BAE Systems Employee Reviews

Defence Contractor (Former Employee) –  South West Sydney NSW6 April 2018
BAESystems was a great place to work in defence contracting.
The staff were happen and productive. unfortunately they last a Government contract and relocated to South Australia.
Pros
company shares
Cons
closed in Sydney
Work Experience
SUPERMARKET SALES ASSISTANT ROMEO'S FOODLAND (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh SA24 November 2017
Typical day at work: professional yet fairly relaxed environment, consisted mainly of disassembling the electronic components of various missile systems and running calibrations and environmental testing using specialized machines. Reports on each part tested were completed and forwarded onto management before reassembling the electronics and sending them back to the armed forces.

What I learned: teamwork was extremely important, as each team member was a specialist with a different role. Communication and prioritizing tasks were very valuable skills to grasp very quickly in order to meet the tight deadlines imposed by the higher up managers and the clients: the armed forces.

Management: admittedly not much experience with management, although one boss I did meet was a fairly sensible and well mannered

Workplace culture: since teamwork was important, pretty much everyone had to get along really well in order to maximise efficiency. Workplace culture was that of a professional electronics laboratory, but was fairly relaxed as when the calibration and testing machines were started up, there generally wasn't a whole lot of work to do unless some electronics were found to be faulty.

Hardest part: possibly the hours that I attended, as I started every day at 6 am, and it was an hour's drive up there.

Most enjoyable part: getting along with the team and learning about electronics and how they are applied in automated systems.
Pros
Great working environment
Watch your back daily !!!
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Henderson WA7 November 2017
If you like being bent like a pretzel,
While being upside down using a tiny torch to see from stores with no fresh ventilation,(unlike Tag out that hide in the AC)
Yes u GARY
Surrounded by noise.dust.Anti-foul paint fumes in the air
and on your cars in the car park then this is the place for you.
Oh don`t forget no appreciation but your wage from Supervision while they get the spotlight time and time again.

SAD.:(
Pros
Free Parking
Cons
Management dont listen to workforce
Toxic culture despite some good people
Manufacturing then Support roles (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA13 October 2017
Worked there for 21 years in various roles, and ended up in a support function.
Initially the work was interesting and I got to work on many types of defence equipment in manufacturing teams. BAE decided to leave the manufacturing game and win Prime contracts, and this is where BAE always seems to bite off more than it can chew. They always underbid then drive teams extremely hard to achieve impossible schedules. In such contract environments, bullies are not only welcomed but promoted. Middle management was populated with this type of alpha male, and I had several clashes with management who were professionally and personally bullying me, in one case over a period of years.
In my experience BAE has an extremely dubious ethical and legal compass. If you're comfortable with that, and you can fit in with the boy's club, you could do well.
Pros
Some excellent people despite the culture
Cons
If you don't find a place in the boy's club, you'll struggle to succeed.
You are employed only as long the companies contract
Hardware Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh SA27 June 2017
Management seems very divorced from the workings of most projects. There is a lot of cynicism around this. Those who work at the coal face are very talented and supportive. Unfortunately managers aren't interested in developing employees and without management support, you are unlikely to be given tasks that develop your experience and allow you to grow.
A good place to work...Interesting projects.
Senior Technical Illustrator Lead (Former Employee) –  Williamstown VIC9 June 2017
Positive: I worked at BAE Williamstown for 10 years...i was the Senior illustrator lead on the Delos Oiler Project.....Protector....LHD and some input into ANZAC......very interesting products to illustrate.....i feel privileged to have worked on these projects.

Negative: The strange mid management culture...it was a shame to see lazy non involved personnel get promoted to prominent positions....mates rates.
very happy to be away from that.
i was 60 when i was re-trenched 2 years ago but i have successfully found illustrating work as a self employed contractor commercial and defence.
Pros
interesting projects
Cons
very difficult place to get on if you are not ex service.
Good Hours
A Grade Electrician (Former Employee) –  Henderson WA31 May 2017
All in all enjoyed my time there till the supervision in electrical changed to be Who you know not What you know.
Will sacrifice workers to save there own skin.
Pros
Exciting Work Base
Cons
The back stabbing that goes on within the Electrical section
Great Place To Work
Production Administrator (Former Employee) –  Williamstown VIC26 April 2017
I worked for BAE Systems for 14 years. Everyone there was helpful and friendly, but unfortunately I was Retrenched. I was treated well while I was there and had it not been for the retrenchment I would have worked there until I retired. Some of my friends still work there and I miss them dearly. I would go back at the drop of a hat, it's the best job I ever had.
Pros
People are friendly and helpful. Hours easy to work with.
Cons
Their work is dependent on contracts, no contracts - no work.
Play footy with workmates
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Perth WA13 February 2017
It was a good company to work for and I balance beteween work and family and we would have time for rviewing the company performance on Toolbox meetings
Pros
They provide free tea breaks
Cons
The element of people knowing each othere out of work for you to stay on the job
Not reliable
Storeperson (Former Employee) –  Raaf base amberley18 January 2017
Made entirely of useless boss avoid at all cost made everyone redundant and lost the defense contract to linfox who only hired a handful of people
Pros
Non
great work environment
Boilermaker (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC9 January 2017
great work environment and conditions combined with a well educated senior management team that proved successful in producing quality ship hulls for the navy.
Comfortable workplace with helpful co-workers.
Trade Assistant (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA6 January 2017
Complex, but comfortable. Requires attention to detail to ensure finished product always meets quality standards. Co-workers are highly trained and helpful.
new adventures
Auxillary Firefighter for Tamworth (Former Employee) –  Tamworth NSW15 December 2016
Everyday was different and working to see new students progress through a tough schooling on flying.New training and ideas with the crew who listen.
Pros
enjoyment
Cons
hot days in fire suit
Interesting job
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rockingham WA9 December 2016
Work place is busy and interesting
Learned about maintenance engineering and supervision
management local managers are really hard to relate to
Most co workers are excellent
hardest part of the job was BAE made so many redundancies
Pros
good work environment
Cons
job security
A challenging task working in defence
Piping Supervisor - Maritime / LHD & ASMD Project (Current Employee) –  Henderson WA17 October 2016
Manage team budget, timekeeping. Meets client expectation weekly meeting to discuss progress and DE conflict issue.

Gain respect from working colleagues & co-workers

The hardest part is when drawing revision change & meeting very tight schedules.

The most enjoying part of the job is coordinating with all department meeting budget,schedules.& team work.
Good people to work with.
Boilermaker/Leading Hand (Former Employee) –  Henderson WA21 September 2016
I worked for BAE for four and a half years.
I spent over 2 years there as a Leading hand so I got a good feel of how management works there.
A lot of the time I found it very challenging due to poor management I had to take allot of other peoples jobs on that they would not do.
I enjoyed the people there and made some good friends however I did not enjoy working there after four years.
Pros
Wages and benifits
Cons
One the best company's I've worked with.
apprentice boiler maker (Former Employee) –  Williamstown VIC1 September 2016
The management was fantastic we were always told about what going on around the country and the world at all the different sites BAE has and I guess what made the great place to work was the great people who worked there it was a real family friendly work place I would recommend BAE systems to everyone who's looking to work in the defence industry.
Pros
Working in state of art facilities
Cons
No cons to mention.
A great work environment where we are involved in detailed skilled work
Electrical project manager (Current Employee) –  Henderson WA17 August 2016
BAE are a great company to work for . The company has opportunities for advancement, has a training department which gets involved with the team. Communication between the trade groups has really improved since i started with the company.
Great team, excellent line managers
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Garden Island NSW26 July 2016
Employer: BAE Systems Australia (Garden Island, NSW)
Length of tenure: approximately 3 years

Great team, very open and welcoming.
Team leaders are accomodating and easy to talk to.
Excellent work-life balance.
Professional opportunities and team development.
Manager (Former Employee) –  South Australia5 July 2016
BAE Systems provides great opportunities for professional development, encouraging individuals and teams. Due to the nature of works, project teams work closely with the support of management to achieve the company goals.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BAE Systems. Our community is ready to answer.

51K