Bank of Queensland
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Bank of Queensland Employee Reviews

Australia58 reviews
Good work culture
Was an ok interview process and started out fine but the pressure on sales has changed the dynamic within the retail banking dept. Hence why i am looking for new employment
Buen ambiente
una empresa altamente involucrada con innovación y procesos tecnológicos, muy buen ambiente colaborativo
Horrific Experience
Culture of corporate drug & alcohol abuse is very present. Bullying and physical abuse are not uncommon topics for the HR team. New recruits are mismanaged and offered little to no guidance or practical hands on training. They are often used as scape-goats to vent blame for managerial screw-ups.
Horrible
The company claims to care about is employees but in reality they could not care less. Staff are highly stressed trying to meet targets. Management just keep pushing until you leave. You're the to get out if you don't like it.
Good
I enjoyed working for BOQ, a very supportive and great workspace and atmosphere. I believe with my time with BOQ I was able to gain much knowledge and skills
Nepotism
Having worked closely with Credit Risk and the Mortgage HUB at the time, the work kept you busy but the objectives to some of the work was misplaced in sight of the goal - streamlining processes to give the end customer a seamless experience. This was not achieved overall by the company in my years at the institution. Career opportunities are managed by nepotism. If you're not close with those of authoritative status aka management, you can forget about your career progression aspirations altogether.

In my role I was averaging as the top performer consistently every quarter and saw no recognition or support from management when I would submit for senior roles. Terrible micromanagement style is the curse within that workplace there. BOQ is a small bank with small dreams, evidently was a determining factor in my departure.
Pros
Great working morale, ethical co-workers, professional conduct and I developed great friendships for life!
Cons
No social club, no team activities/outings, no clear career progression path.
Culture importance
Having had 3 Manager changes in 2 years and no real direction during the royal comission the culture was just toxic and staff were beginning to create problems to look busy. Culture a 0 out of 10.
The IT issues the staff claim to have are 90% poor computer underdanding and due to poor training and staff development progams.
Great Team
BOQ had a great culmination of experience and forward thinkers. Great facilities and a common sense take on how they approached their business.

The hardest part of the job was rectifying errors made in the past by previous employees which impacted the business.

The most enjoyable part of the job was how BOQ allowed you to learn new skills sets outside your own role description.

All in all, it was a great company to work for and to develop my current skillset as well as expanding my own
Custure
not a nice place to work
people in the retail network talk about you behind your back

the main issue

managers that have been mangers too long with no management.
Pros
corporate good benefits when they are there
Cons
culture
Horrible Bank to work for
If you are a young woman who is looking at starting a family whilst working at BOQ then its best you don't join this bank. they treat you like dirt and make you work long hours whilst knowing you are about to deliver in a few weeks. and once you go back to work after having your new bub your manager will treat you even worse and will never understand that kids get sick etc and will get you to meet with unexpected dead lines and the bullying culture still exist at BOQ and HR is dead silent on what is going. A terrible financial organization to work for and they talk about flexibility of work however none of this exist within many roles at the bank . if you can avoid working here. No one who works at the bank actually enjoys working there. no culture and no heart.
Pros
You will be given 14 weeks maternity leave
Cons
Long Hours, Bullying, Management not underestanding your current status, HR non existent, Managers with no leadership qualities and no heart, Poor Salaries, Poor work ethics
Good people to work with
People and drinks were excellent.

Everyone was very helpful. The work is very relaxed culture and at a steady pace. However, the leadership and management direction are lacking.
Pros
Drinks, lunch area.
Cons
Lack direction, no leadership.
Sales focused
Whilst I thoroughly enjoy interactions with customers I like to serve my customers and not sell them.
I have many loyal customers that will only have dealings with me as they feel I know exactly what they need and do my job thoroughly.
Excellent company culture
I loved working at BOQ Specialist as I was given complete ownership in my role and of the products/ campaigns I managed.
Management on the direct marketing team were amazing and strived to do what was right for the team.

I gained a great deal of experience around product marketing and end to end campaign management.

I loved being part of the marketing team there.
Worked with great people but finance sector requires cultural changes
Have now left the Bank of Queensland and looking for a better culture fit. Management are struggling with ongoing changes in the finance sector and maintaining staffing. Constant challenges which provided me with great coping skills.
Great workplace culture.
BOQ is known to be a small bank specialising in forging personable and solid relationships with their customers. That being said, the emphasis focused through the construction of their business model is the over-promotion of being a 'loved' bank rather than a modern competitor in the industry.

As a result BOQ has staggered its potential to grow with the times. This, I feel, has proved to be its biggest hindrance of further developing an influential brand in the banking market place.

Although a great working environment is well established, the BOQ mantra lacks innovation and a fresh young look through optimistic eyes.

The systems are quite dated and the procedures/policies (although compliant of the industry standard) are not far off the quality of an essay copy and paste attempt.
Pros
Family environment/culture
Cons
outdated systems and procedures
Productive and fun
The most enjoyable Branch of people I ever worked with. Our Manager was a great leader. Great workplace culture, great customers and a lot of variety in the job.
Pros
Fantastic
Cons
New move down to the gold coast
This was a move from Brisbane to the Gold Coast and it was a great choice. Staff and Management were very welcoming and work well as a team. Busy Branch with a lot of variety.
Pros
great team
Relief staff position
I relieved at the Branch for staff annual leave. Great location, environment and staff. Lots of holiday makers so international was quite a large part of our day.
New Branch startup
Newly opened Branch, our job was to gain new business for the Bank in a brand new shopping centre. I absolutely loved working at the Branch. It was challenging to get out and meet new shop owners and clients.
Pros
Happy work place
Short term emplyment
Working with Head Office staff and business banking clientele. Very busy branch but rewarding to work with a great team of young energetic people. A lot of international transactions.
Pros
busy
Great work environment
This was a part time job with my young family. I worked 2 days a week with a fabulous Team leader. Nothing was ever a problem and we worked autonomously.
Pros
Happy envirnment
Cons
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bank of Queensland. Our community is ready to answer.