Australian Taxation Office Employee Reviews in Melbourne VIC

regret.
Inbound Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC4 February 2019
Salary was awful. I was making as much as my partner does in a week in a fortnight. For a government job you think you would get paid more.

A lot of pressure to do well and no support. Was forced to work on phone after a day with a helper who was constantly telling me the wrong thing. Stress and anxiety was severe during my employment.

Was lied to constantly, being told we would be working with someone for 3 - 5 days after teaching period to then be thrown into the deep end after a day. Helpers always annoyed that they had to help you and always making sly comments and asking 'why do you not know how to do this'. Was thrown out of my nesting area after 3 days for a new group to start employment,

Everyone is young and turn over must be high. Had new people starting all the time. They honestly hire anybody. I thought i got this job based on my skills and degree. Turns out they hire literally anybody.

The worst part was the pay, how any of these people survive on 21 an hour working for the government is beyond me. First day i had people already failing me on my phone calls and meetings planned with one of the head office guys to discuss that if it happens again maybe it is not the job for you. Way to make a first impression.

Was going home everyday crying and anxious, i was good at my job but the pressure of being perfect with little to no training was ridiculous. Had other employees telling me constantly that the training was rubbish and everything you learnt was to be learnt on the floor on the spot.

Place is a joke. Not anything i thought it would be
  more... like. I was so excited to work there but that went away as soon as i started out on the floor.  less
Pros
Cons
Pay, No way to go up and no opportunities to move to better positions, Was told you had to re apply and hope for the best, no transfers to other departments or another position as this was something i wanted to do, no consideration of your qualifications
Positive workplace
Inbound Call Center Operator (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC15 December 2018
Do not have any complaints about the workplace. Absolutely love being a part of such a great team. Hardest part of the job, is leaving when you're finished as every single person you work with is great.
Very efficient and productive manegment
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC5 July 2018
At the ATO we are required to always follow protocol when dealing with a client.
We are to establish their identity using the ATO identification tools and steps.
They require you to always be respectful, patient and understanding when dealing with enquiries.
I have completed business training and have joined the ATO business team and have undertook new dealings revolving around businesses, superfunds and charities.
The workplace is very well managed and very efficient which keeps you motivated to always do better.
Pros
Great experience and knowledge.
Cons
Very low salary.
When it came to casual or not permanent positions job conditions are not impressive
Client Accounts Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC29 December 2017
Less of pros and lots of cons. Employees wellbeing has not considered for casual or temporary positions, no advancements, limited training opportunities, staff skills and qualifications not applying or relevant to work types done. Not many qualified people occupied for many positions.
Pros
No free lunches or teas. Only hot water provided free of charge.
Cons
Cannot tell
Ato
Service Delivery Officer (APS2) (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC18 December 2017
call centre work

learn a lot in a short space of time

I learnt that this job was not for me

workplace culture is very negative

hardest part of the job was trying to retain so much knowledge and using the SMART procedures which aren't smart at all

enjoyable part was meeting new friends and eating out
Silo's & Nepostim Live Here
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC2 October 2017
Unless you want to be brow beaten by Senior staff that have way too many insecurties.
DON'T work at ATO, that is also unless you are related to a Manager.
Pros
Cons
Way too many to mention
Auditing for the taxation office
Compliance Officer with 26 years of experience (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC5 September 2016
I review account in relation to GST. Once the account has been assessed I approve the refund to the entity involved. I deal with client on a daily basis advising of their requirement in accordance with the legislation.
Pros
To avoid any discrepancies
Cons
Making sure that the entity is operating according to the legislation
One of the best Federal Government organisations to work for
Administration Officer (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC13 August 2016
I learned many of my skills from on the job training, learning and development sessions, from knowledge sharing and mentoring.
The culture at the ATO is excellent, it's a dynamic organisation, we're encouraged to invest in our professional development as there's lots of support and assistance offered.
Ato
Fraud Investigator, Intelligence Analyst (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC24 June 2016
The A.T.O. is a great work place with varied functions and opportunities. The only spoiler about the ATO is the number of operatives that bring the place down with what I call the Public Service attitude and culture.
Pros
Varied and exciting roles and functions
Cons
The Australian Public Service culture
Strict but fun place to work, great co-workers
Operations Officer APS1 (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, VIC27 September 2015
Working in a small team, supportive coach and team leader makes every day a good day. Colleagues are a diverse and fun team to work with. Everybody helps each other and we have regular social events. There are strict standards to meet but that is expected in this type of job.
A health Change Culture
Regional Serviced Accommodation Manager VIC/TAS (Former Employee) –  Melbourne22 February 2015
The following are some of the things that I was able to achieve whilst working for the ATO

• Managing and working with diverse multidisciplinary teams
• Stakeholder and Vendor Management
• Administering corporate applications
• Contributing to best practices
• Managing projects and their resources
• Procurement
• Building infrastructure management
• Risk management
• Quality control
• Workplace audits

Overall a decent place to have worked.
Pros
Regulated, encouragement to apply for other positions within organisation and across government agencies
Cons
Under Trained Management
Productive and dynamic organization
Executive Assistant/Project Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, Victoria, Australia3 January 2015
This Government organization provides countless opportunities and supports its staff to be proactive in facilitating their professional development. There is a culture of support, mentoring and direction in conjunction with exciting, dynamic and fast paced projects and initiatives. Passion and innovation are fostered and rewarded.
Pros
Great professional development opportunities
Tax
APS3 / Debt Collection Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, VIC11 December 2013
Co-workers were great. No day was exactly the same. Safety conscious environment.
We celebrated birthdays'
GST (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, Australia29 September 2012
It was fun environment! Team work which was enjoyable. Daily basis we have to process the papers and call customers to clarify details. My co-workers were helpful and the team leader was good in guiding us. Nothing was hard in this position. Contacting the clients and being part of a team was enjoyble.
Pros
good team spirit
Cons
i did not experience anything bad