Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology

Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology Employee Reviews in Melbourne VIC

Melbourne VIC9 reviews

3.7Work–Life Balance

Friendly team and good place to work

Respected federal Govt agency - has many opportunities to move around and try different things . Fun scientists and technology people and lots to learn

Management and Culture needs a shakeup

.Didn't appreciate getting yelled at by management. Overwork and underpaid. Expected to complete work way above pay grade. Mass exit because of bad culture, no consultation when changes occur and lack of management people skills.

Pros

Some colleague's

Cons

Management and culture

The work life balance was the main reason I stayed after completing my first (and very interesting project)

This was my first government job. Was a big adjustment - no tea, no coffee, no milk - stationary the cheapest they could get - very different to the private sector. Once I made the adjustment people were mostly good, internal processes frustrating- All this in the name of making sure the tax payers money was spent wisely- the waste due to the bureaucracy was staggering, and the job interview process - words fail me. But I stayed nearly 6 years you just have to adapt!

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Bureaucracy- and poor salaries

Great work life balance, good wages, no job security.

The Bureau is a very relaxed environment, indeed too relaxed to the point that many times work does not get completed as quickly as one would like to. Wages are okay.

Pros

Relaxed environment and work life balance

Cons

No job security.

good place

The bureau is a good place to work at. It has a great work culture and the IT BAU and project teams work towards a common goal. The pay grades are also high ( especially for contractors) and the managers ensure that all the issues and conflicts are resolved in an amicable manner. Recommended

Pros

Good teams and pay

Limiting

I am pretty generous with companies however I am terribly sorry BOM but I have given you one star because I cannot give you no stars. As soon as I arrived five people resigned and this trend continued throughout my contract. I see the main issue as really toxic unattractive management. Mirrors, smoke, cloaks, daggers and secrets and incredibly toxic. Big conservative gold wedding rings on extraordinary unattractive people. I had to think of one thing that was OK and I could not think of one thing, except that you are near Southern Cross station which is good access via public transport. I do not recommend anyone works there until they can create a more positive work culture. It is so nasty and yet it seems like they get away with it because it is hard to get into and seems like such a great brand from the outside. I was completely shocked.

Pros

Zero

Cons

As listed in the review

Good place to work with job work/life balance, public sector salary benefits with lot of new technologies to learn and improve ones skills to the best extent

Engaging

The flood analysis and database research for flood analysis was extensive but great work to solve current problems in flood warnings and management.

Pros

Great organization to work for

Cons

Long shifts during extensive floods

Flexible hours, days off when family members were ill

I have enjoyed my job in various departments, met some lovely people, acquired several on the job training. My day began at 8.00 am and finished at 4.30 with 1/2 hour or an hour for lunch. Learned new skills at the start of my career with Bureau of Meteorology. All the managers I worked for were very supportive and with great patience. My co-workers were friendly and helpful. We also met after working hours and week-ends. The hardest part for me was when the Bureau started centralizing and amalgamating jobs. Admin sections became obsolete. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new skills in different departments/sections of the Bureau.

Pros

No free lunches, but flexible working days are great when one is raising a family.

Jobs at Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology