Australian Taxation Office
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Australian Taxation Office Employee Reviews

Australia187 reviews
I feel more should be offered in the training program. It was very fast paced without time to really absorb the information before moving on to the next level of training
Pros
Free fruit, Interesting staff promotions
Cons
Serious KPI attainments
I joined in 2012 with the Brisbane Office. Worked on a number of interesting projects. At all times I was engaged and challenged. There is no room for time wasters and poor attitude at this organisation. Work is professional and delivered on time and within budget. I found people there extremely honest and very trusting people. After 2 years in the Brisbane Office I joined the Adelaide Office. Once again the same culture and loved it.
Pros
Great culture. Great pay. Great work. Great people.
Cons
I could not fault it.
I worked at the ato for over 5 years in service delivery.

If you want to work in an environment that truly embodies the issues of cronyism, nepotism and unchecked corporate sociopathy, this is the place for you. If you want to succeed all you need is superficial charm, a lack of fear of pink eye (because your nose will have to be lodged in many places) and the willingness to befriend other sociopaths whilst not being truly talented enough to be an actual threat to their false self image as capable and worthwhile employees or humans. Don't forget that in order to maintain a safe environment for the sociopath to survive you have to bribe and curry favor with the incompetent HR department who will be essential to backing up your many lies and false accusations against any employee who either outshines others in productivity and skill and/or isn't clearly happy to get paid and keep their mouth shut when witnessing the disgusting bullying and harassment that you instigate and/support the other employees from engaging in.

Do not work here if your character is genuinely good and your IQ is above even 90, you will never get that time back.
Pros
Good pay, nice office, flex time life balance (in theory), serving the people of australia
Cons
Toxic culture, routine and unchallenging work if you actually like to think, work life balance is dependent on your team leaders agendas/feelings towards you
Friendly permanent staff. Training was excellent and was ongoing for the term of my contract. Very inclusive in every aspect of work life. Very understanding of personal life. Office and amenities were very clean.
Just started training for Customer Service and left after one week.
Trainer trying to run at 200 km speed. the whole batch is stressed and are struggling to understand.

After repeatedly asking to slow down, they do not understand.

If ATO wants to train employees, train correctly, not cram the whole training in 10 days and expect the new employees to master what they have learnt.

They should access the trainers based on the performance of the new recruit
Conducting field and office reviews and investigation of taxpayer compliance through careful analysis third party interviews together with investigation of business records, and client interviews/profiling to obtain an accurate assessment of the business and the taxpayer.
I learned a great deal about interpretation of business types and the many various ways of attempts to conceal and disguise true business operation. Also, when to give credit where due for genuine business operators who may have experienced business problems such as poor structure and lack of effective business planning.
it was good however they force you to do debt collection which was not what the original job interview was done for. job movement withing the organisation was very poor and not followed to the best interest of the candidate
This organisation offers a great range of opportunity and diversity.
As I have held various roles within a casual capacity I cannot identify what my 'typical' day consisted of. mainly computer work/data entry. Adhering to the ATO policies and procedures at all times.
Loved the work environment and business culture. Loved every aspect of the job. Dealt with many complaints on a daily, but always ended it in a good conversation.
Great to be part of an organisation that allows you to have more than one career. Flexibility across sections means you can test your skills in various roles. Work/life balance is attainable.
The manager and all my colleagues were energetic and cooperative to design and deploy the site in a timely manner. The overall experience was excellent.
Australian tax office needs to change the way they deliver product knowledge (About tax laws and their internal work management system) to their employees.
It was challenging for me when i have first started and there was not much help around gain knowledge about their internal software systems and advance tax laws. We always have to refer in to online documentations.

I believe this is some where they can improve and eventually it will increase productivity.
Training on the use of Manuals leaves a lot to be desired and the manuals and procedures constantly changing, spent a lot of time reading and noting changes to debt protocols.
Computer operated off several different types of software so it was like playing snakes and ladders.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No job security
Federal Government. Secure Employment. Good Standard benefits. Good training provided. Work Hard. Ensure you have good communication skills. Be friendly.
Politics and tree climbers with their own agenda spoilt my last work year and robbed me of the farewell that I deserved

Very little opportunity for advancement

I loved my job and was extremely good at it until a manager on HD eroded my confidence and challenged my decision making
Pros
Was good for 18 years
Cons
Age descrimination is rife
Stupidity and workplace bullying are alive and well in the ATO. I was pushed to breaking point and took my concerns to the Fair Work Commission. I won my case.
Pros
Days off
Cons
Management and workplace bullying
It's such a good opportunity to work as a Tax Help Volunteer, get plenty of experience from working with clients from diverse backgrounds, plus get trained if needed.
The people here are all about helping you succeed in what you do. If you ever need help the team leaders and supervisors will do their best to assist. Very supportive with everything including personal situations that may impact your ability to perform up to standard.
I would not recommend anyone to work here. The work environment was very toxin. I was working with bunch of people who were friends and played favouritism. Even they could not do their job - they found someone to blame for their shortcomings. HR staff are so dysfunctional. They know nothing and would not help.
Pros
Cons
Toxin work environment
i have more than 4years experience, solid understanding the process and culture of the organisation. Also, it has a good management approach to discuss the issues.
Pros
working with busy environment
I enjoyed my time with the Australian Taxation office, it gave me the opportunity to have a good home/work life balance whilst raising my children and I made some life long friends that I will treasure.
Pros
Flexible working conditions
Cons
Job applications for promotions
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Australian Taxation Office. Our community is ready to answer.