Australian Electoral Commission Employee Reviews

great for some extra cash and work xp on the side.
Polling Assistant, AEC (Former Employee) –  Carrum Downs VIC8 October 2018
you really would only work for 1 day but even that you would need to start quite early, say around 6am; you would need to come in and get the whole place all set-up and ready for the day. you would finish whenever the counting finishes, which for me was like at 3am in the morning, the next day.

just a disclaimer that this was all my exp. some people who worked in the other places said that they all finished everything around 10pm, the same day. but for me, the 'supervisors' hired for the job were extremely inefficient because they kept on miscounting and recounting all the voting forms over & over.

please note:

- wear really comfortable shoes (runners are preferred, no one really cares)
- dress code is really pretty much very casual-formal.
- pack a lot of food just in case you'll have to stay in really late.
- bring your own cup
Pros
extra cash and work exp
Cons
really long hours but that depends on how productive the supervisors are.
Great working the elections. The day is very long and goes very fast.
POLLING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Kyogle NSW30 September 2018
Early start. Marking the roll and directing voters to the booths. Assisting voters with other issues. End of voting we pull down the booths, clean the area and count the votes.
The day is so busy that the time really goes very quickly.
Very interesting, learning experience. Great crew to work with.
Pros
Time goes very fast
Casual Election Day Work
Polling Assistant (Former Employee) –  Werribee VIC24 September 2018
It was a great experience. Very demanding but well worth it. The team atmosphere was great. We all pitched in to reach our goal, which was to collate the voting ballots.
Easy to complete tasks
POLLING OFFICIAL (Former Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD17 June 2018
Tasks that were given were both easily completed and don't require much knowledge. Good hours and pay along with substantial break times make this a nice job experience.
all good
Officer in Charge (Former Employee) –  Orbost VIC29 April 2018
I enjoy working and sorting out problems, I am hoping to find permanent part-time or full-time work in the administration of any sort.

I have knowledge of bookkeeping
Good temporary money
Scrutiny Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ulverstone TAS15 April 2018
A good company to earn some temporary money. Pays very well and they are very flexible with hours and availability. People you work with are generally easy going and easy to get along with.
Great people to work for!
Issuing Officer and Temporary Assistant Level (Former Employee) –  Port Augusta SA10 April 2018
I have worked two federal elections now in the Grey Electorate and I have thoroughly enjoyed it.
The system is well run and the staff have been very supportive and helpful.
I would definitely like to work with the Australia Electoral Commission again in the future.
love it working in an office - much cooler than warehouse work
Administration aps1, casual (Former Employee) –  Parramatta NSW7 April 2018
I love to work in an office environment.

I get to learn on the job because it builds knowledge and learning more about communication and systems etc.

people friendly and willing to help in the workplace.

resources are available for you to use - printers, computers etc.

never bored on the job. always something new to do.

good potential to move up and maybe get hired as the permanent staff later if you show good spirit at work.

staff very reliable and listen well very knowledgeable and excellent communicator over the phone frequently.
Pros
good clean work place
Cons
no cons
Casual Polling duties
Polling Official - Australian Federal Election (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA5 April 2018
Very well organised.
Professionally run organisation.
Paid for services extremely quickly.
Education of duties to be performed was excellent.
Support from Booth Manager was also excellent.
One day work
Voting officer (Former Employee) –  Tyalgum NSW24 February 2018
Your day depends on your fellow workers and you working as a team. My team had been excellent on the day and we had little problems and everything ran smoothly.
Great way to spend a spare day
Polling Officer (Former Employee) –  Mount Waverley VIC21 January 2018
Each election, there are a mix of old and new people of whom you are working with. Management is always friendly, but fair to the staff members, where the most important thing is to keep a smile on your face while providing speedy, but accurate service to the public (everyone has been waiting in line for a period of time). The most difficult part of the job is counting the ballot papers accurately, while also sorting them. The most enjoyable part is seeing the variety of ethnicities belonging to the electorate that I have been assigned to.
Productive Workplace
Scrutineers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cranbourne North VIC13 December 2017
Consist of Friendly Staff, willing to have the teamwork spirit. However, due to the business of the day, it is required by the staff to work until the work is done, even though the pay is a gross amount.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
Long Hours
Not worth the effort
OIC (Former Employee) –  Lalor VIC23 November 2017
The AEC is disorganised and constantly make avoidable mistakes. They have no cerdibility as they do not acknowledge their mistakes nor do they try to correct them or offer an apology. Very strict electrifying environment, even though there is nothing to worry about.
Pros
Casual rates
Cons
Everything else
Extremely poorly organised part-time work.
Issuing Officer (Former Employee) –  Armidale NSW15 November 2017
This has to have been one of the worst jobs I've ever had.

Firstly there was the organisation particularly prior to work commencement. I received a phone call asking me whether I wanted to accept a position at the local pre-polling centre at about 8:30am on a Monday morning; I accepted and was told to monitor my email for details on when the training session was being held; at 2:30pm the same day I received the email telling me the training session was being held at 3:00pm and that i had thirty minutes to get to it. - The training if you could call it that was pathetic, consisting of a short PowerPoint presentation in which the supervisor couldn't even figure out how to get the sound running.

The next day, the first day of work, I arrived at 7:30am, the work was tiring but bearable, during the day i was told there was an online training component I should have completed prior to work commencement, I received no such email. By the end of the day i was absolutely exhausted.

The next day as i was getting ready to go in to work, i got held up which would have made me ten to fifteen minutes late, as i was traveling to work i got a phone can telling me not to bother coming in as i had been replaced for the day.

About an hour later I received another phone call asking me to come in and fill out some paperwork, when I had finished filling out said paperwork i was simply to 'my services were no longer required' because I didn't meet expectations and because someone tried to call me and i had to silence my phone.

So I basically was used for a single day then discarded.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, extremely poor organisation
good
Polling Attendant (Former Employee) –  Federal NSW4 November 2017
I only worked for this company for a single day for the election. I had a primarily fond experience with the government. They provided tea, coffee and cookies.
Productive work place
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD13 September 2017
I found AEC to be very proffesional and efficient offering not real chance for creative expression but it's ok! And I can imagine some people would enjoy the tedious tasks.
Pros
Efficient, structured
Cons
Repetitive
Short Tern Employment for Election
2IC Polling Station Manager (Current Employee) –  Canberra ACT15 July 2017
Well organised and flexible organisation. Highly professionally focused across all levels of the AEC that ensured ballot box integrity was upheld at all times.
Excellent work environment and friendly staff
Project Officer (Former Employee) –  Canberra City ACT10 July 2017
The AEC is a very well presented organisation . Providing excellent training induction modules for new employees. I found work colleagues very helpful and easy to get on with.
Nice work but only temp
"Ballot Scrutineer/Counter" (Former Employee) –  Craigieburn Melbourne VIC2 July 2017
only 4 weeks of work but enjoyable all the same
interesting work and learned a great deal about government and electoral work
learned some new skills
learned about electoral systems
made new friends
Pros
New skills learned
Cons
Too short an assignment
Great learning curve
Post Election Scrutiny Assistant (Former Employee) –  Federal NSW28 June 2017
Though it was only a short term experience, but I learned a great deal about the process of voting in Australia. It really taught me to be observant and meticulous. Great exposure to work with different teams.
Pros
Simple yet rewarding job
Cons
Too short