Australian Hearing Employee Reviews

Disappointing
Audiologist (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD10 June 2019
I am posting this review because the organisation is called Australian Hearing and there are no reviews from audiologists. Audiology is a lengthy and expensive course, at least five years full time university study and conservatively $40000 HECS debt. There are also ongoing annual costs of $500 plus, and some training in your own time, to maintain your provider number. AH audiologists are paid similarly to teachers and nurses (see the EA). Superannuation contribution of 15% for all employees, same as other Commonwealth employees. My standard day was 8:00am to 5:30 or 6:00 pm, with 30 minutes lunch break. Unpaid overtime was the norm, for me, and I saw many other audiologists working the same or longer hours than I did. Lots of IT issues, which increased my workload. Hopefully, these problems have now been resolved. I worked a nine - day fortnight but needed it, given the lengthy hours and constant workload. Not sure if a driver’s licence is mandatory but is needed as there is lots of travel to visiting sites and home visits. I often used my own car as there was not always a work car available. I was paid mileage. You have sales targets so need to be comfortable with selling. There is a bonus scheme, but only mades up a small part of your pay. Generous parental leave scheme and family friendly work environment. Most audiologists I worked with were part- timers. Some managers are audiologists others are not. It seemed to me that non-clinical staff had good opportunities for advancement, without the costs of study. Reasonably good training. I do not know about work  more... place diversity across the organisation, but I saw limited diversity, and inclusiveness, over several centres I worked at. Would recommend this job for those seeking a part-time secondary household income. For full-timers would work here a couple of years, for training and experience, and then look for something better paid. I do not recommend joining the union. Expensive and did not seem willing to help. The same union covers most staff so no dedicated assistance for issues specific to audiologists. Given the ageing population likely to get a job but might need to relocate, at least initially.  less
Pros
15% super, 9 day fortnight
Cons
HECS debt, long hours, pay, lack of support from management, back stabbing
dreadful place to work
Customer Service Officer - Full Time (Former Employee) –  Hamilton VIC10 February 2019
lots of work place bullying and NO support as higher management believed lies created by team leader
Staff from other clinics very clicky and not supportive, had extended lunch hours whilst you were lucky to get 10-15 min
Pros
nothing
Cons
expected to do banking and post office in 1/2 hour lunch break
A humbling experience at all times
Area Manager Orange & Dubbo (Former Employee) –  Dubbo NSW19 February 2018
On the road with clinicians was always very interesting and inspiring to see the care and professionalism at every appointment. Travelling to Regional NSW e.g. Cobar, Warren, Nyngan, Tottenham and meeting amazing people was always a highlight of this job. Providing assistive listening devices to people with hearing impairment and helping them to be independent and live a better life.
Talking to school students about looking after their hearing health.
Slow and boring
On Job Training Student (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW28 September 2017
At this workplacement although, the employees were very helpful I felt as though they did not trust or at least give me the benefit of the doubt of letting me help out with stuff. I always suggested if they need extra help but they always refused, which is understable. But afterall I am here to gain experience aren't I? Overall it was a great experience
Pros
Lots of free time
Cons
Less work to do
well known government provider
Marketing/ community liaison (Former Employee) –  Victoria4 June 2017
A good structure and clearly visible procedures and systems. Respectful and rewarding of hard effort and an excellent team morale.
Would recommend to graduating students for solid support
Pros
good environment
Cons
nil
Rewarding job
Technician (Former Employee) –  Erina NSW1 June 2017
Repairing hearing aid entering setting and graphing everyday there was something to learn as most times nothing was repetitive always learning on the job. Management was good and helpful from different managers to general manager to head office staff and managing director.
The culture in the company as it's a National company was to keep everything the same no matter what center you visited you got the same service with a smile in which the center I worked at was special as the staff are so helpful weather it to other staff members or clients.
The hardest part was to keep a happy and calm manner when they are either on the phone or face to face and the clients are angry because they can't hear with their devices.
The most enjoyable is definitely when putting a smile on the client's face when you have helped them with their problem and they can hear you as they as so appreciative of what you have done.
Pros
RDO every fortnight
Helping people (seniors and people with disabilities) gain assisted hearing
Office Manager, Hearing Centre Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bunbury WA13 December 2016
Great company to work for. I enjoyed my role with AH as a wonderful and sometimes challenging experience.
I believe I possess the necessary skills and experience you are seeking and would make a valuable addition to your company. Throughout my whole working career, I have worked in Allied Health Services that have been focused and inclusive in business and in allied health and seniors.
I am an enthusiastic customer service professional and an exceptional customer care professional who addresses inquiries and resolves problems as they arise.
Enjoyed my work here.
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Gladstone QLD18 November 2016
It was very rewarding to be part of a team which greatly improves the quality of peoples lives. Hearing is so important for people to carry out many necessary tasks. People can become socially isolated when they have trouble being part of a conversation.
Rewarding and challenging
2IC Customer service officer (Former Employee) –  Launceston TAS1 November 2016
There was scope to continually learn which I enjoyed.
I was encouraged to learn new skills and was supported through this process.

I was in constant contact with people from all walks of life and ages. I learnt that I was an excellent problem solver and through issues that would arise on any day you had to be flexible to the role.

The hardest part about the role was having different management styles that would cause conflict within the business. This I found manageable as I believe I was there to provide a service and I did this with integrity and with all of my ability.

The most enjoyable role was the clinical assisting with the audiologists and working with the children as well as the more complex clients.
I worked with a fantastic team of dedicated Audiologists and Customer Service workers which was the most enjoyable part of my employment.
Pros
Learning new skills and being challenged.
Cons
Long hours outside of work.
Fun times with great staff
Customer Service Officer/Hearing Centre Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mt Gravatt QLD14 May 2016
I learnt that you can enjoy working with the elderly and it also gave me great pleasure to see the light in a child's eyes when they could hear for the first time ever.
not applicable
PART-TIME CUSTOMER SERVICE OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Blacktown NSW20 April 2016
Very busy centre, lovely clients and colleagues. Feeling I have accomplished a good day when I know I have helped my clients to the fullest. The hardest part I find about this job is not being able to finish everything in one day.
Not a very nice place to work.
Hearing Centre Supervisor/Clinical assistance (Former Employee) –  Cleveland QLD29 November 2015
Its a shame that managers have there favours, no one will get anywhere unless you are in the click. Long hours for nothing.
Cons
great place to work cutting edge
IT Service Delivery Manager (Former Employee) –  sydney nsw2 September 2015
great place to work cutting edge technology - third largest globally - Australian Hearing really does make a difference to peoples lives and the community people and culture really do care
Pros
culture
Cons
government
Most of the people are there for genuine reasons
Executive (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NSW19 May 2015
With the support of the previous CEO I was able to create a great culture of people supporting each other when times were tough. It is an environment where we work hard but also like to have fun to create a work environment where people look forward to coming to work.
Pros
Great people, good culture, team work
Cons
the red tape that comes with government agencies
Enjoyed the community service aspect of the workplace
Client Services/Reception/ Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Dandenong3 November 2014
Enjoyed the community service aspect of the workplace.
Good.
Great team
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Bunbury, WA6 March 2014
I love Administration, Reception & great customer service
I have learned to deal with customers and clients from all walks of life.
I LOVE my co-workers whom I have worked with for eight years as Office Manager.
My job isn't hard, just busy and interacting with other people is my passion.
Unfortunately being a Commonwealth Government position, the position across Australia was made redundant.
I'm looking for a position with all of these opportunities mentioned (a similar role assisting with people via phone and face to face, also administration if required.
Pros
Cons
Being made redundant
enjoyable fast paced environment
Full-time Customer Support Officer (Former Employee) –  NSW30 October 2013
My time with Australian Hearing has been, on the whole, satisfying and productive, and my interaction with clients has been a very rewarding experience.
A typical day would include receiving inbound and outbound calls, resolving clients issues in a timely matter, preparing files for audiologists, filloing appointments, achieving monthly KPI's, filling, bank, post/couriers, government claiming, minor technical repairs and marketing.
The hardest part of the job was time management and learning how to multitask all tasks into one day. The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction felt knowing the service Australian Hearing provides is to make a better lifestyle to those whom are hearing impaired. Knowing you may have made a small difference to the clients.
Pros
meet a lot of different people
Cons
quick pace atmosphere
Relaxed but productive workplace.
Client Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Port Macquarie NSW20 December 2012
I enjoyed my time at Australian Hearing immensely. And would very much have aspired to advancemy role with the organisation, as I feel they provide a wonderful & thorough service to the hearing impaired.
Pros
salary, superannuation, relaxed environment, diverse clientele.
Cons
lack of consistent training & support.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Australian Hearing. Our community is ready to answer.