Australian Electoral Commission Employee Reviews

Administrative Assisitant
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Queanbeyan NSW28 December 2018
A typical day involves responding to email, mail, phone and face to face enquiries. Using RMANS to update the electoral roll and checking customers eligibility to vote.
The most challenging part of the roll is dealing with customers that feel that their vote was not valid, or they are issued with failure to vote fines.
The most enjoyable part of the position is knowing that you are contributing to the greater good of our democratic society.
Pros
Being part of giving everyone who is eligible, an opportunity to vote.
Cons
Issuing Failure to Vote Notices.
Great working the elections. The day is very long and goes very fast.
POLLING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Kyogle NSW30 September 2018
Early start. Marking the roll and directing voters to the booths. Assisting voters with other issues. End of voting we pull down the booths, clean the area and count the votes.
The day is so busy that the time really goes very quickly.
Very interesting, learning experience. Great crew to work with.
Pros
Time goes very fast
Cons
It is a well organised organisation and equipped.
Poling Official (Former Employee) –  Cleveland QLD4 October 2018
I welcomed voters to the polling station and explained the voting process to them. I gave them their ballot paper and guided them to the polling booths.
After the elections I helped with the counting of the votes and the entering of election and voters data.
Cons
Not permanent
great for some extra cash and work xp on the side.
Polling Assistant, AEC (Former Employee) –  Carrum Downs VIC8 October 2018
you really would only work for 1 day but even that you would need to start quite early, say around 6am; you would need to come in and get the whole place all set-up and ready for the day. you would finish whenever the counting finishes, which for me was like at 3am in the morning, the next day.

just a disclaimer that this was all my exp. some people who worked in the other places said that they all finished everything around 10pm, the same day. but for me, the 'supervisors' hired for the job were extremely inefficient because they kept on miscounting and recounting all the voting forms over & over.

please note:

- wear really comfortable shoes (runners are preferred, no one really cares)
- dress code is really pretty much very casual-formal.
- pack a lot of food just in case you'll have to stay in really late.
- bring your own cup
Pros
extra cash and work exp
Cons
really long hours but that depends on how productive the supervisors are.
Review of Australian Electoral Committee
Scrutiny assistant for Federal election (Former Employee) –  Chermside QLD12 November 2018
It was alright. Nothing special. Easy work and Easy money. It did go quite late and i did have to work overtime a lot but it seemed to work out in the end.
Awesome place to work
Contract Trainer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD30 October 2018
Had a marvelous experience at the electoral commission. Good people who support their staff whether they be permanent or contract. A good place to work
Casual Election Day Work
Polling Assistant (Former Employee) –  Werribee VIC24 September 2018
It was a great experience. Very demanding but well worth it. The team atmosphere was great. We all pitched in to reach our goal, which was to collate the voting ballots.
love it working in an office - much cooler than warehouse work
Administration aps1, casual (Former Employee) –  Parramatta NSW7 April 2018
I love to work in an office environment.

I get to learn on the job because it builds knowledge and learning more about communication and systems etc.

people friendly and willing to help in the workplace.

resources are available for you to use - printers, computers etc.

never bored on the job. always something new to do.

good potential to move up and maybe get hired as the permanent staff later if you show good spirit at work.

staff very reliable and listen well very knowledgeable and excellent communicator over the phone frequently.
Pros
good clean work place
Cons
no cons
Great people to work for!
Issuing Officer and Temporary Assistant Level (Former Employee) –  Port Augusta SA10 April 2018
I have worked two federal elections now in the Grey Electorate and I have thoroughly enjoyed it.
The system is well run and the staff have been very supportive and helpful.
I would definitely like to work with the Australia Electoral Commission again in the future.
Easy to complete tasks
POLLING OFFICIAL (Former Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD17 June 2018
Tasks that were given were both easily completed and don't require much knowledge. Good hours and pay along with substantial break times make this a nice job experience.
Great way to spend a spare day
Polling Officer (Former Employee) –  Mount Waverley VIC21 January 2018
Each election, there are a mix of old and new people of whom you are working with. Management is always friendly, but fair to the staff members, where the most important thing is to keep a smile on your face while providing speedy, but accurate service to the public (everyone has been waiting in line for a period of time). The most difficult part of the job is counting the ballot papers accurately, while also sorting them. The most enjoyable part is seeing the variety of ethnicities belonging to the electorate that I have been assigned to.
Casual Polling duties
Polling Official - Australian Federal Election (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA5 April 2018
Very well organised.
Professionally run organisation.
Paid for services extremely quickly.
Education of duties to be performed was excellent.
Support from Booth Manager was also excellent.
Good temporary money
Scrutiny Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ulverstone TAS15 April 2018
A good company to earn some temporary money. Pays very well and they are very flexible with hours and availability. People you work with are generally easy going and easy to get along with.
all good
Officer in Charge (Former Employee) –  Orbost VIC29 April 2018
I enjoy working and sorting out problems, I am hoping to find permanent part-time or full-time work in the administration of any sort.

I have knowledge of bookkeeping
One day work
Voting officer (Former Employee) –  Tyalgum NSW24 February 2018
Your day depends on your fellow workers and you working as a team. My team had been excellent on the day and we had little problems and everything ran smoothly.
Not worth the effort
OIC (Former Employee) –  Lalor VIC23 November 2017
The AEC is disorganised and constantly make avoidable mistakes. They have no cerdibility as they do not acknowledge their mistakes nor do they try to correct them or offer an apology. Very strict electrifying environment, even though there is nothing to worry about.
Pros
Casual rates
Cons
Everything else
Productive Workplace
Scrutineers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cranbourne North VIC13 December 2017
Consist of Friendly Staff, willing to have the teamwork spirit. However, due to the business of the day, it is required by the staff to work until the work is done, even though the pay is a gross amount.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
Long Hours
Very good organisation, facility and good managemnet
Polling Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth Airport WA25 May 2017
General Admins and busy task need to be done day-to-day with material preparation, paperwork, and software. I have learned lots skill in the field as well as in the office such as scrutiny on the ballot paper and on the computer, on the desk to the final. Great management staff and transparency but some time lifting a bit heavy box of ballot paper which is very much enjoyed
Pros
Own meal
Cons
Some day long hours
Productive, challenging, but very rewarding
Polling Assistant (Former Employee) –  Emu Plains NSW6 June 2017
Provided me opportunities to network with other professionals during my time there, and receive insights into how they accelerated their career. Challenged me due to the long hours, however, the remuneration was quite good. It helped me expand my skills in data collation, working in a team, and customer service.
Pros
good remuneration
Cons
Fast paced filled with a diverse range of cultured people.
Polling Official (Former Employee) –  Casino NSW6 April 2017
This job only happens when there is an election. A typical day starts at 6:00 am and it doesn't stop until all the counting is done at the end of the day, which can be 11:00 that night. As a polling Officer, you learn to be quick and efficient and to treat every new person with respect. Everything is provided for you. However, you d need to pack your own lunch. The hardest part of the job is counting the votes at the end of the night; having to count fast and precise with lack of rest. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting multitudes of different people and the very appealing pay check at the end of it all.
Pros
Weekend job only, Good money
Cons
Long hours, Bring your own lunch