Bakers Delight
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Bakers Delight Pay & Benefits reviews

Clear
3.6Work–Life Balance
3.1Pay & Benefits

Great work, bad management

Work was decent yet the managers are horrible. Didn’t let me swap shifts. Paid me Saturday rates on a public holiday. Least i’ve ever been paid in a job. Treated me unfairly. Didn’t pay overtime at all. Only met my boss twice in the 7 months i worked there. I got 6 hours in a month on part time rates. Rosters often came out quite late. Minimum of 6 hours to get a break (unpaid).

Pros

Free bread, Nice customers, Friendly co-workers, Relaxed environment

Cons

Lots of cleaning, Bad pay, No breaks, Bad management

Easy environment, bad pay

The environment of working at Bakers Delight was great. Working one-on-one with others was a great way to make connections and friends within the workplace. The environment is relaxed unless it is a peak-hour time, such as midday on a weekend. It can get a bit stressful as it takes generally longer to get through customers while trying to slice bread as well. The hours are flexible as we had a sheet we could cross our days off with. The pay was terrible. It was flat-rate (including public holidays) for under $13/hr. If you had full availability, if you were a "valuable" worker you would get decent shifts, if not... too bad. Management was okay, head office check in monthly for promotional training, but that's pretty much it. It was a very easy first job, but I would not recommend working there if you need a salary to live off...

Pros

Free bread after closing hours

Cons

Terrible flat-rate pay

Sales assistant: Great employees, everyone is so friendly. However EVERYTHING ELSE IS TERRIBLE.

The actual job is really simple and straightforward, and as said the other coworkers are really lovely and fun to be around. HOWEVER; pay is TERRIBLE, like shouldn't be legal. There are no penalty/weekend rates. You don't get public holiday rates despite being open every day except Christmas day. There is 0 opportunity for any advancement. Boss takes advantage of employees getting them to bank money, deliver things between multiple stores outside of shift times without pay. Shifts are only ever 3-4 hours long. The boss never responds to emails or messages, when I quit they didn't even send an email back in response. You have to pay full price for any bread you want (no free buns or loaves). There are inconsistencies among staff in regards to pay, (one 18 year old would be getting 50cents less then another). The boss puts everyone on part-time contract to avoid paying casual rates. So you DO get holiday leave accrue and sick leave. However the number of hours you're guaranteed is 12hours a month....Just don't even bother applying.

Pros

Holiday leave accrue, friendly coworkers, easy work. Good if you're still in school as the latest you will work is 7:30pm.

Cons

Short shifts, TERRIBLE pay, no penalty rates, no free bread, pay inconsistencies, terrible management, so much is wrong with the store.

Productive and informative place to work, great for gaining skills in customer service.

Bakers Delight is a great job to have as a year 10 student. They have flexible hours and lovely employees, however, I found that after a few months of working there as a junior I was only getting around one shift a week and found I wasn't making the amount of income I needed. As I am working a part-time job and that of a younger employee, I would assume the salary I am making is because of my age so, if you are a student looking for a first job, I would highly suggest Bakers Delight.

Okay workplace

Bakers Delight was an okay place to work at. The benefits include being able to take the bread not bought during the day home but the management could be much better.

great work place and co workers, bad pay and management

good place to first work, and great coworkers. the pay is not good when your'e starting out in high school, told it gets better. management doesn't really care about their workers. you get free bread which is always a bonus. lots of cleaning and mopping when you are not serving customers.

Good people, not very good pay

Overall, my experience at Baker's Delight has been great! Everyone is so nice and easy to work with. It's a fairly relaxing job and doesn't come across as stressful. The only negative thing I have to say would be the pay. With a minimum wage, and limited hours, I myself as a University student who drives a fair bit for both work and university often come across the issue that money sometimes can be a bit tight. It is hard to save money for the future when most of my weekly pay ends up going towards my car with petrol, insurance and registration all being from my own pocket.

good first job

good for students in high school, some senior staff can be harsh on the young ones. easy when you get the hang of it. enjoyable shifts, free bread, overall good!

Pros

free bread

One of the worst experiences of my life.

Do not work here. The people are mind-numbing and there is no chance of future progression. The hours are obscene but the pay is actually alright. If you like 12 hour shifts every day starting at 1am for 24 dollars an hour go ahead!

Pros

Decent Pay

Cons

Obscene Hours, Bad Workplace Culture, Peer Pressure

Great co-workers

Overall, the work culture is wonderful. My coworkers have been lovely, but the managers/bosses don't pay you right and when you speak up about it they give you less shifts. they also start fading you out when you become "too expensive" because you're not a high school student anymore. This may not be at all Baker's Delights, but this was my experience at the one in Stanhope Gardens.

Pros

Free food

Cons

No breaks, bare minimum shifts if you speak up, unstable super.

Jobs at Bakers Delight

See more jobs

unhygienic, poor management, horrible pay, wouldnt recommend to anyone

I have not received a shift in 9 weeks, the owners are poor, they never respond to my emails or messages, when my pay increases due to my age they never increase my pay straight away until i text them and keep urging them to change the rate of my pay.

fun

friendly workplace that is easy to adjust to and make new friends. balanced workload and flexible hours. fair salary and organised shifts and tasks that need to be completed are manageable.

slow working and unfair

it was very slow working and it would take a long time to clean and get the food ready as everyone took their time. the pay was unfair and often wouldn't get paid on time

Fun work place, easy for a first job

As much as I love working here, you can only go so far and I feel I’ve outgrown the place as my sole job, I’d Love a change. If I can keep working there over summer that would be ideal also. Having the two jobs would greatly benefit me.

Pros

Free bread for staff and lovely environment.

Cons

Being paid minimum wage as an adult.

Easy, enjoyable work.

Worked there for 4 years it was fun, learnt heaps of stuff. The money is good, decent hours, work life balance perfect. Wanted progression, got to Senior Sales Assistant that's it.

Pros

Free food at the end of the day, was fun

Cons

Was told there would be job advancement but it never happened

very good job, bad management strategies and salary

you get free bread because of the low pay, long hours shift go really fast, fast pace can get a bit tension between the workers, really fun helping the customers

Being a baker is a reliable trade, however it use to compensate the workers for their horrible working hours.

Bakers use to be paid a higher rate to entice them to work difficult hours but now they get the same if not less than other jobs that do not have to live such a conflicting lifestyle.

Pros

early finish

Cons

long hours, hard on body, low pay, unorthodox working times

Avoid unless you want to be screwed around

I am baffled by the high-ish score of the reviews of this place. Worked there four and half years and experienced nothing but frustration. The only good things about the job were the people I worked with and the customers. Good luck though if you expect to be paid minimum wage / laundry, want to have good communication between yourself and your employer, and the upkeep of minimal occupational health and safety requirements.

Pros

Free bread after shifts, good colleagues

Cons

Not getting paid correctly time and time again, poor organisation of rosters, risks to health

Good working environment

People who work there are really friendly, never had an issue with any of them. When I was sick I was expected to find a younger girl to cover my shift and if there was no younger girl I was told that my boss would pay them my salary and I would have to pay them the rest from MY OWN money. The environment itself was very hot and at times i found it quite hard to breathe.

Fun to work at, good staff

- I gained heaps of work experience since it was my first job. - I get to take hope 6-10 dollars worth of food. - Work is really easy - Interacting with new people makes work better

Pros

Free food

Cons

Not many hours

Becoming a baker at Baker's Delight is like becoming a chef and working at McDonalds.

Wasted 10 years working for Baker's Delight. Was lucky to work for some great franchisees and got paid above award rate, but still wasn't enough. For nightshift and the fact that you're qualified, you're nothing but cheap labour. Baker's have to constantly serve customers and will be given the usual bulls..t excuse, that's what the customers like and they're the ones paying your salary, when it's just the franchisees saving money by not hiring more sales staff. If considering Baker's Delight for a career, seriously re-evaluate. Study pattiserie or go independent and become a real baker.

Pros

Meet some great co workers and franchisees.

Cons

Everything else.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bakers Delight. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Bakers Delight