BankWest
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

BankWest Employee Reviews

Australia50 reviews
A typical day at work was getting your credit paper completed in a timely manner. I have learned a lot from various departments during my journey with the company. Good culture.
The hardest part of the job was to get your paper approved by Credit.

The most enjoyable part of the job was, getting an approval from Credit for your hard work.
To be clear I worked at Bankwest before Covid-19, however I have never been as sick as I was working at their head office. 4 rounds of colds and flu within the first 3 months, one after the other, prior to that over a year without even a sniffle. This is what hotdesking does, and Covid-19 would love it.

At the time there were zero boxes of tissues. A number of times I wandered the floors looking for the supply closets to find tissues only to come away empty handed. No paper towels in the toilets either, so blow your nose in the kitchen? So you bring in your own tissues, and because of the scarcity you're all of a sudden the most popular person in the office but now without any tissues. No bins either, so while you're sniffing and blowing every 2 to 5 minutes there is nowhere to put your growing pile of disease except the bins in the, again, kitchen. It can take 1 to 2 minutes to walk to the kitchen, then 1 to 2 minutes back, unlock computer, oh gotta blow again, lock computer, rinse and repeat and zero work done. Your desk is now a disease filled petri dish ready for whoever sits there tomorrow because, odds are, someone will get there before you.

The first time I got sick I decided that I was well enough to work but for the sake of my colleagues it would be better if I worked from home. After calling my manager who was, lets face it, a self involved office psychopath (every tale of mirth that spewed from his mouth was at the expense of some unfortunate individual. Self deprecation is an alien concept to him, and if observed by him considered a weakness.) I was
 - more...
17 May 2020
Thanks for raising your concerns. The health and wellbeing of our customers, colleagues and the community remains our number one priority especially during this time of uncertainty surrounding the Coronavirus, so we will be sure to pass on your feedback to the relevant team. We’ve put additional health and safety measures in place in our offices to ensure our work spaces are safe for our people now and will continue to evolve these in line with the changing situation. All the best with your future endeavours and keep safe.
A typical day as a branch manager at Bankwest consisted of:

- opening up store, ensuring tellers are organised with cash orders/treasury

- risk management was a daily check-in around files, cash, staff observations (Operational duties)

- Assisting with customer inquiries/complaints

- Staff management

- Staff 121s/training

- Daily morning huddles to go through with the team a snapshot of previous day/expectations for current day/week and daily 11 and 2 check ins to track how staff are going

I learnt a lot from Bankwest, in particular my then manager whilst I was a consultant. This particular manager was extremely supportive and taught me a lot and encouraged me to follow my career path goals to becoming a branch manager. Bankwest provides a lot of training and if you are motivated, dedicated and that is evident in your role/121's you can go anywhere within the company. They supported 'young' managers and never made you feel incapable.

The workplace culture was fun and enjoyable. I have met some of my best friends whilst working at Bankwest.

The hardest part about the job, whilst I was there was the vacancies which lead to long hours.

There were so many enjoyable parts to working at Bankwest, from team culture, friendships built to the support provided not only by management but by colleagues and staff.
21 April 2020
Thanks for your feedback. It’s great to hear that you had a great team and enjoyed your role at Bankwest. We wish you all the best with your current and future endeavours. We hope we can work with you again and if you are on the lookout for a new opportunity head to our career site https://www.bankwest.com.au/about-us/careers
Area managers playing there own games and un der cutting staff before the even start.. There were no customers and stupid sales targets. You are supposed to get your sales over the phone. Assist managers who think they are everything. No teamwork at all.
21 April 2020
We’re sorry to hear that you’ve had a poor experience and feel your time wasn’t valued. Your feedback is important and in order for us to take action we encourage you to contact our anonymous hotline on 1800 SpeakUP (1800 773 258).
Prior to my leaving Bankwest they had been bought by CBA, I had already resigned from them prior to the others being made redundant.

A typical day at work was maintaining a portfolio of business banking clients.

I learned advanced lending and loan writing skills whilst there.

Management was at times unprofessional.

Workplace culture - good
Don't do it.

Retail banking - it's all about pointless sales & KPIs that are always just out of reach, not customer service.

Corporate & IT - stopped me from returning from maternty leave by transferring my partner to the bush and leaving me in Perth with a newborn. Pathetic.

Then they went on to feature prominently at the BRC.

Staff still can't be bothered helping customers and many branch enquirires are handballed around from one dept. to another.

Old habits die hard.
23 September 2019
Thank you for your feedback. At Bankwest we are continually working to ensure our performance metrics are realistic and achievable so we appreciate your insights which we will pass on to the human resources and remuneration team. If you have any other feedback that you would like to share we also encourage you to speak to HR Direct on 1800 989 696.
I would prefer not to write a review of the Bankwest environment as I was a remote worker and did not get to see all the goings on in the office. I did enjoy my time there though.
23 September 2019
Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad you enjoyed your role at Bankwest. We are continually striving to improve employee experience and so we appreciate your insights which we will pass on to the branch management team. If you have any other feedback that you would like to share, we also encourage you to call HR Direct on 1800 989 696.
One of the worst experienced in my working career. Procurement team was a mess due to the manager only hiring specific "yes sir" people. The experienced contract managers carried the whole team. The managers and senior managers were shocking no values or people culture. They may advertise it internally but it isn't enforced with management. There is encouragement of backstabbing and throwing others under the bus. Senior management ignores any issues. Worse experience ever. And not sure who they survey for employer of choice but it isn't the employees.
Pros
On site cafe
Cons
Undermining, backstabbing, senior management, hiring friends not experienced people, culture, lack of skills in teams
27 August 2019
Thank you for your post. We appreciate you taking the time to provide this feedback and we take these matters seriously. Raising these issues through HR Direct would enable us to follow up these matters internally. You can do this by calling 1800 989 696 Monday to Friday 8:00am to 7:00pm AEST and AEDT or by calling the SpeakUP hotline on 1800 SpeakUP (1800 773 258) if you’d like to raise this issue anonymously.
If your a people person who looks forward to helping people and giving great customer service you will enjoy Bankwest.
Learned the system in 2 weeks and a further 2 weeks serving with help. Good team.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Branch balancing
Too many restructures with little to no benefit to the individuals.
Salaries are at lower end of the scale, but provides job security.

Team Culture depends a lot on which team you end up, can be great.

Increases and promotions are rare.
Pros
Fruit Basket Mondays and wednesdays, good coffee, working from home one day a week.
Cons
Salary, sometimes Management is overworked and do not take care of the individuals
It is a phone based job. The team was asked to arrive work early and leave work late to ensure the full 8 hours phone time.

Team leader didn't care a lot about her work, didn't have the ability to deal with any incident coming from the customers and the team. Used dating app during working hours and micromanaging.

The good thing about the job was that Bankwest does really care about the customers and people working on the phone speaking to the customers directly always try to help the customers.
Pros
Nice Colleagues
Cons
Micromanagement
Too many Jobs to do within a day and long hours not enough staff within the area having to drive many kilometres to help out other branches. Targets are not achievable in a small town with all major banks and a population of only 3600 people. Customer focused was a joke.
Cons
Bankwest Head Office was a great place to work. However, there was problems with management (many quitting + lots of reshuffling) so it did not feel stable
Pros
Location, facilities
Cons
Changing workforce
Bankwest provides all colleagues with the tools to do varied, exciting work whilst giving work life balance to get other commitments done. They acknowledge customer needs and working to those criteria is rewarding when work is delivered.
Bankwest was an amazing company to work. Awesome culture, excellent facilities as it changed into a collaborative and innovative working space in Raine Square.
I would recommend Bankwest as a wonderful company to work for to anyone.
Led to believe job was secure then all East Coast stores closed in one swoop with no warning and approx. 400 people now unemployed.
Always did more than the 38.5 hr per week rostered but no overtime is ever paid and they reduce hours of work quite regularly.
Pros
nice colleagues to work with
Cons
always do a lot more than rostered 38.5 hrs per week with no overtime paid.
Great open office environment, with flexible working hours.

Diverse ICT infrastructure, offering exposure to different forms of technology within the banking sector.
Good culture, with good coaching , always have policy updates to keep up to date with current policies and procedure, lots off opportunities to change roles and be promoted .
I really loved working at Bankwest. They have a great culture which recognises individuals and their skills, while helping them develop new skills and feel part of a team.

Bankwest have now moved into working in an Agile way and it was interesting to be part of that transformation.

Like many organisations, things are constantly changing and instead of being afraid, Bankwest tends to embrace it.
Pros
Different events and training you can join, progressive and adopts new technology
Working for Bankwest is rewarding. I was able to learn whilst on the job. I have achieved confidence and excellent rapport building skills and customers view me with full confidence. As our job requires us to be knowledgeable in all areas, I do not feel bored.Extremely rewarding and satisfying to be able to help customer's reduce their debts and build wealth. The workplace culture is more relaxed and team work is impeccable. A typical day at work is organising the day, serving customers over the counter, assisting with problem solving. Each and every customer is different hence there may be challenges, this is what makes it enjoyable - being able to adapt to resolve a customer's problem by cob. I have learnt to multitask and time manage. The hardest part is when I see my colleagues not bothered with taking that extra time to better assist a customer or judge a person by their appearance.
Pros
appreciation from customers
Cons
micro mangement
Good place to work, the ability to work at your own pace, no one to pressure you daily duties vacuuming all floor areas and dusting desks. emptying bins.