Australian National University
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Australian National University Employee Reviews

I have been working as a casual employee at the ANU for over 4 years. It is by far one of the most enjoyable experiences in my professional career. Great work culture and a lot of freedom is given to tutors and research assistants.
The ANU has offered a great opportunity to grow in both my profession and my personal life. Being able to collaborate with colleagues in other fields has enriched my career and the ANU has been a great place to achieve this.
ANU is a very employee centric organisation and the management is also considerate to the needs of its employees. The environment is very collaborative
Please refer to my resume for any information you require including an outline of the typical things i did at work, workplace culture, what i learned.
Friendly staff, lively environment . You can manage your time. flexible timing. good salary , break between the semester, payment every two weeks, nice campus
Supervisors/managers are not accountable for their actions. They hold so much power people are afraid to report the relentless bullying that happens. I submitted a formal complaint but have seen no action taken yet.
Very good place to work. I love teaching students at The Australian National University. All tutors are given training before the semester starts. This is very helpful.
I have spend my whole university life there, its located in Canberra, capital of Australia, its no.1 university of Australia, strong recommend to be there for uni life.
Being a PhD candidate days are more often engaged on researches and planning publications. A balanced life, not to limit to academic is important in order to manage the physical and metal health. ANU is an institute which always promote healthier, balanced life
You are surrounded by excellent colleagues and there are some fantastic opportunities here. There was an emphasis on getting rid of any impediments to doing a great job.
Good place to work, nice setting in bushy surrounds. Well paid and stimulating intellectually. Not a lot of work available beyond contracts though. I'd work there again, happily.
I learned a lot in the Research School of Chemistry in the ANU. I indeed improved not only in my skills and but also in my mind. After leaving the ANU, I feel like I could face any difficulties in my daily life.
ANU is a nice environment for any enthusiastic body to learn more. It's almost very equipped with modern facilities which in some cases may be at the top in the globe. Highly talented staffs also could make a nice network for collaborating more efficiently.
Firstly, the Research School of Biology has an excellent school manager who knows the rules, is flexible with time but still requires you to do good work. There is ample opportunity to go to different talks about subjects in the school and you get to meet people that are actually making a difference to the work we live in. Hardest part: always proving that you have the right to work there and not wanting to disappoint your peers or manager. Enjoyable: your colleagues are generally well chosen and the researchers are good people.
Pros
Flexible time
Cons
I got an overview about Finance here and knew many interest people. Lecturers showed great profession on their fields and tutors helped me in learning.
Interesting work A lot of client contact Research opportunities Liaison with staff and students Great location Great management Good work culture Supervision provided Opportunities for professional development
The ANU is a prestigious home for those who wish to advance their career in the world of research and academia. The College of Business and Economics is looking to be on the forefront of education, research, and business advisory partnerships. The talent within the College is unmatched.
Working as a research student at ANU is a quiet affair where one can focus on their work with little distraction. The work culture is pretty self-contained, one must be willing to put themselves out there to make friends as most people in Canberra keep to themselves. The most difficult part of the job is the long work hours for relatively little pay, of course the fact that you enjoy the work you are doing is a bonus, but little consolation for the typically 60+ hour work weeks that occur in such research. The quiet atmosphere at ANU is good for focusing, but may be too slow for people used to main cities like Sydney.
Pros
Interesting work, good colleagues, travel opportunities, quiet atmosphere
Cons
long hours for little pay, may feel isolated
ANU is a very nice and quiet place if you want to spend a few years for your education. In addition, the living environment is great too except it is a little too expensive.
Pros
Peaceful place
Cons
Expensive
There are many things to like about the ANU, and indeed Canberra as a place to live. However, the University is beset by a senior management culture which is essentially unaccountable and self-protects at the expense of the protections of due process that staff should normally expect. Unless and until there is a dramatic shift in that culture (evidence for which would be some display of responsiveness to staff concerns) it remains a risky place indeed to invest one's career
Pros
Natural environment.
Cons
Work environment.
The senior central administrative managers have created a toxic culture where perpetrators of bullying and harassment are supported and victims are silenced. Though the executive have been made aware of this, they do nothing about it. They have no concern for people, there is nothing human about human resources where some of the worst bullies reside. Don't believe the glossy facade of ANU, it is a cesspool of self-supporting sociopaths (as described by many psychologists and doctors around the ACT who have helped their victims).
Pros
Nice campus
Cons
Toxic culture of bullying