ASC Pty Ltd Employee Reviews

Run for the hills, stayed too long.....
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Henderson WA2 September 2017
Does not reward employees that do a good job, too many managers without a clue, who make terrible decisions based on the opinions of a select few, without investigating issues correctly. HR department is a recruiting department and don't uphold the law in regards to working conditions. Managers allowed to treat staff however they like and HR department quite happy to participate in bullying practices themselves.
Pros
They do pay well
Cons
Too many managers, who don't care about the wellbeing of staff. They make sure they tick the boxes, by chucking in phrases such as, work life balance, without actually encouraging practices, to make this possible for workers.
A well discipline and friendly co-workers
Welder (Former Employee) –  Osborne SA4 February 2017
A world class shipbuilding facility . A friendly co-workers at all discipline with respect to everybody rights were bullying and harassment strictly prohibited. A pleasant ,clean and safe work environment. Exceptional results of our individual and collective works,
Team Environment, Fantastic results by all
Senior Technical Officer (Current Employee) –  Osborne SA9 January 2017
Typical day, providing technical engineering support to the production team in a timely cost effective manner that meets all the technical regulatory requirements for submarines. I have learnt how to provide an high quality product that all internal and external customers respect. Management tend to push persons beyond their capabilities to seek weakness, this is then identified and adjustments are made. Then hardest part of the job is the continual expectation of doing for example 10 hours solid work in less than the agree 10 hours. The most enjoyable part is seeing the fruits of everyone hard work come out in things like the Coles Report. without the team spirit that is ASC this would have not happened.
I can honestly say I have learnt a lot about my own limitations and expectations within a high profile job that I am currently in.
Pros
Comradery
Cons
Long Hours with no financial rewards
ASC AWD Shipbuilding
Pipe Fitter (Current Employee) –  Osborne, ENG9 August 2015
A typical day at work would have me installing pipe or changing pipe to meet with updated drawings/changes. Brazing pipework or getting pipework Tig welded by a qualified Tig welder. Also pressure testing of pipework and equipment in a group or in pairs.

I have learned a lot while working at ASC AWD, I've learnt how to properly install, prepare, braze pipework and also how to use small bending machines and all sorts of different special tools. I've learnt about pressure testing pipe work on a large scale, and how being a team or small group can be more effective than being solo.

Management of jobs was near non existent. The workers were given tasks that would cross over with other trades, and we would be told to "work it out" or "just work in with them". A common statement from management was "it is what it is". This would make it very hard to get things done on time and to avoid damage of pipes and equipment.
The leading hands have become the supervisors in that they give everyone their jobs and have to sort everything out because the people above them aren't doing their job.
Management often make major mistakes and are never told off or held accountable for them, it would always fall down to the worker to fix it. They would often push the worker to work faster and would rather speed over quality. Often telling people to cut corners to save time or money.
New ideas which would increase production times and save money were often not looked at because in the short term it costed money, even though in the long term you'd save thousands.
The trade managers and above all
  more... seemed to be doing the right thing however and i generally found the fault to be in the people below them.

My co-workers were in similar situation that i was in for problems with management, and the majority of my co-workers were great people, who often would look out for each other on safety and quality of a job. We worked well in groups and teams and encouraged each other to perform better and better.

The hardest part of the job was constantly having to cut things out that you had recently put in, due to issues with drawings or management not managing the tasks correctly, so therefore crossing over in trades or equipment would result in damaged pipework.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co-workers and installing pipework/equipment to a high standard and having a laugh along the way. I am also proud at the end result at what everyone has achieved.
Having my friends and family with me to see the ship go in the water for the first time was a highlight in the project for me.

Even with all the problems that we have faced over the years, we still enjoy working here because of the people we work with and the pride we take in what we are able to achieve together.

I hope that ASC AWD can make some changes in their management so that the overall job can be completed to a higher standard and on schedule.
Pros
Good co-workers, Good money, Proud of job when completed.
Cons
Short break times, badly managed, canteen food is average at best.
General Manager - Quality and Infrastructure (Former Employee) –  Adelaide19 March 2015
Unique business, the only nationally owned shipyard in Australia responsible for building AWD and maintaining the Collins class submarine fleet.
Pros
Great location and facilities
Loved working for myself
Owner and Managing Director (Former Employee) –  Sydney, Australia5 October 2012
Enjoyed working for myself and feeling competent in my works.
A good company to work for
Senior Production Planner (Former Employee) –  Osborne South Australia8 May 2012
Typical day; computer, workshop and meetings.
Learned; project management
Co-workers; good workers
Hardest part of job; fighting up hill battles
Enjoyable part of job; winning battles and seeing my work being used by others
Pros
utilises by previous experiences