ALDI Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

Found 27 reviews matching the search See all 5,379 reviews
overworked and no respect
Part Time Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydney Western Suburbs NSW11 April 2019
Awful place to work.
Horribly understaffed and overworked, the place is run on a skeleton crew doing the jobs of ten people with only 4.
Zero respect or work culture, honestly the most unenjoyable job ive ever had, terrible work life balance.
Pros
Cons
over worked and no respect
my time at aldi
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydney Northern Suburbs NSW9 April 2019
Only worked there for a short period , i enjoyed the work and my fellow workers who would always offer a lending hand to train me. I was answering customer questions, replenishing stock and cleaning.
Pros
the people
Cons
Could have done something better with my life
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bentleigh VIC12 March 2019
Fast paced and required heaps of upper body strength for packing shelves in bulk. Store manager was a pig who would insult you and swear at you in front of customers and stared at you hiding in an aisle off to the side thinking you couldn’t see him. I could have better spent my time doing a more menial job than working for ALDI.
Pros
I got to work at a store location 5 mins from home
Cons
Store manager vile rude pervert
Unrealistic expectations (do not work for this company)
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Western Australia8 March 2019
Minimal staff resulting in you having to do everything insanely fast there’s no time to catch your breath.

Only had two people for specials nights, customers yelling (why don’t they put more staff on) & getting angry at us because sometimes will have to wait over 5 minutes to be served.

You had to be incredibly fast you will either sink or swim and mamangement don’t care about you.

I couldn’t even take a full break most days because when it was busy I had to go on tills even though I’m eating.

If you do something that’s not up to Aldi standards you will get in trouble. There’s time management sheets to make sure you are within Aldi time frame allocated.

The turn over rate is massive and I don’t blame anyone that leaves. You leave because you had enough of the politics and unfairness you received everyday even though you tried your hardest.

I can’t reconmend working at Aldi unless you want to sacrifice your livelihood, mental and physical health.
Pros
Pay was good
Cons
Unrealistic expectations
Horrible
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC26 February 2019
Horrible. Spent 3 years and never promoted from within always got people from outside. Constant work on weekends 8-9 hour shifts meaning you have little time for friends/family/partners.
working there was good
Store assistant (Former Employee) –  Melton VIC25 February 2019
aldi is a good retailer to work for. stable position. good work environment most important the skills you learn to run and maintain a super market are given to all store assistants.
productive work area always busy. never a dull moment. i was always excited to turn up to work.
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beenleigh QLD19 February 2019
great team to work with
always happy to see each other and always lend a hand if needed or asked.
welcome customers everyday by saying hi and good morning
Pros
great pay, friendly
Cons
strict procedures.
Heavy physically demanding job with unrealistic expectations
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mudgee NSW17 February 2019
They pay you more as they don't pay for another 5 employees. So you have to do five times more to earn little extra. If you have no other option then take it or find something else.
Pros
Little high salary
Cons
Nothing else
Great company and workplace
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Queensland13 February 2019
It's fast paced work, and a lot to learn, but they don't push you into the deep end. They train well, pay you well, and treat you well. They offer higher positions, corporate health care benefits (bupa), counselling services, financial crisis help, and probably more I havent heard of.
Pros
Excellent pay, great training, work isnt ridiculously hard, treated well
Cons
Rotating roster
Hard work, but rewarding pay
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brookvale NSW10 February 2019
It's a good job - can be physically demanding. Very good training. Sometimes management is a little too young. Doesn't hire many older people. More male employees. Task orientated. Time limits on everything. Competitive. Many employees are asked to work even if they are sick, which results in them getting more sick. Managers can be uncommunicative. High pressure and demanding. Not very flexible with families - reluctant to let you leave on the job in an emergency.
Pros
Good pay, well looked after, challenging
Cons
Hard physical work, little or no sick cover, not very flexible with families
Toxic work environment with unrealistic expectations.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ellenbrook WA27 November 2018
Management prefer band aid solutions as opposed to actually fixing issues both within the pillars of management and their training, as well as the awful culture promoted their. Despite many of my fellow co-workers working well past their contract hours and having next to no work-life balance, they were criticized as being lazy and poor workers. This is not a company that cares for people, they only care for results. They expect far too much and give far too little resources and manpower which leaves employees feeling over worked and underappreciated. I did not enjoy going to work, I did not feel obligated to go above and beyond the call of duty. I waited too long to leave.
Pros
Relatively high per hour pay
Cons
Everything else
Poor management
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Maryborough VIC22 November 2018
After working within a close knit team at Woolworths the atmosphere within the store in regards to team members and management made it impossible for me at work safely and happily..
Hard working environment, not much room for growth
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shepparton VIC12 November 2018
great if you want to work hard, the days go pretty quickly. You are given a lot of responsibility which is good but on the other hand that sometimes makes it feel like others aren't doing an equal amount of work, including managers.
Not much of a workplace culture. Very early starts and long hours sometimes.
As there is already 3 or 4 managers, there isn't much opportunity to progress from a retail assistant position.
Pros
good pay rate, given responsibiltiy
Cons
early starts, no growth opportunities
A Brilliantly Vibrant Exciting Culture
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxenford Gold Coast Australia7 November 2018
Working for this company was great. Building great customer re poor on a day to day basis, face to face was a great experience. Knowing the customer/s individually and seeing them regularly was very helpful to my Customer Service that i provided. I learnt and improved on Customer Building, Customer Relations and meeting Customer needs. Management was clear and I found that the tasks given to me were helpful and straight forward.The team that I was working with were always communicating, pro active, positive,helpful and happy. Because the position that i was in whilst I was working for this Company and the physicality standard required for this position (Store Assistant) I found very challenging and exciting. The different variety of foods and the international wide range of choice was very exquisitely knowledgeable.
Pros
First Choice of International Stock
Cons
Doing the same task continuously day to day
Poor Company Structure from initial training to Basic Job Requirements depending on Management
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC26 October 2018
Poor Work Performance after nearly 14yrs of Excellent Work Performance
Worked like Robots, No incentives for good work performance.
"Girls should be able to lift what guys can", Management once informed me!
One Manager started conversations to Staff Members with 1 word Vial language.
Pros
RSA Paid for
Cons
Ridiculous Work Management works on favouritism, Pressure and Time Limits, Pay Cut decrease, No Staff Discount
Avoid if you can unless you only care about the money
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newcastle NSW22 September 2018
I’ve worked at ALDI for a few months and instantly I regret working there. The work life balance is non-exsistent, they don’t care about your private life at all, you either work at the crack of dawn (as early as 6:00am) or as late as 11pm, and then they expect you to work another 6-9 hour shift the following day. Sometimes you would spend 5 to 6 hours on the registers, the only positive of that is the fact that it’s a good way to pass the time. They also promised me that you get every second weekend off, but I haven’t had the weekend off since my FIRST WEEK!!! Their time expectations are unrealistic, they expect you to run at least 3 large loads of products in 1 hour, ALL BY YOURSELF!!! The management is tolerable, some managers are a lot nicer than others. The employees are okay, however, some can be rather righteous and up themselves if you don’t know something or do something wrong, so they do make you feel stupid which doesn’t help your self-confidence nor self esteem, you also struggle to fit in with the team, because all they talk about is work and nothing else. The registers are old and out-of-date, they don’t even have a change calculator, so if you end up losing money from your till, the managers instantly put the blame on you. And the last point I want to highlight is the fact that a lot of their procedures and methods are rather pedantic and over-the-top, a lot of them are unnecessary and time-consuming, which is ironic considering they care a lot about time. I could go on and talk about a few more issues but this review would go on forever. On the whole, if ALDI  more... is your only option (like it was for me) then by all means take it for the money but don’t work there for too long, if another offer arises whilst you’re working at ALDI, TAKE IT!!!  less
Pros
Good pay (you definitely earned it!)
Cons
Promises and benefits unfulfilled, long hours, no work-life balance, anti-social and “rude” employees, old methods.
the place full of job satisfaction
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stanhope Gardens NSW9 September 2018
I love to work in ALDI, It is really a good experience of multi-task in a retail business. ALDI is a place to enjoy workloads, deadly time-lines with good management.
Pros
job satisfaction
Cons
time-lines
Nice people but always on call
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Miranda NSW23 August 2018
the people are lovely and management was always nice and attentive but you always felt like you were on call regardless of rostering or set hours, and there is so much theft that is out of control (customers not employees)
Pros
Manegement
Cons
pressure, job hours
fun
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gladesville NSW17 July 2018
was good job I enjoyed working for them the hours were flexible and the pay was fantastic. great job experience to have and helped me build confidence and learn new skills for futer jobs
Horrible and mentally draining
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD10 July 2018
I've been with Aldi for two long years and can't wait until my last day. This company does not care about their staff, you are nothing but a number to them. Their time expectations for running load or putting produce and meat out - or every single task in the shop, really - are extremely unrealistic to achieve unless you don't mind having sore shoulders and back and ruining your body. It is pretty much impossible to hit their time targets. And it is stressful to constantly feel as if you are not going fast enough. They don't care about your work life balance, they will put you on night shifts for two months straight, and you won't get your two days off in a row. Or your week will be a mix of 5am starts and 10pm finishes with no regard for your sleep schedule. Aldi believes they own your whole life, they do not allow you to request a certain day off a week for recreational sports etc, and will make you go on a limited roster where you are paid less than other store assistants if you need certain days or times off. You are not offered your legal 15 minute break on a 4 hour shift unless you ask for it, and there is a feeling you get that the company doesn't think a 4 hour shift deserves a break. Managers also suggest to you only taking one of your legally required breaks if the day is running behind (which is often). Working for this company has drained me mentally and physically and I would not recommend it to anyone, unless you are desperate. And even then, please don't stay for years and let Aldi own your life.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALDI. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K