Australian Taxation Office Employee Reviews

Customer Service Representative
Customer Service Representative (Call Centre) (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD3 October 2018
Answer phone calls about debt and business. This includes set up payment arrangements, remit interest, penalties and create deferrals. Issue BAS and quote tax law.
Pros
Professional environment and ATO benefits
Cons
Keeping up with change in work formats.
Work life balance is good. Management and work culture is quite poor. Glass ceiling is there for women and people from different cultural backgrounds.
Business/Economic Analyst (Former Employee) –  Brisbane Office12 September 2018
A typical day starts with reviewing the cases on hand. Staff were required to have at least 10 active cases on hand and sometimes when all cases have deadlines, it can be hard to manage.

Then you go to internal with other audit teams or to external meetings with taxpayers. You also spend time researching or writing your reports. Each case is different, I learned a great deal about how companies operates, how to analyse the financial reports, how their business grow and what are the likely areas of problems.

Managers are more concerned about achieving the revenue target rather than listening and considering the sustainability of the work load.

Rewards/advancements were usually made based on who you know and how well you talk rather than on actual work done.

Inappropriate focuses made on how a report is presented rather than whether you have solved the problems.
Pros
Job security is relatively good. No need to work overtime if you don't want to.
Cons
Work culture is poor and office politics is distressing
Productive, stats driven workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Dandenong VIC10 September 2018
A typical day at the ATO consists of:
- Processing Income Tax Returns for all types of entities.
- Receiving Inbound Phone calls and making outbound calls.
- Working within a team, collaborate ideas and create change.
- Much More
Encouraging
Technical Helpdesk Support Consultant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC2 September 2018
Office site was bit stressful and workplace culture was bit judgemental hardest part of the role was supervisors not being supportive and also limited
How the work life balance
Client Service Administrator (Current Employee) –  Australia16 August 2018
I am very happy with satisfaction with the work that provides excellent work life balance.
Working conditions are excellent
Supervisor is very understanding
Satisfied with their salary
Pros
Flexible hours of work
Cons
Promotions limited
Great
Data/Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Dandenong VIC22 July 2018
A place you call a home from home
Great pay
Great people
Great working condition
One of the best among Commonwealth offices
A community oriented workplace
Need to use my skill and experience
APS 4 level officer (Former Employee) –  Perth WA22 July 2018
In accordance with my skill and experience, need to use it for better job and keep myself active. Need to help organisation and my job satisfaction is the main goal.
Exeptional Employer
HR Officer (Former Employee) –  Upper Mount Gravatt QLD10 July 2018
Working with the ATO, is a valuable opportunity for career advancement, where staff is respected, motivated, and always provided with development tools and programs.
Pros
Respect, motivation, development, exceptional management
Cons
instability due to fixed term contract
Very efficient and productive manegment
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC5 July 2018
At the ATO we are required to always follow protocol when dealing with a client.
We are to establish their identity using the ATO identification tools and steps.
They require you to always be respectful, patient and understanding when dealing with enquiries.
I have completed business training and have joined the ATO business team and have undertook new dealings revolving around businesses, superfunds and charities.
The workplace is very well managed and very efficient which keeps you motivated to always do better.
Pros
Great experience and knowledge.
Cons
Very low salary.
duties can be tedious however the camaraderie is excellent
Complaints Officer (Former Employee) –  Moonee Ponds25 June 2018
Liaising with clients who believe that they have a grievance with the ATO.
Investigating the clients situation and then providing appropriate procedures to correct the situation
Pros
good, leave, flex time, good super
Cons
A lot of procedures and processes
Not what it was.
Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD4 June 2018
There used to be a real 'team' culture in the ATO - co-operative and collegiate and mutually supportive. That steadily declined since the late 1980's. The idea of the organisation fostering a culture of co-operation and mutual trust within the Australian community seems to have been abandoned. As that shift has occurred, so to has the relationship between senior management and front-line staff deteriorated.
Pros
Some of the staff, who still believe in fairness and justice in spite of departmental policy.
Cons
Lack of management support or meaningful consultation.
Undesirable
Full Time / Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  North Ryde NSW29 May 2018
Working in a stressful environment the management skills displayed from my employers are inadequate as they do not take into account the actual business so much as its requirements.
Enjoyable and Challenging place to work
Casual Service Delivery Officer & Business (Former Employee) –  Perth WA24 May 2018
I found ATO a great place to work, enjoy and non-stressing. Team leaders are helpful and I learnt numerous new things as returning back into workforce after 6 years so everyone was helpful, kind and supportive. Management was great and kept everyone informed about any Legistation changes or natural disaster crisis. I like that I was able to wear my Indian clothing without racism fear or negative feelings fro co-workers. tHE MOST ENJOYABLE PART was seasonal events, fancy dress party and games offered by ATO Social Club
Pros
ATO Social Club and Help line available for CC staff query and help
Service desk enquiries
Full time work (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT10 May 2018
I would do a Service desk shift and handle enquiries from ATO employees. After a 2.5 hour shift I would return to my desk and handle for work requests. This would include giving out moving crates and new chairs. I would also issue keys and cab charge tickets. I enjoyed working with my fellow ATO employees and helping them with their enquiries and requests.
Pros
Variety
Friendly yet productive
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Box Hill VIC, Cheltenham VIC10 May 2018
The work involved taking inbound calls from business operators and tax agents/accountants in relation to reporting obligations and errors that had occurred in lodgements received. Outbound calls were also required to clarify and explain errors, and to assist in lodgement.
Pros
Good level of training provided.
Cons
Fluctuation in workload
An interesting place to work at
Client Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Newcastle NSW19 March 2018
I found the extensive training I received upon commencing my employment at the Australian Taxation Office useful at the time and it helped me with my university studies.
Pros
The initial training courses
Cons
Workplace harassment by some co-workers
Great Place to work!
Operations and Solutions Officer (Former Employee) –  Moonee Ponds VIC18 March 2018
Would definitely love to come back to the ATO, once there is position's available. It is unfortunate that there is hiring freeze at the moment.

Want a secure job, this is the place to be.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
No permanent positions
volunteer work only
Taxation Consultant (Former Employee) –  Sydney Western Suburbs NSW13 March 2018
good work, it was mostly client based volunteer work only. Started doing tax returns for the clients and make them understand of what was required and why was it necessary to do a tax return.
Customer Service Officer
Customer Service Officer (APS3) (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA4 March 2018
Communicated effectively with a wide range of people using different media (e.g. face-to-face, telephone, written).
Assessed customers’ needs and broker solutions with them, considering their requirements and the outcomes sought by government and client agencies.
Acted upon a customer’s enquiry, recorded action undertaken and finalised all transactions in a timely, courteous and professional manner.
Developed partnerships with fellow team members, co-workers and, where applicable, the wider community to ensure customers were provided with a holistic approach to their circumstances.
Provided a quality customer service in accordance with the department’s internal and external customer charters and displayed business acumen by safeguarding our reputation as a quality service provider.
Educated customers regarding the compliance aspects of their payments.
Undertook keyboard and data entry tasks efficiently using the departments computer systems.
Managed own workload using the departments tools.
Pros
Time Management
Cons
Study needed
policy driven
Customer Service Consultant - busniess (Former Employee) –  Homebush NSW22 February 2018
great team
strong structure
public servant to the fullest
government job
casual position but almost two years of solid weekly shifts
excellent management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Australian Taxation Office. Our community is ready to answer.