Australia Zoo Employee Reviews

Zoo Keeper (Current Employee) –  Adelaide SA14 July 2019
i love animal my big dream one time I am go to Australia zoo working and help all animal am see avery day australia zoo in animal planet am happy work with australia zoo thank you...
Pros
yes only vegetable
Cons
10 hours
Such a fantastic place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Australia Zoo7 July 2019
If your love is animals and all that they include then this is the place for you. It is fast paced but a fantastic place to work. The team members are great.
Toxic
All Rounder (Current Employee) –  Sunshine Coast QLD8 June 2019
From a glance the zoo appears to be a wonderland!
It’s run by an inspirational iconic family that spreads an amazing message of conservation internally.
Working for the zoo is quite a different experience.

Once you are actually employed by the zoo the true reality becomes very clear.

•The Management creates a terrible work culture.

•Staff are treated like they are expendable.

•hard work is rarely appreciated.

•rosters are unavailable online and are rarely organised more than 2 weeks in advance.

All these cons are expected to be completely overlooked due to the fact that staff should be great full to be working there.
Pros
Get to see animals
Cons
Never get appreciated
Really Enjoyable Workplace
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Australia31 October 2018
Working at Australia Zoo was one of the best experiences of my life. Their atmosphere at the workplace and the other workers made the experience even more enjoyable. I'm so glad I had the opportunity to work there.
Pros
Great atmosphere, really fun.
Cons
Very tired at the end of the day, but nothing wrong with the workplace.
A great starting point in my career.
Zoo keeper and tour guide (Former Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD24 June 2018
The experience that I gained at Australia zoo was invaluable and set me up for my life long career as a zookeeper. I loved all the time I spent with all the animals that I worked with.
Good place to work as a Zookeeper
Animal Attendant (Former Employee) –  Beerwah QLD22 March 2018
Your day would start with cleaning of enclosures and exercising any animals. I learnt a lot about exotic animals and got to do presentations and communicate with the public
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
Long Hours
Great place to volunteer
VOLUNTEER PLACEMENTS (Former Employee) –  Beerwah QLD24 February 2018
I learnt so much and had great exposure to how a zoo works and what is required. I worked in many different sections and loved the animals and people as well as being busy all day.
Pros
Dealing with animals and lovely staff
Cons
Hard to get a permament job.
Fun place to work. Interaction between customers and staff
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sunshine Coast QLD18 February 2018
Volunteering is a great opportunity and provides experience working with animals and interacting with customers. Lovely staff that treat you well, opportunities to learn.
Reasonable remuneration but terrible treatment of employees
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Beerwah QLD12 December 2017
I worked for Australia Zoo a few years ago and although enjoyed aspects of the role, the recruitment, day-to-day, and turn over of employees was poorly managed. The environment is heavily female orientated and employees are treated simply as tools (in my experience). The travel was inconvenient and the long walk to work from the furthest car park on arrival. Some employees were fantastic to work for but the line management were unprofessional and sometimes down right mean. Positives include the animals, beautiful location and discounts on food/drinks and entry for family. Overall I would rate this workplace 2 stars.
Pros
Walking around the Zoo, discounts
Cons
Treatment of employees and volunteers, travel
Active, friendly and exciting
Conservation Science Educator (Former Employee) –  Weipa QLD29 November 2017
They are an active and professional organisation with much involvement in outreach and excellent research support. Much opportunity for variety in work.
Highly motivating work environment, with a fun variety of staff.
Barista, Waitress, Front Of House, Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Beerwah QLD28 September 2017
This job is currently not what I am looking for. I am unhappy with the treatment of staff and the overall running of things.
I do enjoy the surroundings of the environment and seeing the little things you don't see on a normal job basis. The hardest part of the job is school holidays with 4000 patrons inside the zoo.
Pros
Free Entry
Cons
Mentally challenging.
Native mammals animal keeper (Former Employee) –  Sunshine Coast QLD28 September 2017
This was a hard job but had its rewards. Obviously it was the animals and not anything else. There was often a lot of bad feeling about how the staff were being treated. The hours were crazy for the amount of money that was being paid a week. We were expected to do overtime with no pay. Putting this aside I did still love the job. It is defiantly a career that is all about work. When I had children I could no longer do this job.
Pros
Animals
Cons
Long hours for not much pay
Supervisor
Supervisor of staff in Reception area (Former Employee) –  Sunshine Coast14 August 2017
Supervisor of staff in Reception area
Formulation of systems, Policies and Procedures
Supervising and training the staff in reception in all key areas of responsibility
Maintaining a high standard of Customer Service in Reception Department
Seven-day week roster for staff, Staff reviews
Ensure commitment of confidentiality and privacy
Attending meeting requested by Management
Monthly Statistical reports to HR/ Management
Support to other Departments
Encouragement, guidance and coaching to team
Assisting team with taking bookings and maintaining documentation of work coming into Department.
Relating with other Departmental Supervisors and Customer Service Manager
Booking tickets for cruises – processing on specialized programme.
Wonderful experience and a dream job
minilab operator and animal keeper and handler. (Former Employee) –  Beerwah QLD20 May 2017
Fantastic experience..learned a lot and had once in a lifetime opportunities that no where eles could offer..but management is a disgrace..not what you know but who or what you look like..staff turnover so high as a consequence. Departments run by in experience or cutthroat people that are in for themselves..bulling culture. Management seem to belive that there will always be someone to take your place.
Pros
Awesome experiences
Cons
Bad management
Productive and fun
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane30 April 2017
A typical day involved me being told where to go for that day then being told what I needed to do. I cleaned enclosures and I made sure the animals had food and water. I helped people find different enclosures.
Pros
good experience
Great first job!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Beerwah QLD22 April 2017
Uplifting to know you are working at a place that cares so deeply about animal conservation. Very different place to work! Not everyday you see a wombat walk into an office, but it's a common thing at Australia Zoo!
Pros
Testing all the animal encounters!
Changing the world and enjoying every minute!
Director of Marketing (Current Employee) –  Beerwah QLD19 March 2017
Australia Zoo represents many things to different people. It is a world-class tourist destination to many bringing the joy of animal interactions to multiple demographics - from children straight through to the elderly. It is also a world class conservation facility, led by the Irwin family, bringing awareness for the need to protect our wildlife and wild places globally.

Working with these goals in mind provides such a feeling of achievement for both me and my family every day. I could not recommend Australia Zoo enough!
Pros
Enjoyment of our patrons, global conservation and very family friendly.
Cons
Never enough time to do everything you wish you could!
Awesome work environment surrounded by animals!
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sunshine Coast QLD4 March 2017
Each day at Australia Zoo does not feel like work, as it is such an awesome environment to be a part of. The staff are fun and happy, we have lots of laughs, I love the positivity and upbeat vibe. OMG the animals are so cool, where else can you see a tiger cub walk past and staff are given opportunities to meet the animals, so far I have met tiger cubs, dingo puppies, otters, koalas all while 'working'. I love the commitment to conservation and the funding of a free wildlife hospital for sick and injured native animals.The Irwin's are incredible and to see Steve's legacy continued is totally awesome and to be a part of it is so special. Go Team Australia Zoo!
Pros
Animals and more animals.
Cons
None.
Best Place To Work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Beerwah QLD28 January 2017
Staff at Australia Zoo are the most wonderful people I have ever met. The opportunities for personal and professional growth are amazing. It is like no other place and it is awesome to be a part of this team! It makes me proud to contribute to global conservation and having a job that can make a difference! Every day I come to work in a beautiful natural environment and get enjoy being around animals. I have worked in education, hospitality and public service previously and this is hands down the best job!!!!.
Pros
Our direct Family get into the zoo freee of charge
Cons
Nil
Great workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beerwah QLD22 October 2016
·Creating rosters, ordering stock each month & writing incident reports for my superiors
·Doing sales and admissions in the morning with a wonderful team of people

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Australia Zoo. Our community is ready to answer.