Autism Association

14: Autism Association Employee Reviews

Australia14 reviews

3.7Work–Life Balance

Fun but can be lonely job

Working at autism can be a fun Job your hours fit around your lifestyle if you want. Also it can be incredibly lonely as when with clients it’s just you and your person your supporting who may be non verbal and you don’t see other workers for days and weeks or even hear from managers for extended periods. You don’t go to office you leave home go to your client then drop them home then onto next then you go home pretty much you will never go to head office for months or longer or meet other staff. There is a lot of training at the beginning and this continues at a slower pace as you go on into the role.. with high turn over of staff and management it can be hard to make friends will colleagues as ppl constantly moving on.

Pros

Set your own week and work around your life

Cons

Lonely job not much movement for advancement

Terrible place to work

The job itself is extremely stressful and management push therapists to breaking point. Tha association is very management heavy and most high up management don't have backgrounds in Therapy so don't understand what it is like to work on the ground. Changes are never made, they send out surveys instilling hope in employees that they will make changes yet they never do. Direct seniors and line managers have very minimal life or career experience, they are unable to support young staff to develop clinical skills. They control you, from the times that your sessions can be at, when you can have lunch, when you can take leave and you have no autonomy. They promise lots of training and upskilling yet this never comes about. They recycle the same training modules over and over again and do not support you to attend external PDs.

Pros

Good team of therapists

Cons

Terrible controlling management, no opportunties for learning or career development

Very poor work conditions. See SEEK reviews,

Do not work here if you are a therapist, especially a psychologist. Toxic Management and work culture. Highest turn over of staff I have seen in my life, most people work here a year max. Poor clinical practices and supervision from non clinicians (e.g. non clinical managers) or very young clinicians (I.e. new grads) with limited experience. No professional development provided until you’ve been there a year. Only PD provides on safe work practices (e.g. how to vacuum) to avoid insurance payouts. Very poor pay, Huge workloads. Expect 12-14 hour days, with evening and weekend work. They monitor staff and record your movements. Staff not allowed to speak to each other in the offices. Pity, and the clients and families are amazing.

Pros

Clients and colleagues.

Cons

Poor conditions, low pay, long hours, toxic work environment.

Generally a good place to work.

Their restrictive practices were not in favour of staff safety and wellbeing, considering the clients behaviours. The roster is great, so long as you don't have young kids, or pets.

Pros

Great roster

Cons

Some clients exhibit dangerous behaviours.

The Autism Association was once a fantastic place to work

Belonging to a strong team was great. The turn around in management and systems were questionable. Clients and families were fantastic to work with and for. My job was once a pleasure to go to each day. Just knowing you were making a difference in someone's life was worth going to work for.

Productive and fun place to work

I thoroughly enjoyed working at Autism Association Of WA. I had a great team jt was a small team of people working together to obtain funds for the organisation. The CEO and supervisor were flexible and were great to work for. It was a great learning experience. I have I felt good knowing that I was contributing to a worthy cause.

Pros

Good team, great organisation and sometimes cakes and sandwiches.

Cons

It was evening work

Fun worl place

I enjoyed working as a support worker, supporting clients with their daily needs. Experiences with working with a diversity of clients, meeting and working with staff members.

Pros

Training offered

Fun and inviting environment

Highly collaborative and multidisciplinary team. Modern facilities and resources. Equipped health professionals. Great holiday programs. Good support of staff.

Support Aid. Social worker.

Assisting clients with day to day activities, in the home and community, enriching their lives and helping them to achieve their life goals.

fun, challenging but rewarding

I worked with the Autism Assoc for 4 years and enjoyed the team and the work, Awesome rosters, great pay, access to training and individual programmes, tailored to the specific client

I have gained a lot of knowledge at this job

I follow the goals and instructions planned by the therapists, to assist individuals on the spectrum improve their independent living skills I have learnt much about the disability sector and different mental health problems and the ways in which I can provide help and support to the clients there is a positive workplace culture in the association and great management The hardest part of job was memorising the specific games and activities each client was interested/expected to do, so for the first few weeks I used to go through the client's files prior to each shift to refresh my memory. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is the fact I am able to make a difference and help individuals with disabilities learn and practice independent living skills

Pros

making a positive different in people's lives;on-going support and trainings

Cons

short hours, lack of job security

A good company to work for

I have only worked for the Autism Association for a short as a casual, I plan to stay working for them . but I am interseted in also working for Kincare

Pros

flexibility

Cons

not always long enough shifts

Experience in this field

Working as a support worker for the Autism Association can be stressful, however very rewarding. Patience and a great deal of understanding is required for this position.I have learnt how clients with Autism associate with life in general.Management are very supportive and understand not only the clients needs but also the staff needs.My co-workers are all empathetic, understanding and nurturing to all clients.The hardest part of the job is to have the ability to hold mental clearness during the time of working with the clients.The most enjoyable part of the job is that you gain a trust from the clients, understanding, empthy, getting to know the clients on a personal level.

Pros

salary sacrificing.

Cons

being away from home for 2.5 days a week

Lovely

A great place to work with great people working with fantastic individuals

Pros

teaches you humility

Cons

pay is not flash

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Autism Association. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Learn about Autism Association in popular locations