Australian Army
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
Here to help: Coronavirus update
Updates from Australian Army:

Australian Army Employee Reviews

Australia212 reviews
Featured review
Australian Army selected this as a representative review
Excellent
Physical activity, marksmanship, teamwork, self discipline, courage. An excellent working environment and team culture. Learnt first aid, and have worked in many challenging environments.
Great, Fun place to work
Good career
Wonderful career, I wish I could go back into the Army. Lots of friends and very good Management
Every day is a different day for you to work and see other things to do.

Top place to work.
Tough at first but hung in there
People skills were needed Hard work learn to work as a team. Met so many fools but so many great people ,travelled all over Australia and over seas too
Excellent life skills and friendships.
The highs and lows are in the extreme. Fast pace and also very dull at times. Create Great friendships and learn lots. Not family friendly and just remember your literally just a number. Recommend for every young person.
Overall
0600 wake up, I would either be running the regiment for PT or participating this would start at 0730 with a parade before hand at 0700. Then straight into work for the day.
I learnt a lot and gains so much confidence in public speaking and teaching large groups of people. Hardest part of being in the Army was the uncertainty of work sometimes you could be called to honour field or away to a different state and only have 24hrs notice. It was all part of the fun thought and the army culture was very diverse and welcoming. My favourite part of the job was working with a team and being able to train and work along side them.
Lacks direction
I was in the Army Reserves for 2 years and the Australian Regular Army (ARA) for 4 years.

I found the Reserves to be quite enjoyable. If you're interested in the Reserves and your employer is ok with it, I recommend having a go.

In my experience, the ARA combat roles are a shambles. I experienced a drinking culture,low-ranking supervisors were often alcoholic losers, being yelled at often, old equipment, lack of direction, culminating in an inability to win asymmetric wars or even acknowledge they have been lost along with shockingly poor mental rehabilitation rates for psychological injury from such campaigns. There is literally too much time in the day most days so the heirarchy get the soldiers to do pointless activities to keep them occupied. Around 80% of the soldiers I did Initial Employment Training (IETs) with either quit or corp transferred to a non-combat role once their 4 year tenure expired.

In summary, I do not recommend a combat role in the ARA, however non-combat roles, or any role in the Army Reserve may be worth looking into.
Pros
Mostly financial - rent assistance (ARA), free medical/dental etc.
Cons
No life outside of army
Dont sign up for these 2 jobs.
Don't ever go as Warehouse Assistant or Warehouse store man. It's one of the most boring, unfullfilling and just overall death by random b*llshit taskings. You get smashed out field and don't get the appropriate pay for it. For the work for our units and the Army, we do we are truly underpaid. Makes sense why the discharge rate is so high in these 2 jobs. Take my advice and don't bother signing up for these 2 jobs.
Constantly learning, fun, stressful, mateship
You start the day with PT, depending on what is planned you may be furthering your skills, doing lessons, playing sport, you may be at the range. Everyday was different.
Secure job, away quite often
Worked in RACT, got all my tickets including MC and my forklift. Best part is I could transfer them over to civi saving myself thousands. Typical day is from 0730-1600. Much easier than in Civi street where you could be working 80 hour weeks doing the same thing. Only downside was frequent exercises and disorganised chain of command.
Pros
Free medical and road train ticket
Cons
Disorganised chain of command
Highly competitive and busy career not for everybody
The Australian Army is a very busy career that is not suitable to a lot of the younger generation due to the restrictive lifestyle/home tempo, requires a very disciplined and flexible lifestyle. Does come with a lot of opportunity for career advancement and salary bonuses. The opportunity for a very active lifestyle and the opportunities to travel.
High tempo and adventure
A typical day while not on exercise would be physical training in the morning followed by orders for the day. From there, the team would work towards the objective together that upper management set, generally maintenance of equipment or preparation for exercise/ deployment.

A corporal is the leader of a team of 4 or more soldiers, commanding and leading them to achieve the objective in the most efficient way. A corporal needs to ensure the duty of care of the members in their team on top of the task itself.

You spend the majority of the year away on exercises ranging from squadron/ company level exercises to brigade level.
I joined when I was 17
I joined at 17 in 1989 and discharged in 2012. Self discipline and teamwork as well as respect for others was the biggest reward in got for working in the full time army.
Pros
Not all 9 to 5, got paid fortnightly, and was a secure job
Cons
Had to shave every day
Australian Army Cadets
As this isn’t technically a job for a student it is a bunch of fun and you can receive a lot of benefits for joining such as leadership and management skills. Would highly recommend doing some research about it and joining
Strict and Disciplined
I did not work in Australian Army Cadets, but was a Youth Cadet. The training was in accordance with military standards, meaning it was strict and disciplined.
Not modern and as adaptable as it should be
The Australian Army is a large corporation, unfortunately the members, Corporals, and Privates that truly want to make changes are shunned and ignored or made to work twice as hard to make changes. Eventually, it is not worth their time and effort so they discharge. The ones that are left behind are those that float through life following the same pathway as those 30 years prior. "The way we've always done it" is a poor reason to not change.
Terrible
Heartless people serve in the army with unprofessional fitness trainers who don't know how to work on individual training techniques. They don't know what muscles to use for each exercise. Civilian fitness trainers are far better and far professional that the useless physical training instructors in the the army.
Experience of a lifetime
The best and worst times of your life.
After initial training, which can be 3 -6 months, you will move to a unit to be employed in your trade. From there the Army is what you make it. Want to work hard with professionals and accomplish tasks? You can do that, Want to put in minimum effort and whinge with a bunch of likeminded types? You can do that too. Rewards for effort are rare, but they are sweet, and reprisals for lack of effort will result in you losing the most valuable thing to a soldier, your personal time.

Individual experience may vary. See the World? Maybe. Go to war? Maybe. Get injured? Probably.

You will make the best friends, and even if you do make enemies, you have to have a begrudging respect for them, for they are like you. They signed the dotted line that said they will give up some of their rights, or even their life, to protect the rights and freedoms of others.
Great for self development
A great place to be if you want a challenge and see what you can do and be amazed at what you can achieve if pushed hard. I found it the best job I have ever had and I wish I had never hurt my back otherwise I would have had retired there.
I can order latter
Can you help me order my partner similar workplace services please pick up me go her place thanks I will to go home look at my business and my family thanks
Great workplace with a great team around you
Early starts and long days. Great team around you for support and a good chat. The team around you becomes your family away from family and makes it a bit easier being away from family. Beautiful setting but hard work.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Australian Army. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2