Bakers Delight
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Bakers Delight Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

3.6Work–Life Balance

Horrible pay but fun environment

For such a large company I don't know how they get away with paying so little, and my store was one of the better paying stores! Tasks aren't too difficult but very easy to get many little invisible cuts on your hands every shift. Manager did not care about staff and played favourites. Pretty fun during a rush and lots of opportunity to have chats with your workmates when it calms down. The uniform is so ugly and the new one isn't much of an improvement. Best part is taking home anything you want on a close!

Pros

Free food, nice people

Cons

Bad pay, uniform, management

good workplace, kind co-workers

while the work can be considered boring and repetitive, especially the cleaning (which younger staff generally do more of compared to older staff), there is generally always something to do if you want to pass the time. whether you enjoy the job is very dependent on your specific manager and whether they comply with legal obligations and are understanding, but the job itself is easy (but fast-paced). pay is good if the manager follows the wage they are meant to, and free food is a huge bonus. co-workers are lovely. customers can be nit-picky and rude which can get frustrating, but there are lovely ones too

Pros

free food

Cons

inconsistent treatment of workers across different franchises

Sales assistant: Great employees, everyone is so friendly. However EVERYTHING ELSE IS TERRIBLE.

The actual job is really simple and straightforward, and as said the other coworkers are really lovely and fun to be around. HOWEVER; pay is TERRIBLE, like shouldn't be legal. There are no penalty/weekend rates. You don't get public holiday rates despite being open every day except Christmas day. There is 0 opportunity for any advancement. Boss takes advantage of employees getting them to bank money, deliver things between multiple stores outside of shift times without pay. Shifts are only ever 3-4 hours long. The boss never responds to emails or messages, when I quit they didn't even send an email back in response. You have to pay full price for any bread you want (no free buns or loaves). There are inconsistencies among staff in regards to pay, (one 18 year old would be getting 50cents less then another). The boss puts everyone on part-time contract to avoid paying casual rates. So you DO get holiday leave accrue and sick leave. However the number of hours you're guaranteed is 12hours a month....Just don't even bother applying.

Pros

Holiday leave accrue, friendly coworkers, easy work. Good if you're still in school as the latest you will work is 7:30pm.

Cons

Short shifts, TERRIBLE pay, no penalty rates, no free bread, pay inconsistencies, terrible management, so much is wrong with the store.

Gross

Working for this company literally made my mental heath sooo much worse... Just a nasty dreadful yucky place to work! Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible

The people there are very rude and judgemental

For the first 3 weeks I worked there I was outside of the store and handing out tasters, I wasn’t given a break and would keep handing out taste testers from 4pm-9pm, they weren’t considerate of the fact that I also had school and I was barely even given any shifts. The people that walked past the store would see me standing outside giving out tasters and would take them out of pity, the manager wasn’t even at the store and i wasn’t even given a proper orientation, it was just straight to the taste testers. The worst part of it all is the fact that after a few months of working at the store I was fired because of my age. I was 14 and honestly if they had a problem with my age they shouldn’t have hired me at all. They also discriminated me because of the colour of my skin and made me feel like an outcast. Working here was horrible, please don’t make the same mistake

Cons

Terrible management

A productive, collaborative workplace with a healthy and positive teamwork environment. Bakers Delight encourages all workers to work on their communication skills and their confidence in order to excel in the working environment.

Good first job

Good and easy going first job. Good working place to learn about basic customer service skills in a supportive environment. Co-workers are always friendly.

great work place and co workers, bad pay and management

good place to first work, and great coworkers. the pay is not good when your'e starting out in high school, told it gets better. management doesn't really care about their workers. you get free bread which is always a bonus. lots of cleaning and mopping when you are not serving customers.

Wouldn't recommend if you need a job to pay the bills

Being casual you can have weeks without being rostered on. They mass hired a bunch of school kids so hours were not divided equally. There was a lot of favouritism. The worst part about the job was when you had to take a plate of food testers around the front of the store. You couldn't come back until the plate was empty which would sometimes take ages. The job itself was easy and would have been a lot more enjoyable if the management wasn't so poor.

I enjoyed the customer service aspect this job role offered.

Interacting with customers was my favorite part about working at Bakers Delight as well as providing quality products for customers enjoyment. I also enjoyed having a systematic approach to my work style. As a first job, it satisfied my needs.

Great co workers

balance of cleaning store and serving customers, merchandising is key. learned about customer service and how to deal with conflicts in different situations

Good

bakers delights are franchises so it depends on the manager of each store but mine, she is a harda** but all in all she is a good boss the bread is good, i was allowed to eat on the job hours are good sometimes but not other times, depends on manager have made lifelong friends from working there the environment is very relaxed most of the times slicing bread is not scary uniform is a bit ugly but the apron covers you up so its fine

boring

The management at bakers delight Buderim is horrible. Everyone was constantly bullied by the owners, they belittled other staff members, and made coming to work a nightmare.

good first job

good for students in high school, some senior staff can be harsh on the young ones. easy when you get the hang of it. enjoyable shifts, free bread, overall good!

Pros

free bread

Fast paced work environment

It is a fast paced work environment. Never a dull or boring moment while working, and there is always something to do. It's a positive work environment, with friendly people.

Good teamwork and communication skills

At Bakers Delight in Norwest there are times where the shop can get crazy because it is a busy shopping centre but it was easily managed through teamwork with my accompanied staff member. I have learnt how to handle stressful and busy periods, how to keep my surroundings clean and eye-catching etc. The store and it's staff are extremely friendly and is a very safe, happy and comforting environment. The hardest experience I have gone through is trying to communicate with customers who are unable to say a word of English, when challenges like this came up I did my best to satisfy and follow the hand gestures of the customer. My favourite part of my job is the environment I am surrounded by and also keeping the store looking clean and organised as it attracts customers which gives me the opportunity to learn more from each customer.

productive and fun workplace

bakers delight is a comfortable work environment. The best part about the Job is getting to know the customers and the hardest part is getting to know the prices and names of all of the products.

Fun and full of learning workplace

The days go by fast as their is plenty to do. I learned much about food handling and bakers equiptment while also growing my learning on food and money handling. Fun place to work, not too busy but stressful at times.

Pros

Get to take home free bread after shifts, time and a half on weekends.

Cons

Same thing everyday

Amazing

One of the best jobs I’ve had so far, really easy to learn and a team full of friendly staff and quite a relaxed job. Would be more than happy to work there again

Talking is easy

Work is a little stressful in a way, one of the bosses goes in my bag without asking me, the job is easy but being a senior is stressful. They have favorite co workers if your not one then you don't get shifts.

Great co-workers

Overall, the work culture is wonderful. My coworkers have been lovely, but the managers/bosses don't pay you right and when you speak up about it they give you less shifts. they also start fading you out when you become "too expensive" because you're not a high school student anymore. This may not be at all Baker's Delights, but this was my experience at the one in Stanhope Gardens.

Pros

Free food

Cons

No breaks, bare minimum shifts if you speak up, unstable super.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bakers Delight. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Bakers Delight