ALH Group

ALH Group Employee Reviews

Australia95 reviews

3.1Work–Life Balance

There was good days and average days.

When i worked there, the management didn't have enough grave staff, I took on to much work and responsibility mentally over worked I did mostly every thing.

The industry standard

ALH is not better than any other hospitality group. Management is disjointed with little communication. You are often alone with management not in sight. At a busy venue, you are payed the same to do more work. Paid rest breaks also do not exist within my venue, and I have never been paid overtime for working over 6 hours without an unpaid break. This job has drained me mentally. I am expected to do much more than just be a bartender. In fact, I am barely behind the bar. The Woolworths group 5% discount, fuel discount, and the 50% venue hot food discount is nice tho. Overall this group is no different from the rest, but they’re all horrible. If you really wanna work in Hospitality, find a venue you like, make sure you like all your co workers and especially management, and are ok with working horrible hours.

Pros

Benefits, live music

Cons

No paid rest breaks, no overtime, management, work culture, training

Horrible

Horrible work culture. You are absolutely just a number. Minimum pay. No job security. Horrible treatment and overall over worked and no help, always understaffed my first shift I was left alone on a 11 hour shift no break and no expierence getting screamed at by chefs and under pressure with customers and co workers.

Pros

Cons

horrible hours, inconsistent, never finish when rostered, always told to stay back never asked, poor management attitude

Some staff and most customers are great

Management insular, elitist and play favourites with young ambitious people at least before they get burnt out and leave! Multiple issues of timekeeping, staff levels, demarcation and more never addressed or solved.

Pros

Woolies discount card..half price meals while on shift if permitted to eat

Cons

Everything else

bad management. poor communications

bad management for majority of there hotels. they’ll call you in for a shift an hour before you have to be there. they treat there employees poorly and have no regard for your life outside of work. they will make you work over time but not pay you for your overtime work

Great people, not the best work culture.

Profits before employees. 45-50hr weeks, paid for 38hrs for most tiers in management. Some really great people work in the company though are not appreciated which is sad to see. Not up to date with current industry standards of work/life balance. High turnover of staff.

It was okay

No work to life balance. Always short staffed. Higher management always want to cut cost. You’ll be forced to come in to work even when you’re sick. Company doesn’t pay fair

Undervalued, low wage for high effort.

The greater your work ethic and effort you put in, the harder and longer you’re worked without recognition or appreciation. Toxic management. Micro management.Best way to survive is put your head down, do your job and live your life.

Productive,gives you chances to inspire with your work and learn new dishes and create your special dishes

Had not a great experience always stressed but i was happy to work and produced good professional results not only taking the responsibility after head chef's absence but looking after kitchen chefs,rostering staff,ordering,stock taking,cooking ,training new staff and many more things which require day to day job.I looked my self as a head chef after a good 8 years of working experience in various restaurants but left the sous chef position because head chef would not appreciate the work i do,always gets pushed and fake behaviour.i decide not to work for them after october 2020 working long hours affected my health and I was diagnosed with thaiorid.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Long hours, not getting paid for those extra hours, pushed by venue managers, head chefs to work 45 hours a week, Christmas time those hours exceeds, More pressure, more stress to perform better every day, to produce good results, when staff has conflicts, arguments head chef won't resolve in professional manner.

Very fun workplace, workplace environment is fast paced and lots of opportunities for career advancement.

Needs to be more staff training on the job not just computer based courses. A higher competitive salary for managers and less hours. The workload that is expected of managers is massive. Staff turnover is very high and the company seems to be hiring Non English speaking background staff who are very hard to train and cheap labour.

Pros

Team members are great to work with, fun, accepting workplace. Managers are fantastic

Cons

Very long hours, expected to work overtime, and not paid for it. If including overtime worked, as a manager I am on $22 per hour, with a masters degree and 15 years experience.

No work life balance

I worked for the company 10+ years, no work life balance, long hours, always short staffed, never got a real sit down 30 minute break, always eating on the run

Pros

Management have meals provided

Cons

Long hours, no work life balance..management always work all weekend.

staff who work hard you do yourself and we all get along

I work as a bistro supervisor so i work lunch till 2.30pm then i would go to gaming till 5,30pm and back to bistro to do dinner till 9 - 9.30pm. i have learned alot over the years about beer and spirits .managment changes all the time but i love changes, workplace culture we treat each other with respect as well as having the same knowledge as we need to do all the same courses, the hardest part of the job is when you dont get a break and the most enjoyable part is seeing your customers that come every week

Pros

being told getting renovations

Fast pace

Overall the experience is great. You have the flexibility to express your creativity. However, work and life balance is one of the reason why i left. Shifts starts at 10 and finish at 10 also. If you are keen on standing 11hours a day this job is for you. Expect volumes of people on specific times and days. Culture wise, it’s very diverse. Friendly staff and easy to get along.

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Long hours, busy

Poor management

Poor management no communication, and low morale seems to be rewarded, no one seems to actually want to serve customers or do any work and management is fine with it

Pros

5% discount at Woolworths 50% meals at venues

big company , just a number doesnt care about the workers

big company , just a number doesn.t care about the workers, pay is average, they never listen to the people in charge ie venue managers and head chefs, there procedures are out dated, they haver no idea whats happening in venue level, no perks

I met some awesome fun people

It was a fast paced busy environment with a lot of split shifts and weekend work to be expected. About 150 staff so was easy to make friends and we would serve on average 300 people for lunch and 300 for dinner every day, huge turn over at the time. There was a lot of gossip but thats to be expected in hospitality, just don't play along and you'll be fine. Hard work but if you like being physical on your feet its good excersise.

Pros

Free knock offs after every shift

Cons

super super busy

Excellent would recommend to anyone starting out

Have worked with Chester Hill hotel since 2017 it’s like a second home staff are amazing patrons are wonderful boss’s have always been compassionate and care about your wellbeing before anything else would highly recommend anyone to start with the hospitality industry through alh group

Pros

Friendly staff great work environment easy to work with teams

Cons

Distance

The job was not what was offered.

Other staff to busy to explain in full what was required, first pay period was short one days pay. Have been chasing the pay but no result, so far. Asked about roster, still waiting for a truthfull answer. Still waiting a return phone call about being short a days pay this cycle.

Pros

Cons

No personal interest, Managment not interested in problem solving

Not the worst job, but not the best I’ve had.

Where do I start? Oh. the wages aren’t great. Not only did they incorrectly pay you but you had to check your wages all the time?! There were honestly very lazy staff members there (particularly in gaming) and the gambling customers were rough characters who didn’t understand “what personal space” meant. The venue manager had favourites (unprofessional). The place wasn’t real sanitary.

Pros

Free appetisers and soft drinks

Cons

Underpaid and overworked.

The days went fast

It's fast pace and keeps you on your toes. The teamwork is brilliant in most places and the majority of all of the customers were nice. It's a nice start into the hospitality career.

I love this company and I want back to work there again

now we got COVID 19, that why I have to stop work about 2-3 months this company very good pay and relax work just you love hard work, all team all good

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALH Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare ALH Group with

• ALH Group
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?