Australian Federal Police Employee Reviews

Good
Federal Agent (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW9 January 2019
When I started the AFP was seen as the premium law enforcement agency. Over the years the culture has changed and the Governrment has stripped the AFP of resources. Management and the organisation as a whole is very political. However there is some really good people in the organisation.
Pros
Some Good People
Cons
Salary
Job Security
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT29 October 2018
Working for the Australian Federal Police provided job security and the opportunity to move between a variety of departments, as well as different cities in Australia as well as overseas.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Sadly still a male dominated working environment
A good place to work
Finance Officer (Former Employee) –  Australian Capital Territory28 October 2017
I liked working here. The work was varied but very interesting. The work life balance was good and the people were friendly and helpful. They also offered a good career progression.
Federal Agent
Federal Agent Level (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA9 July 2017
Unreliable support structures in both operational and administrative areas. A lot of problems with online management systems and a real reluctance to work with other agencies in an open and transparent way, too secretive and competitive make for a culture of suspicion and devalued information.
Pros
Huge Capabilities
Cons
Inexperienced officers
Admin Supprt to Australian Federal Police
Admin support (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC10 April 2017
I loved my job working with the officers in Fraud and General Crime Division. My job was transposing recorded interviews to the Data system. It was varied and the officers were great to work with.

I left when the officers became responsible for transposing and recording their interviews

The work was highly confidential but interesting. I learnt alot whilst working with them and highly recommend a position with them.
Challenging
Federal Agent (Current Employee) –  Sydney20 February 2017
Having worked with the AFP past 13 years, i have covered many areas.
I have encountered many challenges during this time, learnt many things. Dealt with good and bad people and learned how to work with various personalities.
I am very much people type person and found at times challenging to "be the bad cop". I enjoy HELPING people.
I had fantastic opportunities to travel overseas and meet some wonderful people both in the AFP, other Police Forces and other agencies.
The AFP does offer you opportunities to advance, but it is not required to be a good officer.
Pros
Good Cop
Cons
Bad Cop
Meeting interesting people
Team Member/ aviation Training Team - Perth (Former Employee) –  Perth WA19 December 2016
Training people from all different cultures was a challenge. I travelled to other places I would not have gone to except for the job requirements.
Serving my country in my role was a highlight
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
Away from home a lot
Fun place to be able to enjoy whilst at work and having to mix with the locals was great.
Law Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Nullagine WA4 April 2016
Working in the Police force enables you to be able to see how far you can push yourself with a task that is normally done by another higher ranking officer. I did find that the hours can be long and draining mentally and physically although I did manage my time on each job that I was to complete in a orderly time frame.
I did like the camaraderie of the team and support in my time at the Police Force. I did do a lot of relief work as I do not have any dependants. I did however enjoy time at the remote stations and I made a lot of friends from the locals in the communities.
I was able to do Blue light Disco,s and I also managed to with the help of the local publican supply Sunday breakfast for the children at the local park. I did enjoy playing football with the kids at the park as well as other activities at the local school.I do miss all the fun times and I know I have to move on to other adventures ahead.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Long Hours
Great job security
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT26 November 2015
I enjoyed my years with the AFP, especially as you had the opportunity to work in various areas and made quite a lot of new friends and colleagues along the way.

Management at times was challenging as they all had "their own style" and you learnt to adapt to change readily.
Pros
Good work conditions, great job security
Cons
Shift work 24/7 was at times challenging.
Unable to comment on my work environment
Intelligence Officer (Current Employee) –  Brisbane, QLD3 December 2014
I cannot talk about my work environment due to high security level. My organisation requires the information to be kept confidential.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Lack of opportunities
playing tenpin bowing watching moves and driving the car
security officer (Former Employee) –  goulburn street city of sydney21 October 2014
a typical day at my work was made up taking over first thing was to sign in every morning from night shift to read any e-mails what i learned from the management was to have a better relationship and understanding of the working environment as for my co workers they were a great lot of guys to be able to work with i would be able to trust them with my life at any time and the hardest part of my job was to be able to get up early but after a wild you get use to it and the most enjoyable part of this job was knowing that i did injoy it so very much and the money was very good
Pros
know free lunch s
Cons
12 hour days 7 day roster s shift work
satisfaction in making passengers safe to travel !!
Static Guard (Former Employee) –  Melbourne Airport & Latrobe st24 January 2014
overall a good environment to work in , customer interaction, striving for good customer service, at the same time securing the safety of passengers boarding the aircraft.
Pros
good pay rate
Cons
stressful job
All round good career
Protective service officer (Current Employee) –  Canberra, ACT3 January 2014
Working for the AFP is interesting and motivating, I have been pushed to always look for something new to work for and kept busy.
Pros
Good work life balence.
Cons
Can not think of any.
Sorry to have left
Bomb Apraisal Officer (Former Employee) –  HQ JOC Canberra2 August 2012
Loved working in the AFP.Very professional and Familyminded orginisation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Australian Federal Police. Our community is ready to answer.

Australian Federal Police Reviews by Location