Australian Unity Employee Reviews

Horrible place
Pca (Current Employee) –  Victoria18 January 2019
Not really good place to work . Management not supportive and not value the staff . Lots of favarisom going in this place . I don’t recommend anyone to come to work here.
Just dont go there
Manager (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC17 January 2019
Good people who have other options never stay long at Australian Unity.

They will tell you that their purpose is “to help people thrive” but when you are an employee, this really does feel like a cruel joke.

On a good day you are tolerated, on a typical day you are neglected and on a bad day you will be very unsafe.

On the plus side, they pay well (they have to, given what employees have to put up with) and have a huge, fancy Christmas Party each year.

Only consider working there if you:
• Are motivated mainly by money
• Have very low expectations of your CEO and leaders
• Are happy to deliver change at a snails pace
• Are very very very VERY resilient
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Leadership, culture, Ceo
Worst place i have ever worked
Home Care Worker (Current Employee) –  NSW North Coast NSW30 December 2018
Absolutely NO support from office or case managers. Almost all shifts are cleaning. Every time you walk in the office everybody ignores you and you feel like an idiot standing there waiting for any one to notice you. Rude stressed out staff. No body cares that you work hard and get great feedback from clients. No recognition. No career advancement opportunity even though they advertise the job position as saying there is. I've never felt so unsupported in my life. I'm looking forward to getting out as quickly as I can.
Cons
no morals work work work
service coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW17 November 2018
this company doesn't care about their clients only about the money coming back into the company they spent in buying the Home Care services they have killed the good name the previous company had caring this mob don't care at all
Fast paced, interactive, rewarding job oppurtunities
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Moruya NSW5 November 2018
This company just went through a massive transformation from Home Care NSW to Australian Unity.

During that shift of companies, the supervisors and line managers had to cope with so much change and many difficulties.

There were definite parts that were lacking or where we felt unorganised or that is was difficult to be heard, but that was more due to the huge influx of clients and the massive changes. The team were incredible through it all, trying to accommodate a huge team from Bega to Ulladulla and all inland to Cooma.

I am very proud to have been a part of that team and thankful for the opportunities that is has brought into my life.

They use a mobile check in app which is very efficient and makes it very easy to keep up with any changes with the client or the team.
Middle and Upper Management have no clue
Group Finance (Current Employee) –  South Melbourne2 November 2018
Middle and Upper Management have no clue and are unqualified for the job titles they have/give themselves/rename themselves which is on a regular basis - you sometimes scratch your head and go 'what do they actually do given their job title is so convoluted".

Too many strategy changes and recommendations but no action and meaningful results.

Systems are prehistoric and nobody knows where the information comes from just push push push get it out.

This organization is definitely top heavy with a lot of passengers/brown nosers who have been there for ages and actually are not qualified for the positions they are in.

Too fragmented and too many silos and an emphasis of talking the talk but not walking the walk.

When in doubt outsource it to the consultants who are more than happy to charge charge charge for advice that will never get implemented.
Pros
okay work life balance and okay pay
Cons
so many so little space to write
no good management
Care Worker (Current Employee) –  New South Wales8 October 2018
The area Management leaves a lot to be desired, bulling of the Care Workers and Service Co's and other office staff is common, by cutting work hours and refusing advancement because of their own personal dislikes , not job performance
Pros
i have a permanent position so i have guaranteed hours
Cons
too many to name
It was horrible!
Fund Accountant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC26 September 2018
Extremely busy. Management is not supportive. Senior colleague was extremely difficult to work with. The management often gets angry and were not supportive of staff.
Pros
Good monthly meeting
Cons
Extremely political.
Enjoyed the diversity of the roles and workplace
Administration Assistant / Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Nowra NSW18 September 2018
Understood and learned about compassion. Enjoyed using the technology and enjoyed sharing the experience of changing from government to private enterprise.
Not great for your mental health.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  South Melbourne VIC26 August 2018
I pushed through ad long as I could, 18 months to be precise. One day I woke up and said I can't do this anymore, so I resigned. They say the majority of Psychopaths exist in the business world, well they certainly do at Australian Unity. It is an unqualified scramble to the top, with more managements changes than a new born has a nappy changed. The culture is dog eat dog and their is no consistency or stability within various departments. Customer Service is not a priority and the pay is terrible. If you want to work for a company and learn how things are done or want to be part of a company that is market progressive, then don't work at AU. The only thing I gained was a deeper insight into what not to do.
Pros
Leaving the job.
Cons
Staying for as long as I did.
lovely clients,hopless management
Home Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Sydney Northern Suburbs NSW19 July 2018
Lovely cleints overall, management hopless, no guidance, wants you to work 24/7 and when you say you can not just roster you anyway.
Lots of travel involved outside your own area and so no payment for this and short shifts not consistent, money avaialebl , no time to get to shifts very far apart often and no time given to go to the toilet , no proper breaks given which is ellegal , if you speak up it just what the job entails.Some clients expect cleaning like a professional and expect a lot in the time frame given.
Pros
great clients
Cons
short shifts, not willing to listen to workers, management no idea how long it takes to get to some places, not enought time allowed for travel, long travel required for little shift, poorly paid
Disgraceful
Allocations (Former Employee) –  NSW South Coast NSW31 May 2018
I have worked for this company in an admin role , positives were some people in the office I worked with and the In home carers out on the road. Basically management in head office and payroll have no idea which way is up or down. They treat staff like they are absolutely nothing. I started my role to help carers in any way I could as I have done the hands on care work and wanted to make a difference even if it was small. But like all companies in this industry they do not care about the people that are the backbone to their business. Shame shame shame
Pros
Other care workers
Cons
Everything, not being paid, over worked and being treated poorly
Mailroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW15 May 2018
Again Good work ethics and a balance environment for future advancement for job opportunities.

Had a bit of misunderstanding of how the work evolves around the clock as my work completes within the time range and was paid only for the hours instead of the hours stated in my contract.

Was not happy about the work since I have relevant bills to accomodate myself with instead of holding on to this work without getting more pay to accommodate my necessities.
Pros
Cons
Less hours
Its a good mums job to get you bit extra
Part time Domestic Home Care Service (Former Employee) –  Newcastle NSW20 April 2018
service coordinator loverly and supportive. Rosters not consistent. Majority of clients are loverly. I think good work life balance. Bit boring. But easy.

I feel I pay more in feul then what you get back....

last thing you wana do is clean your own home.
Pros
gets me out of the house
Cons
traveling
as an empoler not great
Assisting clients to shower (Former Employee) –  Penrith NSW26 March 2018
this employer wants you to be on call 24/7
they are slow to pay money owed to you
there are alot of split shifts
you need to chase them for responses
no on going training
Pros
no pros
Cons
split shifts
culture is terrible the managers are terrible
Service coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bankstown NSW1 March 2018
Always stressful days. The management unorganized. Encouraged you to work after hours. Managers do not look after their staff. Managers put the problem back onto you. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting lovely colleagues but unfortunately every week colleagues quit jobs .
Like the idea of h*ll? Work here!
Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New South Wales25 February 2018
This company has no clue what they are doing. Fellow co workers who have worked in this industry for over 30 years have never been so miserable since AU took over.. Overworked... stressed.. little to no training provided... they keep on shoving work onto you. Constant empty promises.

They encourage you to work after hours and on weekends for nothing.. milk as much from you as possible as they don't want more staff.

No point talking to managers because they put the problem back onto you but the real issue is the company and its structure.

You will not be promoted in this company.. so don't bother working hard because they will hire someone else.

The only good part of the job is meeting lovely clients who i genuinely care about.. They have inherited a team of amazing staff and want to work them into the ground to death.
Pros
Any job will be a walk in the park after this
Cons
Work here if you want to be miserable
Poor unqualified leadership with no clear strategies - silo environment
Marketing specialist (Former Employee) –  114 Albert Road, South Melbourne19 February 2018
Each business unit does their own thing. When things go wrong lots of finger pointing and blame. If you don't have a strong will, steer clear.

This company employs leaders that are unqualified and manipulative. It's a survival of the fittest environment. I have never resigned from a company with less than twelve months tenure - this was the first with 9 months.

The worst senior leadership, management and politics that I have ever seen in a corporate environment.
Pros
Great team - before they were made redundant
Cons
So many, poor management, no cohesiveness between sales and marketing, no great leadership
terrible place to work
Customer Solutions Consultant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC29 January 2018
Australian unity,

would have to be the worst place i have ever worked, the culture is terrible the managers are terrible the pay is terrible, everything about this place is terrible
all talk no action
Facility administration (Former Employee) –  Melbourne27 January 2018
AUs vision and stated work culture are smoke and mirrirs. More time is spent on managing staff and planning how to make things work rather than actually putting steps in place to bring about the change. The future is the reality but it's all discussion on how it should be done. Another meeting, another review, another discussion/dissection... Then apply another remote communication pathway or channel to "bring everyone together". Competition between staff is crippling. There's no sense of fun, let alone humour - just deadly seriousness about making lives better!
Hated the place and the salary is woeful.
Pros
employ anyone upright and breathing
Cons
layers of management, IT support and resouces, penny pinching on staff equipment, reliance on sub standard IT

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Australian Unity. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8