Australian Taxation Office
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Australian Taxation Office Employee Reviews

Would recommend working at the ATO for the experience within a call centre. Really enjoy the team spirit and work ethic of the department. Training is intense but trainers make it enjoyable.
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
Casual and not guaranteed hours
Answering phone calls for the ATO. Assisting taxpayers with their inquiries. Roster hours - Loved working with taxpayers. Manager treated casual badly.
Cons
They treat casuals like they are nothing. If the manager likes you, you get hours. If not, you get nothing. I got a contract to Nov 2021, but havent had any work - ZERO since July 2020 . The manager ignores my emails.
There is few work pattern in casual, full time, part time and contract. In casual, there are different assigns during the day to start with minimum 3 hours for everyone to join in. Depend to workload, work hours will varies and promoting align with centrelink payment and work culture. Management always train staff for learning and development and I have learned all the course of service delivery and debt management of SMART and return of tax file client. I have legal rights and affidavies is hardest part of the decision making and I am selfless of my own and I enjoy multiculture .
Pros
I work at night time and 4 hours with no lunch
Cons
I have long hours in one saturday so I most earned of it.
It was bad timing I started during COVID and people were working from home but staff and managers were always happy to help and assist me. Team members have great work ethics.
Pros
Nice workplace culture
Cons
There are no cons in my mind
There is no bias in selecting jobseekers and a very fair workplace.A fair wage is paid for the appropriate work type with the opportunities available to improve oppositions and pay. Management listens to provide the optimum conditions for a productive environment. Everyone is treated equally.
Pros
Beautiful working environment and lots of support.
Cons
Full time work is only available occasionally
I worked in Debt Collection on the phones.People were very slack were as I thought, well I am getting paid much better then the dole, so put in. Bad move, Management told me to slow down and stop using my initiative, which is why they hired me, as I had run my own business. Any, I found it to be a hostile workplace if you didn't fit into any clique there, which I didn't. Ended up off the phones and stuffing envelops with Further Action Letters. After 3 months and no end, I resigned to keep my sanity.
Pros
Good Super and Extra Week Leave at Xmas
Cons
Staff, very Clique and hard to break into if you are an individual.
senior management need to RESPECT staff and not kick them when they are DOWN after all some of them gained their jobs through political connections. Will do anything to climb ladder
I joined in 2012 with the Brisbane Office. Worked on a number of interesting projects. At all times I was engaged and challenged. There is no room for time wasters and poor attitude at this organisation. Work is professional and delivered on time and within budget. I found people there extremely honest and very trusting people. After 2 years in the Brisbane Office I joined the Adelaide Office. Once again the same culture and loved it.
Pros
Great culture. Great pay. Great work. Great people.
Cons
I could not fault it.
I feel more should be offered in the training program. It was very fast paced without time to really absorb the information before moving on to the next level of training
Pros
Free fruit, Interesting staff promotions
Cons
Serious KPI attainments
I worked at the ato for over 5 years in service delivery. If you want to work in an environment that truly embodies the issues of cronyism, nepotism and unchecked corporate sociopathy, this is the place for you. If you want to succeed all you need is superficial charm, a lack of fear of pink eye (because your nose will have to be lodged in many places) and the willingness to befriend other sociopaths whilst not being truly talented enough to be an actual threat to their false self image as capable and worthwhile employees or humans. Don't forget that in order to maintain a safe environment for the sociopath to survive you have to bribe and curry favor with the incompetent HR department who will be essential to backing up your many lies and false accusations against any employee who either outshines others in productivity and skill and/or isn't clearly happy to get paid and keep their mouth shut when witnessing the disgusting bullying and harassment that you instigate and/support the other employees from engaging in. Do not work here if your character is genuinely good and your IQ is above even 90, you will never get that time back.
Pros
Good pay, nice office, flex time life balance (in theory), serving the people of australia
Cons
Toxic culture, routine and unchallenging work if you actually like to think, work life balance is dependent on your team leaders agendas/feelings towards you
Friendly permanent staff. Training was excellent and was ongoing for the term of my contract. Very inclusive in every aspect of work life. Very understanding of personal life. Office and amenities were very clean.
Just started training for Customer Service and left after one week. Trainer trying to run at 200 km speed. the whole batch is stressed and are struggling to understand. After repeatedly asking to slow down, they do not understand. If ATO wants to train employees, train correctly, not cram the whole training in 10 days and expect the new employees to master what they have learnt. They should access the trainers based on the performance of the new recruit
Conducting field and office reviews and investigation of taxpayer compliance through careful analysis third party interviews together with investigation of business records, and client interviews/profiling to obtain an accurate assessment of the business and the taxpayer. I learned a great deal about interpretation of business types and the many various ways of attempts to conceal and disguise true business operation. Also, when to give credit where due for genuine business operators who may have experienced business problems such as poor structure and lack of effective business planning.
it was good however they force you to do debt collection which was not what the original job interview was done for. job movement withing the organisation was very poor and not followed to the best interest of the candidate
This organisation offers a great range of opportunity and diversity. As I have held various roles within a casual capacity I cannot identify what my 'typical' day consisted of. mainly computer work/data entry. Adhering to the ATO policies and procedures at all times.
Loved the work environment and business culture. Loved every aspect of the job. Dealt with many complaints on a daily, but always ended it in a good conversation.
Great to be part of an organisation that allows you to have more than one career. Flexibility across sections means you can test your skills in various roles. Work/life balance is attainable.
The manager and all my colleagues were energetic and cooperative to design and deploy the site in a timely manner. The overall experience was excellent.
Australian tax office needs to change the way they deliver product knowledge (About tax laws and their internal work management system) to their employees. It was challenging for me when i have first started and there was not much help around gain knowledge about their internal software systems and advance tax laws. We always have to refer in to online documentations. I believe this is some where they can improve and eventually it will increase productivity.
Training on the use of Manuals leaves a lot to be desired and the manuals and procedures constantly changing, spent a lot of time reading and noting changes to debt protocols. Computer operated off several different types of software so it was like playing snakes and ladders.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No job security
Federal Government. Secure Employment. Good Standard benefits. Good training provided. Work Hard. Ensure you have good communication skills. Be friendly.