Anaconda
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Anaconda Employee Reviews

Australia41 reviews
Casuals used to start up at opening and then manager hired friends and slowly stopped giving shifts to all the original casuals to make way for her friends
Pros
Great hours to start
Cons
Not many shift given until there were none
A typical day at Anaconda starts of with recovery of store. My store is a fairly small store which means we do not have specific departments to work in which really fostered good relationships between all team members. A down side to this is sometimes having lack of knowledge when assisting customers in places such a fishing which not many staff knew about. My shifts can range anywhere from 10 hours to 3 hours it all really depends on the seasonal timing. Everyone in my store has a really good relationship and view each other as mates which in turn creates an environment that makes you want to come into work every shift. There is wide range of ages and ethnicity's in the store and I have never had issue with not getting along with anyone.

Product Knowledge nights I find are key in understanding some complicated products but as they are unpaid there is often a lack of attendance and not much incentive.

At my store I find our manger really down to earth and easy to talk to. She is also not afraid to tell you if you are doing something wrong. They are always up to have a chat and you can tell she does care about your well being at work. The assistant manager can be very hard to talk to sometimes.

The hardest part of the job is constantly missing your 10 minute breaks due to surges of customers and constant staff changeovers. The team member discount is also bad, the sale price is often cheaper.

I personally was never trained on how to use the registers and had to figure out what everything did on its own, It wasn't to much of any issue as I was previously working
 - more...
Good environment, friendly work mates, good manager
Not enough shifts, inconsistent pay/ pay rate.

Abit of favouritism, lack of communications from team leader, delegation
Depressing and disorganised place. A typical day would be serving customers at the register, answering the phone, unpacking stock, and doing recovery. Management was unapproachable and most had fairly poor social/communicative skills. Workplace culture isn't good and there is no staff discount, pretty low morale between staff at the location I worked at. The hardest part of the job was answering specialised customer questions without knowledge of products (since there is no training), and dealing with emotionally unstable managers. Also never received a uniform in the correct size or got all of the legally required breaks. If you're casual you won't get many shifts so don't rely on this job for a source of income. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with interesting customers who were friendly.
Loved working there, l enjoyed the work loved the customers and most of the staff are very friendly l sold the the the tracking shoes and clothing and got to share alot of shorts with customers and staff.
Pros
Friendly place to work
Cons
Not payed enough
enjoyed helping and sharing knowledge and experience with customers
learnt a lot about different products for those camping hiking or travelling overseas to cold or warm climates

loads of online training only- hardly any specialized team members to help in individual areas

felt management need to focus more on the stores range of products, support and praise team members in individual areas
Pros
rep training nights and interesting customers who loved sharing their experiences
Cons
refilling gas bottles hours on end
A typical day at work will include a range of customers which all require different levels of knowledge and confidence to deal with/serve.
On the job I learned about retail skills including layout and merchandising

The workplace culture is generally happy however always busy.
I found the job fun and a great team place environment. was a shame that after my traineeship I was finished with the position.

I would like to go back and work but no positions available.
Pros
Work Colleges
Cons
Did not continue job after traineeship ended.
Worked here for almost a year and a half, management I was very disappointed with. company and staff deserved a lot better. hard working staff was not appreciated by a particular manager. Day by day, weren't sure what you were doing, so it kept it diverse and interesting. I learnt the importance of being customer focused.
Anaconda is a fun workplace but has a very poor advancement system and poor management. After being promised and trained for a promotion, the promoted job was outsourced to someone else. No communication within the management and poor work/life balance and unfair consequences for being sick or not being able to find someone to cover a shift.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Poor management
The management does not care for the well being of the employees what's so ever. You are made to believe that you are very unimportant and easily replaceable part of a machine that destroys your health by overloading you with work. They cut cost from the employees, take less people on shift and simply overload them.
One of the worst places to work at. It does not deserve even 1 star.
Pros
Cons
A lot of work, minimal pay
A few really greaat people in the mix. Overall a lack of direction and upper management not able to recognise talent and work ethic when it was right in front of them. No wonder we all left!
A typical day involves opening of the store at 8:50am, team meeting, recovery of all departments then focus on customer service and sales targets.
Management isn't great. My store has had no manager for over a year and our team leader and key holder have been over worked and underpaid for the time and effort they put in. Regional management do not care for staff. We had a armed robbery just moments before they arrived to check on the store and all they could do is criticise our work completely disregarding what had just occurred and how it had affected staff.

The hardest part of the job is managing customers and tasks to be completed by the end of the day. Not many shifts are given due to a constant store budget which makes it difficult to have financial stability.

Workplace culture is probably the most enjoyable part. All staff get along and always help each other out even when it's busy.
Pros
Decent hours in a single shift
Cons
Poor management
Working at Anaconda always had its good and bad days. a typical day was organising the store to look neat and tidy. i learnt so much with the time of being there, such as good customer service, ho to work a till and much more. the management was decent enough i managed to get through the 9-10 months i was there with minimal training. it always had a fun vibe about it which i enjoyed. the hardest part about the job was the hours.
Pros
awesome pay
Cons
too far away
Cannot comment for all stores, but the store I worked in had very low morale.
Stores are separated into departments, with little overlap, and everyone is out for themselves. There's little camaraderie between departments, or any incentive to help out.

Theft is the most difficult part of the job, with repeat offenders wasting staff time and resources, as well as major break ins every two months or so. This makes it hard to maintain stock integrity.

Staff training seminars for potential leaders is ok, but lacks any follow up in a practical setting.
Pros
Great place to hone skills
Cons
Theft, low morale
putting out stock, helping customers out with anything in the store and working the counter processing payments and putting through transactions as well as doing refunds and gift cards
Pros
free food and work discounts
Cons
A lot to remember in the store
worked mainly weekends as a casual worker. I would generally be asked to roam the store and assist customers with anything. This would include answering and any questions they had and helping find the right product(s) that would best suit their needs. For example camping in a cold climate.
- Fast paced and fun working environment
- Develop your leadership abilities

- Australian-owned global retailing success

- Develop your store, your way in this autonomous environment

- Team discounts across a wide range of products
Pros
team discounts
Cons
Not much in terms of training. Your life will be easier if you already possess product knowledge.
Learning new things everyday especially about product knowledge and how the computer systems work. The workplace culture is healthy with an encouraging atmosphere for learning.
Pros
Two 10 min payed breaks
Cons
Not many shift
I learned to work well in a team and to educate myself on the products, to ensure I was able to give good customer service.
Everyone gets along well.

The hardest part of the job is wanting to learn more but being restricted to one area in the store.

The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new people and being apart of a team
Pros
Work hours that work well around your daily routine that best suit you
Cons
Restricted to one area
poor management (only since new management took over), poor quality in standards regarding the policy and safety, and little to no appreciation for employee's extra efforts.
Pros
Amazing co-workers and opportunities
Cons
poor management and treatment towards employees