Australia Zoo
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Australia Zoo Employee Reviews

Australia37 reviews
It seems fine if you work in any other area but the hospitality staff are treated so poorly like everyone is replaceable. The female managers in hospitality are really nice the males however are not. The perks of free zoo entry is nice but do you really want to spend MORE time there when you work there?
Australia Zoo comes across as an amazing place to work - it has an international reputation, excellent animal welfare standards, a beautiful environment and smiling faces everywhere.
Beneath the surface however, it is a toxic work environment with little professionalism in how staff are treated. Work has little ownership to it with all accomplishments being attributed to those higher up and little recognition given for what you complete. As a staff member, you're constantly treated and spoken to like a child by management. You're often told off about simple things not mentioned or covered in the short induction you get when starting, and then reminded of these failures (which are not really your fault) for months later.

Nearly everything requires a "sign off" even if they are things you have done previously or have qualifications in. This is not an issue in itself, but some (or most) of these sign-offs don't occur for months after commencing employment with several people in the department having been there for nearly 6 months and still unable to complete the majority of their roles. This becomes highly problematic when trying to plan around who has and has not been signed off on various things, many of them petty tasks that would require 10 minutes of someone's time to be briefed on but apparently that is too much to ask.

Roles are under-paid, with wages barely covering basic living expenses on the Sunshine Coast. Most people in roles are over-qualified for them and the staff turnover speaks highly about this and the above points. In short, staff are treated like expendables
 - more...
This was in incredible experience, with loads of learning along the way. Amazing co-workers and interesting jobs that are bound to keep your attention and leave you loving your job.
Great place to work, really enjoyed the work culture. Australia zoo is in my opinion and experience the best maintained zoo in Australia. Highly recommend anyone with a passion for wildlife to seek out a career with Australia zoo.
What you see on the outside is all fake. Staff smiling and happy are breaking on the inside. I would never recommend anyone to work here. Management, HR and HOD’S are completely full of them selfs and will do anything to make your life miserable . I give any new employee 6 months before they see the REAL Australia Zoo.
All fake.

Do your self a favor and RUN!!
Pros
Seeing amazing animals every day
Cons
Very poor management, pay and treatment
The staff turn over is so high that is states the obvious. No one is safe to work here. Management only care about their status. Depends who you are and who know in this place. I would never work here again even if they promised me all the money in the world. The Italian Mafia are safer, kinder and easier to work for I'm sure. Verbal, mental and physical abuse was very common when I worked here. Simply horrible & terrifying.
Extremely toxic place to work. If you dont conform you are out! They only care about money & fame. Always been this way. Even when Steve was alive. Management are a circus of power hungry monkeys.
The work is easy, but it is a highly stressful place to work. The whole place is nothing but smoke and mirrors.
The high flow of people coming and going, just leads to no one getting trained right or efficiently. You are constantly thrown in the deep end and basically left to figure things out on your own. It always feels like staff are pit against each other. You constantly have to watch what you say, do and how you act. People will try to get you written up and in trouble however they can. There's no team work and no chance of there ever being any kind of team.

Management doesn't think things through properly and always jump on things and cause upset and ripples into all aspects of the zoo. Due to their money hungry ways, animal welfare is shocking and unacceptable. They disregard anything keepers say about the animals and their welfare and tell you that you're easily replaced - hence why there's a high flow of staff coming and going.

They care more about their image and money than anything else. If you can't conform into their puppets then they will make your life difficult.

They don't care for staff at all. And only care about the animals when a camera is around or the public can see.
i love animal my big dream one time I am go to Australia zoo working and help all animal am see avery day australia zoo in animal planet am happy work with australia zoo thank you...
Pros
yes only vegetable
Cons
10 hours
If your love is animals and all that they include then this is the place for you. It is fast paced but a fantastic place to work. The team members are great.
From a glance the zoo appears to be a wonderland!
It’s run by an inspirational iconic family that spreads an amazing message of conservation internally.

Working for the zoo is quite a different experience.

Once you are actually employed by the zoo the true reality becomes very clear.

•The Management creates a terrible work culture.

•Staff are treated like they are expendable.

•hard work is rarely appreciated.

•rosters are unavailable online and are rarely organised more than 2 weeks in advance.

All these cons are expected to be completely overlooked due to the fact that staff should be great full to be working there.
Pros
Get to see animals
Cons
Never get appreciated
Working at Australia Zoo was one of the best experiences of my life. Their atmosphere at the workplace and the other workers made the experience even more enjoyable. I'm so glad I had the opportunity to work there.
Pros
Great atmosphere, really fun.
Cons
Very tired at the end of the day, but nothing wrong with the workplace.
I had the pleasure of working with a great team and seeing things on a day to day basis that I would never dream of seeing anywhere else. Every day was different and projects really forced you to think outside the box and success was rewarding.

If only success was recognised! Ridiculous requests with impossible time lines by management who had zero idea about how to successfully do their job and a neurotic paranoia about any outside assistance or networking.

A toxic working culture permeates upper management and filters down through the personnel in every department. They seem to think that labour is expendable and can always be replaced with another who wants to work at a Zoo.

I would never recommend to anyone to work there.
Pros
Seeing the animals close up
Cons
Management can’t manage
The experience that I gained at Australia zoo was invaluable and set me up for my life long career as a zookeeper. I loved all the time I spent with all the animals that I worked with.
Your day would start with cleaning of enclosures and exercising any animals. I learnt a lot about exotic animals and got to do presentations and communicate with the public
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
Long Hours
I learnt so much and had great exposure to how a zoo works and what is required. I worked in many different sections and loved the animals and people as well as being busy all day.
Pros
Dealing with animals and lovely staff
Cons
Hard to get a permament job.
Volunteering is a great opportunity and provides experience working with animals and interacting with customers. Lovely staff that treat you well, opportunities to learn.
I worked for Australia Zoo a few years ago and although enjoyed aspects of the role, the recruitment, day-to-day, and turn over of employees was poorly managed. The environment is heavily female orientated and employees are treated simply as tools (in my experience). The travel was inconvenient and the long walk to work from the furthest car park on arrival. Some employees were fantastic to work for but the line management were unprofessional and sometimes down right mean. Positives include the animals, beautiful location and discounts on food/drinks and entry for family. Overall I would rate this workplace 2 stars.
Pros
Walking around the Zoo, discounts
Cons
Treatment of employees and volunteers, travel
They are an active and professional organisation with much involvement in outreach and excellent research support. Much opportunity for variety in work.
This job is currently not what I am looking for. I am unhappy with the treatment of staff and the overall running of things.
I do enjoy the surroundings of the environment and seeing the little things you don't see on a normal job basis. The hardest part of the job is school holidays with 4000 patrons inside the zoo.
Pros
Free Entry
Cons
Mentally challenging.
This was a hard job but had its rewards. Obviously it was the animals and not anything else. There was often a lot of bad feeling about how the staff were being treated. The hours were crazy for the amount of money that was being paid a week. We were expected to do overtime with no pay. Putting this aside I did still love the job. It is defiantly a career that is all about work. When I had children I could no longer do this job.
Pros
Animals
Cons
Long hours for not much pay