Australian Department of Defence Management reviews

Hard work
Range Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD17 November 2017
Be prepared to work hard! Pay is ok. Plenty of overtime. Require MR license. Safety is paramount and the main factor.
Would have to be ex military to hold the qualifications required to get this job.
Pros
ok Money
Excellant Co-workers
Analyst Programmer (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT3 April 2016
A good place to see how staff progression should not be managed.

Very little in the way of personal development and training. Promotion seemed to be time based instead of merit.
Pros
Excellant work teams
Cons
Lousy Management
Records Manager/Knowledge Manager (Current Employee) –  Canberra ACT2 January 2016
Currently an Information/Data /Records Manager for Dept of Defence. I am responsible for our branch compliance to the Archives act relating to records management. I also assist with software usage, troubleshooting and application
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC9 November 2015
Was able to get on with my job with all most no management hanging over shoulder, worked well with all staff in area. Area was moved to Laverton.
Cons
Defence has a bad culture of Bullying
Executive Level (Former Employee) –  Canberra, ACT22 October 2015
The management expects people to be tied to their computer for the whole day and does not pay overtime well.

I have worked a lot of unpaid overtime.

No real compensation for the amount of work.

Most cases Unrealistic timeframes.
Cons
Always on a course, of course
Quality Manager, Systems Integration (Former Employee) –  Orchards Hills NSw27 July 2015
Forever learning new and innovative styles and techniques in management, leadership and consultation.
Can develop and grow with the organisation at a rapid pace.
Some red tape in some areas but once cut there are vast avenues to involved in and progress.
Pros
Consistent and enjoyable employment, close to home
Cons
very little
High tempo workplace, but with lucrative financial benefits
Maintenance Supervisor (Avionics) (Current Employee) –  Palmerston, NT2 July 2015
Very regimented structure mixed with a high tempo work rate. Extremely efficient and capable management team, supported by well mannered and down to earth employees. The most difficult aspect of working in Defence is the time away you spend from family. The most enjoyable part is being able to work with a great bunch of people.
Pros
Job Security/Salary/Benefits
Cons
Long hours/High tempo workplace
Professionalism
Senior Stores Manager (Former Employee) –  Enoggera, QLD17 December 2014
After nearly 19 years I have been trained in all aspects of logistics ranging from basic Storeman work to management of multi million dollar accounts.
Pros
Deployments
Cons
Deployments
A career for Single Persons
Supply Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Townsville, QLD18 February 2014
As a supply coordinator, your position within Defence is very busy we sometimes have to work longer hours that most other members due to supply an demand.
whithin this position you learn many aspects i beleive we have about 20 odd positions that we can fill at any given time within your career, for example ledger clerk, receipts an issues, counter service, stocktaking, logistics freight ect ect.
Overall loved my position within defence.
However management could have been alot better,
Pros
getting paid to do PT
Cons
Long Hours
Army Reserve is stable, consistent, character building, always room for advancement
Finance Corporal (Current Employee) –  Bundoora, VIC28 December 2013
I have been with the Army Reserve for 24 years. It is flexible as far as my other commitments are concerned. I don't feel it is appropriate to describe management, etc regarding the Military
Pros
Teamwork, character building, enjoyment
Cons
Nil
big department; great begging at APS; good working experience
Programmer (Former Employee) –  Canberra, ACT28 November 2013
Great place to work at; big team; nice and friendly people around; good management
Good place to work if you are young and single.
Qualified Electrician (Current Employee) –  Holsworthy Barracks31 October 2013
Work varies from day to day, some are very busy others are quite slow. Good knowledge base with a lot of courses to build your skill sets up. Management culture is changing with offices more into their own careers than managing / guiding soldiers careers. Co-workers are good people to work, you can trust your life with most of them. The ones you can't tend to get promoted quicker. The hardest part of the job is deploying for long periods of time, missing family, for not much in return, re: pay. Most enjoyable part of the job is doing the job you signed up for, deploying to other countries and working in your trade making a difference to those communities.
Innovative Environment
Group Business Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Rockingham28 October 2013
Department of Defence is a great environment which allows an abundance of freedom for innovation. The department gave me the time required to implement innovative ideas for business improvement.
During my role, I was given many opportunities to improve my skills through courses and training seminar which further improved my financial and contract management knowledge.
The working environment is both supportive and friendly. The hardest part of the job is the learning of Navy and Defence acronym which was utilised on a daily basis. This particular part of the job requires approximately 3-4months of constant utility for familiarisation.
I enjoy the experience immensely as I was constantly challenged with new project which require problem solving and coordination.
Pros
Supportive, innovative environment
Cons
Employment was contractual base
Competitive trainee salary
Marine technician (Former Employee) –  Darwin7 April 2013
I find working for a organisation that has no accountability for expenditure rather painful.
Pros
experiences, cheap living whilst training.
Cons
management and personnel, limited platforms.