Australian Army Employee Reviews

Very fun, enthusiastic and lost of communication
Enogerra army barracks (Former Employee) –  Ipswich QLD31 January 2019
The army produced a living space for the people who train to fight for our country. This three day experience for me was very eye opening and enabled me to connect with mature people whom respect themselves and the workplace around them and the people who they work with known as best mates or family to them. I learned communication is a key part to staying in touch while your working so things don't mess up. The hardest thing I learned was well alot cause it's the army. Overall I enjoyed being in work condition and I always put in my full effort even if it's not needed.
Pros
Respect and teamwork
Cons
Not long enough lunch break
Great security and adventure
Cargo Specialist (Former Employee) –  Townsville QLD21 January 2019
My review on the Australian Army would be that it is a fantastic environment to seek out adventure and challenge yourself.
Not everyday is the same and I recommend it to everyone.
would like to still be there
Cook (Former Employee) –  Perth WA14 January 2019
The best years of my life enjoyed the life style and the culture enjoyed the travel and the challenges that the Army gave to you every day. Food was good too.
Always get paid but that' about it
Artillery Gunner (Former Employee) –  Northern Territory14 January 2019
I enjoyed the constantly changing work day but majority of the people who have stayed in long enough to make Army a career have no other life skills and don't know how to motivate their diggers.

p.s they lie to you constantly
Excellent team work and mateship
Various positions (current rank Lance Corporal) (Current Employee) –  Canberra ACT6 January 2019
Excellent working environment, either on base or while on exercise. Involves a lot of hard manual labour, but still very rewarding, depending on what your role is.
Pros
A great experience to get you out of your comfort zone
A rewarding career
Information Systems Technician (Former Employee) –  Australia29 December 2018
The army has given me a lot that most jobs would not have. I have seen a lot of this and other countries and acquired fantastic skillsets while being paid a premium wage.
Pros
Wage, Benefits
Cons
Location Stability
Motivating and Rewarding place to work.
Infantry (Current Employee) –  Adelaide23 December 2018
Great place to learn new skills and life experience. Great people to be around with a long and traditional culture. Able to progress and great learning opportunities.
Great experience for young people
Oakleigh - Cadet Under Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC5 December 2018
A great learning opportunity for young and adventurous people. It is excellent training, discipline that develops survival skills for any person. It will provide the young person skills for training, child care, health and sports development.

Applying for Army reserve will also provide those skills for any person.
Pros
Fantastic learning for a ypung person
Cons
Active and on the go with survival camps that may not suit some people
Great envirnoment to be part of
Cadet (Former Employee) –  Oakleigh VIC1 December 2018
A great place to be employed, it comes with many benefits and is a worthy organization to be part of.
The best thing about the Australian Army is the people you meet there.
Learnt a lot
Information Systems Technician (Current Employee) –  Adelaide SA25 November 2018
good job to gain a sense of accomplishment

many fitness test to keep me in shape

easy money

get to shoot guns and learn valuable lessons and skills
Secure employment at the cost of work life balance and employee rights
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sydney & townsville21 November 2018
As imagined the army is an oppressive enviroment as you are managed by people who are promoted based on time in rank as opposed to merit. Morale is very low in the army at the lower ranks as they are poorly managed.
Pros
Secure employment and money
Cons
Management, worklife balance, rights as an employee
Fun environment
Combat Engineer (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD19 November 2018
The army teaches you lots of stuff about yourself. You can strive to be the best or complete at a bare minimum level. Lots of medical benefits and if you find yourself working with good guys, the bad days turn out good
Pros
Medical, free dental
Cons
Long hours, field
Never get bored
Executive Assistant to Hierarchy (Former Employee) –  Townsville QLD7 October 2018
Everyday is something new.

I enjoyed the physical part of this job, the PT everyday was really fun. I enjoyed my role as it was very diverse, and was always challenging myself.
productive challenging
Gunner (Former Employee) –  australia20 September 2018
great place to work at, challenging physically when on exercise, great travel benefits and healthcare. and great mates and colleagues. always a learning environment.
Hard yet rewarding work
Communications Operator (Former Employee) –  townsville22 August 2018
A day at work within the Australian Army is never the same. I learned to be more confident and to back myself. The hardest part of the job was being away from family and friends for long periods. The most rewarding part of the job was the experiences you gain and the adventures.
Pros
Great wages, job security
Cons
Long periods away from home
Australian Army
Steward (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW21 August 2018
In the Army, you get posted around Australia every three or four years.
I was single and I didn't have kids to move around, so I was okay.
There were many divorced or de facto members.
Make sure your partner is okay with this.
Being a soldier isn't just a job; it's a lifestyle, a culture.
When I was still in, they were called the 'Soldier Career Management Scheme'. Everybody just called them SCEMA.
They pretty much told you where you're getting posted. (Conditions of Service, a contract you sign before you join the Defense Force).
But you could ask SCEMA very, very nicely where you wanted to go.
Like any Army, you have to go through Boot Camp first.
Boot is a big culture shock for some people. Be prepared to be yelled at, lots of exercise and pack marches.
Then they put through Corps training, such as Transport or Infantry.
And then you're in.
Pros
Good work culture
Cons
Every jobs had it's ups and downs. I didn't have a problem with any of it.
Professional Organisation
Administration Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW30 July 2018
An excellent career path, no matter what job you choose to do, especially for a young person wishing to challenge themselves or use as a stepping stone for an a different career path. The organisation is one of the most respected and well paid in the world compared to other armed forces. Career progression is based on merit, should you wish to go all the way, there is nothing stopping you. Depending on which of the hundreds of jobs you choose to do, you'll be offered positions all across the country. It is a wonderful organisation to work for, who provide wonderful family support amongst a wonderful netwrok of people.
Good
Administration Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Darwin NT19 July 2018
Good job security and excellent benifits. Excellent opportunity to travel and experience other culture's around the Country and the World. The minority or Military personnel are highly professional and goal orientated.
ok
Armoured Vehicle Driver (Former Employee) –  Driver NT18 July 2018
for such a big organisation that is meant to deal with national security but cant handle simple paper work is bit of a worry.
although i leant heaps in my time in the army it wasnt without alot of misleading paper work and wrong instructions from the chain of comand.
Pros
free medical
Cons
training is to the minimum standard unless you are a "favourite'
Secure and very rewarding working environmnet
Chief Clerk and Operational Planner (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW17 July 2018
13+ years. I enjoy my time in the Army and relish any opportunity that comes my way.

I am focusing on moving forward and effecting change in my life with a greater focus on work/life balance.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Australian Army. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3