ASC Pty Ltd
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

ASC Pty Ltd Employee Reviews

Australia13 reviews
Friendly place to work
Good training

Relaxed atmosphere - no stress

Included as part of the team

No room for advancement as I was a contract worker
Working at ASC is great, I've been here for 7 years, the people that work here are of the highest standard when it comes to skills and knowledge, I highly recommend working here
I enjoyed my time on this project. I was given the opportunity to lead twenty tradesmen
I wouldn't hesitate in recommending ASC as a place of employment
Not impressed by ASC.....there’s a lot of
problems with the Collins Class submarine

which is exacerbated with depth increase ....

Engineers are more or less museum curators ....there

There is no will to improve or to modify / upgrade an ‘old’ submarine which has numerous flaws which had not been improved over 25 years ....
Pros
Not a lot
Cons
A very antiquated management style ....the style of an old shipyard
Very strong on quality and service also lots of interesting work, no shortage of help from the engineering department,
Smoking breaks,and lunches where a great time to communicate with peers.
Pros
Exercises at the start of the shift
Cons
Overtime
Does not reward employees that do a good job, too many managers without a clue, who make terrible decisions based on the opinions of a select few, without investigating issues correctly. HR department is a recruiting department and don't uphold the law in regards to working conditions. Managers allowed to treat staff however they like and HR department quite happy to participate in bullying practices themselves.
Pros
They do pay well
Cons
Too many managers, who don't care about the wellbeing of staff. They make sure they tick the boxes, by chucking in phrases such as, work life balance, without actually encouraging practices, to make this possible for workers.
Was the best job I have had. I miss the excitement of the job requirements. Supporting the submarine service involves travel around Australia and overseas. The wages are the best in Adelaide for our trade especially now that the car industry is finished.
Pros
Good wages and conditions
Cons
Can't think of any
A world class shipbuilding facility . A friendly co-workers at all discipline with respect to everybody rights were bullying and harassment strictly prohibited. A pleasant ,clean and safe work environment. Exceptional results of our individual and collective works,
Typical day, providing technical engineering support to the production team in a timely cost effective manner that meets all the technical regulatory requirements for submarines. I have learnt how to provide an high quality product that all internal and external customers respect. Management tend to push persons beyond their capabilities to seek weakness, this is then identified and adjustments are made. Then hardest part of the job is the continual expectation of doing for example 10 hours solid work in less than the agree 10 hours. The most enjoyable part is seeing the fruits of everyone hard work come out in things like the Coles Report. without the team spirit that is ASC this would have not happened.
I can honestly say I have learnt a lot about my own limitations and expectations within a high profile job that I am currently in.
Pros
Comradery
Cons
Long Hours with no financial rewards
A typical day at work would have me installing pipe or changing pipe to meet with updated drawings/changes. Brazing pipework or getting pipework Tig welded by a qualified Tig welder. Also pressure testing of pipework and equipment in a group or in pairs.

I have learned a lot while working at ASC AWD, I've learnt how to properly install, prepare, braze pipework and also how to use small bending machines and all sorts of different special tools. I've learnt about pressure testing pipe work on a large scale, and how being a team or small group can be more effective than being solo.

Management of jobs was near non existent. The workers were given tasks that would cross over with other trades, and we would be told to "work it out" or "just work in with them". A common statement from management was "it is what it is". This would make it very hard to get things done on time and to avoid damage of pipes and equipment.

The leading hands have become the supervisors in that they give everyone their jobs and have to sort everything out because the people above them aren't doing their job.

Management often make major mistakes and are never told off or held accountable for them, it would always fall down to the worker to fix it. They would often push the worker to work faster and would rather speed over quality. Often telling people to cut corners to save time or money.

New ideas which would increase production times and save money were often not looked at because in the short term it costed money, even though in the long term you'd save thousands.

The trade managers and above all
 - more...
Pros
Good co-workers, Good money, Proud of job when completed.
Cons
Short break times, badly managed, canteen food is average at best.
Unique business, the only nationally owned shipyard in Australia responsible for building AWD and maintaining the Collins class submarine fleet.
Pros
Great location and facilities
Enjoyed working for myself and feeling competent in my works.
Typical day; computer, workshop and meetings.
Learned; project management

Co-workers; good workers

Hardest part of job; fighting up hill battles

Enjoyable part of job; winning battles and seeing my work being used by others
Pros
utilises by previous experiences