Australian Army
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Australian Army Employee Reviews

Featured review
Australian Army selected this as a representative review
Physical activity, marksmanship, teamwork, self discipline, courage. An excellent working environment and team culture. Learnt first aid, and have worked in many challenging environments.
I joined the Australian Army at 17. As a young kid thats all I wanted to do after seeing my father serve. I completed 17 years and seen many amazing things and learnt a lot and matured. The Army was my a part of my family.
Pros
Great incentives
Cons
Hard on a family life. Lots of time away
A typical day consist of physical training for an hour then breakfast. After breakfast you parade at our company and wait to be given tasks to complete throughout the day before you go home.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Long periods away for home
This job role, among many others within the Royal Australian Army Ordnance Corp (RAAOC) is the most unfulfilling, under paid and over worked role within the ADF. You are assigned to a unit after a short period of employment training (3 months), and upon arrival you and your peers become the target for all problems in the unit regarding logistic support. The ADF's supply chain and logistic processes are SEVERELY flawed, archaic and unnecessarily over engineered to conduct even the most simple of transactions and exacerbated by inept leadership within RAAOC. The hierarchy cross all ranks of the Chain of Command, consists of "yes men" who will put the needs of themselves and their image over the needs of their subordinates; the same can be said about The Army as a whole. There is little to ponder regarding the increasing discharge rate for this job role and Army, especially among Junior Non Commissioned officers(JNCO)/lower enlisted. You will be expected to undertake the worst tasks, completely outside the scope of your job role, make up for lost time outside of work hours, have no work/life balance and be paid peanuts to do so
Some deadlines and work commitments are unrealistic and with the downsizing of personnel the work output is increasing exponetially. Work starts at 0700 and finishes at 1600. The workplace culture is dependant on what area you work at. The hardest part of work commitment is the family moving from area to area to change schools and friends.
Wonderful career, I wish I could go back into the Army. Lots of friends and very good Management Every day is a different day for you to work and see other things to do. Top place to work.
People skills were needed Hard work learn to work as a team. Met so many fools but so many great people ,travelled all over Australia and over seas too
The highs and lows are in the extreme. Fast pace and also very dull at times. Create Great friendships and learn lots. Not family friendly and just remember your literally just a number. Recommend for every young person.
0600 wake up, I would either be running the regiment for PT or participating this would start at 0730 with a parade before hand at 0700. Then straight into work for the day. I learnt a lot and gains so much confidence in public speaking and teaching large groups of people. Hardest part of being in the Army was the uncertainty of work sometimes you could be called to honour field or away to a different state and only have 24hrs notice. It was all part of the fun thought and the army culture was very diverse and welcoming. My favourite part of the job was working with a team and being able to train and work along side them.
I was in the Army Reserves for 2 years and the Australian Regular Army (ARA) for 4 years. I found the Reserves to be quite enjoyable. If you're interested in the Reserves and your employer is ok with it, I recommend having a go. In my experience, the ARA combat roles are a shambles. I experienced a drinking culture,low-ranking supervisors were often alcoholic losers, being yelled at often, old equipment, lack of direction, culminating in an inability to win asymmetric wars or even acknowledge they have been lost along with shockingly poor mental rehabilitation rates for psychological injury from such campaigns. There is literally too much time in the day most days so the heirarchy get the soldiers to do pointless activities to keep them occupied. Around 80% of the soldiers I did Initial Employment Training (IETs) with either quit or corp transferred to a non-combat role once their 4 year tenure expired. In summary, I do not recommend a combat role in the ARA, however non-combat roles, or any role in the Army Reserve may be worth looking into.
Pros
Mostly financial - rent assistance (ARA), free medical/dental etc.
Cons
No life outside of army
Don't ever go as Warehouse Assistant or Warehouse store man. It's one of the most boring, unfullfilling and just overall death by random b*llshit taskings. You get smashed out field and don't get the appropriate pay for it. For the work for our units and the Army, we do we are truly underpaid. Makes sense why the discharge rate is so high in these 2 jobs. Take my advice and don't bother signing up for these 2 jobs.
You start the day with PT, depending on what is planned you may be furthering your skills, doing lessons, playing sport, you may be at the range. Everyday was different.
Worked in RACT, got all my tickets including MC and my forklift. Best part is I could transfer them over to civi saving myself thousands. Typical day is from 0730-1600. Much easier than in Civi street where you could be working 80 hour weeks doing the same thing. Only downside was frequent exercises and disorganised chain of command.
Pros
Free medical and road train ticket
Cons
Disorganised chain of command
The Australian Army is a very busy career that is not suitable to a lot of the younger generation due to the restrictive lifestyle/home tempo, requires a very disciplined and flexible lifestyle. Does come with a lot of opportunity for career advancement and salary bonuses. The opportunity for a very active lifestyle and the opportunities to travel.
A typical day while not on exercise would be physical training in the morning followed by orders for the day. From there, the team would work towards the objective together that upper management set, generally maintenance of equipment or preparation for exercise/ deployment. A corporal is the leader of a team of 4 or more soldiers, commanding and leading them to achieve the objective in the most efficient way. A corporal needs to ensure the duty of care of the members in their team on top of the task itself. You spend the majority of the year away on exercises ranging from squadron/ company level exercises to brigade level.
I joined at 17 in 1989 and discharged in 2012. Self discipline and teamwork as well as respect for others was the biggest reward in got for working in the full time army.
Pros
Not all 9 to 5, got paid fortnightly, and was a secure job
Cons
Had to shave every day
As this isn’t technically a job for a student it is a bunch of fun and you can receive a lot of benefits for joining such as leadership and management skills. Would highly recommend doing some research about it and joining
I did not work in Australian Army Cadets, but was a Youth Cadet. The training was in accordance with military standards, meaning it was strict and disciplined.
The Australian Army is a large corporation, unfortunately the members, Corporals, and Privates that truly want to make changes are shunned and ignored or made to work twice as hard to make changes. Eventually, it is not worth their time and effort so they discharge. The ones that are left behind are those that float through life following the same pathway as those 30 years prior. "The way we've always done it" is a poor reason to not change.
Heartless people serve in the army with unprofessional fitness trainers who don't know how to work on individual training techniques. They don't know what muscles to use for each exercise. Civilian fitness trainers are far better and far professional that the useless physical training instructors in the the army.
  1. Employee Reviews