Australia Zoo Management reviews

Lovely animals and grounds and staff keep the place beautiful.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Australia12 September 2019
What you see on the outside is all fake. Staff smiling and happy are breaking on the inside. I would never recommend anyone to work here. Management, HR and HOD’S are completely full of them selfs and will do anything to make your life miserable . I give any new employee 6 months before they see the REAL Australia Zoo.
All fake.
Do your self a favor and RUN!!
Pros
Seeing amazing animals every day
Cons
Very poor management, pay and treatment
Stay away...horrible people!!
Keeper (Former Employee) –  Beerwah QLD6 August 2019
The staff turn over is so high that is states the obvious. No one is safe to work here. Management only care about their status. Depends who you are and who know in this place. I would never work here again even if they promised me all the money in the world. The Italian Mafia are safer, kinder and easier to work for I'm sure. Verbal, mental and physical abuse was very common when I worked here. Simply horrible & terrifying.
Toxic
Zoo Keeper (Former Employee) –  Beerwah QLD3 August 2019
Extremely toxic place to work. If you dont conform you are out! They only care about money & fame. Always been this way. Even when Steve was alive. Management are a circus of power hungry monkeys.
Like being in the show Survivor - gotta outwit, outplay and outlast everyone
Zoo Keeper (Former Employee) –  Beerwah QLD29 July 2019
The work is easy, but it is a highly stressful place to work. The whole place is nothing but smoke and mirrors.
The high flow of people coming and going, just leads to no one getting trained right or efficiently. You are constantly thrown in the deep end and basically left to figure things out on your own. It always feels like staff are pit against each other. You constantly have to watch what you say, do and how you act. People will try to get you written up and in trouble however they can. There's no team work and no chance of there ever being any kind of team.

Management doesn't think things through properly and always jump on things and cause upset and ripples into all aspects of the zoo. Due to their money hungry ways, animal welfare is shocking and unacceptable. They disregard anything keepers say about the animals and their welfare and tell you that you're easily replaced - hence why there's a high flow of staff coming and going.
They care more about their image and money than anything else. If you can't conform into their puppets then they will make your life difficult.
They don't care for staff at all. And only care about the animals when a camera is around or the public can see.
Toxic
All Rounder (Current Employee) –  Sunshine Coast QLD8 June 2019
From a glance the zoo appears to be a wonderland!
It’s run by an inspirational iconic family that spreads an amazing message of conservation internally.
Working for the zoo is quite a different experience.

Once you are actually employed by the zoo the true reality becomes very clear.

•The Management creates a terrible work culture.

•Staff are treated like they are expendable.

•hard work is rarely appreciated.

•rosters are unavailable online and are rarely organised more than 2 weeks in advance.

All these cons are expected to be completely overlooked due to the fact that staff should be great full to be working there.
Pros
Get to see animals
Cons
Never get appreciated
Reasonable remuneration but terrible treatment of employees
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Beerwah QLD12 December 2017
I worked for Australia Zoo a few years ago and although enjoyed aspects of the role, the recruitment, day-to-day, and turn over of employees was poorly managed. The environment is heavily female orientated and employees are treated simply as tools (in my experience). The travel was inconvenient and the long walk to work from the furthest car park on arrival. Some employees were fantastic to work for but the line management were unprofessional and sometimes down right mean. Positives include the animals, beautiful location and discounts on food/drinks and entry for family. Overall I would rate this workplace 2 stars.
Pros
Walking around the Zoo, discounts
Cons
Treatment of employees and volunteers, travel
Supervisor
Supervisor of staff in Reception area (Former Employee) –  Sunshine Coast14 August 2017
Supervisor of staff in Reception area
Formulation of systems, Policies and Procedures
Supervising and training the staff in reception in all key areas of responsibility
Maintaining a high standard of Customer Service in Reception Department
Seven-day week roster for staff, Staff reviews
Ensure commitment of confidentiality and privacy
Attending meeting requested by Management
Monthly Statistical reports to HR/ Management
Support to other Departments
Encouragement, guidance and coaching to team
Assisting team with taking bookings and maintaining documentation of work coming into Department.
Relating with other Departmental Supervisors and Customer Service Manager
Booking tickets for cruises – processing on specialized programme.
Wonderful experience and a dream job
minilab operator and animal keeper and handler. (Former Employee) –  Beerwah QLD20 May 2017
Fantastic experience..learned a lot and had once in a lifetime opportunities that no where eles could offer..but management is a disgrace..not what you know but who or what you look like..staff turnover so high as a consequence. Departments run by in experience or cutthroat people that are in for themselves..bulling culture. Management seem to belive that there will always be someone to take your place.
Pros
Awesome experiences
Cons
Bad management
Fast Paced with loads of fun
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Beerwah QLD26 June 2016
• Greeting and assisting customers with professionalism.
• Operating the Steve’s Safari Shuttles, coordinating large amounts of people through the sight seeing shuttle.
• Giving Informative talks on the animals, throughout the zoo.
• Meeting and exceeding occupational health and safety guidelines whilst driving the public on the shuttles
• Assisting with cleaning of animal enclosures as required
• Time Management
• Operating the children’s rides
Pros
got to see all the animals
Cons
n/a
Management have no common sense
Not important (Former Employee) –  Beerwah qld3 August 2015
I had the pleasure of working for this backwards company and all I can say is I was shocked at the lack of oh&s.
From public safety to their own staff

It seems that some of the management staff only have a job because of who they know not what they should know.

Which might I add most management staff have no idea what is required to complete the day to day operations of the business.
Also the main manager doesn't understand that to run a business you need to turn up to work.

Staff get the pleasure of being promised zoo tours which you may never get.

If you are casual they will not give you many hours,
They want you to wait around till they decide they need you (which is school holidays)

Feeding frenzy has a very high turn over of staff due to mismanagement of the day to day requirements of the high public profile that the company is expected to uphold.
They don't appreciate their staff & on a daily basis all staff are treated like they can be replaced at the drop of a hat.
Regards
Good luck
Pros
20% staff discount on over priced food
Cons
Poorly run by management
No Recognition, No Security, Unfriendly Management, Short Hours
Customer Service and Hospitality (Former Employee) –  Sunshine Coast14 July 2014
I worked at the feeding frenzy, which is the company which runs the food court and vending machines inside Australia Zoo. I have spoken to other employees and ex employees and the feel the same. Firstly micro-management of staff slows down everything, we cannot even give a refund or make a change to the cash we returned, the procedures are slow and frustrating on staff and customers. Secondly their is no recognition, over Christmas we would all work over-time for free and less time on breaks etc. and the team or individuals would never get a simple well done or thanks. Thirdly the management was stuck up and thought they were the best, pretended to be professional, friendly etc. but were the complete opposite, the training was minimal, expectations high, no fun, no flexibility. Fourthly they sent you home after 2 hours if it wasn't 'busy enough', you needed to sign literally 20 forms to get the job, make promises and never go through with them and rip off prices. The feeding frenzy has put a bad name on Australia Zoo, i recommend not working for this section.
Pros
Seeing animals after work
Cons
Short hours, Low wage, Terrible management, No recognition
A day at Australia Zoo
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Australia Zoo, Beerwah, Queensland22 March 2014
I work as a volunteer at Australia Zoo, assisting with Animal Welfare and general keeping. I have learned about different animals and wildlife within the zoo, also sustainability projects on keeping the wildlife safe and secure. Management is excellent always ensuring workers are safe and enjoy their roles at the zoo. I have worked with all of the animals in the zoo and also assisted in educational programs such as ZooKeeper for the day. This is an educational program aimed at kids from 6-15yrs, where they get an experience of being a ZooKeeper for the day. All of my co-workers are great and I enjoy working with them. I have found that they are adaptable and have a genuine love for the zoo and its role. There is nothing hard about this job as I enjoy working and being there, so everything is great. The only problem is it is volunteer work and I am looking for something full time. I have learned excellent customer service skills and dealing with people from diverse cultures.
Pros
everything
Cons
nil