Australian Unity Employee Reviews

Disgraceful
Allocations (Former Employee) –  NSW South Coast NSW31 May 2018
I have worked for this company in an admin role , positives were some people in the office I worked with and the In home carers out on the road. Basically management in head office and payroll have no idea which way is up or down. They treat staff like they are absolutely nothing. I started my role to help carers in any way I could as I have done the hands on care work and wanted to make a difference even if it was small. But like all companies in this industry they do not care about the people that are the backbone to their business. Shame shame shame
Pros
Other care workers
Cons
Everything, not being paid, over worked and being treated poorly
Mailroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW15 May 2018
Again Good work ethics and a balance environment for future advancement for job opportunities.

Had a bit of misunderstanding of how the work evolves around the clock as my work completes within the time range and was paid only for the hours instead of the hours stated in my contract.

Was not happy about the work since I have relevant bills to accomodate myself with instead of holding on to this work without getting more pay to accommodate my necessities.
Pros
Cons
Less hours
as an empoler not great
Assisting clients to shower (Former Employee) –  Penrith NSW26 March 2018
this employer wants you to be on call 24/7
they are slow to pay money owed to you
there are alot of split shifts
you need to chase them for responses
no on going training
Pros
no pros
Cons
split shifts
culture is terrible the managers are terrible
Service coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bankstown NSW1 March 2018
Always stressful days. The management unorganized. Encouraged you to work after hours. Managers do not look after their staff. Managers put the problem back onto you. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting lovely colleagues but unfortunately every week colleagues quit jobs .
Like the idea of h*ll? Work here!
Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New South Wales25 February 2018
This company has no clue what they are doing. Fellow co workers who have worked in this industry for over 30 years have never been so miserable since AU took over.. Overworked... stressed.. little to no training provided... they keep on shoving work onto you. Constant empty promises.

They encourage you to work after hours and on weekends for nothing.. milk as much from you as possible as they don't want more staff.

No point talking to managers because they put the problem back onto you but the real issue is the company and its structure.

You will not be promoted in this company.. so don't bother working hard because they will hire someone else.

The only good part of the job is meeting lovely clients who i genuinely care about.. They have inherited a team of amazing staff and want to work them into the ground to death.
Pros
Any job will be a walk in the park after this
Cons
Work here if you want to be miserable
Poor unqualified leadership with no clear strategies - silo environment
Marketing specialist (Former Employee) –  114 Albert Road, South Melbourne19 February 2018
Each business unit does their own thing. When things go wrong lots of finger pointing and blame. If you don't have a strong will, steer clear.

This company employs leaders that are unqualified and manipulative. It's a survival of the fittest environment. I have never resigned from a company with less than twelve months tenure - this was the first with 9 months.

The worst senior leadership, management and politics that I have ever seen in a corporate environment.
Pros
Great team - before they were made redundant
Cons
So many, poor management, no cohesiveness between sales and marketing, no great leadership
terrible place to work
Customer Solutions Consultant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC29 January 2018
Australian unity,

would have to be the worst place i have ever worked, the culture is terrible the managers are terrible the pay is terrible, everything about this place is terrible
all talk no action
Facility administration (Former Employee) –  Melbourne27 January 2018
AUs vision and stated work culture are smoke and mirrirs. More time is spent on managing staff and planning how to make things work rather than actually putting steps in place to bring about the change. The future is the reality but it's all discussion on how it should be done. Another meeting, another review, another discussion/dissection... Then apply another remote communication pathway or channel to "bring everyone together". Competition between staff is crippling. There's no sense of fun, let alone humour - just deadly seriousness about making lives better!
Hated the place and the salary is woeful.
Pros
employ anyone upright and breathing
Cons
layers of management, IT support and resouces, penny pinching on staff equipment, reliance on sub standard IT
Enjoy working for Australian Unity Home Care
Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW27 December 2017
Coordinating training and monitoring staff to assist the aged and disabled in the community is very important work,.Every day has new challenges which with patience and understanding I do whatever possible to help people live safely confidently and independently for as long as possible.
Pros
Assisting people of all walks of life cultures aged and disabled to live independently.
Cons
No cons - love my job plenty of job satisfaction work with a dedicated team of people.
Happy with Australian Unity after the take over from NSW Homecare
Care Worker (Current Employee) –  St George NSW16 December 2017
Working for a branch which manages itself is a bonus. All branches have now gone back to self managing as the Allocations rostering system did not work out due to staff not being familiar with clients needs.
If you have a well organised and understanding Service Coordinator, working for Australian Unity as a care worker can be a very rewarding career.
Having an unorganised service co could make your employment with Australian Unity a challenge.
I am paid KM's and travel time between clients. Always have a 30 min break allocated after 5 hrs of work. Good idea to join the union United Voice so you have the backup of the union if you aren't getting your award conditions.
I like the mobile Procura software, all client information at your fingertips, no more going into the office to hand back schedules every fortnight.
Challenges could arise with difficult clients, extremely cluttered or dirty homes. There are policies and strategies in place to overcome these difficulties.
I feel the St George branch is probably one of the best managed branches in the Sydney metro area.
All PPE equipment is supplied also a full uniform.
Overall very happy with the way Australian Unity has continued the service of NSW Home Care.
Pros
Understanding service Co. Wonderful clients
Cons
Working in the heat of summer
I enjoyed working in client's homes and was respectful at all times
Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Coffs Harbour NSW30 November 2017
The chemicals used for cleaning in most clients' homes irritated my sensitivity to chemical cleaners and my eyes and nose streamed whilst cleaning. Otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed the personal care aspect of the position.
Disorganised and unprofessional culture
Podiatrist (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC25 November 2017
The job itself was good, I'd had plenty of expereince in the role and felt comfortable.. but the management was awful.

Micro managing and chaos from the top filtered through to their staff who were unnecessarily over worked. The pay was acceptable but the unpaid over time required greatly decreased everyones hourly rate.

High staff turnover because of these issues further compounded the stressful environment.

I worked with Australian Unity for around 8 months before moving to a similar role with another company with a far better managment style.
Pros
Not many
Cons
Lots of expected unpaid overtime. Stressed managers. Very high staff turnover
Great work place
Home Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Coonabarabran NSW22 November 2017
Fulfilling company to work for for myself as I'm hard working, sociable and friendly person and my job title as a home care worker made me enjoy and love going to work for Australian unity
Staff where very pleasant
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Constitution Hill, AU18 November 2017
Staff where great to work with.
As I was only on Maternity relief I just followed what had to be done.

The staff and management where great to work with.
Pros
Lunch
Cons
Unhappy staff
Good job for retirees
Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Northern Rivers NSW2 October 2017
Love my clients the hours would suit someone whose kids have left home and you've paid off your mortgage etc. Like a play job or something to keep you getting out of bed. You would love this job if you have good time management skills, empathy, integrity, good work ethics and you enjoy being of service to others. You will be working alone so you need to be a responsible person. Older ladies are generally better at this job due to more experience in life having kids etc.
Pros
The clients and working by yourself
Cons
Never enough work poor management the list goes on and on!!
a typical day
Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Gosford NSW29 September 2017
consists of constantly prioritising to ensure staff are supported and clients receive appropriate and timely service in a cost effective way. answering phone calls from clients and staff
supervising and supporting staff
most enjoyable part of the job is the knowledge that you are making a positive difference in client's lives
Pros
office cameraderie
Cons
rostering system that is not very user friendly or time efficient
Personal care
Carer (Former Employee) –  Bankstown NSW9 August 2017
I loved the worked that I did at Australian unity working with age care and disability i have leaarnt a lot working with the short time I worked for them the hours was not good and the wage could be better
Pros
nil
Cons
hours
Dietitian (Former Employee) –  South Melbourne VIC8 August 2017
highly recommended working at Australian Unity. Great work life balance, career advancement opportunities and good management. offers discount to health insurance
Losing positive direction
Careworker (Former Employee) –  Northern NSW3 July 2017
I've enjoyed meeting new clients and striving to make a positive influence in people's lives.

However, that's where the positives finish.

Local service delivery diminished by remote management (Management from Outside local areas).

Not enough hours and jobs too far away (Poorly coordinated)

The company needs to forget about remotely managing jobs from outside local areas and get back to local management. Statewide 13 numbers are not the answer.

If the company were to go back to a more local management model then I believe their service satisfaction would be better from everyone involved !

Let the many local offices manage again !

Staff and clients alike will benefit from a better more local service delivery
Pros
Can't think of any
Cons
Can think of many incl ones already outlined below
What my position involves
Home Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Maitland NSW12 June 2017
one on one client bases, (sometimes a buddy system is in place depending on level of care) where i provide quality companion services to the client. I offer transportation service to support the client with shopping, appointments and for any other services that may be required.

Travelling between clients which requires time and travel management skills as well as providing different services including personal care services or social support services etc.

Clients needs vary as well as level of care.

The most enjoyable part of my job is helping others achieve their goals and reach the clients full potential. Increasing the self confidence as well as self esteem including giving others something to look forward to.
Pros
being in an industry in which i love being in
Cons
not consistent hours