Australian Red Cross Lifeblood
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Australian Red Cross Lifeblood Employee Reviews

Australia30 reviews
It's good that you understand that this Organization is to .care for the sick and wounded in war,and calamities secure neutrality of Nurses,Hospital etc.
It is a toxic work place where bullying from management seems to be acceptable. Double standards and If you are pegged as someone management don’t like then you are better off leaving on your own terms as they will find a way to push you out anyway. No room for movement unless you are a favourite.
Pushed to hit KPi’s never given positive reinforcement but constantly told about anything negative
Pros
Team members, donors
Cons
At Lifeblood, we’re here for all Australians and although our life-giving role started over 90 years ago with blood, today we support more people in more ways than ever before.

We also help to facilitate the donation of tissue, organs, breast milk, and other life-giving biological products. Plus, we deliver world-class research and provide expertise in diagnostic, transplantation and other clinical services. Everyone at Lifeblood is united through the power of humanity to build a healthier nation.
Covert/overt bullying by managers. KPI driven and staff always pushed to do more even when staff is low because eg illness. Inflexibility in rosters and now 7 days per week. Late shifts difficult and apparently centre will be moving to finishing at 22:00 on ?one ?two days per week. Difficult to change shifts so work/life balance very difficult.
Only good thing was the donors who on the most part were lovely people. Renumeration and and salary packaging very good.
The work done across the organisation is broad - deeply based in research and leading the way in medical advancement (in blood, organs, tissue, genetics and other areas). If you love to learn, be part of a bigger humanitarian organisation, the Red Cross Lifeblood is world-class.
Great work /life balace and working environment. Lots of room for advancement and growth. Great pay and fun place to work while helping to make a difference and save lives.
The management culture is toxic and bullying in nature and due to being a National company sites are isolated and vulnerable to the poor management structure
Whistle blowers are pushed out the door and policy is not adhered to or respected

I was warned about the culture prior to starting and didn’t realise how bad it would be! All the good staff leave or are pushed out the door
Pros
Cons
Toxic culture in middle management
red cross save lives knowing i was part of a team that is giving some one other there in the world a second chance to live, for me that all the motivation i needed as a represented them on a door to door sales basic through a company that gave me the chance
It is rewarding working for the Blood Service as you know you're helping to save lives, however it is very targets and numbers based. There is more focus why we didn't meet our blood target for the day, instead of looking at staffing and seeing that the centre was incredibly short staffed and run off their feet and couldn't collect to the target. There is no regard for staff, it is constantly short staffed and management continue to increase targets and don't understand why sick leave is so high and why a lot of people resign in their first year.
Work/life balance can be really difficult as all centres are now open 7 days and it can be hard to get a roster in which you have 2 days off next to each other. You work evenings, early mornings and weekends.

The people you work with are usually really lovely and helpful, but management are dreadful.
Pros
Excellent pay
Cons
upper management, stronger focus on targets rather than wellbeing of staff
Great team environment, really good job satisfaction helping people in need. Talking to the generous blood donors and organising times for them to come in and donate blood and blood products was really full filling.
Pros
great people
Cons
too many target changes over the last twelve months to keep a track of.
Steer clear from working for this organisation. Unless you are willing to bully and harass your team and employees, you will be bullied and harassed yourself.
The organisation could use a major shake-up. A few whistleblowers would take the whole thing down.

Australia should be terrified that this organisation has such a hold over the blood supply, it's only a matter of time before more deaths occur because of the bad practices.
Pros
Recognised organisation; Decent coworkers
Cons
Bullying, overworked
The Australian Red Cross Blood Service is a division of the Australian Red Cross. It is funded by the federal, state and territory governments of Australia to supply the community with safe, high quality blood and blood products, as well as organ and bone marrow services for transplantation.
I started at various times of the day picking up groups of blood donors in the CBD and outer suburban areas of Melbourne and transporting them to the closest donor centres and using the skills I have learnt over the years to relax the new donors before they got to the donor centre. As I was out of the office most of the time I found the management were always inclusive in letting me know what was going on and making sure I was included in any after hours activities. The culture was great and I enjoyed every minute I worked there and was disappointed the shuttle Program was ending. As I was dealing with many various personalities and work place cultures it further enhanced my customer skills. I didn't find any part of the job hard although it was a challenge to find the best route around the various road works and traffic jams.The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and working with the other staff at the Blood Bank.
Pros
working with the team and the occasional night out
Cons
the money
- I learned many things at the blood service, what blood types there are, who can/cannot donate and why.
- Management team are very friendly and try to make their crew as happy as possible in the work place

- All staff are friendly and happy with one another

- The hardest part of the job is making sure all donors are okay after donating

- The most enjoyable part is seeing how happy donors are after donating and knowing that your job is a great cause.
Pressured every shift to meet key performance indicators. Monitored regarding performance of time to couch, how many assessments attended, % of successful venepuncture, % of successful collections, meeting targets for collection.
No thanks for working under stress everyday. No cover for sick leave, or annual leave. Same amount of collections targeted with skeleton staff as full staff. Management constantly pushing for more collections in a quicker time frame, more collections = more plasma to CSL.
Pros
Working with lovely donors
Cons
Short staffed, constant pressure, to meet more and more collections, Little acknowledgment of working under pressure every day.
I enjoyed and loved my job. Had a great manager and leader, great leadership team as well, and more importantly, the work the Blood Service continues to do for the community - Saving Lives.
Pros
Great team spirit and belief in our organisation values, mission and vision.
Cons
Can't of any.
Structual changes to company that do not accomodate staff needs or concerns are common place. Non transparent nature of proceedings also contributes to the creation of poor staff culture and job satisfaction.
Aust Red Cross Blood Service provides employees great opportunities and training to advance your career and skills.

Great organisation to work for providing a life saving product to the community.
Pros
Training opportunities
Cons
Red Cross blood service is a rewarding place to work, knowing you are helping save lives everyday. regular donors may come every 2 weeks, they become part of your working family.
Pros
Saving lives
Cons
Hours of work
great work environment. poor management.
i enjoyed working at the blood bank in Liverpool, but work life balance is shocking, as well as career development i couldn't balance uni and working there, so i had to leave.
Pros
great pay
Cons
poorly managed donor centre
A typical day was keeping donors not waiting. Ensuring no wait times in the interview process as well as the donating process.
I learnt so much about haematology the uses also the blood groups. Understanding the process of donating and controlling adverse outcomes. As well as learning plasma and platelet donating process.

Not always having enough staff eg.sick leave, holidays. It was difficult to leave a great work environment but I felt professionally I wanted to do more
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Australian Red Cross Lifeblood. Our community is ready to answer.
Australian Red Cross Lifeblood Reviews by Location