BAE Systems
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

BAE Systems Culture reviews

Line managers are not always certain how to incorporate top level decisions into local teams. Safety culture was exemplary, business platforms were sometimes cross managed with client based.
Best company I have worked for, supportive culture of management which drives sustainability & continuation in a genuine attempt to find solutions and better ways of progressing current practices. (Not just a company with a few 'zero' slogans and dot point cardinal company values to recite)
Pros
Fantastic work/life balance & flexibility.
Cons
Can get the odd loose nut in management occasionally and a bit soft on underwhelming employees
great place to work friendly and good people to work with and plenty of learning opportunities.The opportunity to apply for different jobs internally. A good workplace culture also the management are very helpful with their guidance. the hardest part of job was time management in getting work finished on time but this could be a number of different areas not having there part in the process finished on time. the most enjoyable part of the job was having good people to work alongside of you . I learned a lot of different jobs also which further helped my position 97 a typical day at work was to try and plan your day and what you wanted to achieve that outcome as well as liaise with different areas if they needed any particular jobs completed and the passed onto them. Also it was a good learning place as there would be different situations arise that you had not dealt with so this was a good learning curve as well.
Outstanding company. Safe and good work environment. Family friendly co-workers . Best flexibility. Overall it is one of the best companies in Australia.
Good collaborative work culture in Adelaide Head Office. Supportive Management. Internal growth opportunities. Challenged to learn & grow. Very enjoyable.
Negative Future. Negative work culture. Failure to compete with competitors. No Job security. Incompetence in all the local management (Henderson). Governed by the principles of discrimination (favoritism). the Managers favorite (no consideration of merit) will get the job or promotion. Manipulation of data and records to cheat the existing ratings and accreditation of possible audits.
Pros
Cons
Many
Toxic work culture. Top management do not know what they are supposed to do (In Henderson site). Immediate managers are just trying to survive at any cost so they may have a plan to get rid of you in future.
BAE was a great place to work with great people. Everyday was something new and interesting with many challenges and a positive attitude toward getting things done.
Where flexible working is encouraged, senior management really aren't leaders and job satisfaction and fulfilment is low. At the moment it's peter to pay paul to fill roles and a lot of the time they're unsuitable. It's hard to stay motivated when your team are not engaging and supportive.
Great Team and Great place to work Only left because I wanted to move to Queensland and an opportunity came up, The management team where great and mostly ex defence.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Hard to find any
Great team of like minded trainers to learn from and collaborate with. Had the chance to fly overseas to do training on ships that we were building. would work for this company again.
Pros
travel
Cons
distance to work
Great guys to work with at ground level Bad culture developed over many years with the next level up Full time work is now replaced with contractors Company is too top heavy
A typical day at work for me is a busy day with flexible hours and a safe environment shared by all employees and customers and to enjoy my workplace with both the job and fellow workers. I have a large range of skills which include property and vehicle maintenance which includes a skill level with power and other tools. I have been in the management roles in previous employment and understand the pressures and demands placed on the individuals in such positions. Workplace culture is not understood by some but needs to be followed for a balanced workplace.The hardest part of any job is not becoming complacent with your role as a employee i.e. surrounds, nature of work etc.The most enjoyable part of a job is having a job that you enjoy and learning new skills along with meeting new people.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
people not understading diversity in the workplace
Typical day at work: professional yet fairly relaxed environment, consisted mainly of disassembling the electronic components of various missile systems and running calibrations and environmental testing using specialized machines. Reports on each part tested were completed and forwarded onto management before reassembling the electronics and sending them back to the armed forces. What I learned: teamwork was extremely important, as each team member was a specialist with a different role. Communication and prioritizing tasks were very valuable skills to grasp very quickly in order to meet the tight deadlines imposed by the higher up managers and the clients: the armed forces. Management: admittedly not much experience with management, although one boss I did meet was a fairly sensible and well mannered Workplace culture: since teamwork was important, pretty much everyone had to get along really well in order to maximise efficiency. Workplace culture was that of a professional electronics laboratory, but was fairly relaxed as when the calibration and testing machines were started up, there generally wasn't a whole lot of work to do unless some electronics were found to be faulty. Hardest part: possibly the hours that I attended, as I started every day at 6 am, and it was an hour's drive up there. Most enjoyable part: getting along with the team and learning about electronics and how they are applied in automated systems.
Pros
Great working environment
Worked there for 21 years in various roles, and ended up in a support function. Initially the work was interesting and I got to work on many types of defence equipment in manufacturing teams. BAE decided to leave the manufacturing game and win Prime contracts, and this is where BAE always seems to bite off more than it can chew. They always underbid then drive teams extremely hard to achieve impossible schedules. In such contract environments, bullies are not only welcomed but promoted. Middle management was populated with this type of alpha male, and I had several clashes with management who were professionally and personally bullying me, in one case over a period of years. In my experience BAE has an extremely dubious ethical and legal compass. If you're comfortable with that, and you can fit in with the boy's club, you could do well.
Pros
Some excellent people despite the culture
Cons
If you don't find a place in the boy's club, you'll struggle to succeed.
Positive: I worked at BAE Williamstown for 10 years...i was the Senior illustrator lead on the Delos Oiler Project.....Protector....LHD and some input into ANZAC......very interesting products to illustrate.....i feel privileged to have worked on these projects. Negative: The strange mid management culture...it was a shame to see lazy non involved personnel get promoted to prominent positions....mates rates. very happy to be away from that. i was 60 when i was re-trenched 2 years ago but i have successfully found illustrating work as a self employed contractor commercial and defence.
Pros
interesting projects
Cons
very difficult place to get on if you are not ex service.
Manage team budget, timekeeping. Meets client expectation weekly meeting to discuss progress and DE conflict issue. Gain respect from working colleagues & co-workers The hardest part is when drawing revision change & meeting very tight schedules. The most enjoying part of the job is coordinating with all department meeting budget,schedules.& team work.
The management was fantastic we were always told about what going on around the country and the world at all the different sites BAE has and I guess what made the great place to work was the great people who worked there it was a real family friendly work place I would recommend BAE systems to everyone who's looking to work in the defence industry.
Pros
Working in state of art facilities
Cons
No cons to mention.
BAE Systems provides great opportunities for professional development, encouraging individuals and teams. Due to the nature of works, project teams work closely with the support of management to achieve the company goals.
great place , awesome defense projects , opportunities to improve ones self, great support teams, excellent OHS support, great place to grow unfortunately the yard is being mothballed because of no defense work in shipbuilding for this state
Pros
work life balance, onsite project work
Cons
politics
To acchieve what tasks were to be completed for the day. Being part of the heavy lift team there was always something new to be learnt, ect dual lifts, transportation of heavy loads. Management and co-workers,very good. The hardest part of the job was wondering when we were going to be finished up. The most enjoyable part of the job was the conditions we worked in.
Pros
Good Conditions
Cons
Never knowing when we would be finishing up.