Australian Government Department of Human Services Employee Reviews for Compliance Officer

Interesting but complex work
Compliance Officer APS4 (Current Employee) –  Townsville City QLD17 June 2018
DHS is a typical government department. There at a lot of rules and regulations that must be adhered to in everyday transactions and processes.

Management really is at the highest level in Canberra and not much can be done without the permission of government.

There is a lot of change on an ongoing basis which has allowed me to become very use to change as a regular occurrence.

Unfortunately there is no job security and the dept is not very communicative about whether contracts will be extended.
Pros
Great renumberation
Cons
No job security
Fun workplace with a lot of flexibility
Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW5 April 2018
Working to reduce fraud in the department. Being on phones 80% of the time to take calls then work on cases in your after call work time. Very friendly staff and team team leaders.
Pros
Flexible timetable
Cons
Adherence monitored
No set schedule.
Compliance Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD2 March 2018
No work/life balance. No set schedule - all over the place. Exceptional salary.
Great team to work with.
The hardest part of the job was the continual abuse by the customers.
Learned different programs.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Temporary
Toxic environment that workers endured for the sake of job security
Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  Hobart, Tasmania23 August 2017
Staff morale was very bad as there was a toxic culture due to Managers that drove it.

Expected to fulfil case load whether computers were operational or not which often were not operational and regardless of the degree of case complexity. Managers were unhelpful and did not value a methodical approach but wanted quantity over quality.

Would never want to work there again.
Pros
good pay rates
Cons
toxic environment
high telephone based environment; stressful
Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD22 December 2015
Benefits are excellent if you are permanent. Management and co-workers are all professional and worked with integrity. There are still a lot of things to learn and I was happy to do the processing work (calculating over payments and raising debts) but due to a temporary medical situation (menopause and hyperthyroidism) I couldn't handle stress of taking phone calls because of sleepless nights that resulted in nervousness. I wasn't offered the perks of a permanent employee as I am on a non-ongoing contract even if I requested to perform lower level duties. I enjoyed being productive everyday doing processing/administrative work.