Australian Government Department of Human Services

Australian Government Department of Human Services Management reviews

Soul destroying dept to work for with poor culture/morale
CSA (Current Employee) –  Adelaide SA24 April 2019
Rewarding work personally however terrible leadership creates poor culture and morale. Bullying is ripe throughout the dept and is always covered up. You are just a number in this department don’t expect anything in return for your hard work other than pay and poor treatment
Pros
Salary
Cons
Poor management. Bullying. Low morale.
Executive role with many challenges and excellent job satisfaction
HR Director (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD26 February 2019
High pressure environment where I contributed significantly to the culture, wellbeing and all HR strategies for the department.
Many achievements and management of sensitive people issues and senior levels.
Pros
Amazing public servant career
interesting
Youth Justice Worker (Former Employee) –  Parkville VIC20 October 2018
A typical day at work was monitering the safety of the clients. I learned patience working in this role. Management wasn't the best or the culture. Hardest part of the job was working with co workers and management that were cliques and exclusive. Most enjoyable part of the job was going home for the day.
A company that poses many challenges
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC15 October 2018
A typical day was usually to expect the unexpected. Working with people with intellectual, physical and mental issues would often put planned days off the table. So workers have to be flexible. I learned to see the world from many perspectives, not only from our clients point of view but workers as well. I often felt that management could have performed better, especially when it came to dealing with the families of clients, they appeared to take the easy way out, and side with the families not realising that sometimes this caused unnecessary stress on workers but clients as well. The hardest part was working with a client who would make a constant noise. Some clients has the ability to either scream or yell for hours on end. What I enjoyed the fact that I was not stuck in one place five days a week. As a casual I was employed in many homes and many clients enjoyed going out. I always wondered how many jobs pay their employees to go to the beach, pictures, zoo and plays?
Pros
Freedom to choose which house I worked in.
Cons
working with supervisors with poor people skills.
Result focused workplace with varying cultures between branches
Project Officer (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT4 September 2018
DHS can be a good place to work, however this largely depends on where in the department you are working. Policy and project areas can be a positive, supportive atmosphere; however some areas have a large amount of pressure placed on them by management with unrealistic expectations placed on them in order to look good to the media and public. Things would greatly improve if the department would be willing to provide areas with the amount of staff they require rather than making cuts simply to say they've reduced costs.
Great Department
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  sydney27 July 2018
Great benefits and work life balance and plenty of opportunities to be had. Flexible management and helpful staff. Learning and development programs are state of the art!
Pros
flexible arrangemnts
Interesting but complex work
Compliance Officer APS4 (Current Employee) –  Townsville City QLD17 June 2018
DHS is a typical government department. There at a lot of rules and regulations that must be adhered to in everyday transactions and processes.

Management really is at the highest level in Canberra and not much can be done without the permission of government.

There is a lot of change on an ongoing basis which has allowed me to become very use to change as a regular occurrence.

Unfortunately there is no job security and the dept is not very communicative about whether contracts will be extended.
Pros
Great renumberation
Cons
No job security
Client service officer
Client Service Officer Centrelink and Aged Care (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT24 May 2018
Good team members, good management. High Number of call of public for various social security payments, applications processing and various other service requests.

excellent training and support was provided
Management need to be changed
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Townsville City QLD5 April 2018
Would not like to work in that environment again, would not ever apply for another position with them as the management I had was well below standard and protected
Pros
earning money
Cons
management
Interesting work
Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD14 January 2018
I was a Service Officer(AO3) for the Department of Human Services -Centerlink. I worked in a call centre in Brisbane and was responsible for the delivery of centrelink services via the phone. I was in the area of Families and Parenting Support, and dealt with many issues with people and their lives.The job was demanding as well as sometimes, emotionally draining. I always delivered the best service I could to the many customers on a daily basis. I enjoyed company of the people I worked and was supported by management and training as required.
Pros
Delivering quality Customer Serice
Cons
Emotionally draining
High pressure environment
Senior Policy Advisor Project officer- Pharmacy (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT15 November 2017
Can be a high pressure environment but are well compensated and supported for the challenges of client facing issues. Client expecations would be the hardest part of the position but staff and management are very supportive and it has a strong coaching culture
Toxic environment that workers endured for the sake of job security
Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  Hobart, Tasmania23 August 2017
Staff morale was very bad as there was a toxic culture due to Managers that drove it.

Expected to fulfil case load whether computers were operational or not which often were not operational and regardless of the degree of case complexity. Managers were unhelpful and did not value a methodical approach but wanted quantity over quality.

Would never want to work there again.
Pros
good pay rates
Cons
toxic environment
Secure job
Assist customers to access (Former Employee) –  Tweed Heads NSW27 July 2017
Very very busy job, lots of accountability
Work force is predominately casual and can be very insecure
Being casual you aren't treated as valued employee
The friendships and teamwork of the casuals, renumeration
Tasks and projects had "meaning" for both employees and the general public
Senior Records and Information Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Hobart TAS26 January 2017
The use if Information Technology to assist clinical, counsellors and housing recipients was excellent.
Employees could notice how the organisations mission statement related to the tasks and projects they were working on. This gave an incredible sense of satisfaction and self esteem.
Pros
Good management encouraging organisation
Cons
Long hours deadlines
Productive work place with friendly coworkers
customer service (Former Employee) –  Moreland VIC8 January 2017
If I didn't leave due to maternity, I would most likely still have been working with the department of human services as the environment was fast-paced, fun and productive, and we got paid really well and the hours were very flexible. The staff and management were all really friendly and approachable which was a huge bonus.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
we didn't feel like we had much job security
Great Place, great people.
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Goulburn NSW21 November 2016
The days were eventful, always something different and you never knew what to expect you have to have a strong mind and a firm tongue. i learnt something new everyday. management was flexible yet stable. co workers were amazing, like family and they were always there to help. Hardest part was dealing with confronting clients and their stories. Most enjoyable part was having a customer leave happy.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Confrontation at hard times
Productive workplace
Disability Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Alexandra VIC4 September 2016
Friendly staff, always willing to help and support you. Learned to support people with a range of different disabilities. Management are always will to support you throughout everything including personal life and work life
Pros
reasonable pay
Cons
great enviroment with appealing rewards
IT tech support and staff management (Current Employee) –  Canberra ACT23 August 2016
great place to work, I have worked with them for over ten years and gained valuable experience and training in a wide range of areas from customer services to people management.
Pros
flexible hours
loyalty and honesty
Trade co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Bendigo VIC8 August 2016
I am looking to work within a company that see's its workers as employees not numbers, a company that recognizes hard work and initiative, and an employer that give straight clear and precise instruction.
I have always strived to achieve the best possible result, I have the ability to problem solve as I go, and believe in a fair days work for a fair days pay.
If you are looking for someone who is loyal, honest and hard working, look no further, I am here.
Pros
clear instruction, aproachable management
Cons
shift work
Great wages bad workplace culture
Call Centre Operator (Former Employee) –  Bunbury WA13 July 2016
a typical day at work was incredibly stressful
I learned a lot of skills: telephone management, data entry, Centrelink specific information etc.
management is extremely harsh and have an issue with people with mental or physical illnesses.
co workers of the same level were great. higher level staff were quite nasty.

hardest part of the job was sticking to the provided schedules especially when a call would take a lot longer as the customer had a lot of topics to address.
the training sessions were pretty fun as we would all bring snacks to share and usually play some random group games at various intervals.
Pros
high wages
Cons
treated like robots

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Australian Government Department of Human Services. Our community is ready to answer.