Australian Red Cross Lifeblood
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Australian Red Cross Lifeblood Employee Reviews

3.3Work–Life Balance

Favorite job to date!

Featured review

Australian Red Cross Lifeblood selected this as a representative review
Great work /life balace and working environment. Lots of room for advancement and growth. Great pay and fun place to work while helping to make a difference and save lives.

Increased demand and poor work life balance

They only care about the donors and draw every ounce of blood, sweat and tears out of their donor services staff. They hours are extended beyond what staff can cope with while trying to achieve work life balance and maintain their mental health. I regularly see colleagues in tears because of the ridiculous workload.

Cons

Unsustainable kpi’s, senior management don’t give a rats about regular staff

13 October 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave this feedback. As we know, Australian’s ways of living have changed a lot over the past year and a half, and this includes our donor’s habits (finding time to donate blood and plasma). This has resulted in some changes to our Donor Centre operating hours, however, our employee’s wellbeing remains an absolute priority for us. If you feel comfortable sharing more, please feel free to email us at lifebloodcareers@redcrossblood.org.au so we can pass this on to the appropriate team.

Management concerns

Horrible company to work for!!! Treat their staff horrendously, including the ones that have been there for several years and dedicated a large portion of their life to the company. Cliquey management drama creates poor workplace energy and does not encourage good team morale. Continued complaints and grievances lodged about this and still nothing to show for it. Cons: Ineffective management, inside hiring of staff and friends to ensure that the hierarchy is biased, mental health affected, no work/life balance at all, horrible colleagues

Pros

Nothing. This job will ruin your life.

Cons

See: your review

13 October 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave this feedback. We’re concerned about the issues raised here which do not align to our values, leadership principles and regulated recruitment processes. If you feel comfortable sharing more specific information so that we can escalate this, please feel free to email us at lifebloodcareers@redcrossblood.org.au.

Close scrutiny of performance, micromanaged.

What started out as a fun and strict workplace became a stressful and strict environment that wears thin over the years. The donors mostly were great and the work did feel very rewarding.Management and some of the up and coming "Champions"of the centre became extremely painful to work with!It's a good role for a few years but as a qualified nurse you lose a lot of skills in clinical practice. It's ok perhaps to finish out your career as an older nurse but it becomes very monotonous, unless you're a rising star who is power hungry to climb the corporate ladder, and in the meantime walk all over colleagues, and demean them in a bid to win favour with those higher up in management, which seemed to happen all the time. In the end it was just too toxic to deal with all the wannabes who were power hungry and spiteful.

Pros

Salary packaging.

Cons

Mean spirited people.

21 December 2020
Thanks for taking the time to leave this review, and I’m sorry to hear that what started as a positive experience with us went downhill recently. If you would like to provide further information, you can contact us in strict confidence at lifebloodcareers@redcrossblood.org.au. Aside from this, it’s great you felt rewarded by our life-saving work, and recognised our amazingly generous donors as a positive aspect during your time at Australian Red Cross Lifeblood.

The kpis will kill you

You are treated like a robot who cannot think for themselvesThe kpis are too highTelstra on steroids They pick on everything , u never do a good job

Pros

Good money

Cons

Shift work

21 December 2020
Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us, it’s much appreciated! If you feel comfortable sharing more specific information so that we can notify the right people and make improvements, please feel free to email us at lifebloodcareers@redcrossblood.org.au.

Horrible place to work, you have been warned

Where do I begin?Management are KPI driven and the bar is constantly being raised to unfair and un achievable targets. The management style is dictatorial and anyone who challenges the business model is pushed outManagement don’t listen and shut down any suggestions that don’t benefit the business, they lack any empathy and common sense.Rosters are inflexible and forget family friendly shifts.Staff performance measurement is highly unfair and basically you need to keep a record of what you do and what went wrong so you have an answer when asked to please explain.Training is way too quick, new starters are expected to be performing at top level 2 months after starting and if you are not performing at their level you won’t pass probation.Culture is basically if you don’t like it there’s the door (this was the exact words of an area manager)I could go on for ages but might run out of space.

Pros

Salary Packaging

Cons

KPI driven management, inflexible rosters, unfair expectations, horrible work culture

Bullying, pressure and toxic management

It is a toxic work place where bullying from management seems to be acceptable. Double standards and If you are pegged as someone management don’t like then you are better off leaving on your own terms as they will find a way to push you out anyway. No room for movement unless you are a favourite. Pushed to hit KPi’s never given positive reinforcement but constantly told about anything negative

Pros

Team members, donors

Excellent

It's good that you understand that this Organization is to .care for the sick and wounded in war,and calamities secure neutrality of Nurses,Hospital etc.

Work for an organisation that is the Lifeblood of the nation.

At Lifeblood, we’re here for all Australians and although our life-giving role started over 90 years ago with blood, today we support more people in more ways than ever before. We also help to facilitate the donation of tissue, organs, breast milk, and other life-giving biological products. Plus, we deliver world-class research and provide expertise in diagnostic, transplantation and other clinical services. Everyone at Lifeblood is united through the power of humanity to build a healthier nation.

Management needs to get their act together

Covert/overt bullying by managers. KPI driven and staff always pushed to do more even when staff is low because eg illness. Inflexibility in rosters and now 7 days per week. Late shifts difficult and apparently centre will be moving to finishing at 22:00 on ?one ?two days per week. Difficult to change shifts so work/life balance very difficult. Only good thing was the donors who on the most part were lovely people. Renumeration and and salary packaging very good.

A wide reaching humanitarian and medical organisation

The work done across the organisation is broad - deeply based in research and leading the way in medical advancement (in blood, organs, tissue, genetics and other areas). If you love to learn, be part of a bigger humanitarian organisation, the Red Cross Lifeblood is world-class.

Has the potential to be a fantastic place to work

The management culture is toxic and bullying in nature and due to being a National company sites are isolated and vulnerable to the poor management structure Whistle blowers are pushed out the door and policy is not adhered to or respected I was warned about the culture prior to starting and didn’t realise how bad it would be! All the good staff leave or are pushed out the door

Pros

Cons

Toxic culture in middle management

service

red cross save lives knowing i was part of a team that is giving some one other there in the world a second chance to live, for me that all the motivation i needed as a represented them on a door to door sales basic through a company that gave me the chance

Target focused

It is rewarding working for the Blood Service as you know you're helping to save lives, however it is very targets and numbers based. There is more focus why we didn't meet our blood target for the day, instead of looking at staffing and seeing that the centre was incredibly short staffed and run off their feet and couldn't collect to the target. There is no regard for staff, it is constantly short staffed and management continue to increase targets and don't understand why sick leave is so high and why a lot of people resign in their first year. Work/life balance can be really difficult as all centres are now open 7 days and it can be hard to get a roster in which you have 2 days off next to each other. You work evenings, early mornings and weekends. The people you work with are usually really lovely and helpful, but management are dreadful.

Pros

Excellent pay

Cons

upper management, stronger focus on targets rather than wellbeing of staff

great purpose for working, to help others in need.

Great team environment, really good job satisfaction helping people in need. Talking to the generous blood donors and organising times for them to come in and donate blood and blood products was really full filling.

Pros

great people

Cons

too many target changes over the last twelve months to keep a track of.

Bullying Culture from the top

Steer clear from working for this organisation. Unless you are willing to bully and harass your team and employees, you will be bullied and harassed yourself. The organisation could use a major shake-up. A few whistleblowers would take the whole thing down. Australia should be terrified that this organisation has such a hold over the blood supply, it's only a matter of time before more deaths occur because of the bad practices.

Pros

Recognised organisation; Decent coworkers

Cons

Bullying, overworked

Australian Red Cross Blood Service

The Australian Red Cross Blood Service is a division of the Australian Red Cross. It is funded by the federal, state and territory governments of Australia to supply the community with safe, high quality blood and blood products, as well as organ and bone marrow services for transplantation.

picked up donors from various buisneses in the CBD and Outer Suburbs

I started at various times of the day picking up groups of blood donors in the CBD and outer suburban areas of Melbourne and transporting them to the closest donor centres and using the skills I have learnt over the years to relax the new donors before they got to the donor centre. As I was out of the office most of the time I found the management were always inclusive in letting me know what was going on and making sure I was included in any after hours activities. The culture was great and I enjoyed every minute I worked there and was disappointed the shuttle Program was ending. As I was dealing with many various personalities and work place cultures it further enhanced my customer skills. I didn't find any part of the job hard although it was a challenge to find the best route around the various road works and traffic jams.The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and working with the other staff at the Blood Bank.

Pros

working with the team and the occasional night out

Cons

the money

Efficient and friendly workplace

- I learned many things at the blood service, what blood types there are, who can/cannot donate and why. - Management team are very friendly and try to make their crew as happy as possible in the work place - All staff are friendly and happy with one another - The hardest part of the job is making sure all donors are okay after donating - The most enjoyable part is seeing how happy donors are after donating and knowing that your job is a great cause.

Stressful on the donor floor every shift

Pressured every shift to meet key performance indicators. Monitored regarding performance of time to couch, how many assessments attended, % of successful venepuncture, % of successful collections, meeting targets for collection. No thanks for working under stress everyday. No cover for sick leave, or annual leave. Same amount of collections targeted with skeleton staff as full staff. Management constantly pushing for more collections in a quicker time frame, more collections = more plasma to CSL.

Pros

Working with lovely donors

Cons

Short staffed, constant pressure, to meet more and more collections, Little acknowledgment of working under pressure every day.

Great place to work. Had a great manager, team and colleagues. 100% job satisfaction

I enjoyed and loved my job. Had a great manager and leader, great leadership team as well, and more importantly, the work the Blood Service continues to do for the community - Saving Lives.

Pros

Great team spirit and belief in our organisation values, mission and vision.

Cons

Can't of any.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Australian Red Cross Lifeblood. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Australian Red Cross Lifeblood