Australian Electoral Commission Employee Reviews

all good
Officer in Charge (Former Employee) –  Orbost VIC29 April 2018
I enjoy working and sorting out problems, I am hoping to find permanent part-time or full-time work in the administration of any sort.

I have knowledge of bookkeeping
Good temporary money
Scrutiny Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ulverstone TAS15 April 2018
A good company to earn some temporary money. Pays very well and they are very flexible with hours and availability. People you work with are generally easy going and easy to get along with.
Great people to work for!
Issuing Officer and Temporary Assistant Level (Former Employee) –  Port Augusta SA10 April 2018
I have worked two federal elections now in the Grey Electorate and I have thoroughly enjoyed it.
The system is well run and the staff have been very supportive and helpful.
I would definitely like to work with the Australia Electoral Commission again in the future.
love it working in an office - much cooler than warehouse work
Administration aps1, casual (Former Employee) –  Parramatta NSW7 April 2018
I love to work in an office environment.

I get to learn on the job because it builds knowledge and learning more about communication and systems etc.

people friendly and willing to help in the workplace.

resources are available for you to use - printers, computers etc.

never bored on the job. always something new to do.

good potential to move up and maybe get hired as the permanent staff later if you show good spirit at work.

staff very reliable and listen well very knowledgeable and excellent communicator over the phone frequently.
Pros
good clean work place
Cons
no cons
Casual Polling duties
Polling Official - Australian Federal Election (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA5 April 2018
Very well organised.
Professionally run organisation.
Paid for services extremely quickly.
Education of duties to be performed was excellent.
Support from Booth Manager was also excellent.
One day work
Voting officer (Former Employee) –  Tyalgum NSW24 February 2018
Your day depends on your fellow workers and you working as a team. My team had been excellent on the day and we had little problems and everything ran smoothly.
Great way to spend a spare day
Polling Officer (Former Employee) –  Mount Waverley VIC21 January 2018
Each election, there are a mix of old and new people of whom you are working with. Management is always friendly, but fair to the staff members, where the most important thing is to keep a smile on your face while providing speedy, but accurate service to the public (everyone has been waiting in line for a period of time). The most difficult part of the job is counting the ballot papers accurately, while also sorting them. The most enjoyable part is seeing the variety of ethnicities belonging to the electorate that I have been assigned to.
Productive Workplace
Scrutineers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cranbourne North VIC13 December 2017
Consist of Friendly Staff, willing to have the teamwork spirit. However, due to the business of the day, it is required by the staff to work until the work is done, even though the pay is a gross amount.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
Long Hours
Not worth the effort
OIC (Former Employee) –  Lalor VIC23 November 2017
The AEC is disorganised and constantly make avoidable mistakes. They have no cerdibility as they do not acknowledge their mistakes nor do they try to correct them or offer an apology. Very strict electrifying environment, even though there is nothing to worry about.
Pros
Casual rates
Cons
Everything else
Extremely poorly organised part-time work.
Issuing Officer (Former Employee) –  Armidale NSW15 November 2017
This has to have been one of the worst jobs I've ever had.

Firstly there was the organisation particularly prior to work commencement. I received a phone call asking me whether I wanted to accept a position at the local pre-polling centre at about 8:30am on a Monday morning; I accepted and was told to monitor my email for details on when the training session was being held; at 2:30pm the same day I received the email telling me the training session was being held at 3:00pm and that i had thirty minutes to get to it. - The training if you could call it that was pathetic, consisting of a short PowerPoint presentation in which the supervisor couldn't even figure out how to get the sound running.

The next day, the first day of work, I arrived at 7:30am, the work was tiring but bearable, during the day i was told there was an online training component I should have completed prior to work commencement, I received no such email. By the end of the day i was absolutely exhausted.

The next day as i was getting ready to go in to work, i got held up which would have made me ten to fifteen minutes late, as i was traveling to work i got a phone can telling me not to bother coming in as i had been replaced for the day.

About an hour later I received another phone call asking me to come in and fill out some paperwork, when I had finished filling out said paperwork i was simply to 'my services were no longer required' because I didn't meet expectations and because someone tried to call me and i had to silence my phone.

So I basically was used for a single day then discarded.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, extremely poor organisation
good
Polling Attendant (Former Employee) –  Federal NSW4 November 2017
I only worked for this company for a single day for the election. I had a primarily fond experience with the government. They provided tea, coffee and cookies.
Productive work place
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD13 September 2017
I found AEC to be very proffesional and efficient offering not real chance for creative expression but it's ok! And I can imagine some people would enjoy the tedious tasks.
Pros
Efficient, structured
Cons
Repetitive
Short Tern Employment for Election
2IC Polling Station Manager (Current Employee) –  Canberra ACT15 July 2017
Well organised and flexible organisation. Highly professionally focused across all levels of the AEC that ensured ballot box integrity was upheld at all times.
Excellent work environment and friendly staff
Project Officer (Former Employee) –  Canberra City ACT10 July 2017
The AEC is a very well presented organisation . Providing excellent training induction modules for new employees. I found work colleagues very helpful and easy to get on with.
Nice work but only temp
"Ballot Scrutineer/Counter" (Former Employee) –  Craigieburn Melbourne VIC2 July 2017
only 4 weeks of work but enjoyable all the same
interesting work and learned a great deal about government and electoral work
learned some new skills
learned about electoral systems
made new friends
Pros
New skills learned
Cons
Too short an assignment
Great learning curve
Post Election Scrutiny Assistant (Former Employee) –  Federal NSW28 June 2017
Though it was only a short term experience, but I learned a great deal about the process of voting in Australia. It really taught me to be observant and meticulous. Great exposure to work with different teams.
Pros
Simple yet rewarding job
Cons
Too short
Productive, challenging, but very rewarding
Polling Assistant (Former Employee) –  Emu Plains NSW6 June 2017
Provided me opportunities to network with other professionals during my time there, and receive insights into how they accelerated their career. Challenged me due to the long hours, however, the remuneration was quite good. It helped me expand my skills in data collation, working in a team, and customer service.
Pros
good remuneration
Cons
Very good organisation, facility and good managemnet
Polling Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth Airport WA25 May 2017
General Admins and busy task need to be done day-to-day with material preparation, paperwork, and software. I have learned lots skill in the field as well as in the office such as scrutiny on the ballot paper and on the computer, on the desk to the final. Great management staff and transparency but some time lifting a bit heavy box of ballot paper which is very much enjoyed
Pros
Own meal
Cons
Some day long hours
Data Entry
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC19 May 2017
Each day was entering electoral data onto a Excel Spreadsheet. This was a Temp Position through a Recruitment Agency. It was pretty much go in and get the work done.
Pros
Temp work
Cons
Repetitive work
Fast paced filled with a diverse range of cultured people.
Polling Official (Former Employee) –  Casino NSW6 April 2017
This job only happens when there is an election. A typical day starts at 6:00 am and it doesn't stop until all the counting is done at the end of the day, which can be 11:00 that night. As a polling Officer, you learn to be quick and efficient and to treat every new person with respect. Everything is provided for you. However, you d need to pack your own lunch. The hardest part of the job is counting the votes at the end of the night; having to count fast and precise with lack of rest. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting multitudes of different people and the very appealing pay check at the end of it all.
Pros
Weekend job only, Good money
Cons
Long hours, Bring your own lunch