Australian Bureau of Statistics Employee Reviews

Working on your own
Adelaide - Field Worker - Census Delivery (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA27 May 2019
It was hard work people not wishing to help you when others did. Lots of time on your own, being out in all weathers.A good time to have to help you just a phone call away.
Pros
the pay
Cons
being out in all weathers
It was a great working experience
Field Officer (Former Employee) –  North Parramatta NSW7 May 2019
Working for Australian bureau of statistics allowed me to develop skills in communication with all sorts of people from different backgrounds classes and that helped develop more of an understanding of how to deal with situations where I’m the stranger trying to help.
A worth-while experience, for learning how to deal with people.
Census Field Officer (Former Employee) –  Tamworth NSW3 March 2019
The job was overall a good experience. It was beneficial to learn how to deal with non-responders and more aggressive responders. It was also interesting to find out how the government collects data for their statistics.
Pros
Worked on my own time, as long as I met the requirements.
Cons
Some of the people during work were difficult and aggressive.
would work for Australian Bureau of statistics again
Processing Officer (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT12 February 2019
Highly enjoyed working for the Australian Bureau of Statistics as there were a lot of highs working there. It was a fun environment even if it was very fast paced. There was a lot of diversity, as a 21 year old I was worried I would be looked down upon for being "young" but the workers were highly delightful and made working for census an absolutely fantastic place to work for. It always kept you on your toes with the workloads but taught me so many great and helpful skills. If I could id go back and work for them again.
Pros
great environment
Cons
can be consistant
Fantastic
Census Field Officer (Former Employee) –  Tamworth NSW29 January 2019
Honestly could not fault them, great communication, considering it was mostly all by phone out in the field. Great management by our local area supervisor.
Pros
Great communication
Cons
Nil
fun and flexible working place
Field Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, Australia21 January 2019
It is very hard to provide accurate numbers or rating on this company as I was on a short contract with limited benefits. But based on experience I gained in that very short time with ABS, I am pretty sure that those who are on long time contract are benefiting a lot.
Pros
Pre job training
A lot of contract workers
Team Leader -Technical Analyst (Former Employee) –  Geelong VIC23 December 2018
Too many part timers with limited control over their shifts. With my contract it became inflexible to continue.Management were too secretive with an us and them attitude.
Pros
Cons
Turnover
Census Field Officer (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW13 December 2018
If you enjoy talking to all kinds of
different people go for it!

Not for the faint hearted or easily intimidated

Easy for anyone that's done sales and great learning opportunity for anyone that's seeking to get into sales or market research
Pros
Part of a team yet autonomous
Cons
If people don't respond
productive and fun with tea / coffee club, table tennis, lunch race/run
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW4 December 2018
Edit unit record data to ensure the data is correct and provide an adequate explanation when large movements are observed. Reports are compiled monthly and need finalised and distributed at the clearing meeting. I learnt how data present to the stories or business by identifying significant issues such as problem with their data.
Management at ABS are helpful,
Workplace at ABS are friendly, teamwork and support as well as healthy and safety workplace.
The hardest part are contact to difficult clients / providers who don't want to participate to the surveys or limited time / busy time to follow up the significant issues from business.
Pros
flexible time unless deadline time, long xmas holiday from 24/12 to 2/1 of year after
Cons
unable working at home as work relate with confidential data
Temporary
Field Officer (Former Employee) –  Sunshine Coast QLD24 November 2018
Good job just temporary. Have to keep and maintain confidential information as required by the Census and Statistics Act 1905 in fidelity and secrecy.
Pros
good work
Cons
can be hard to complete
Wonderful workplace culture
APS 4 - Agricultural Surveys Team (Former Employee) –  Hobart TAS11 October 2018
The day at work was varied, but was a consistent structure to the day and work requirements were clear. Learned a number of different surveys and at varying levels and was given great support by senior staff within all teams and provided with fantastic guidance. The workplace culture was of the highest quality that I have experienced and all teams worked well together, even in peak periods when pressure was a high level.
The hardest part of the job was producing final results when staff were absent in numbers but there was great collaboration to deal with all issues.
The best part was that all results that were achieved were celebrated by the Management and they showed appreciation in what a quality job was completed by the team.
Pros
Great staff morale
Cons
None I can identify
great for some extra cash
Census Field Officer, ABS (Former Employee) –  Seaford VIC8 October 2018
your tasked to pretty much walk around the neighborhood and collect data, etc, etc.
generally, its around 200 homes every week, the numbers can and will go down. there is a lot of walking around and you will be doing all this all alone so that can become quite scary, especially since some people you'll visit will be quite aggressive and you have close to no way of defending yourself.

everything you use is your own, so your own car, your own phone, etc, etc.

the job can be very simple, very basic and can literally be done in like 2hrs a week, that's if you have a car.
Pros
some of your costs might be covered, granted that its at reason amount.
Cons
job is quite risky.
Depending upon location. Can be extremely physically demanding. Very challenging.
CENSUS COLLECTOR (Former Employee) –  Kyogle NSW30 September 2018
Going from property to property to deliver census forms.
Opening and closing hundreds of farm gates at least twice.
Meeting so many new people and seeing so many wonderful properties and gardens,
Pros
Got to see places that I never new existed.
Cons
Long hours and can be physically and psychologically demanding.
APS 2 - Interviewer (PCU) (Former Employee) –  Queensland28 September 2018
In the time I worked there I made many friends and the pay was great they believe in a very diverse atmosphere and take their code of conduct very seriously
Enjoyable and self paced work
Census Officer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD29 August 2018
It is a shame that a census officer only works every 5 years. The job is now very enjoyable and you meet many people on the rounds.
Training and guidance is given throughout and paid for.

The new computer program is easy and efficient to use on the go.
The pay is reasonable for the job done.
Pros
Work at times that suit and meet lots of people.
Cons
Not permanent
Great Supervisory Role
Census Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brisbane Central Business District QLD9 August 2018
Recruit, train and supervise a team of 7 Field Officers to deliver Census 2016. A difficult part of this job was recruiting enough people. An enjoyable challenge was 'work around' strategies for the I.T. problems that plagued Census 2016.
Pros
Able to arrange my own work schedule
Cons
long hours in lead up to Census day (9/8/16)
Lots of walking and meeting people.
Field Officer - Mail (Former Employee) –  Victoria6 August 2018
Working as a Field Officer on the Census was great fun. The training and support is fantastic. There is a lot of walking and repeat door knocking for residents to complete their Census. All in all it was great experience.
great place to work with a wonderful in house cafe
APS1 (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT25 June 2018
great management, cared for the staff made the day enjoyable even though the work was quite repetitive. A wonderful supportive environment.easy parking at the time.
Pros
close to shopping, flexi time
Cons
repetitive work
It was Great
APS 1 Census Officer (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT21 May 2018
Sit at a computer all day. Stretched each hour.
Training was more than adequate.
Management was fun and interesting.
Workplace culture one floor up was silence. On our floor it was get your work done efficiently & accurately and have fun too :)
Great job.
Field Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC3 May 2018
This was a contract position to walk door to door ensuring residents had completed their Census form. At times, due to age or non-English speaking backgrounds, I would help the resident complete the form.
I enjoyed the excersise, meeting people and the flexible working hours. I had a Supervisor who was very good at her job and since the end of the contract, we have remained good friends.
Pros
Good working hours and a fair bit of excersise.
Cons
The contract ended.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Australian Bureau of Statistics. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3