Australian Federal Police
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Australian Federal Police Employee Reviews

3.9Work–Life Balance

My time in the AFP

My time in thr AFP included getting involved on multiple operations. Its long hours in the AFP, you have to prepare to put in the hours, however the teams you work with will be some of the best people you ever worked with. Management are good, understand your needs and pay is above expectation. I think anyone wishing to persue a career in the AFP, will throughly happy they did.

Pros

Work with exceptional People

Cons

Long Hours

Long hours, however can be rewarding.

This job is not for everyone, if you are willing to put the time and effort into study you can get promotion on merit. Depending on where and what you are assigned to it can be boring sometimes although mostly it is a worth while career path.

Pros

Get to work with some great people.

Cons

Moving around the country, when your station shuts down!

Satisfying. Opportunities to progress and grow

Great for a long term career. Opportunities to follow your dreams and develop significant skills. Policing provides challenges that are not seen in other organizations and as such you will gain great satisfaction as your career progresses.

Pros

Opportunities

Cons

Stress

Physically and mentally challenging

My time at the AFP College to become a sworn police officer was extremely challenging, both physically and mentally, yet also rewarding. Be prepared for 5am PT sessions followed by a long day of theory work.

Pros

great work colleagues

Cons

work culture

Good

When I started the AFP was seen as the premium law enforcement agency. Over the years the culture has changed and the Governrment has stripped the AFP of resources. Management and the organisation as a whole is very political. However there is some really good people in the organisation.

Pros

Some Good People

Cons

Salary

Outstanding

Not able to go into details but working for this agency was outstanding. Wish I was still doing the role. Great group of people with a passion for the work and all things related to it.

Job Security

Working for the Australian Federal Police provided job security and the opportunity to move between a variety of departments, as well as different cities in Australia as well as overseas.

Pros

Job security

Cons

Sadly still a male dominated working environment

A good place to work

I liked working here. The work was varied but very interesting. The work life balance was good and the people were friendly and helpful. They also offered a good career progression.

Federal Agent

Unreliable support structures in both operational and administrative areas. A lot of problems with online management systems and a real reluctance to work with other agencies in an open and transparent way, too secretive and competitive make for a culture of suspicion and devalued information.

Pros

Huge Capabilities

Cons

Inexperienced officers

chalenging work place,

my daily roll consisted of early starts, filing paperwork and making reports, customer service, assisting in all aspects of the problems, assisting in drug raids, arrests, investigations, and even down to giving evidence in court, my other duties included with road patrols, liscence checks, registration checks, and other classified duties

Pros

health cover, free lunches

Cons

high risk duties

Jobs at Australian Federal Police

See more jobs

Admin Supprt to Australian Federal Police

I loved my job working with the officers in Fraud and General Crime Division. My job was transposing recorded interviews to the Data system. It was varied and the officers were great to work with. I left when the officers became responsible for transposing and recording their interviews The work was highly confidential but interesting. I learnt alot whilst working with them and highly recommend a position with them.

Challenging

Having worked with the AFP past 13 years, i have covered many areas. I have encountered many challenges during this time, learnt many things. Dealt with good and bad people and learned how to work with various personalities. I am very much people type person and found at times challenging to "be the bad cop". I enjoy HELPING people. I had fantastic opportunities to travel overseas and meet some wonderful people both in the AFP, other Police Forces and other agencies. The AFP does offer you opportunities to advance, but it is not required to be a good officer.

Pros

Good Cop

Cons

Bad Cop

Meeting interesting people

Training people from all different cultures was a challenge. I travelled to other places I would not have gone to except for the job requirements. Serving my country in my role was a highlight

Pros

Interesting work

Cons

Away from home a lot

Fun place to be able to enjoy whilst at work and having to mix with the locals was great.

Working in the Police force enables you to be able to see how far you can push yourself with a task that is normally done by another higher ranking officer. I did find that the hours can be long and draining mentally and physically although I did manage my time on each job that I was to complete in a orderly time frame. I did like the camaraderie of the team and support in my time at the Police Force. I did do a lot of relief work as I do not have any dependants. I did however enjoy time at the remote stations and I made a lot of friends from the locals in the communities. I was able to do Blue light Disco,s and I also managed to with the help of the local publican supply Sunday breakfast for the children at the local park. I did enjoy playing football with the kids at the park as well as other activities at the local school.I do miss all the fun times and I know I have to move on to other adventures ahead.

Pros

Free Lunches

Cons

Long Hours

Great job security

I enjoyed my years with the AFP, especially as you had the opportunity to work in various areas and made quite a lot of new friends and colleagues along the way. Management at times was challenging as they all had "their own style" and you learnt to adapt to change readily.

Pros

Good work conditions, great job security

Cons

Shift work 24/7 was at times challenging.

Unable to comment on my work environment

I cannot talk about my work environment due to high security level. My organisation requires the information to be kept confidential.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Lack of opportunities

playing tenpin bowing watching moves and driving the car

a typical day at my work was made up taking over first thing was to sign in every morning from night shift to read any e-mails what i learned from the management was to have a better relationship and understanding of the working environment as for my co workers they were a great lot of guys to be able to work with i would be able to trust them with my life at any time and the hardest part of my job was to be able to get up early but after a wild you get use to it and the most enjoyable part of this job was knowing that i did injoy it so very much and the money was very good

Pros

know free lunch s

Cons

12 hour days 7 day roster s shift work

satisfaction in making passengers safe to travel !!

overall a good environment to work in , customer interaction, striving for good customer service, at the same time securing the safety of passengers boarding the aircraft.

Pros

good pay rate

Cons

stressful job

All round good career

Working for the AFP is interesting and motivating, I have been pushed to always look for something new to work for and kept busy.

Pros

Good work life balence.

Cons

Can not think of any.

Sorry to have left

Loved working in the AFP.Very professional and Familyminded orginisation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Australian Federal Police. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Australian Federal Police
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?