Australian Taxation Office

Australian Taxation Office Employee Reviews

Australia212 reviews

3.8Work–Life Balance

Good opportunities (long term)

*Get a start where you can *Seek feedback when applying for other roles*Collaboration is key *Be helpful & kind *Ensure your work is prioritised*Follow directions:policies, procedures, scripts, office minutes *'As discussed' emails can be worth their weight in gold.

Pros

Purposeful work, Flex-time, Wfh, Modern offices & equipment..

Cons

Job applications onerous, Pay rises infrequent & not backdated, No free parking, Some hot-desking offices.

Australia

My experience teachers or computer basic or parlour or nature Good or skill Good Or or Good social skill Or Good foodOr Good culture Good food facilities

Australian Taxation Office insights

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Productive and great place to work.

I would recommend others to work for ATO. I would share my experience and talk about how great the team work and culture is when working for them and the pays great 👍🏿.

Pros

Rotational leaders are great!

Cons

Working with two monitors can be very stressful on the eyes. It will take some time to get use to.

Hardest part of job

Your job is absorbing, challenging and complex. The hardest part of your job will be remembering to take breaks and to set your alarm to go home when it goes off.

Pros

Flexi time, time off over christmas, absorbing and deeply interesting work

Cons

Hot desking, parking, public transport.

Overall not a great place to work at

Overall not a nice place to work at. The place is run by people who don’t have enough experience to be working in those positions, the work environment is quite toxic, not enough training for what we’re required to do. All over the place working hours.

Pros

Benefits, free food days.

Cons

Not consistent roster

Never recommend this workplace

I have worked in ATO over a year. This workplace is full of toxic people, the team leaders will think they are the best and they are on top of you. You will get bullied all the time.My advice is if you don't want to be in depression don't work at this place

Stressful dealing with abusive clients, but rewarded with an extremely relaxed and comfortable atmosphere.

Working at the ATO you are automatically despised by 90% of the clients you need to talk to, as you're auditing their tax returns, collecting debt, and generally giving them bad news. As a result, you're treated like dirt day in and day out by the public and it really starts to wear you down.It can also be frustrating that there's so much government red tape and bureaucracy that things move very slowly, in terms of productivity, technology and innovation, and also with career advancement.However, on the plus side, the leadership and people you work with are fantastic and you develop a real sense of belonging and comfortable security in the organisation.The pay is a fair bit lower than comparable roles in the private sector, however you do get more benefits such as study leave and grants, purchased leave, flexible work arrangements, paid expenses, and lots more.The biggest drawback is that with the high security and strict adherence to doing everything by the book, they are very unforgiving if you make mistakes. One bad day or slip up could see you lose your job without any room for compassion or understanding of the circumstances. You also can get a bit isolated from how the real world lives and works because they have their own special processes and procedures to make sure no one from outside can access any important information.The organisation can be stuffy and neurotic, but if you don't rock the boat you could find yourself in a workplace where you don't even need to try and you're generally taken care of with a positive atmosphere in a nice kind of bubble.

Pros

Entitlements, culture, people, atmosphere, leadership, work-life-balance.

Cons

Unproductive, wasteful, inefficient, bureaucratic, slow to no career advancement, intensely paranoid security measures and unforgiving of mistakes, low tolerance of error but too much tolerance for underperforming.

Great work life balance

This is the best place I have worked so far and here it’s all about great work life balance. My Current Team manager and upper management is very helpful. They support a lot for further study and career progression. Only thing is your luck when you are in the merit pool and do not get picked

Pros

Great work life balance

Cons

Rostered environment

Ato is inefficiently run and devoid of ethics

ATO uses redundant software for its work that makes small tasks labour intensive. When I arrived I found a flaw in one of its practises and approached management with a solution. They accepted my proposal which was relatively easy to fix and would halve the workload. However, in the 18 months that I was there, despite my applying reminders about the change which other states had adopted, the change never happened. When I queried this I was told repeatedly that the ATO is resistant to change.

Pros

Some of the people

Cons

Inefficient labour intensive workplace.

Fun place andinterestingplace to work

I worked there for 3 years I enjoyed my experience there really nice staff and helpful also.Lovely office. Would of liked to be a permanent position. Did courses online so there was training although being a contractor through an agency to have performance reviews was stressful. I was a Switchboard Operator and enjoyed working in a call centre environment had to answer a high volume of calls spoke to some interesting people.

Pros

Morning teas once a nonth

Cons

Long hours having t o work 12-8

Not very great

Competitive environment, nepotism is rife within the agency. Unable to progress unless you are great friends with a supervisor or anyone higher than that.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Long hours bad management

Team Excellence

Various job officers with great team bonding to assist one another and forward thinking outlookGreat job in Workplace Services OfficerPeople person liaising with contractors staff and managers professionally.

Not a good place to work

If you love following meaningless direction that requires you abandon common sense and that is presented in what barely passes as English by managers who got promoted due to their ethnicity rather than capabilities, then this is the role for you. You may be left scratching your head trying to work out job expectations after being inducted and provided with the icare acronym, however you shouldn't be concerned, as the higher your position is, the less anyone is expected to act according to the values and ideals the acronym represents. Expect to be told to: "Do as I say now I'm in a position higher than you, not as I did, when I was in your position."

Pros

Job security. You don't need any skills. Rewarded for doing what you are told, without thinking or considering outcomes

Cons

Poor succession planning and incompetent leadership selection. Rampant politics & favoritism.

Awful workplace culture and unreasonable overtime expectations

The opportunity offered a lot of learning yet lacked any workplace culture. Most of the team are unhelpful and unwilling to compromise. The expectations from management regarding overtime are extreme and I wouldn’t recommend ever working for the Australian Taxation Office. Whether it be direct employment with them or through a Business providing services to the ATO.

Pros

Knowledge of taxation system

Cons

Lack of development, extreme overtime, terrible workplace culture

Wouldn't Recommend

Working at ATO is soul destroying.When I applied for a Service Delivery role, the job advertisement never mentioned being a call center job.Was put into the role with a misleading job title and got next to no training but pushed into the deep end. Training is appalling, expected to know advanced technical tax rules and legislation with next to no training.

Variety

On the whole a good place to work. Limited career progression once you reach certain levels. Well remunerated, particularly superannuation at 15.4% which is attractive.

Pros

Flexibility and variety.

Cons

Career progression.

S h I t company to work for

bosses won't to know everything about you especially if you have an illness - then they share with other bosses - You boss can change on a yearly basis

Not too bad

GREAT TO REPRESENT. GREAT CULTURAL VALUES. 5/5. Low pay for INTENSE WORKLOAD. THE WORK WILL affect your health in all aspects – VERY HIGH CLIENT ABUSE. Poor management; not engaged with the reality of the stress related to the job vs the extremely low salary. Management did not care that agents were making mistakes on people’s tax accounts. Tasks like payment plan negotiations and delegating remissions - if I should grant / approve are very important to get right for all customers. The workplace culture is bad due to the constant complaints, and people are in a bad mood a lot. Unrealistic KPI’s, extremely low salary for the workload. KPI's, micro managed, care about the dollar, not the service. Stressful targets impossible to maintain, extremely low pay for high stress. Management are horrific, they pay painfully low for the stress you go through daily as you get abused daily from customers with no support and Management watch you constantly for any tiny reason to punish you and not pay the pitiful incentive. No value of the government contract they are lucky to have. Stressful targets impossible to maintain. Low wages, HIGH pressure.

Pros

Great team mates

Cons

Stressful KPi's need higher pay

Great culture and very supportive team leader

Would recommend working at the ATO for the experience within a call centre. Really enjoy the team spirit and work ethic of the department. Training is intense but trainers make it enjoyable.

Pros

Fun place to work

Cons

Casual and not guaranteed hours

Call Centre Casual

Answering phone calls for the ATO. Assisting taxpayers with their inquiries. Roster hours - Loved working with taxpayers. Manager treated casual badly.

Cons

They treat casuals like they are nothing. If the manager likes you, you get hours. If not, you get nothing. I got a contract to Nov 2021, but havent had any work - ZERO since July 2020 . The manager ignores my emails.

Easy to join Australian native work in life style.

There is few work pattern in casual, full time, part time and contract. In casual, there are different assigns during the day to start with minimum 3 hours for everyone to join in. Depend to workload, work hours will varies and promoting align with centrelink payment and work culture. Management always train staff for learning and development and I have learned all the course of service delivery and debt management of SMART and return of tax file client. I have legal rights and affidavies is hardest part of the decision making and I am selfless of my own and I enjoy multiculture .

Pros

I work at night time and 4 hours with no lunch

Cons

I have long hours in one saturday so I most earned of it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Australian Taxation Office. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Australian Taxation Office with