Australian Department of Defence
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Australian Department of Defence Employee Reviews

Australia52 reviews
The initial TITAN component targeted and successfully completed was a seamless Single-Sign-On environment between Microsoft AD, RHEL and all monitoring components at the group level.
The TITAN Project is considered to be one of the most advanced of its type in the world and I am proud of my contribution to its success.
Not the best organisation to work for. High Level of Bullying and Micro-management. Managers do not communicate well with or are honest and open with staff. Advancement, promotion or otherwise are not done to merit.
learn a lot of skills and very well educated in job position
great team working environment

very well mannered and experience obtain

helped me with life experiences
The rewards are deep meaning and forever beneficial. The training is hard at times but will reward you in the future. Don't underestimate what you can do because you can achieve the unbelievable.
Pros
Promotion and medals
Cons
Ticks and a shovel
I couldn't make through training and I saw many others not make it, be very fit and never go for the minimum work to your best. You will need to move away from home so if you get homesick easy work on that. You need to so a lot of jobs that may seem pointless, just do them you will be working for the second best trained army in the world and they want to maintain that position and get to first. They will not give you much space, comfort, time and freedom. You will have to work your best all the time. Also a small tip please know the Australian anthem it's not a good look to the corporals. Overall you'll make good friends and have fun and learn a lot quickly.
Pros
Free living, Good experiences, Free dental and career
Cons
Long hours, War you know all that stuff they will tell you
Be prepared to work hard! Pay is ok. Plenty of overtime. Require MR license. Safety is paramount and the main factor.
Would have to be ex military to hold the qualifications required to get this job.
Pros
ok Money
Maintenance planning
Managing people

Reporting on people and safety

Conducting maintenance

Keeping the group of peoples fitness to a high standard

Travelling anywhere for work at a moments notice
Pros
secure competitive pay
Cons
high stress
Physical training followed by breakfast. Performing trade duties remainder of day. When deployed to the field, your trade is that of infantry. To be out of your normal environment at first can be stressful, but within no time your believe in your abilities comes through.
Best lifestyle highly recommended for all young people that have no direction work travel and be fit and payed for it all where else can you do that free medical and dental also
Pros
Travel
Cons
Going to war
My current role is of a professional nature with a good group of people. It involves searching for and assessing suitability of aircraft parts and GSE.
Pros
Good group of workers
Cons
Desk Job
Checking on the progress of projects with team members and vendors.

Reporting progress and status to appropriate stakeholders.

Developing and updating project plans and communicating change to stakeholders.

Encouraging project members and reassuring external stakeholders about progress and outcomes.

I learned that the potential for change is always present and dealing with it is the most demanding aspect of project management.

The culture was supportive - we worked in highly skilled professional teams that had respected each other.
Pros
Great work culture
Cons
No prospect of advancement due to government policy.
Good work place good fitness
Great mates defintly place for willing to learn and endhance your life skills and survival training plenty of oppurtunity to excel in life career
Pros
Plenty of oppurtunity
Cons
it was a great start. Little teams so much more people focused. great little facility and small shutdowns for other clients
Pros
weapons
Cons
weapons
I enjoyed working at Defence and had a very varied position. I loved being part of a team and working towards a single objective. The worst part of the job was managing people's expectations and getting them to understand what was achievable within budget, on-time and met the requirements.

I was responsible for financial reporting for the projects we managed, approved spending proposals, reviewing statements, drafting contracts. Security clearance held top secret.
Pros
enjoyed my work
Cons
Cannot think of any
A good place to see how staff progression should not be managed.

Very little in the way of personal development and training. Promotion seemed to be time based instead of merit.
Pros
Excellant work teams
Cons
Lousy Management
I have had extensive experience in Defence and in a Civilian working environment working with people on compliance and food safety.

I have been the Operations manager for a company in New Zealand producing ration and Emergency packs for the ADF and emergency services in Australia. I managed a team of 30 full time workers from various diverse backgrounds and nationalities.

Th hardest part of the job was being away from Melbourne, however I did enjoy every day in my job and was proud that we were able to meet the requirements of the ADF and were in the top 10 suppliers to the ADF.

I now look forward to any new challenges and being back in the work force located here in Melbourne.
My Personality
I'm a think outside the square personality that loves to problem solve. I have an adept ability to source information and execute into meaningful business intelligence. This is testament to my analytical mind and excellent report writing skills.

My Co-Workers

My colleagues perception of me is one who delivers outcomes. I'm considered approachable and a team player that can adapt quickly to any situation. I take ownership in dealing with requests/issues and never deflect from being accountable,

The Hardest Part of My Job

In 2012, The Federal Government enforced a recruitment freeze on The Department of Defence and there is little sign this will change soon. Ultimately this has restricted career opportunities and development, hence why I'm searching for a new role.

The Most Enjoyable Part of the Job

I'm a customer centric professional. This is highlighted throughout my resume, from handling lending complaints with the NAB to providing services to ADF Members. I excel in roles where I know I'm assisting others and there is purpose in what I do.
Currently an Information/Data /Records Manager for Dept of Defence. I am responsible for our branch compliance to the Archives act relating to records management. I also assist with software usage, troubleshooting and application
Australia's Department of Defence is a very professional outfit. I was proud to serve in the military for over eight years.
Was able to get on with my job with all most no management hanging over shoulder, worked well with all staff in area. Area was moved to Laverton.
Learned allot of skills
Ran a very busy office

Received phone calls

Took messages as required or dealt with them my self

Worked with a team of three
Pros
A very busy office giving me lots of satisfaction
Cons
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Australian Department of Defence. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3