Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
View all Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology reviews

Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology

Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology Employee Review

Avoid at all costs

Terrible, toxic, negative place to work.It's taken me months to get over the abusive experience of being at BOM.Poor inexperienced management that aren't capable of giving direction and regularly ask the subordinates for advice. Instead of mentoring me or giving direction they let me go. I tried for a while to schedule a sit down with someone, but management were more interested in going on extended holidays week after week. My coworkers would complain about management, the higher-ups seemed to believe working there is a burden to themselves. Constant negativity about the incoming workload and responsibilities.Felt like I was going to cry a lot of days with how poorly I was treated. Things like not being given the tools to do the job whilst also being given pressure to work harder. My coworkers all had much more to do than they were capable of doing, I wanted to help them but management have their priorities completely backwards. Really inefficient work practices in place. Poorly kept area where we have to empty the bins ourselves. Receptionist unwelcoming. Disparaging words from supervisors about you, the company, the other departments. Drains the life out of you. Really not worth the toll it takes.I think they want workers who either really don't care about contributing or they want people who are doormats okay with being walked over and mistreated.Genuinely disturbing experience. I was close to contacting Fair Work regularly.

Same location

Toxic culture, too much micro management and no trust in staff

I would not recommend working in the technology projects space at BOM, although there are many nice people there, the experience was horrible due to the mismanagement and pressure put on our team. Our team was tasked to deliver a range of work, but plans and deadlines were constantly shifting outside of our control. This resulted in the management teams putting pressure on us to deliver work and questioning what work had been done, without taking ownership or responsibility of the fact that they had postponed or changed the work that had been planned. There was a huge lack of clarity overall and there was little trust between the many layers of management and our team.People were regularly resigning and leaving the project and not keen to come back due to this problematic management from above, with people being treated like cattle rather than assets.

Pros

Nice offices

Cons

Toxic culture, behind the times in tech mindset and not willing to adapt to modern standards
Same location

Great place to work - people care about public service

Loved the BoM. Sadly covid budget cuts meant some of us contractors had to be let go. A really passionate place, and everyone cares about doing the right thing for the public. Daily weather briefings for all staff was interesting - learned a lot, there's more to the weather than you think. If you like science, you will like the BoM.

Pros

Passionate people, science-based information, history

Cons

Some internal business processes need improvement

Bureau of Meteorologists

The pay is good, management is appalling. If you are a meteorologist you're laughing, if not you need to be careful. Nepotism is rife so you need to suck up to the bosses. No leadership or leaders, just bosses who boss people around. Problem is they promote their own and aren't the right people. They pat themselves on the back and then wonder what to do and look for people to blame when they can't get things done. Everyone who leaves never goes back to Christmas lunches because usually they leave with a bad taste after the way there were treated, even people with 30-40 years service in all sections.

Pros

Can be interesting if you like the weather.

Cons

Location and Management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology with