Australian Army

Australian Army Employee Reviews

Australia229 reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

A good place to work and friendship

Overall a good career and a chance to see Australia and overseas rather in combat or support rolls😀It also has a great physical training section part of your working week As well as great super to support you when you need

Pros

Easy food /all meals supplies

Cons

7 day f/n

Productive and engaging

You get out what you put in..Away alot on exercise but get 1 extra day if leave for every 10 days out field.Great salary and leave over Christmas which is a bonus

Pros

Salary

Challenging and Rewarding - But not for everyone

The army was a fantastic experience with ample room to grow, learn and develop both personally and professionally. Everyday was different and I worked with an amazing group of people. This job is 100% not for everyone, you will be put outside of your comfort zone regardless of role and resilience is definitely needed.

Different and fun

Taught new skills and learn to work in a small team, Pays decent and leadership is like any other government agency a lucky rip, definitely recommend if you want a change of scenery in life

A life changing experience , that has helped me through many of life's ups & downs'

I was in the Army back in the1980s ,my time in was great, still in contact with many friends .i cant say that things are better or worse now ,but it was the best job i ever had .

It's not a Job, it's a lifestyle.

Service comes with many benefits professionally, financially and personally. The training is challenging but rewarding and the College is a world unto itself. Be prepared for zero work life balance during training. Once graduating and moving into the wider workplace, the work life balance improves.Leadership is sub par at the best of times and accountability is a dirty word.Service has it's perks, but think hard, it's not for everyone.

busy and away a lot

The commanders are very hit and miss and can be very dismissive. When not out field the flexibility is great but expect to be away 4-6 months per year

Pros

flexible when not away, great benefits

Cons

terrible commanders

I loved the Army

I loved the Army loved my job loved everything about it. That is until they introduced the PESA testing. They say it’s all corps but it’s very easy for the men hard for the women especially the short ones. Great job though my body just couldn’t keep it up. They will be paying for it in VA claims from women in the not so distant future would be my guess.

A sence/feeling of service

A structured and rank based organisation. Hard work is rewarded. A strong culture of camaraderie and 'supporting your mates.' Remuneration to a significant level with a range of benefits factored in. Great organisational support for additional training.

Pros

Structured work environment, support for personal and vocational development.

Cons

Lack of independence.

Hard work for those capable

Military culture has a lot to make up for. The job satisfaction, self worth and overall vibe is positive, not much feels better than serving your country with people who will become your brothers and life long friends.However tall poppy syndrome is spread wide through the community which can, in some severe cases, affect peoples lives greatly

Repetitive and challenging environment

Went in mentally sound, with a bright future. Left insane, mentally disturbed and nowhere to go.What you see in the movies, doesn’t even scratch the surface of the real thing.Prepare to have dreams and aspirations shattered. You will be want they want you to be. Period.

Pros

Travel

Cons

Repetitive activities

Slow pace at times, best to sit back with a coffee and wait

Most of the time you will be sitting around waiting. when the job is on, thats when you wont have a chance to think just do. normal day starts at 0730, conduct PT (run, gym or pool). after PT you will have a chance for some food before starting an admin or training need before lunch. after lunch at 1300 depending on the unit you may do Personal PT or more admin/training. knock off time depends on the unit some will finish if there isn't anything happening other will wait until 1600, even if you have sat there all day on your phone or staring at the fly on the wall asking stupid questions. like where do they sleep?

Cons

long hours, some times awake for days. not joking.

A great start in life for a young adult.

I joined the Australian Army at 17. As a young kid thats all I wanted to do after seeing my father serve. I completed 17 years and seen many amazing things and learnt a lot and matured. The Army was my a part of my family.

Pros

Great incentives

Cons

Hard on a family life. Lots of time away

Great place to get life skills

The Australian ARMY is a great place to work and learn great skills to help you in your life.If I was young enough I would join up again.Great mates and hard work but you are protecting the greatest country in the world AUSTRALIA.

Pros

Great life long mates

Cons

It is hard work

Enjoyable for a short amount of time

A typical day consist of physical training for an hour then breakfast. After breakfast you parade at our company and wait to be given tasks to complete throughout the day before you go home.

Pros

Job security

Cons

Long periods away for home

Worst job role in the ADF

This job role, among many others within the Royal Australian Army Ordnance Corp (RAAOC) is the most unfulfilling, under paid and over worked role within the ADF. You are assigned to a unit after a short period of employment training (3 months), and upon arrival you and your peers become the target for all problems in the unit regarding logistic support. The ADF's supply chain and logistic processes are SEVERELY flawed, archaic and unnecessarily over engineered to conduct even the most simple of transactions and exacerbated by inept leadership within RAAOC. The hierarchy cross all ranks of the Chain of Command, consists of "yes men" who will put the needs of themselves and their image over the needs of their subordinates; the same can be said about The Army as a whole. There is little to ponder regarding the increasing discharge rate for this job role and Army, especially among Junior Non Commissioned officers(JNCO)/lower enlisted. You will be expected to undertake the worst tasks, completely outside the scope of your job role, make up for lost time outside of work hours, have no work/life balance and be paid peanuts to do so

Working with hierarchy

Some deadlines and work commitments are unrealistic and with the downsizing of personnel the work output is increasing exponetially. Work starts at 0700 and finishes at 1600. The workplace culture is dependant on what area you work at. The hardest part of work commitment is the family moving from area to area to change schools and friends.

Great, Fun place to work

Physical activity, marksmanship, teamwork, self discipline, courage. An excellent working environment and team culture. Learnt first aid, and have worked in many challenging environments.

Good career

Wonderful career, I wish I could go back into the Army. Lots of friends and very good Management Every day is a different day for you to work and see other things to do. Top place to work.

Tough at first but hung in there

People skills were needed Hard work learn to work as a team. Met so many fools but so many great people ,travelled all over Australia and over seas too

Excellent life skills and friendships.

The highs and lows are in the extreme. Fast pace and also very dull at times. Create Great friendships and learn lots. Not family friendly and just remember your literally just a number. Recommend for every young person.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Australian Army. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Australian Army with