Bank of Melbourne
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Bank of Melbourne Employee Reviews

Australia13 reviews
Enjoyed working and especially interacting with customers and helping them with their day to day financial needs. Worked with like minded people. Career advance opportunities are their for people that work really hard.
Bank Of Melbourne thrive on being the peoples Bank and are very focus on Customer Service.
I would say that in some Regions that Management Teams would need to be reviewed as progression for experienced staff is unlikely if you don't abide by the Management Style they believe is correct .

If you are an experienced Banker with great Financial knowledge the clients will hold onto you as your experience is essential for a smaller institution.
Pros
Appealing Offices
Cons
Manual Systems
Was responsible for a number of key roles within the group reporting directly to the Vic / Tas State Manager assisting in areas as required across all function to ensure effective operation within the Automotive division.I enjoyed the interaction with all parts of the business assisting in resolution of any challenges presented.
My job at Bank of Melbourne was a temporary one with one shift (volunteered) and was basically me handing out flyers and assisting customers when they had an enquiry.
Pros
Free food and beverages
Cons
The tent was small and it was peak summer
Great place that allowed me to establish my self in sales environment, great perks and opened myself to sales management and more senior roles, have allowed myself to be ready for next step in employment
Professional Environment in business finance industry.

I was a credit analyst at the Bank of Melbourne working mainly in the Commercial Banking department dealing mainly with business customers.

I also worked as a customer service officer at branch level for about three months.
normally 8:30am-5:45pm but contract states 5:15pm. No overtime ever paid. Don't even ask for it!
Hard to push for homeloans and credit cards when the main people around the branch were either homeless and unemployed or had drug/alcohol addictions. Everything is about the bottom dollar no matter what management tells you.

The staff are all extremely friendly and approachable and willing to help but once you ask management for any help, it stops there. Rely on your peers. Not any higher.
Pros
weekends and public holidays off
Cons
no overtime and no thanks. Management not willing to train.
Toxic culture, where the internal processes are held as more important than clients- Career development determined by ability to 'manage up' and 'brown nosing'
Pros
Cons
Toxic culture
The people at least some of them are just marvelous. There is a bit of internal politics going on especially if your manager is on a secondment and is trying to move up the pecking order. It lacked the transparency that I hoped it might have where there is constant feedback of your progress instead of out of the blue slugging it at you one fine day.
Pros
Positive culture
Cons
If you are a bit of a slow learner then there is no margin for training provided
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Bank of Melbourne?
Typical day was good, the day had its peak of customers but also its quiet times, I've never met workers who are so enthusiastic about what they do whilst having so much fun,
co-workers are so welcoming, the Managers are of top grade!

The hardest part was working under pressure during peak times when lots of customers came through,

most enjoyable time was helping out a customer and watching them leave with a smile on their face!
Pros
Great working environment
A great company to work for.

You don't get many jobs like these where you are actually happy to come to work everyday. Work colleagues all worked together and we bonded well as a team.

There wasn't that gap between management and staff that you see in a lot of workplaces. Management were always on the floor and working along side us. Great to see and gave you a sense of stability and comfort. They were very approachable and great to work with.
Good positive place to work.

I left this position to move onto Esso for career advancement.

I was promoted fairly quickly from Loans Officer to Loans Supervisor where I managed a team of Loans Officers.
Pros
Job security & excellent training
Cons
No where to go for career advaneement
Set up computer and money, security checks, cash ordering, staff meeting.
Serving customers on front counter

Everyday their is something new to learn due to changes in policies, either bank or government regulations.

Branch manager is very supportive and considerate of the staff needs.

Very good working environment at the branch. All get along very well and have fun together as well as being supportive of each other with work.

Selling products is the part i don't like .

Most enjoyable part of the job is the customers and being able to help them
Pros
very supportive group to work with.
Cons
being part time