Australian Taxation Office Employee Reviews

toxin work environment
Tax officer (Former Employee) –  Perth WA14 July 2019
I would not recommend anyone to work here. The work environment was very toxin. I was working with bunch of people who were friends and played favouritism. Even they could not do their job - they found someone to blame for their shortcomings. HR staff are so dysfunctional. They know nothing and would not help.
Pros
Cons
Toxin work environment
Productive and fun workplace
APS2, APS3 & APS5 - Various positions (Former Employee) –  Qld, Vic & NSW8 May 2019
I enjoyed my time with the Australian Taxation office, it gave me the opportunity to have a good home/work life balance whilst raising my children and I made some life long friends that I will treasure.
Pros
Flexible working conditions
Cons
Job applications for promotions
Productive and good environment
Mainframe Developer (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT6 May 2019
Worked as a Mainframe Developer using COBOL, CICS, DB2, MFE, Visual studio etc in an Agile and Waterfall environments. Had a chance to learn and use Agile environment for development and maintenance work.
Pros
Good working conditions
Cons
Sometimes long hours
casual
ASO1 Mail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT17 March 2019
this was working in the mail room handling and distributing incoming and outgoing mail from the office mostly during the tax return season. also completed other administrative tasks as required
Pros
ok working environment
Cons
temp contract
Great Place to work
Service Delivery Officer (Former Employee) –  Upper Mount Gravatt QLD14 March 2019
The tax office was a great job, good pay, friendly staff and quite interesting work, the only setback was that for casual staff, only 25 hours a week of work would be provided and there was no chance of increasing hours within the next year or two, though besides that it was quite a good workplace.
Pros
Pay, Free lunches
Cons
weekly hours werent long enough
Great design of building and fun time with pool table in lunch room
SUPPORT OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC6 March 2019
Overall great working place but not much assistance when you're a new starter. Great friendly team and great set out desk wise. But when you're in need of help or need assistance you will be waiting a long time.
Pros
Great tea rooms
Cons
Management is unorganised
worked in a team environment
Administrative Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW1 March 2019
this information is included in my job description profile
worked under routine direction against established priorities and procedures
completed allocated tasks within required timeframes and producing work that is subject to close monitoring
OK employer
Debt Collection and Hardship Officer (Current Employee) –  Perth WA9 February 2019
A very large organisation so there are many opportunities to advance. There are many long time staff which form a string back bone to the organisation.
Pros
Reasonable Pay
Cons
Demanding on work life balance
Changing
ATO People Officer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD8 February 2019
Be open to applying yourself in a fluid environment.

Restructuring occurs. Training is available.

Work to build your capabilities and compencies with a view to advance through roles across broader APS.
Pros
Diverse range of roles, skills needed and possiblities.
Cons
Resilience is important.
regret.
Inbound Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC4 February 2019
Salary was awful. I was making as much as my partner does in a week in a fortnight. For a government job you think you would get paid more.

A lot of pressure to do well and no support. Was forced to work on phone after a day with a helper who was constantly telling me the wrong thing. Stress and anxiety was severe during my employment.

Was lied to constantly, being told we would be working with someone for 3 - 5 days after teaching period to then be thrown into the deep end after a day. Helpers always annoyed that they had to help you and always making sly comments and asking 'why do you not know how to do this'. Was thrown out of my nesting area after 3 days for a new group to start employment,

Everyone is young and turn over must be high. Had new people starting all the time. They honestly hire anybody. I thought i got this job based on my skills and degree. Turns out they hire literally anybody.

The worst part was the pay, how any of these people survive on 21 an hour working for the government is beyond me. First day i had people already failing me on my phone calls and meetings planned with one of the head office guys to discuss that if it happens again maybe it is not the job for you. Way to make a first impression.

Was going home everyday crying and anxious, i was good at my job but the pressure of being perfect with little to no training was ridiculous. Had other employees telling me constantly that the training was rubbish and everything you learnt was to be learnt on the floor on the spot.

Place is a joke. Not anything i thought it would be
  more... like. I was so excited to work there but that went away as soon as i started out on the floor.  less
Pros
Cons
Pay, No way to go up and no opportunities to move to better positions, Was told you had to re apply and hope for the best, no transfers to other departments or another position as this was something i wanted to do, no consideration of your qualifications
Great salary package and great training provided
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE, PARRAMATTA (Former Employee) –  Parramatta NSW23 January 2019
The taxation office overall was a great opportunity that could have lasted a lifetime it was unfortunate that a lot of us had lost our jobs.
I have gained a few strengths and generally have learnt a great deal with my experience working at the taxation office.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no cons
Interesting work
GST Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT6 January 2019
There was a lack of training and development within the area. Certain team leaders would not get involved with team members cases, and tried to avoid work.
Varied, interesting and productive
APS2 Casual/Intermittent Operative (Former Employee) –  Adelaide, South Australia1 January 2019
The Australian Taxation Office is a Federal Government Department responsible for all taxation, superannuation and many more diverse work types on behalf of the Australian Government and people.
The Department uses specialised computer programs which must be learned and used to complete the work quickly and efficiently. I worked with a dedicated team of after hours staff who enjoyed a friendly and co-operative work environment.
Pros
Good pay
ATO workplace situations
SERVICE DELIVERY OFFICER APS 1 (Former Employee) –  Moonee Ponds VIC21 December 2018
People politics: unbearable; supervisors:not helpful and supportive for casual staff in particular. promotions: rare and unfair, choosing the crooked.
Pros
Clean and standardisd environments
Cons
crooked staff and supervisors standing in the way; managers too blind to see the truth.
Standard fed govt job
Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD18 December 2018
Standard job where upper level mgmt had no idea on task details and how long tasks took.

No consistency between teams on company policy. What was fine in one team was not in another.

Some harrasment and bullying from some narcissistic team members.

Team leaders I worked with generally great folks doing the best they could.
Pros
Decent wage, overtime pay, work/life balance. Team mates generally great people.
Cons
Constant change of directions, little applicble training offered on some systems, uncertain job security.
Dreadful workplace - worst job I ever had
Customer Service Representative (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Chermside16 December 2018
Top management and middle/low management have completely different rules. Doing my job properly, I was told by my line manager, numerous times, to forget about what I was trained in, forget about what they say "at the top", I must do what my manager says, even though it's against protocol. Too many old dinosaurs are working at the ATO and the culture cannot change until they all die out of old age...
Pros
None that I can think of
Cons
Awful culture
Positive workplace
Inbound Call Center Operator (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC15 December 2018
Do not have any complaints about the workplace. Absolutely love being a part of such a great team. Hardest part of the job, is leaving when you're finished as every single person you work with is great.
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD13 December 2018
great place to work. opportunities to progress. easy working environment and hours. work life balance. heaps of training and support. i would recommended
Quiet place to work
Customer Engagement Officer (Current Employee) –  Hobart TAS11 December 2018
There is always someone to assist if you need help. Team leader is very good and knowledgeable .
excellent work areas, plenty of facilitites to access, like break out areas, access to fresh air eating areas.
fun place
Client Liaison Officer (Current Employee) –  Perth WA30 November 2018
already submitted previously, it is a good organisation to work for, T/L are not the preferred one as some lack people skills. the organisation is too large ,when remotely managed it is challenging.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Australian Taxation Office. Our community is ready to answer.