Australian Bureau of Statistics
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Australian Bureau of Statistics Employee Reviews

Full training and on going support to new staff. Very approachable trainers. Great team and office surrounds to work in.Opportunities to grow and become the best you can be.
Pros
Great team enviroment
Cons
N/a
I actually enjoyed most of the challenges within my positions and stretched my capabilities quite significantly; however, not everyone is interested in applying themselves. There is quite significant apathy (and I too experienced this at certain periods) and this is why the ABS is ahead in some areas and way behind in other ways. The most frustrating point for me was ‘integrity’ as this is what attracted me into the ABS. I think with all the new directions coming into my section that the section was moving away from the core beliefs e.g. collaboration; and this is due to some individuals not liking change, personal dislikes, having to apply themselves, etc.. Eventually people get intolerant, leave, angry, etc.. I personally prefer collaboration but you soon learn that there is always someone that will damage someone else’s integrity in order to get their work. It’s natural to follow your friends (like minded people) opinions; however, I am an individual and make decisions on whats appropriate rather than being mischievous.
Pros
1 hour lunches, interesting growth in the organisation, decent people
Cons
Long hours, apathy, dishonest people
Even better if it was ongoing. The training was adequate was paid. I enjoyed the survey and long interviews, very interesting to get to talk to the survey participants.
Plan the work needed to do, lot of walking, learned a lot about ABS, management was very good, workplace culture good, enjoyed the administration work. Working for ABS was interesting.
Good, excellent Good workplace culture Travelling with own car Meeting new people and ideas each day Challenging in using software tools Flexible start times
This job is on a contract basis during the Census collection every five years, ie 2011,2016,2021 etc. The job is on a full time basis & involves a great deal if walking, carrying heavy bags & talking to householders where the people may resent being interrupted, or where they disagree with the questions which do not appear to contribute to change in our society. I believe the focus is nowonline
Pros
Freedom of choice, organising your own timetable
Cons
Dealing with bogans, & people who mistake contract workers for actual ABS decision makers, the uniform confers a certain authority which is misleading.
Satisfying work and great people to work with however rural and remote ground staff need to be listened to about conditions in the field. Operating conditions can change quite quickly
Pros
Rewarding and satisfying work and great people to work with
Cons
Need to listen to their field staff more
A great experience as an area supervisor. I was able to interview and recruit my team of choice, train them in a timely manner. The pay was adequate when calaculated per hour
Productive and fun place to work. Staff are helpful and collaborative. Lots of opportunities to learn and develop different skills. Flexible working hours. Once every week there will be morning tea which takes approximately an hour.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Australian Bureau of Statistics?
Work ethics great condition travel conditions valuable different town locations great regional supervisor contracted pay could be improvement in that area .
Enjoyed the position. Challenging at times,but always had support of team leader.group of people I worked with was diverse but very friendly and helpful. Would enjoy doing doing some more work with ABS
Worked as a census collector twice now and hoping for a third. Had everything we needed and great staff and good support network if needed and adequate training. Was able to pick up extra days at the end Double checking another collectors work area due to my experience, excellent reporting and reliable judgement of occupancy
My reporting manager and peers are excellent in what they do, and never hesitated to help if asked. More often they never let me ask for help, and have a very good eye to help where required. I would definitely like to continue working there, and to comeback any time. Great work life balance, and flexibility.
Thus was an excellent organisation to work for, we had clear targets and deadlines and were kept very well informed. We worked in teams of eight and had flexible hours. It was really quite a fun experience.
Management have no idea how to people manage. Any promotions are temp, most roles are non on going. No one is allowed to think above their pay grade. Insights and ideas are dismissed.
Wide range of technologies used. Investigates and tries new tools and technologies to undertake development. Highly intelligent co-workers. Use of contractors relatively new to the organisation.
Staff were excellent to work with, great workplace culture, involved interacting with many groups/cultures, lots of travelling involved. Causal work hours which involved a lot of working from home.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Intermittant hours
Flexible working hours Working effectively The most enjoyable part of job was working with lovely people The hardest of job was public service culture
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Fitting into the mould
It s a highly productive work place ever day with different challenges. It is meanly a team work and requires a strict deadline with a very high level of accuracy.
Pros
job satisfaction and freinds
Cons
This was my first job when I left University, I got into the Graduate program. I learned a lot - it vastly improved my ability to think systematically about problems and to analyse information, it gave me the ability to communicate professionally, and it provided me with a good work-life balance. On occasion there were 'crunch' periods, but by and large, it was a good workplace which treats you well as long as you're willing to learn and do the work in good faith.
Pros
Pleasant staff
Cons
Ageing technology
It was hard work people not wishing to help you when others did. Lots of time on your own, being out in all weathers.A good time to have to help you just a phone call away.
Pros
the pay
Cons
being out in all weathers