Australian Taxation Office
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Australian Taxation Office Management reviews

productive friendly work place
i have more than 4years experience, solid understanding the process and culture of the organisation. Also, it has a good management approach to discuss the issues.
Pros
working with busy environment
Overall protective work place but needs to focus more on system updates
Australian tax office needs to change the way they deliver product knowledge (About tax laws and their internal work management system) to their employees.
It was challenging for me when i have first started and there was not much help around gain knowledge about their internal software systems and advance tax laws. We always have to refer in to online documentations.

I believe this is some where they can improve and eventually it will increase productivity.
18 years excellent The last year not so good
Politics and tree climbers with their own agenda spoilt my last work year and robbed me of the farewell that I deserved

Very little opportunity for advancement

I loved my job and was extremely good at it until a manager on HD eroded my confidence and challenged my decision making
Pros
Was good for 18 years
Cons
Age descrimination is rife
Old Style public service
Stupidity and workplace bullying are alive and well in the ATO. I was pushed to breaking point and took my concerns to the Fair Work Commission. I won my case.
Pros
Days off
Cons
Management and workplace bullying
toxin work environment
I would not recommend anyone to work here. The work environment was very toxin. I was working with bunch of people who were friends and played favouritism. Even they could not do their job - they found someone to blame for their shortcomings. HR staff are so dysfunctional. They know nothing and would not help.
Pros
Cons
Toxin work environment
Great design of building and fun time with pool table in lunch room
Overall great working place but not much assistance when you're a new starter. Great friendly team and great set out desk wise. But when you're in need of help or need assistance you will be waiting a long time.
Pros
Great tea rooms
Cons
Management is unorganised
regret.
Salary was awful. I was making as much as my partner does in a week in a fortnight. For a government job you think you would get paid more.

A lot of pressure to do well and no support. Was forced to work on phone after a day with a helper who was constantly telling me the wrong thing. Stress and anxiety was severe during my employment.

Was lied to constantly, being told we would be working with someone for 3 - 5 days after teaching period to then be thrown into the deep end after a day. Helpers always annoyed that they had to help you and always making sly comments and asking 'why do you not know how to do this'. Was thrown out of my nesting area after 3 days for a new group to start employment,

Everyone is young and turn over must be high. Had new people starting all the time. They honestly hire anybody. I thought i got this job based on my skills and degree. Turns out they hire literally anybody.

The worst part was the pay, how any of these people survive on 21 an hour working for the government is beyond me. First day i had people already failing me on my phone calls and meetings planned with one of the head office guys to discuss that if it happens again maybe it is not the job for you. Way to make a first impression.

Was going home everyday crying and anxious, i was good at my job but the pressure of being perfect with little to no training was ridiculous.
Had other employees telling me constantly that the training was rubbish and everything you learnt was to be learnt on the floor on the spot.

Place is a joke. Not anything i thought it would be
 - more...
Pros
Cons
Pay, No way to go up and no opportunities to move to better positions, Was told you had to re apply and hope for the best, no transfers to other departments or another position as this was something i wanted to do, no consideration of your qualifications
ATO workplace situations
People politics: unbearable; supervisors:not helpful and supportive for casual staff in particular. promotions: rare and unfair, choosing the crooked.
Pros
Clean and standardisd environments
Cons
crooked staff and supervisors standing in the way; managers too blind to see the truth.
Standard fed govt job
Standard job where upper level mgmt had no idea on task details and how long tasks took.

No consistency between teams on company policy. What was fine in one team was not in another.

Some harrasment and bullying from some narcissistic team members.

Team leaders I worked with generally great folks doing the best they could.
Pros
Decent wage, overtime pay, work/life balance. Team mates generally great people.
Cons
Constant change of directions, little applicble training offered on some systems, uncertain job security.
Dreadful workplace - worst job I ever had
Top management and middle/low management have completely different rules. Doing my job properly, I was told by my line manager, numerous times, to forget about what I was trained in, forget about what they say "at the top", I must do what my manager says, even though it's against protocol. Too many old dinosaurs are working at the ATO and the culture cannot change until they all die out of old age...
Pros
None that I can think of
Cons
Awful culture
Exeptional Employer
Working with the ATO, is a valuable opportunity for career advancement, where staff is respected, motivated, and always provided with development tools and programs.
Pros
Respect, motivation, development, exceptional management
Cons
instability due to fixed term contract
Not what it was.
There used to be a real 'team' culture in the ATO - co-operative and collegiate and mutually supportive. That steadily declined since the late 1980's. The idea of the organisation fostering a culture of co-operation and mutual trust within the Australian community seems to have been abandoned. As that shift has occurred, so to has the relationship between senior management and front-line staff deteriorated.
Pros
Some of the staff, who still believe in fairness and justice in spite of departmental policy.
Cons
Lack of management support or meaningful consultation.
Undesirable
Working in a stressful environment the management skills displayed from my employers are inadequate as they do not take into account the actual business so much as its requirements.
Enjoyable and Challenging place to work
I found ATO a great place to work, enjoy and non-stressing. Team leaders are helpful and I learnt numerous new things as returning back into workforce after 6 years so everyone was helpful, kind and supportive. Management was great and kept everyone informed about any Legistation changes or natural disaster crisis. I like that I was able to wear my Indian clothing without racism fear or negative feelings fro co-workers. tHE MOST ENJOYABLE PART was seasonal events, fancy dress party and games offered by ATO Social Club
Pros
ATO Social Club and Help line available for CC staff query and help
Customer Service Officer
Communicated effectively with a wide range of people using different media (e.g. face-to-face, telephone, written).
Assessed customers’ needs and broker solutions with them, considering their requirements and the outcomes sought by government and client agencies.

Acted upon a customer’s enquiry, recorded action undertaken and finalised all transactions in a timely, courteous and professional manner.

Developed partnerships with fellow team members, co-workers and, where applicable, the wider community to ensure customers were provided with a holistic approach to their circumstances.

Provided a quality customer service in accordance with the department’s internal and external customer charters and displayed business acumen by safeguarding our reputation as a quality service provider.

Educated customers regarding the compliance aspects of their payments.

Undertook keyboard and data entry tasks efficiently using the departments computer systems.

Managed own workload using the departments tools.
Pros
Time Management
Cons
Study needed
policy driven
great team
strong structure

public servant to the fullest

government job

casual position but almost two years of solid weekly shifts

excellent management
Growth opportunities, Good Staff Ware
Excellent Management
Staff from diverse background
More work Opportunities

I enjoy work flexibility with work arrangement,

Good work Culture

Staff looked after well
Pros
Flexible Hours
Negative environment
Very negative place to work. Lots of miserable people whom are probably that way due to management, poor job application process and lack of professionalism in the workplace.
ATO outsource
Do what oher people do but they get twice the salary and none of the micromanagement.

No job security and no advancement.

Managers put their own needs first.
Excellent learning environment.
I acquired the skills and abilities necessary to give me confidence in leaning new jobs. The management were good to work for and the pay was excellent.
Silo's & Nepostim Live Here
Unless you want to be brow beaten by Senior staff that have way too many insecurties.
DON'T work at ATO, that is also unless you are related to a Manager.
Pros
Cons
Way too many to mention
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Australian Taxation Office. Our community is ready to answer.