Bank of Queensland

Bank of Queensland Employee Reviews

Australia69 reviews

3.3Work–Life Balance

Lots of learning and a great place to start your career

Good place to start your career. Good support overall from my managers. But I was just lucky. I do not really agree the higher level management decisions.

Pros

Good team, learning

Cons

Under resourced

Great place to work.

I was employed as a casual, I never had a problem with my direct manager or any other staff at management level.I worked at night scanning cheques and I had all the support I needed.

Cons

Short hours great work life balance.

Great work mates, old technology, low salary

Amazing people to work with. All nice and supportive.Really low salary and no uniform offered by the bank if working for OM. OM and banch staff pays for the most things out of the pocket. Not sure how corporate branch does it. Old technologies & slow systems compare to ANY BANK ( not just 5 Big banks).

No work life balance /poor culture

Worst place I have ever worked, constant turnover of staff and management - expected to work excessive hours with no reward or even thanks shown by senior management. No consistent direction or leadership shown by senior management

Cons

Long hours, extremely high turnover rates, constantly changing management direction

A loose collection of branches with great local people burdened with fractured leadership and led by contractors looking to make a fast buck

The branch and front line staff make you feel like you are dealing with a boutique bank but the central office is led by people trying to make a buck by signing off short sighted decisions and passing blame resulting in antiquated support systems, fragmented IT infrastructure and ill equipped workforce and a pervasive toxic culture

Shortage of staff, expected to do more outside your job description with no support. No transparency!

Shortage of staff, expected to do more outside your job description with no support or recognition No transparency!No family work life balance when it comes to supporting working mums. When I put in my resignation manager didn't even try to find an alternative to try keep me.

Great place to work.

Lots of opportunities, good culture, great modern office. Many teams are split between Brisbane Melbourne and Sydney, so interstate opportunities may be available.

Pros

Great office

Expectations set quite high, not enough support from management

Unrealistic targets and expectations too high.Support from Managers and management or HR is not that great.Induction training is not very thorough.

Pros

Great office premises

Cons

Long hours and work load quite high, low staffed.

A reliable place to work.

I enjoyed working at BOQ during a large period of growth. I was valued, my coworkers all got along with each other and were able to meet realistic targets.

Pros

Team environment

Cons

No healthcare

Very poor culture and company to work for

I would not recommend this company as either an employee or a customer . Majority of the senior leaders including general manager level are tas masters abd micro managers.

Pros

Absolutely no pros

Cons

Expected long hours with no pay

Best not to work here, if you don’t have to...

Hired to work in their contact centre without an interview. 4 weeks into the job and they still “didn’t have a plan” for where they were placing us within the business. Trainers tell staff to refer to their managers. New employees are made to take balance enquiry calls for weeks, averaging 8-10 calls per day, while customers are made to wait in queues of up to 45 minutes. While waiting, the expectation is that you read their website to learn more about your job. No phones allowed. No learning materials provided. When I enquired about next steps, I was told to contact my manager, but not to sound too “demanding”. For context, I’ve worked in many banking and finance roles in the past, and have been responsible for setting up call centres for start up businesses, including training, establishing processes, etc. This was purely intended to be a part time, casual job, where I could get out of the house, and interact with other people. I wasn’t looking to be challenged, I wanted to go to work, be busy for a few hours, then head home.In all my years of experience, I’ve never come across a business that treats new employees with such arrogance. The general vibe was employees seeking out their managers for feedback, etc, rather than management being proactive. While some staff members profess to enjoy their jobs there, I’ve never seen a place of business where established staff members are so desperate to see days off. The only interactions new employees have with existing ones is when there is one on one training occurring. Staff just aren’t that friendly toward newcomers. I met my -

Cons

Drawn out on boarding process, unpleasant working environment, poor product range

Buen ambiente

una empresa altamente involucrada con innovación y procesos tecnológicos, muy buen ambiente colaborativo

Horrific Experience

Culture of corporate drug & alcohol abuse is very present. Bullying and physical abuse are not uncommon topics for the HR team. New recruits are mismanaged and offered little to no guidance or practical hands on training. They are often used as scape-goats to vent blame for managerial screw-ups.

Horrible

The company claims to care about is employees but in reality they could not care less. Staff are highly stressed trying to meet targets. Management just keep pushing until you leave. You're the to get out if you don't like it.

Good

I enjoyed working for BOQ, a very supportive and great workspace and atmosphere. I believe with my time with BOQ I was able to gain much knowledge and skills

Good work culture

Was an ok interview process and started out fine but the pressure on sales has changed the dynamic within the retail banking dept. Hence why i am looking for new employment

Nepotism

Having worked closely with Credit Risk and the Mortgage HUB at the time, the work kept you busy but the objectives to some of the work was misplaced in sight of the goal - streamlining processes to give the end customer a seamless experience. This was not achieved overall by the company in my years at the institution. Career opportunities are managed by nepotism. If you're not close with those of authoritative status aka management, you can forget about your career progression aspirations altogether. In my role I was averaging as the top performer consistently every quarter and saw no recognition or support from management when I would submit for senior roles. Terrible micromanagement style is the curse within that workplace there. BOQ is a small bank with small dreams, evidently was a determining factor in my departure.

Pros

Great working morale, ethical co-workers, professional conduct and I developed great friendships for life!

Cons

No social club, no team activities/outings, no clear career progression path.

Culture importance

Having had 3 Manager changes in 2 years and no real direction during the royal comission the culture was just toxic and staff were beginning to create problems to look busy. Culture a 0 out of 10. The IT issues the staff claim to have are 90% poor computer underdanding and due to poor training and staff development progams.

Great Team

BOQ had a great culmination of experience and forward thinkers. Great facilities and a common sense take on how they approached their business. The hardest part of the job was rectifying errors made in the past by previous employees which impacted the business. The most enjoyable part of the job was how BOQ allowed you to learn new skills sets outside your own role description. All in all, it was a great company to work for and to develop my current skillset as well as expanding my own

Custure

not a nice place to work people in the retail network talk about you behind your back the main issue managers that have been mangers too long with no management.

Pros

corporate good benefits when they are there

Cons

culture

Horrible Bank to work for

If you are a young woman who is looking at starting a family whilst working at BOQ then its best you don't join this bank. they treat you like dirt and make you work long hours whilst knowing you are about to deliver in a few weeks. and once you go back to work after having your new bub your manager will treat you even worse and will never understand that kids get sick etc and will get you to meet with unexpected dead lines and the bullying culture still exist at BOQ and HR is dead silent on what is going. A terrible financial organization to work for and they talk about flexibility of work however none of this exist within many roles at the bank . if you can avoid working here. No one who works at the bank actually enjoys working there. no culture and no heart.

Pros

You will be given 14 weeks maternity leave

Cons

Long Hours, Bullying, Management not underestanding your current status, HR non existent, Managers with no leadership qualities and no heart, Poor Salaries, Poor work ethics

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bank of Queensland. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Bank of Queensland with

• Bank of Queensland
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?