Australian Government Department of Human Services

Australian Government Department of Human Services Employee Reviews

Soul destroying dept to work for with poor culture/morale
CSA (Current Employee) –  Adelaide SA24 April 2019
Rewarding work personally however terrible leadership creates poor culture and morale. Bullying is ripe throughout the dept and is always covered up. You are just a number in this department don’t expect anything in return for your hard work other than pay and poor treatment
Pros
Salary
Cons
Poor management. Bullying. Low morale.
Productive and fun workplace
Customer Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Canberra ACT23 April 2019
Productive workplace where you will learn a lot and be encouraged to explore your skills and interests. Great work culture with a supporting network of staff.
Great people -Bad role
Compliance Officer/ Chandler Macleod/ DHS (Former Employee) –  Springvale VIC2 April 2019
Debt recovery was a very stressful position . The people were great Talking to pensioners and disability pensioners about debt was challenging for me.
Pros
People
Cons
Role was degative
Great location, friendly colleagues, Well organised.
Recruitment Officer (Former Employee) –  Tuggeranong ACT26 March 2019
Great location, friendly colleagues, Well organised. I only worked as a contractor for a short period of time. Work was great, staff were very helpful to make you feel welcome.
Good security, poor management, poor advancement
Developer (Current Employee) –  Brisbane3 March 2019
Good job security, good conditions, but low opportunities for wage advancement. Poor management exacerbated by political considerations. Much more about who you know than it's supposed to be.
Executive role with many challenges and excellent job satisfaction
HR Director (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD26 February 2019
High pressure environment where I contributed significantly to the culture, wellbeing and all HR strategies for the department.
Many achievements and management of sensitive people issues and senior levels.
Pros
Amazing public servant career
Cons
Productive and challenging work enviroment
Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Queanbeyan NSW27 January 2019
As a Customer Service Officer, I provide exceptional customer service who is seeking assistant. Customer Service is my passion therefore, always provide best solution available for all customers. I will bring diversity to the workplace by performing duties required of me, for instance, observing high levels of customer service and complaints handling. Handling both high volume of face to face and over the phone customer service is my passion therefore I am very comfortable in this area.
Calm and friendly working environment
FILING OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Parramatta NSW24 January 2019
I was assigned to organise and recreate a work friendly filing system. This lead to, assisting the accounts department with their admin duties. eg, creating invoices, sorting and dispersing incoming and outgoing mail.

It was a fun place to work, along with helpful co-workers.
Supportive environment
Recruitment Officer APS3 (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD21 January 2019
This was only a temporary assignment for 3 months. I enjoyed the work and the people in my team. I enjoyed liaising with other departmental staff around the country in order to place newspaper and gazette advertisements.
I learnt a small amount about SAP - staff movements and creation of positions. I had never used this system previously.
The hardest part of the job was the Friday deadlines for advertising in the press. We were always running against the clock.
Pros
Good team.
Cons
Wasn't there long enough to have any.
interesting
Youth Justice Worker (Former Employee) –  Parkville VIC20 October 2018
A typical day at work was monitering the safety of the clients. I learned patience working in this role. Management wasn't the best or the culture. Hardest part of the job was working with co workers and management that were cliques and exclusive. Most enjoyable part of the job was going home for the day.
A company that poses many challenges
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC15 October 2018
A typical day was usually to expect the unexpected. Working with people with intellectual, physical and mental issues would often put planned days off the table. So workers have to be flexible. I learned to see the world from many perspectives, not only from our clients point of view but workers as well. I often felt that management could have performed better, especially when it came to dealing with the families of clients, they appeared to take the easy way out, and side with the families not realising that sometimes this caused unnecessary stress on workers but clients as well. The hardest part was working with a client who would make a constant noise. Some clients has the ability to either scream or yell for hours on end. What I enjoyed the fact that I was not stuck in one place five days a week. As a casual I was employed in many homes and many clients enjoyed going out. I always wondered how many jobs pay their employees to go to the beach, pictures, zoo and plays?
Pros
Freedom to choose which house I worked in.
Cons
working with supervisors with poor people skills.
10 Years Customer Service
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC5 October 2018
Review
 Deliver services via telephone to assist customers with government payments & services, within defined policy, legislation & guidelines.

 
Good benefits
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW12 September 2018
Work with committed staff who are committed to providing positive outcomes
The hours are Monday to Friday, no weekend work unless you are committed to working overtime
Pros
good benefits
Cons
repetative work
Result focused workplace with varying cultures between branches
Project Officer (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT4 September 2018
DHS can be a good place to work, however this largely depends on where in the department you are working. Policy and project areas can be a positive, supportive atmosphere; however some areas have a large amount of pressure placed on them by management with unrealistic expectations placed on them in order to look good to the media and public. Things would greatly improve if the department would be willing to provide areas with the amount of staff they require rather than making cuts simply to say they've reduced costs.
Enjoyed My Time Here
Payroll Officer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane Central Business District QLD28 August 2018
Great flexible working conditions and pay
Friendly environment
Job security
Opportunities for development and scope for changing careers within other government departments
Pros
Flexible working conditions
Cons
Not a great deal of scope for innovation
Good working colleagues
Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD27 August 2018
i learnt alot of different things,
the hardest part of the job was my confidence as i doubted myself alot,
the most enjoyable part of the job was working along wonderful staff
Pros
free lunches
Cons
not getting the proper training
Great Department
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  sydney27 July 2018
Great benefits and work life balance and plenty of opportunities to be had. Flexible management and helpful staff. Learning and development programs are state of the art!
Pros
flexible arrangemnts
Centrelink
Senior Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD23 July 2018
As per previous feedback. Not sure why I doubled up on everything. This must be a reflection on my IT skills and will probably prompt some investigation into online courses
Interesting but complex work
Compliance Officer APS4 (Current Employee) –  Townsville City QLD17 June 2018
DHS is a typical government department. There at a lot of rules and regulations that must be adhered to in everyday transactions and processes.

Management really is at the highest level in Canberra and not much can be done without the permission of government.

There is a lot of change on an ongoing basis which has allowed me to become very use to change as a regular occurrence.

Unfortunately there is no job security and the dept is not very communicative about whether contracts will be extended.
Pros
Great renumberation
Cons
No job security
Client service officer
Client Service Officer Centrelink and Aged Care (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT24 May 2018
Good team members, good management. High Number of call of public for various social security payments, applications processing and various other service requests.

excellent training and support was provided

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Australian Government Department of Human Services. Our community is ready to answer.