Play YouTube video button

ANZ Banking Group Employee Reviews

Featured review
ANZ Banking Group selected this as a representative review
A great company with lovely employees and great work culture.
COLLECTIONS ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC2 April 2017
Busy environment, working on the phone to recover outstanding debt. The computer program is rather complex and training is for a full month. It was challenging and I truly enjoyed every minute of it.
I loved the atmosphere as I was surrounded by like minded people as myself; who were enthusiastic, high achievers, friendly and warm. I learned a lot about time management and pushing myself to exceed daily target limits, which became really fun. Staying really focused was very important but on lunch breaks we had great facilities we could use such as a play room a relax room or the beautiful balcony areas they have at ANZ for everyone to enjoy mingle have a laugh, get to know each other and reset.
Pros
facilities to unwind
Cons
travel
Stressful at times
System Engineer - Email Messaging (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC1 October 2018
My last few years working in messaging team I would arrive at work to deal with any incidents logged by the helpdesk or alerts generated by the systems. Then had to work through the jobs, talk to the staff about email issues and resolve them. I learned a lot of things over the years. When I first started at the bank, the workplace culture was excellent. Staff engagement was good. Lots of staff incentives.
The hardest part was being on the pager, after hours work and the general stress of trying to resolve computer problems when there might be no solution.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the customers to resolve their computer problems. I enjoyed the problem-solving part of the job and customer satisfaction.
Pros
Good Benefits like superannuation, overtime etc
Cons
The sudden changes to your job role.
Being agile in Banking
Senior Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW9 September 2018
I have been fortune to have a great coach and mentor at the beginning of my career with ANZ. I had my colleagues' support to gain knowledge about products and policies, understand processes and regulations, identifying risk and find ways to overcome them as well as providing excellent customer service.

Due to the great workplace culture and support among staff members and managers, I was able to drive and be passionate about my responsibilities and duties, and were able to join the Management Development Program at ANZ this year that provides me with the necessary skills and knowledge to be a manager and to run my own branch.

I would say that customers are more demanding than a few years ago. Which means you need to build excellent customer relationships, dealing with their problems and provide outstanding outcomes in order to win their trust and loyalty.

As digitalisation is a big part in banking, customers do not walk into the branches anymore. You need to get in touch with them and to invite them in for an A-Z Review. Not everyone is keen to make cold calls.

Our roles and responsibilities have changes recently. Changes are implemented in small steps at ANZ whereas other banks take less time to incorporate customer feedback.
Pros
Building customer relationships
Cons
Products or services been implemented that have no benefits for the customer
Busy with no two days the same. Can be very stressful dealing with certain customer circumstances
Personal Banker/Teller (Former Employee) –  Loganholme QLD13 December 2018
Pay and benefits are appropriate, but often do extra work and time with no pay. Customers and staff are great to work with. Each day is busy and fast.
Pros
Variety and opportunity for progression and study
Cons
Not enough hours in the day to complete all work
Great team environment
Mortgage Customer Service Consultant (Former Employee) –  Wellington, NZ8 December 2018
A typical day was structured. I'd log in, take calls from customers, and have scheduled breaks for my day. I learnt a fair bit in this role regarding Australian mortgages and lending requirements, interpersonal skills, teamwork and bonding skills, patience and tolerance, to name a few. Management changed on the regular due to development and promotion opportunities, and most the time there was disruption to the team culture, but everyone brings something new. The culture of the workplace could be draining as a lot of the time, you're dealing with distressed customers who make that very clear to you. I would say that was the hardest part of the job, and working very late shifts to align with Eastern Australian time. The most enjoyable part of the job was being in a young, fun and diverse team.
Pros
Social outings and team culture
Cons
Late shifts and lower wages
Hard work and sometimes long hours but very rewarding
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  South Adelaide SA6 March 2018
I worked my way from trainee to manager over 6 years, working a further 4 years as a manager. I had some wonderful opportunities and met some equally wonderful staff and customers at various branches. The business model can leave managers feeling like a jack of all trades and a master of none as you juggle competing priorities. You have to enjoy the complicated sales of home loans in business name structures and business banking in general to be really successful. However it is so rewarding when you and your team get it right. Upon reflection and in comparison to another big4 financial institution that i now work for the computer systems are pretty good and you could normally get support when you needed. It can feel a little isolated in rural locations and you are certainly aware your performance may be the difference between your branch staying open or being closed. There are peak periods where you really earn your salary but i always found senior leadership to be supportive even though you are in a sales environment and the pay was generally quite good.
Pros
Job security, always a challenge, poor performers get managed.
Cons
Long hours, sometimes very complicated sales/maintenance.
Team collaboration.
Team Lead/Engineer (Current Employee) –  Dockland Melbourne2 December 2018
A typical day involves incident and problem management. Incident management involves responding to incident alerts out of Service Now tool, performing necessary triage and ensuring service is restored as per service level agreements. Problem management involves the strategic analysis of issues (repeat incidents, functional issues) and centres around more complex change with in depth testing. Team leading the ANZ data warehouse team (IBM mainframe application) ensuring priorities are being met and aligned to KPI. What I learn each day is that it is the people that matter most in any team and that a champion team will always out do a team of champions. Simple things like a thank you or job well done goes a long way in building trust and respect. Work culture is imperative in any organization so that people feel happy and respected in the work place. The hardest part of any job in IT Support is maintaining a constant vigil on its systems so that stability and integrity is not compromised. This requires constant monitoring and staff training so that we are always on the forefront of potential issues. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people and everyone succeeding in delivering stable/quality systems which in turn supports the business.
Pros
Great coffee machines.
Cons
Maintaining work life balance.
Onboarding of new staff needs much improvement
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Traralgon VIC3 January 2018
A typical day at work was always out of control. So many meetings, fixated on targets, poor communication between branches/head office/IT. A very chaotic work environment. Upper management not prepared to listen and take on new ideas/suggestions. The people I worked with were mainly very nice and helpful, but not so much management. The hardest part of the job was getting your head around all the many (many) and varied systems used in the workplace and the lack of training/coaching in this area to support you. Plus systems always seemed to be going off line when needed most.
Pros
Salary was above expectations.
Cons
Long hours - regularly working back late.
Business fundamentals and culture poor
Senior Manager, Customer Acquisition (Current Employee) –  Docklands VIC22 November 2017
GOOD
- Reasonable salary/bonus & offices
- Working hours generally not crazy
BAD
- Management largely disappearing due to change to agile working model, however remaining senior management/executive uninspiring and unavailable. No mentoring, no charisma, no inspiration. Most things happen in somewhat clandestine manner.
- Many issues with internal technology & facilities which make every day a chore.
- Culture is insular and not conducive to change - difficult to make connections as an outsider.
- People are largely incapable of effecting necessary large scale change due to embedded culture and personality types - very little communication with anyone other than long term ANZers/close friend groups
- Ineffective or unclear division of duties across some silos and somewhat inconsistent organisational structure to other Big-4 banks
- Dominance of ultra-conservative legal team is hard to deal with.
Great Work Life Balance
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW4 September 2018
Great people and fantastic work life balance. Career progression and seems to be lacking, but isn't non existent. Would recommend this employer to anyone wanting to work in the banking industry.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Slow career progression
Productive place but lot's of uncertainty and instability.
Change Analyst, Continuous Improvement (Former Employee) –  Docklands VIC12 November 2018
Overall I enjoyed working for ANZ. However, too much change was happening all over the place so with managers changing all the time it was difficult to stay focused and have support with any personal or career development.
current disconnect to true Customer service culture
Teller- Bank Manager- Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Sydney ,Melbourne , Illawarra Sth Coast3 June 2018
Once an amazing place to work for! Now more disgruntled workers than happy ones based on having many acquaintances over 26 years of service.
Training plentiful, targets mismatched to reality, coaching brutal, no appreciation for long term experienced yet flexible staff.
Get a feeling its out with the old & in with the new staff regardless of valuable input to customer insights, relationships built & returns for the business.
Management robotic, no humanity shown. Shame to see some good people turn this way, I think it helps them to have a lack of conscience to deliver on the new agendas in Banking.
Pros
Training opportunities
Cons
under value staff & clients
Great Place to work but management is hit or miss
Small Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC3 May 2018
Unfortunately there are WONDERFUL managers and then there are terrible ones who do not understand the current environment or the managers are too young and inexperienced. These managers are detrimental to the company and the work environment. The greatest managers outweigh the bad. Fun culture and great systems overall. Great people focus internally and externally. It was a great place to work.
Pros
Great culture and work life balance
Cons
Some managers are not great
Great Place to work! I would defiantly recommend to join.
Consultant - Credit Officer (Current Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC23 April 2018
Amazing work culture. Balanced work life. Pay and promotions are average. Some issues with forecasting of workload. Job security is a concern, however, you won't be asked to leave immediately like other banks.
Pros
Flexible work place environment
Cons
Bad forecasting
Great place for a career in Financial Services
Post Assessment Associate / Checking Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC29 October 2018
Good working conditions and remuneration. Competitive pay rates, uniform allowance, fee free bank account, staff discounts on home loans etc. Ability to progress through the company is excellent.
Declining Opportunities
Senior Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW1 October 2018
Heavy focus on drastically reducing FTE and cost across the bank. Staff are focused on their own survival and not on the long term operational imperatives of the organisation.
Cons
No job security; heavy FTE reduction for the long term
Great place to work, enjoyed the challenge and experiences
Typist / Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Katherine NT11 June 2018
ANZ Bank really challenged me in a different field that I had been used to, but I loved the fast pace and the chance to learn about the banking world. I worked mostly with the Managers in the Lending area, and in those days I typed by Dictaphone all the Lending applications and some of the business ones could be up to 20 pages long.

There also a lot of forms that would type for the applications as well.

I also was the main person to look after the very busy switchboard and this was a very busy role as then customer services was done locally. The branch held 4 Managers and 6 Manager assistants plus up to 12 tellers.

I was trained to order cheque books for customers and ordered stationery including banking stationery.
Pros
Great environment to work in
Cons
Could be stressful at time with overload of work
Very grey environment
Senior Software/Database developer (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW6 August 2018
Not a great place to work, big drinking culture.
Lots of finger pointing, nobody is willing to put their hands up for anything.
Dysfunctional management.
Good work-life balance
Customer Resolution Specialist (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC1 May 2018
ANZ is a good place to work due to good working environment. However, there is limited opporunties to get permanent roles and staffs are lacked of securities due to restructure
Pros
Pay and work-life balance
Cons
lack of job security
Great work Atmosphere
Delivery Manager/Program Test Manager (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC2 September 2018
Learnt a lot in this organisation. Challenging projects. Delivery of the projects is never compromised. Its all about process and procedures. Support from the higher management always.
Productive workplace
Bank Teller & Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  New South Wales1 May 2018
- A challenging workplace as an entry banker
- Definitely needed a lot of sales experience
- Work Life balance culture adopting environment
- Have to be very good with the numberes
Pros
Free Staff parties
Cons
Weekend shifts

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ANZ Banking Group. Our community is ready to answer.