Australian Army Employee Reviews

Never get bored
Executive Assistant to Hierarchy (Former Employee) –  Townsville QLD7 October 2018
Everyday is something new.

I enjoyed the physical part of this job, the PT everyday was really fun. I enjoyed my role as it was very diverse, and was always challenging myself.
Hard yet rewarding work
Communications Operator (Former Employee) –  townsville22 August 2018
A day at work within the Australian Army is never the same. I learned to be more confident and to back myself. The hardest part of the job was being away from family and friends for long periods. The most rewarding part of the job was the experiences you gain and the adventures.
Pros
Great wages, job security
Cons
Long periods away from home
Australian Army
Steward (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW21 August 2018
In the Army, you get posted around Australia every three or four years.
I was single and I didn't have kids to move around, so I was okay.
There were many divorced or de facto members.
Make sure your partner is okay with this.
Being a soldier isn't just a job; it's a lifestyle, a culture.
When I was still in, they were called the 'Soldier Career Management Scheme'. Everybody just called them SCEMA.
They pretty much told you where you're getting posted. (Conditions of Service, a contract you sign before you join the Defense Force).
But you could ask SCEMA very, very nicely where you wanted to go.
Like any Army, you have to go through Boot Camp first.
Boot is a big culture shock for some people. Be prepared to be yelled at, lots of exercise and pack marches.
Then they put through Corps training, such as Transport or Infantry.
And then you're in.
Pros
Good work culture
Cons
Every jobs had it's ups and downs. I didn't have a problem with any of it.
Professional Organisation
Administration Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW30 July 2018
An excellent career path, no matter what job you choose to do, especially for a young person wishing to challenge themselves or use as a stepping stone for an a different career path. The organisation is one of the most respected and well paid in the world compared to other armed forces. Career progression is based on merit, should you wish to go all the way, there is nothing stopping you. Depending on which of the hundreds of jobs you choose to do, you'll be offered positions all across the country. It is a wonderful organisation to work for, who provide wonderful family support amongst a wonderful netwrok of people.
Good
Administration Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Darwin NT19 July 2018
Good job security and excellent benifits. Excellent opportunity to travel and experience other culture's around the Country and the World. The minority or Military personnel are highly professional and goal orientated.
ok
Armoured Vehicle Driver (Former Employee) –  Driver NT18 July 2018
for such a big organisation that is meant to deal with national security but cant handle simple paper work is bit of a worry.
although i leant heaps in my time in the army it wasnt without alot of misleading paper work and wrong instructions from the chain of comand.
Pros
free medical
Cons
training is to the minimum standard unless you are a "favourite'
Secure and very rewarding working environmnet
Chief Clerk and Operational Planner (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW17 July 2018
13+ years. I enjoy my time in the Army and relish any opportunity that comes my way.

I am focusing on moving forward and effecting change in my life with a greater focus on work/life balance.
The Australian Army.
soldier (Former Employee) –  Australia17 July 2018
if you want to serve your country, the armed forces are the way to go.
amazing scope of learning and skill sets, very professional, as should be expected.
more suited to the younger single gen as the lifestyle can have a negative effect on family time.
It was good but don't do it as a life-long career
OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Australia11 July 2018
Great education and training opportunities. Poor career management and mentorship. Slightly toxic culture of overworking and peer criticism (talking behind others backs is commonplace). Increasing tendency towards erosion of the chain of command, especially in special forces. Expect and manage these things, and recognise when it's no longer in your interests. I had the privilege to train with people who all expected to go to war - less likely these days so expect to be surrounded by more people who are there for a free ride.
Pros
Professional and personal development in training, pay and conditions
Cons
Relocations, management, bad merit system, negativity in culture
Serving my Country
Soldier (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC20 June 2018
Duties vary it was not just about being a soldier but there is the trade that you sign up for as well sometimes days / duties were hard but that is a part of the job requirements the most enjoyable part was the friends / mates, the life long mates and the respect you got to have in the services
Country
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Kippa-Ring QLD17 June 2018
Great Job serving this proud country and history, I would reckon all young Australians join the Defence Force to gain a skill, trade all some life experience.
Rifleman (Former Employee) –  Singleton N.S.W16 June 2018
Breakfast at 0600 and first parade at 0730. I'd learn about different weapon systems, Army history and ethos. Management was very structure based, with the heirachy of ranks always playing into personal problems and management. Workplace culture was friendship based, however with a strong emphasis on respect. Hardest part of the job would be the unpredictability of the job, and the most enjoyable would be all the different things you learn and the different people from different walks of life.
Pros
Mrdical
Cons
Long Hours
Good Experience
Australian Army Reserve (Current Employee) –  Perth WA16 May 2018
A good life experience where you can go to learn a lot about yourself and the people around you. It provides a sense of adventure that most likely would'nt be had at another job.
Pros
Experience
Great
Company Commander (Former Employee) –  Penrith NSW16 May 2018
Loved doing Army Cadets as a teenager. Plenty of opportunity to rise through the ranks. Learn great skills and have more respect for others. No pay, volunteer only for the cadets.
Adult staff get paid
Pros
Great people
Cons
No pay
Terrible place to work
Private- Driver Specialist/Operator Heavy Vehicle (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW8 May 2018
Australian army has a terrible work life balance.
It is being destroyed by politically correct trying to use it as a social experiment.
The rank are bored and enjoy making people’s lives hard just for the sake of it.
Loved it best decision i made
Corporal, Parachute Rigger (Former Employee) –  Australia1 May 2018
What can I say , I had an amazing adventure with many opportunities for advancement and promotion. All members were looked after and we made many friends and worked as a team. The only real disappointment was the food.
Pros
Access to millions of dollars worth of equiptment
Cons
Food was a little disappointing
Great work environment
Registry Clerk/Movements Clerk (Former Employee) –  Enoggera QLD26 April 2018
Great organisation to serve in and an honour to be apart or such an organisation however its time to move on for me. I believe its time to move on with my life and be a civilian again. I believe any organisation who employs me will benefit greatly from the plethora of skills i have acquired from the Australian Army and my 7.10 years of military experience
Average Work place
Private (Former Employee) –  Adelaide17 April 2018
The day to day work is not too bad. Its good for making good mate and the benefits are good. Free medical and dental and the leve entitlement is good and the salary is really good.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Performance induced and challenging environment
Team Leader and Manager (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW27 March 2018
The army isn't for everyone. The management can be non-existent at times, and living in the field isn't everyone's cup of tea. The work-load can be repetitive and monotonous. Despite all that, I thoroughly enjoyed my time serving in the Australian Army. The people you work with compensate for the negatives. The army is built upon camaraderie and with free medical and dental, the army is definitely a great place of employment.
Pros
Medical, Dental, Pay, Teamwork
Cons
Leadership, Family/work-life balance.
Blind Bureaucracy
Craftsman (Former Employee) –  Sydney22 March 2018
Typically begin with PT - the dispersal to perform daily preparation tasks then commence whatever maintenance was required.

We were educated on appropriate aviation maintenance.

Management was very task focused.

Culture cliquish.

Biggest challenge seemed to be separating professional and personal lives.

Enjoyable - maintenance activities could be quite engaging.
Pros
Job security and wage
Cons
You're stuck

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Australian Army. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3