Australian Unity Employee Reviews

Fun workplace
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Clayton South VIC25 April 2019
Ok for temporary position. No long term advancement opportunity which resulted in a lack of incentive for many of my colleagues. Basic pay with a lot of travel time involved
Cons
Distance-remote location
Bad Management
Personal Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Glen Waverley VIC28 February 2019
Don’t get me wrong, AU is a great company. It’s the management/managers who makes it a nightmare. Too many chiefs. Favouritism coming from the big boss. Bullying is the culture of this place and management ONLY listen to people who are white. If your have a different skin colour, you might as well talk to the brick wall. Sooo many great staff members left because of management.
Love working here
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Casino27 February 2019
Yes at times it has been very unorganised and very challenging but they just went from being Home Care to Australian Unity and if that wasn’t hard enough they then introduced the mobile phone for us to use but in saying that our service co has done her best to keep us well informed and is there to help wherever possible. I love working where I am and would recommend to anyone.
Pros
Service co and staff listen and care for our needs as well as the clients.
Cons
Hate the mobile phone feels like your being watched
Personal Carer
Personal Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Ballarat VIC3 February 2019
As a casual the hours can be anywhere between 30 minutes or 9 hours in a day. Brilliant to meet new people who are in need of our assistance. Was a very heart warming job
Clunky Systems/poor management
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC1 February 2019
This place has such archaic systems that make life incredibly hard and inefficient. Nothing can ever get passed through, as it had to go through 10 levels of management. There is a lack of transparency throughout the whole company and all management care about it revenue. Staff are never listened to and taken advantage of - inexperienced staff tend to ascend to management positions. The company is so top heavy with management, policy and security - causing suffocation at the ground level. Not an ideal working environment to thrive and be bold!

The staff are fantastic and genuinely care about the providing great service, it's disappointing that management don't acknowledge this.
Pros
Free parking, hours
Cons
Management, IT systems, pay
Unorganised and too many chiefs
Support Worker (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Illawarra NSW25 January 2019
Unorganised from service cos to allocators. There totally confused.
Spend more money on meetings than the clients that need that extra help. High expectation of waiting on calls for work not paid on call allowances.

As a domestic no bending no stretching and no reaching how do you people clean your own home?

Good job for retirees.
Pros
Cons
Short shifts and disorganised
Horrible place
Pca (Current Employee) –  Victoria18 January 2019
Not really good place to work . Management not supportive and not value the staff . Lots of favarisom going in this place . I don’t recommend anyone to come to work here.
Just dont go there
Manager (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC17 January 2019
Good people who have other options never stay long at Australian Unity.

They will tell you that their purpose is “to help people thrive” but when you are an employee, this really does feel like a cruel joke.

On a good day you are tolerated, on a typical day you are neglected and on a bad day you will be very unsafe.

On the plus side, they pay well (they have to, given what employees have to put up with) and have a huge, fancy Christmas Party each year.

Only consider working there if you:
• Are motivated mainly by money
• Have very low expectations of your CEO and leaders
• Are happy to deliver change at a snails pace
• Are very very very VERY resilient
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Leadership, culture, Ceo
Worst place i have ever worked
Home Care Worker (Current Employee) –  NSW North Coast NSW30 December 2018
Absolutely NO support from office or case managers. Almost all shifts are cleaning. Every time you walk in the office everybody ignores you and you feel like an idiot standing there waiting for any one to notice you. Rude stressed out staff. No body cares that you work hard and get great feedback from clients. No recognition. No career advancement opportunity even though they advertise the job position as saying there is. I've never felt so unsupported in my life. I'm looking forward to getting out as quickly as I can.
Cons
summary
Customer Service & Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Melbourne VIC11 December 2018
Personally I did not enjoy working here. The work environment was very stressful and there never seemed to be any help when required. After the initial training period myself and my group got no help once we went live with taking calls
Pros
office was lean
Cons
long shifts, no parking, no help available
no morals work work work
service coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW17 November 2018
this company doesn't care about their clients only about the money coming back into the company they spent in buying the Home Care services they have killed the good name the previous company had caring this mob don't care at all
Fast paced, interactive, rewarding job oppurtunities
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Moruya NSW5 November 2018
This company just went through a massive transformation from Home Care NSW to Australian Unity.

During that shift of companies, the supervisors and line managers had to cope with so much change and many difficulties.

There were definite parts that were lacking or where we felt unorganised or that is was difficult to be heard, but that was more due to the huge influx of clients and the massive changes. The team were incredible through it all, trying to accommodate a huge team from Bega to Ulladulla and all inland to Cooma.

I am very proud to have been a part of that team and thankful for the opportunities that is has brought into my life.

They use a mobile check in app which is very efficient and makes it very easy to keep up with any changes with the client or the team.
Middle and Upper Management have no clue
Group Finance (Current Employee) –  South Melbourne2 November 2018
Middle and Upper Management have no clue and are unqualified for the job titles they have/give themselves/rename themselves which is on a regular basis - you sometimes scratch your head and go 'what do they actually do given their job title is so convoluted".

Too many strategy changes and recommendations but no action and meaningful results.

Systems are prehistoric and nobody knows where the information comes from just push push push get it out.

This organization is definitely top heavy with a lot of passengers/brown nosers who have been there for ages and actually are not qualified for the positions they are in.

Too fragmented and too many silos and an emphasis of talking the talk but not walking the walk.

When in doubt outsource it to the consultants who are more than happy to charge charge charge for advice that will never get implemented.
Pros
okay work life balance and okay pay
Cons
so many so little space to write
no good management
Care Worker (Current Employee) –  New South Wales8 October 2018
The area Management leaves a lot to be desired, bulling of the Care Workers and Service Co's and other office staff is common, by cutting work hours and refusing advancement because of their own personal dislikes , not job performance
Pros
i have a permanent position so i have guaranteed hours
Cons
too many to name
It was horrible!
Fund Accountant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC26 September 2018
Extremely busy. Management is not supportive. Senior colleague was extremely difficult to work with. The management often gets angry and were not supportive of staff.
Pros
Good monthly meeting
Cons
Extremely political.
Enjoyed the diversity of the roles and workplace
Administration Assistant / Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Nowra NSW18 September 2018
Understood and learned about compassion. Enjoyed using the technology and enjoyed sharing the experience of changing from government to private enterprise.
Not great for your mental health.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  South Melbourne VIC26 August 2018
I pushed through ad long as I could, 18 months to be precise. One day I woke up and said I can't do this anymore, so I resigned. They say the majority of Psychopaths exist in the business world, well they certainly do at Australian Unity. It is an unqualified scramble to the top, with more managements changes than a new born has a nappy changed. The culture is dog eat dog and their is no consistency or stability within various departments. Customer Service is not a priority and the pay is terrible. If you want to work for a company and learn how things are done or want to be part of a company that is market progressive, then don't work at AU. The only thing I gained was a deeper insight into what not to do.
Pros
Leaving the job.
Cons
Staying for as long as I did.
lovely clients,hopless management
Home Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Sydney Northern Suburbs NSW19 July 2018
Lovely cleints overall, management hopless, no guidance, wants you to work 24/7 and when you say you can not just roster you anyway.
Lots of travel involved outside your own area and so no payment for this and short shifts not consistent, money avaialebl , no time to get to shifts very far apart often and no time given to go to the toilet , no proper breaks given which is ellegal , if you speak up it just what the job entails.Some clients expect cleaning like a professional and expect a lot in the time frame given.
Pros
great clients
Cons
short shifts, not willing to listen to workers, management no idea how long it takes to get to some places, not enought time allowed for travel, long travel required for little shift, poorly paid
Disgraceful
Allocations (Former Employee) –  NSW South Coast NSW31 May 2018
I have worked for this company in an admin role , positives were some people in the office I worked with and the In home carers out on the road. Basically management in head office and payroll have no idea which way is up or down. They treat staff like they are absolutely nothing. I started my role to help carers in any way I could as I have done the hands on care work and wanted to make a difference even if it was small. But like all companies in this industry they do not care about the people that are the backbone to their business. Shame shame shame
Pros
Other care workers
Cons
Everything, not being paid, over worked and being treated poorly
Mailroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW15 May 2018
Again Good work ethics and a balance environment for future advancement for job opportunities.

Had a bit of misunderstanding of how the work evolves around the clock as my work completes within the time range and was paid only for the hours instead of the hours stated in my contract.

Was not happy about the work since I have relevant bills to accomodate myself with instead of holding on to this work without getting more pay to accommodate my necessities.
Pros
Cons
Less hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Australian Unity. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8