Australian Taxation Office logo
Australian Taxation Office
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Australian Taxation Office Employee Reviews in Brisbane QLD

Work–Life Balance

Changing

Be open to applying yourself in a fluid environment. Restructuring occurs. Training is available. Work to build your capabilities and compencies with a view to advance through roles across broader APS.

Pros

Diverse range of roles, skills needed and possiblities.

Cons

Resilience is important.

Worked for 13 companies. This is my best.

I joined in 2012 with the Brisbane Office. Worked on a number of interesting projects. At all times I was engaged and challenged. There is no room for time wasters and poor attitude at this organisation. Work is professional and delivered on time and within budget. I found people there extremely honest and very trusting people. After 2 years in the Brisbane Office I joined the Adelaide Office. Once again the same culture and loved it.

Pros

Great culture. Great pay. Great work. Great people.

Cons

I could not fault it.

Old Style public service

Stupidity and workplace bullying are alive and well in the ATO. I was pushed to breaking point and took my concerns to the Fair Work Commission. I won my case.

Pros

Days off

Cons

Management and workplace bullying

Standard fed govt job

Standard job where upper level mgmt had no idea on task details and how long tasks took. No consistency between teams on company policy. What was fine in one team was not in another. Some harrasment and bullying from some narcissistic team members. Team leaders I worked with generally great folks doing the best they could.

Pros

Decent wage, overtime pay, work/life balance. Team mates generally great people.

Cons

Constant change of directions, little applicble training offered on some systems, uncertain job security.

great place to work. opportunities to progress. easy working environment and hours. work life balance. heaps of training and support. i would recommended

Customer Service Representative

Answer phone calls about debt and business. This includes set up payment arrangements, remit interest, penalties and create deferrals. Issue BAS and quote tax law.

Pros

Professional environment and ATO benefits

Cons

Keeping up with change in work formats.

Work life balance is good. Management and work culture is quite poor. Glass ceiling is there for women and people from different cultural backgrounds.

A typical day starts with reviewing the cases on hand. Staff were required to have at least 10 active cases on hand and sometimes when all cases have deadlines, it can be hard to manage. Then you go to internal with other audit teams or to external meetings with taxpayers. You also spend time researching or writing your reports. Each case is different, I learned a great deal about how companies operates, how to analyse the financial reports, how their business grow and what are the likely areas of problems. Managers are more concerned about achieving the revenue target rather than listening and considering the sustainability of the work load. Rewards/advancements were usually made based on who you know and how well you talk rather than on actual work done. Inappropriate focuses made on how a report is presented rather than whether you have solved the problems.

Pros

Job security is relatively good. No need to work overtime if you don't want to.

Cons

Work culture is poor and office politics is distressing

Not what it was.

There used to be a real 'team' culture in the ATO - co-operative and collegiate and mutually supportive. That steadily declined since the late 1980's. The idea of the organisation fostering a culture of co-operation and mutual trust within the Australian community seems to have been abandoned. As that shift has occurred, so to has the relationship between senior management and front-line staff deteriorated.

Pros

Some of the staff, who still believe in fairness and justice in spite of departmental policy.

Cons

Lack of management support or meaningful consultation.

Excellent learning environment.

I acquired the skills and abilities necessary to give me confidence in leaning new jobs. The management were good to work for and the pay was excellent.

Difficult work environment

Not an easy workplace. Very political and very much tied up reaching targets. Continually re-assessing and changing work strategies and plans. Employee job satisfaction is not high.

Pros

Good work life balance allowed

Cons

Unhappy work environments

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Australian Taxation Office?

Good company

good company. easy work, paid well, super and salary package are good and only get better. Lots of networking opportunities and room for improvement and advancement.

admin officer

Over the last 4 years I’ve worked as a customer service officer supporting the ATO’s debt collection work. The role involves liaising with taxpayers on a variety of debt issues; in particular I have responsibility for the determination of General Interest Charge (GIC) remission. On a daily basis I find myself undertaking the following – * Research on related law and legislation * Face to face, phone and letter approaches to taxpayers * Structured taxpayer interviews, involving specific questions about their business activity * Interpretation, analysis and documentation of findings and discussions * Consultation with team members and colleagues on related issues.

Pros

free coffee

Cons

n/a

A challenging experience.

Too many positions held to provide a typical day. A typical day is starting early, answer phone calls, respond to letters, investigate the internet, team meetings, management meetings.

Pros

Variety of work and locations.

Cons

Too much red tape and complex legislation.

Great people to work with but top management have no idea

If top level management gets their act together, the place would be an awesome place to work. However, they keep on making the same mistakes over and over. There is really no leadership and they keep on changing their minds like little kids in a candy shop while a lot of good people run around trying to keep up with the latest fab they have. Overall, it is a good place to work, the people are really nice and friendly, as a contractor you feel sorry for them because things are in constant change but always the same.

Pros

Nice caring people

Cons

Top management do not learn from their mistake, so dumb decisions are constance

Poor work culture

Management high up do not have respect for staff. People don't exist, just numbers. A lot of out sourcing goes on. There are many processes in place, very black and white. Showing initiative for grey areas doesn't tend to be favourable. Too much is open to interpretation, starting with initial employment.

Pros

Great pay

Cons

Too many to list

Challenging, dynamic and thought-provoking role

Working as a compliance officer for Australia's revenue authority has been a fantastic experience for my professional and personal development. Undertaking audits and examining complex technical issues, liaising with corporate taxpayers and providing risk recommendations were part of my daily duties. It was a challenging and rewarding role and I had the pleasure of working with and learning from great people along the way.

Pros

Morning teas

Cons

Difficult clients

Ato

Having worked for the ATO for about 14 years, I wanted to get out and try something different and took a redundancy. It was one of the worst things I have done in my life. The ATO provide excellent training, conditions and pay and look after you. If your in a branch office you need to be careful of people that have been in the same job too long and the occassional lazy person. The red tape and the unwillingness to listen to staff can be annoying. 1 person does something wrong, everyone suffers.

Pros

money, conditions

Cons

poor management, too much irrelevant information to your job

Fun productive work place

Case work actively learning on a daily basis Very supportive manager/s great bunch of co-workers volume of data sets the most modern Lab

Pros

woking with a great group of Forensic Analysts

Results get recognition

Huge varietyt of opportunities only limited by your own imagination Leader in OH&S and work life balance Not just a number but a real person Reasonable salary for achievements Supportive environment including medical and psychiatric assistance for you and your family Previous Commissioner really made people feel important Support from every office, no matter how big or small Opportunities to influence with the right amount of data/evidence

Pros

Lots of amazing, talented people

Cons

A little on the 'tight' side when showing appreciation, Awards no more than $2 value, we must be seen to be using the taxpayers money appropriately, Well that included us didn't it???

Flexibility of working hours and taks

Plenty of areas to gain further skills - would always be welcome back to work for them and would accept if offered.

Pros

Always offered different tasks to do and or learn something new

Cons

Nilb

The ATO was/is an excellent government employer. It enables and encourages tax/superannuation technical excellence.

The ATO is an employer of choice. It encourages and promotes tax and superannuation technical excellence, and consequently taxation officers are encouraged to pursue, update and improve on their professional technical expertise.

Pros

encourages technical excellence

Cons

very, long hours with too much travel.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Australian Taxation Office. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Australian Taxation Office