Australian Taxation Office Pay & Benefits reviews

Federal Government
Taxation Officer (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW3 October 2019
Federal Government. Secure Employment. Good Standard benefits. Good training provided. Work Hard. Ensure you have good communication skills. Be friendly.
OK employer
Debt Collection and Hardship Officer (Current Employee) –  Perth WA9 February 2019
A very large organisation so there are many opportunities to advance. There are many long time staff which form a string back bone to the organisation.
Pros
Reasonable Pay
Cons
Demanding on work life balance
regret.
Inbound Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC4 February 2019
Salary was awful. I was making as much as my partner does in a week in a fortnight. For a government job you think you would get paid more.

A lot of pressure to do well and no support. Was forced to work on phone after a day with a helper who was constantly telling me the wrong thing. Stress and anxiety was severe during my employment.

Was lied to constantly, being told we would be working with someone for 3 - 5 days after teaching period to then be thrown into the deep end after a day. Helpers always annoyed that they had to help you and always making sly comments and asking 'why do you not know how to do this'. Was thrown out of my nesting area after 3 days for a new group to start employment,

Everyone is young and turn over must be high. Had new people starting all the time. They honestly hire anybody. I thought i got this job based on my skills and degree. Turns out they hire literally anybody.

The worst part was the pay, how any of these people survive on 21 an hour working for the government is beyond me. First day i had people already failing me on my phone calls and meetings planned with one of the head office guys to discuss that if it happens again maybe it is not the job for you. Way to make a first impression.

Was going home everyday crying and anxious, i was good at my job but the pressure of being perfect with little to no training was ridiculous. Had other employees telling me constantly that the training was rubbish and everything you learnt was to be learnt on the floor on the spot.

Place is a joke. Not anything i thought it would be
  more... like. I was so excited to work there but that went away as soon as i started out on the floor.  less
Pros
Cons
Pay, No way to go up and no opportunities to move to better positions, Was told you had to re apply and hope for the best, no transfers to other departments or another position as this was something i wanted to do, no consideration of your qualifications
Non-biased and appreciative
Client Service Delivery Officer (Current Employee) –  Box Hill VIC7 October 2018
ATO are the best employers. The provide excellent work-life balance, plenty of training opportunities, superb salary, benefits and superannuation, and a friendly workplace environment.
Pros
Learning oppportunities, friendly workplace
Cons
In recruitment, there is a lot of evident favouritism in the process
Customer Service Representative
Customer Service Representative (Call Centre) (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD3 October 2018
Answer phone calls about debt and business. This includes set up payment arrangements, remit interest, penalties and create deferrals. Issue BAS and quote tax law.
Pros
Professional environment and ATO benefits
Cons
Keeping up with change in work formats.
How the work life balance
Client Service Administrator (Current Employee) –  Australia16 August 2018
I am very happy with satisfaction with the work that provides excellent work life balance.
Working conditions are excellent
Supervisor is very understanding
Satisfied with their salary
Pros
Flexible hours of work
Cons
Promotions limited
Very efficient and productive manegment
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC5 July 2018
At the ATO we are required to always follow protocol when dealing with a client.
We are to establish their identity using the ATO identification tools and steps.
They require you to always be respectful, patient and understanding when dealing with enquiries.
I have completed business training and have joined the ATO business team and have undertook new dealings revolving around businesses, superfunds and charities.
The workplace is very well managed and very efficient which keeps you motivated to always do better.
Pros
Great experience and knowledge.
Cons
Very low salary.
Great Place to work!
Operations and Solutions Officer (Former Employee) –  Moonee Ponds VIC18 March 2018
Would definitely love to come back to the ATO, once there is position's available. It is unfortunate that there is hiring freeze at the moment.

Want a secure job, this is the place to be.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
No permanent positions
ATO outsource
Acting Team Leader and Customer Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD18 October 2017
Do what oher people do but they get twice the salary and none of the micromanagement.

No job security and no advancement.

Managers put their own needs first.
This was a fill in job.
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Albury NSW17 July 2017
I liked the work. Early hours and the pay rate. Didn't have a lot to do with other staff members. Only at morning and afternoon teas and lunch time. Job wasn't hard.
Pros
No comment
Cons
No comment
many amenities
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Adelaide City Centre SA11 June 2017
Enjoyed my experience here to a great degree. Some management outstanding but others below par and played the them versus us game when promoted to higher position. The most enjoyable were my colleagues and the majority of my clients. The hardest part was accepting that management encouraged me to take a small package when I was not ready because I was over 60 years of age and considered a dinosaur and they wanted to bring in more school leavers even though I was well trained and had gained a great deal of knowledge. This treatment of senior staff was encouraged at that time. I believe that currently there is a more even blend of ages and experience. However, many of my former colleagues have now left.
Pros
Many varied benefits were enjoyed
Cons
Flextime was used by most workers
Good company
Liaison (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD18 May 2017
good company. easy work, paid well, super and salary package are good and only get better. Lots of networking opportunities and room for improvement and advancement.
jobs for family and friends
Client Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Parramatta NSW16 March 2017
middle management are useless, incompetent and asleep half the time. very easy to get stuck and go no where here. advancement not based on merit as in how well you do your current role but based on a couple of interview questions which is why people who are completely useless at their jobs but can perform in an interview will get the job instead of the right people.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
bad managment and lazy bored culture
Great for first job experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD2 March 2017
Lengthy hours with short breaks. Low pay. Great people and culture. Always celebrating the little things with rewards and recognition. No benefits and contractors are treated differently from permanent employees.
Pros
Working from 7 am to 7 pm you can choose your shifts
Cons
Mostly employs staff through contract agencies
Generally fast paced and in a circus feeling.
Service Delivery Officer (Current Employee) –  Parramatta NSW10 February 2017
Call Center work - but no job advertisement will mention the word "call center".
Poor recruitment practices. Job security and advancement will be luck of the draw.
Salary/Benefits are acceptable but not great.
Busy work environment, too much to interpret.
Management is not great. I have never seen CEO so far.
Workplace culture is satisfactory.
Some great people around to work with.
Pros
Team bonding
Cons
Many to list. However ATTITUDE is a major factor from the leaders.
not so good
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Penrith NSW31 January 2017
terrible culture

discrimination

little support

non effective methods of training

great facilities and equipment

salary was reasonable
Pros
pay facilities equipment
Cons
culture lack of support
Public Service politics and empire building by CES and Executive management destroys engagement
Compliance Officer, Employer Obligations (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA19 November 2016
Despite passionate officers at the coal face there is no recognition by way of a fair Enterprise Agreement now for 4 years. The Senior Executive Staff however continue to receive annual increases in pay of up to $40,000.
Pros
Secure
Cons
Constrained
good company, good wage, good procedures.
debt collection officer (Former Employee) –  Perth WA7 September 2016
I enjoyed working at the ATO, because they were incredibly organised, they had clear procedures and polices on how to do certain tasks. They also have a pool table in the lunch room downstairs which is fun, and it was enjoyable working in Northbridge as there was a number of choices for buying your lunch.
Pros
good wage, good management, good location.
Cons
very competitive in gaining another role
Office politics create an unhealthy environment
Senior Law Advisor Manager - Executive Level (Former Employee) –  Adelaide21 May 2016
The pay and benefits are great. Mostly work life balance is great. Unfortunately you have to be able to survive the bullying and office politics that make for a miserable work environment.
Good work/life balance, redtape
Losses Risk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Box Hill VIC7 February 2016
At the ATO benefits are exceptional in terms of superannuation, work/life balance and sick/personal leave.
However making an actual difference and the downfalls of burocracy lead you to become unmotivated over a period of time and the work becomes stale.
Pros
personal leave/flextime
Cons
red tape

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Australian Taxation Office. Our community is ready to answer.