Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology Employee Reviews

The Bureau is a very relaxed environment, indeed too relaxed to the point that many times work does not get completed as quickly as one would like to. Wages are okay.
Pros
Relaxed environment and work life balance
Cons
No job security.
I would not recommend working in the technology projects space at BOM, although there are many nice people there, the experience was horrible due to the mismanagement and pressure put on our team. Our team was tasked to deliver a range of work, but plans and deadlines were constantly shifting outside of our control. This resulted in the management teams putting pressure on us to deliver work and questioning what work had been done, without taking ownership or responsibility of the fact that they had postponed or changed the work that had been planned. There was a huge lack of clarity overall and there was little trust between the many layers of management and our team.People were regularly resigning and leaving the project and not keen to come back due to this problematic management from above, with people being treated like cattle rather than assets.
Pros
Nice offices
Cons
Toxic culture, behind the times in tech mindset and not willing to adapt to modern standards
Loved the BoM. Sadly covid budget cuts meant some of us contractors had to be let go. A really passionate place, and everyone cares about doing the right thing for the public. Daily weather briefings for all staff was interesting - learned a lot, there's more to the weather than you think. If you like science, you will like the BoM.
Pros
Passionate people, science-based information, history
Cons
Some internal business processes need improvement
a very dull place to work at as an IT officer. very bad management. Contract terminated before the actual end date. No training offered during the contract
The bureau is a good place to work at. It has a great work culture and the IT BAU and project teams work towards a common goal. The pay grades are also high ( especially for contractors) and the managers ensure that all the issues and conflicts are resolved in an amicable manner. Recommended
Pros
Good teams and pay
I am pretty generous with companies however I am terribly sorry BOM but I have given you one star because I cannot give you no stars. As soon as I arrived five people resigned and this trend continued throughout my contract. I see the main issue as really toxic unattractive management. Mirrors, smoke, cloaks, daggers and secrets and incredibly toxic. Big conservative gold wedding rings on extraordinary unattractive people. I had to think of one thing that was OK and I could not think of one thing, except that you are near Southern Cross station which is good access via public transport. I do not recommend anyone works there until they can create a more positive work culture. It is so nasty and yet it seems like they get away with it because it is hard to get into and seems like such a great brand from the outside. I was completely shocked.
Pros
Zero
Cons
As listed in the review
Good Company.The Bureau of Meteorology is Australia's national provider of weather, climate, water, ocean and space weather information. We have been the nation's definitive source of environmental intelligence for more than 100 years. The Bureau delivers one of the most trusted, fundamental, popular and widely used government services. Our forecasts, warnings, information and advice enable Australians to best manage the impacts of the natural environment on their everyday lives. Our expert environmental intelligence is essential for the safety, sustainability, security, well-being and prosperity of all Australians.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
No Cons
The BOM whilst having great people working for it is severely underfunded which in turn is impacting on the organisations ability to meet its targets with limited resources. BOM also has a largely new Executive team and has gone through a very rushed restructure which i feel did not take into account the real goals and culture of the organisation and has caused a lot of angst among staff members. Morale and career progression at the BOM are at an all time low and the fact that staff haven't had a pay rise (or agreed an EBA in 4-years) isn't helping.
Pros
Good workers overall
Cons
Sever lack of leadership and transparency
The pay is good, management is appalling. If you are a meteorologist you're laughing, if not you need to be careful. Nepotism is rife so you need to suck up to the bosses. No leadership or leaders, just bosses who boss people around. Problem is they promote their own and aren't the right people. They pat themselves on the back and then wonder what to do and look for people to blame when they can't get things done. Everyone who leaves never goes back to Christmas lunches because usually they leave with a bad taste after the way there were treated, even people with 30-40 years service in all sections.
Pros
Can be interesting if you like the weather.
Cons
Location and Management
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology?
Good place to work with job work/life balance, public sector salary benefits with lot of new technologies to learn and improve ones skills to the best extent
Good work atmosphere, very good colleagues and good manager to work with. Having nice team work and helping each other to develop projects. They let you improve your knowledge about web design and graphics and appreciate what you doing for them.
The flood analysis and database research for flood analysis was extensive but great work to solve current problems in flood warnings and management.
Pros
Great organization to work for
Cons
Long shifts during extensive floods
Pleasant work environment but overly administrative. Commonwealth Procurement Rules create structure and easy to follow.
They understand the meteorology but not the business. Driving a restructuring by not looking at the detail is going to present organizational stress.
Pros
Nil
Cons
Nil
I have enjoyed my job in various departments, met some lovely people, acquired several on the job training. My day began at 8.00 am and finished at 4.30 with 1/2 hour or an hour for lunch. Learned new skills at the start of my career with Bureau of Meteorology. All the managers I worked for were very supportive and with great patience. My co-workers were friendly and helpful. We also met after working hours and week-ends. The hardest part for me was when the Bureau started centralizing and amalgamating jobs. Admin sections became obsolete. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new skills in different departments/sections of the Bureau.
Pros
No free lunches, but flexible working days are great when one is raising a family.
The BoM is an awesome place to work! The people are fun, it's a great space to learn and brainstorm ideas between colleagues and the environment is always friendly. Learning from easy going people is one of the best characteristics, while a well organized system does include formalities of a public service nature. The monthly climate and water briefing was a great experience; always interesting to see what models propose and how they are presented to the audience.
Pros
Open Office Desk, Easy-Going Colleagues, Kitchen
Cons
None so far!
Prioritise work load was a typical days work, learning abut statistics of weather conditions throughout the country, great management personnel with in the section, friendly co-workers, hardest part of the job was not having enough staff and time to finish the said tasks. The most enjoyable part of the job was that you could depend on staff to chip in and work as a team.
Pros
great people to socialise and work for.
Cons
be appreciated
My role is an essential service to the people of not just Australia but to the outside world. I do not flinch from this task and know the risk. Life is what you make it but soon ( in a little over five years) I will rest.
Pros
Nil
Cons
Nil
I was brought in for a 12 month contract and extended for 12 months. APS organisations have instruction to end all non-ongoing contracts so I sadly have to finish.