Barwon Health

38: Barwon Health Employee Reviews

Australia38 reviews

3.8Work–Life Balance

Terrible nursing placement and poor pay as RUSON

I didn't like their prebook shift system and the inability to choose where you want to work. As a RUSON I received poor pay $24.86 a hour and worked really hard for that money. Only Experience that was positive was caring for patients and seeing how a hospital operates. The resource unit forces you to work in areas you don't want to go. When you tell them you don't want to go there they do not respect your decision its ignored. The prebook system is terrible you get notice 2hrs before you start your shift! There is no consistency of where you work, and you don't feel part of a team. They roster you on for night shifts without asking you. And with their prebook system they get you to put your availability in but you don't get any choice about where you are going to work. It's a surprise each time. You have absolutely no control. However the nursing staff have been wonderful and kind. I also had placement here too, horrible experience. There was no consistency of educators, I was seen by 3 different ones. They were not supportive, never asked if I had any learning needs. They came asked for isbar handover and then left. All they cared about was perfecting nursing handovers and judged students solely on this. They were all on a power trip! Not the best learning experience yet this is a teaching hospital?

Pros

Nurses are amazing.

Cons

Power tripping educators, low pay, inability to choose where you want to work. Random rostering.

Unhappy workplace

High work load with no additional support. Bullying by management and low workplace morale.Staff in my area rarely given positive feedback for the long hours and additional work completed.No signs of this bullying culture improving.

Pros

Helping patients

Cons

Highly stressful workplace

Very friendly and teamwork , less stressful everyone in the team is always come forward to help you in every aspect and you will increase your skills and knowledge while caring for your assigned patients.

Wonderful place to work . Everyone has been so wonderful and caring

Amazing place to work. Barwon Health look after their workers. And everyone looks out for each other. Great atmosphere. Every department I have worked they all look out for you . Hard working people who care.

Pros

Management have Great respect for their team. Always there to help .

Cons

No Cons . I have loved every part of working at Barwon Health

Poor management has ruined a great service.

When I started with Barwon Mental Health had a fantastic reputation, probably one of the best in the country. Over the years, poor management led to a very real deterioration, with the health dept intervening sending a team to manage at one stage. The current management team are very inexperienced. This has led to; unsafe working conditions, poor staffing levels, chaotic day to day management, little patient focus etc etc. Staff have voted with their feet, and despite the health department throwing money at them, they just cannot get the staff, and wonder why.It's a relief to be out of there. Do yourself a favour; avoid.

Pros

Friendly staff, lots of vacancies.

Cons

You'll worry your registration is at risk, due to dodgy practices.

Horrendous

Worst workplace culture on Baxter 5 EVER. Rude, nasty nurses who had no intention of making students feel welcome or helping at all. Expected more “initiative” despite being a first year student on their first acute placement... ANUM (name withheld) was a mole and doesn’t deserve to be there. Cliquey and very difficult to forge relationships. Select few of the older nurses were wonderful. The ones in their 20’s, forget it. Short memory as they obviously forgot they were students not long before. Revolting environment to learn in.

Pros

Cons

Rude, nasty staff

I learnt a lot and appreciate the very well organized and structured process and setup. I would go back any time to this place and recommend the place for both new joiners and experienced

Pros

great place to work, organized, disciplined

Cons

can be hard work at times

Don’t recommend working here

Wonderful, kind staff. But this is completely overshadowed by terrible management! The department is understaffed and MWU refuse to hire more people. You’ll work ridiculous overtime. They don’t pay you correctly - beware, you won’t receive your rostered pay.

Pros

Beautiful staff

Cons

Management and medical workforce

Stressful workplace with high staff turnover

There was a large shift in the workplace culture during the 5yrs I worked here. It had been a very supportive environment initially. Management strategies changed over time and money became the biggest driver, rather than patient care. Many of my coworkers became stressed and unhappy. The workloads were unreasonably high. Staff started leaving in droves and we couldn’t retain many of the new staff. The workplace culture became very bad here.

excellent place to work

Barwon Health is a fantastic place to work, everyone looks after each other no-one is left feeling on the outer. The Management team is very understanding and go out of their way to ensure everyone is happy and working to the best of their abilities.

A horrible place to work

You are going to be let down by Barwon Health. The bullying culture is disgusting at Barwon Health. Long term employees are complacent, and are responsible for the bullying culture, experienced by all employees. Overall Barwon Health is a let down, and not a place for anybody to work there. Shame on you.

Fast paced, friendly environemnt

Fast paced, greet and arrive clients for their appointment. Take payments and issue receipts. Answer phone, book appointments, filing of documents, client files to allied health staff for appointments. Return files after appointments. Files ready for next day, settling daily taking, banking reports.

Pros

Great team environment

Friendly and welcoming team.

Working as part of the leisure and lifestyle team. Typical day: Set up activity for the morning Walking or wheeling residents to the area for the activity Encouraging residents to participate, interact with other residents. After activity walk or wheel residents to their room or dining room for lunch. Pack up activity. Lunch Set up afternoon activity as above. Complete documentation of residents activity for the day before the end of shift.

A very good place to work

Only worked on a casual basis but loved it . I delivered the meals the meal monitors made up as well as the cleaning of the food trolleys and working in stores.

It's great working for a company who puts people first and is values driven. A great place for networking and creating new opportunities. There is so much to learn and experience.

Pros

Friendly staff and supportive management

Cons

Parking

Proud to work at an organisation that cares about their staff and the community

I am very proud to work for a values-based organisation who truly cares about their staff and the community. I have been supported with ongoing professional development opportunities and provided with great flexibility and work/life balance. I am extremely grateful to be part of a team that is so supportive and allow me to be creative on a daily basis.

Pros

Work/Life balance, Flexibility, Professional Development

Learning culture

Barwon Health focuses on helping students learn and grow in the profession. I really appreciated that as I felt that I was looked after throughout the whole experience.

Bullying by the ones who are suppose to support you

My coworkers were fantastic and supportive but my NUM and educator were bullies. From my first day the NUM pretty much told me that work would be my life for the next few months or I would fail, work cannot be a mums “life” as my son was not even 1 by that point. From there they belittled my skills and put so much expectation and pressure on me. I was picking up other people’s mistake, yet mistakes that weren’t even mine were blamed on me, I was afraid to ask questions as they would throw in my face that I “should” know that, I became physically ill with anxiety. They did not want me there and they got their way in the end. They destroyed my confidence, funnily enough where I work now I can’t not be praised enough by my NUM and how good of a nurse I am.

Pros

Co-workers are nice

Cons

Bullying from management

Fun and great place to learn

A great place to learn, as a student doing work placement there i was able to build my skills in high risk environment. Being able to tell how different conditions affect people in different ways was probably the my biggest achievement and favourite experience at Barwon Health

Exciting times doing the "Chase"

One of the objectives of the role was locate every patients' medical file who were having elective surgery the next day. An average day was 30 files, and 25 of them were filed as required. The rest of the day was spent chasing the last five files, which required phone calls to pathology centres, doctors, nurses, or even walking to different departments around the hospital to locate the "missing" files. All the files had to be taken to the surgery floor by 4pm that day. Some files were nearly impossible to find, and it took a good lot of "detective work" to finally locate them - often very close to 4pm.

Pros

Exciting work

Cons

Sometimes stressful

bullying at its best

stay away from this place ...bullying is rife from the top to the bottom HR does nothing nothing be kind to yourself and go elsewhere from the cleaners to management harrasment is there none helps bullies get looked after bad bad horrid place

Pros

nothing

Cons

bad place noone helps

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barwon Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Barwon Health with