Australian Taxation Office Employee Reviews

Very efficient and productive manegment
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC5 July 2018
At the ATO we are required to always follow protocol when dealing with a client.
We are to establish their identity using the ATO identification tools and steps.
They require you to always be respectful, patient and understanding when dealing with enquiries.
I have completed business training and have joined the ATO business team and have undertook new dealings revolving around businesses, superfunds and charities.
The workplace is very well managed and very efficient which keeps you motivated to always do better.
Pros
Great experience and knowledge.
Cons
Very low salary.
duties can be tedious however the camaraderie is excellent
Complaints Officer (Former Employee) –  Moonee Ponds25 June 2018
Liaising with clients who believe that they have a grievance with the ATO.
Investigating the clients situation and then providing appropriate procedures to correct the situation
Pros
good, leave, flex time, good super
Cons
A lot of procedures and processes
Not what it was.
Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD4 June 2018
There used to be a real 'team' culture in the ATO - co-operative and collegiate and mutually supportive. That steadily declined since the late 1980's. The idea of the organisation fostering a culture of co-operation and mutual trust within the Australian community seems to have been abandoned. As that shift has occurred, so to has the relationship between senior management and front-line staff deteriorated.
Pros
Some of the staff, who still believe in fairness and justice in spite of departmental policy.
Cons
Lack of management support or meaningful consultation.
Undesirable
Full Time / Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  North Ryde NSW29 May 2018
Working in a stressful environment the management skills displayed from my employers are inadequate as they do not take into account the actual business so much as its requirements.
Enjoyable and Challenging place to work
Casual Service Delivery Officer & Business (Former Employee) –  Perth WA24 May 2018
I found ATO a great place to work, enjoy and non-stressing. Team leaders are helpful and I learnt numerous new things as returning back into workforce after 6 years so everyone was helpful, kind and supportive. Management was great and kept everyone informed about any Legistation changes or natural disaster crisis. I like that I was able to wear my Indian clothing without racism fear or negative feelings fro co-workers. tHE MOST ENJOYABLE PART was seasonal events, fancy dress party and games offered by ATO Social Club
Pros
ATO Social Club and Help line available for CC staff query and help
Service desk enquiries
Full time work (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT10 May 2018
I would do a Service desk shift and handle enquiries from ATO employees. After a 2.5 hour shift I would return to my desk and handle for work requests. This would include giving out moving crates and new chairs. I would also issue keys and cab charge tickets. I enjoyed working with my fellow ATO employees and helping them with their enquiries and requests.
Pros
Variety
Friendly yet productive
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Box Hill VIC, Cheltenham VIC10 May 2018
The work involved taking inbound calls from business operators and tax agents/accountants in relation to reporting obligations and errors that had occurred in lodgements received. Outbound calls were also required to clarify and explain errors, and to assist in lodgement.
Pros
Good level of training provided.
Cons
Fluctuation in workload
An interesting place to work at
Client Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Newcastle NSW19 March 2018
I found the extensive training I received upon commencing my employment at the Australian Taxation Office useful at the time and it helped me with my university studies.
Pros
The initial training courses
Cons
Workplace harassment by some co-workers
Great Place to work!
Operations and Solutions Officer (Former Employee) –  Moonee Ponds VIC18 March 2018
Would definitely love to come back to the ATO, once there is position's available. It is unfortunate that there is hiring freeze at the moment.

Want a secure job, this is the place to be.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
No permanent positions
volunteer work only
Taxation Consultant (Former Employee) –  Sydney Western Suburbs NSW13 March 2018
good work, it was mostly client based volunteer work only. Started doing tax returns for the clients and make them understand of what was required and why was it necessary to do a tax return.
Customer Service Officer
Customer Service Officer (APS3) (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA4 March 2018
Communicated effectively with a wide range of people using different media (e.g. face-to-face, telephone, written).
Assessed customers’ needs and broker solutions with them, considering their requirements and the outcomes sought by government and client agencies.
Acted upon a customer’s enquiry, recorded action undertaken and finalised all transactions in a timely, courteous and professional manner.
Developed partnerships with fellow team members, co-workers and, where applicable, the wider community to ensure customers were provided with a holistic approach to their circumstances.
Provided a quality customer service in accordance with the department’s internal and external customer charters and displayed business acumen by safeguarding our reputation as a quality service provider.
Educated customers regarding the compliance aspects of their payments.
Undertook keyboard and data entry tasks efficiently using the departments computer systems.
Managed own workload using the departments tools.
Pros
Time Management
Cons
Study needed
policy driven
Customer Service Consultant - busniess (Former Employee) –  Homebush NSW22 February 2018
great team
strong structure
public servant to the fullest
government job
casual position but almost two years of solid weekly shifts
excellent management
Great work culture, learned alot, great staff and management.
Newcastle - Tax Practitioner Lodgment Program (Former Employee) –  Newcastle NSW29 January 2018
Loved the work, leaning new computer systems, new work procedures, had to demonstrate flexibility as work kept changing. Most enjoyable part was the team members I worked with. Miss them.
Pros
Great hours, great pay
Cons
No cons
Equal opportunity employer with good working conditions.
Administrative Services Officer Grade 2/3 (Former Employee) –  Perth WA24 January 2018
It has been a very long time since I worked in this job. It would be unrealistic for me to express my views beyond very broad generalisations about my experience working there
Pros
Flexible start, finish and lunch times.
Cons
A job with negative connotations which is hard to spin in a positive light.
Growth opportunities, Good Staff Ware
Accounts Officer - APS3 (Current Employee) –  Docklands VIC24 January 2018
Excellent Management
Staff from diverse background
More work Opportunities
I enjoy work flexibility with work arrangement,
Good work Culture
Staff looked after well
Pros
Flexible Hours
alwasy something to do
Service delivery officer APS1 (Current Employee) –  Paramatta NSW24 January 2018
processing forms , entering sensitive information
updating clients accounts. client contact with tax agents and clients.
preparing letters and making outbound calls.
Pros
sufficent breakl
Cons
shift times alwasy changing
Productive and fun place to work with Table tennis and Pool table.
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Perth Central Business District WA11 January 2018
Can be quite strenuous at time
Multiple skills
Can be supportive
Workplace culture is practise as part of policy and procedures.
Customer getting upset due to Government enforced policy and procedure guidelines.
Assisting clients and they appreciating by thanking you at the end.
Seasonality of the casual roles
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  North Ryde NSW30 December 2017
The workplace is built upon a friendly team environment where everyone collaborates over different issues they may currently be facing, Work roster is flexible with notice.
When it came to casual or not permanent positions job conditions are not impressive
Client Accounts Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC29 December 2017
Less of pros and lots of cons. Employees wellbeing has not considered for casual or temporary positions, no advancements, limited training opportunities, staff skills and qualifications not applying or relevant to work types done. Not many qualified people occupied for many positions.
Pros
No free lunches or teas. Only hot water provided free of charge.
Cons
Cannot tell
working at the ATO
Taxation Officer APS Level 2 (Former Employee) –  Perth WA29 December 2017
Proper training was provided along with on-going support/ training, clean and organised office environment, friendly staff, fun and professional working environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Australian Taxation Office. Our community is ready to answer.