Barwon Health
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Barwon Health Employee Reviews

Featured review
Barwon Health selected this as a representative review
I am very proud to work for a values-based organisation who truly cares about their staff and the community. I have been supported with ongoing professional development opportunities and provided with great flexibility and work/life balance. I am extremely grateful to be part of a team that is so supportive and allow me to be creative on a daily basis.
Pros
Work/Life balance, Flexibility, Professional Development
Worst workplace culture on Baxter 5 EVER. Rude, nasty nurses who had no intention of making students feel welcome or helping at all. Expected more “initiative” despite being a first year student on their first acute placement... ANUM (name withheld) was a mole and doesn’t deserve to be there. Cliquey and very difficult to forge relationships. Select few of the older nurses were wonderful. The ones in their 20’s, forget it. Short memory as they obviously forgot they were students not long before. Revolting environment to learn in.
Pros
Cons
Rude, nasty staff
I learnt a lot and appreciate the very well organized and structured process and setup. I would go back any time to this place and recommend the place for both new joiners and experienced
Pros
great place to work, organized, disciplined
Cons
can be hard work at times
Wonderful, kind staff. But this is completely overshadowed by terrible management! The department is understaffed and MWU refuse to hire more people. You’ll work ridiculous overtime. They don’t pay you correctly - beware, you won’t receive your rostered pay.
Pros
Beautiful staff
Cons
Management and medical workforce
There was a large shift in the workplace culture during the 5yrs I worked here. It had been a very supportive environment initially. Management strategies changed over time and money became the biggest driver, rather than patient care. Many of my coworkers became stressed and unhappy. The workloads were unreasonably high. Staff started leaving in droves and we couldn’t retain many of the new staff. The workplace culture became very bad here.
Barwon Health is a fantastic place to work, everyone looks after each other no-one is left feeling on the outer. The Management team is very understanding and go out of their way to ensure everyone is happy and working to the best of their abilities.
You are going to be let down by Barwon Health. The bullying culture is disgusting at Barwon Health. Long term employees are complacent, and are responsible for the bullying culture, experienced by all employees. Overall Barwon Health is a let down, and not a place for anybody to work there. Shame on you.
Fast paced, greet and arrive clients for their appointment. Take payments and issue receipts. Answer phone, book appointments, filing of documents, client files to allied health staff for appointments. Return files after appointments. Files ready for next day, settling daily taking, banking reports.
Pros
Great team environment
Working as part of the leisure and lifestyle team. Typical day: Set up activity for the morning Walking or wheeling residents to the area for the activity Encouraging residents to participate, interact with other residents. After activity walk or wheel residents to their room or dining room for lunch. Pack up activity. Lunch Set up afternoon activity as above. Complete documentation of residents activity for the day before the end of shift.
Only worked on a casual basis but loved it . I delivered the meals the meal monitors made up as well as the cleaning of the food trolleys and working in stores.
It's great working for a company who puts people first and is values driven. A great place for networking and creating new opportunities. There is so much to learn and experience.
Pros
Friendly staff and supportive management
Cons
Parking
Barwon Health focuses on helping students learn and grow in the profession. I really appreciated that as I felt that I was looked after throughout the whole experience.
My coworkers were fantastic and supportive but my NUM and educator were bullies. From my first day the NUM pretty much told me that work would be my life for the next few months or I would fail, work cannot be a mums “life” as my son was not even 1 by that point. From there they belittled my skills and put so much expectation and pressure on me. I was picking up other people’s mistake, yet mistakes that weren’t even mine were blamed on me, I was afraid to ask questions as they would throw in my face that I “should” know that, I became physically ill with anxiety. They did not want me there and they got their way in the end. They destroyed my confidence, funnily enough where I work now I can’t not be praised enough by my NUM and how good of a nurse I am.
Pros
Co-workers are nice
Cons
Bullying from management
A great place to learn, as a student doing work placement there i was able to build my skills in high risk environment. Being able to tell how different conditions affect people in different ways was probably the my biggest achievement and favourite experience at Barwon Health
One of the objectives of the role was locate every patients' medical file who were having elective surgery the next day. An average day was 30 files, and 25 of them were filed as required. The rest of the day was spent chasing the last five files, which required phone calls to pathology centres, doctors, nurses, or even walking to different departments around the hospital to locate the "missing" files. All the files had to be taken to the surgery floor by 4pm that day. Some files were nearly impossible to find, and it took a good lot of "detective work" to finally locate them - often very close to 4pm.
Pros
Exciting work
Cons
Sometimes stressful
stay away from this place ...bullying is rife from the top to the bottom HR does nothing nothing be kind to yourself and go elsewhere from the cleaners to management harrasment is there none helps bullies get looked after bad bad horrid place
Pros
nothing
Cons
bad place noone helps
Working for Barwon health was a very rewarding job a very loving and caring towards the residents the staff was friendly and very helpful. It tought me to have confidence and self esteem and communication skills also helped me to understand more about the residents and their needs and leaded to friendships
Pros
Very rewarding job
Cons
Some of the residents were hard to deal with
An extremely busy environment with a great deal to learn. It was interesting and challenging. I enjoyed helping patients in an administrative capacity. However, night shift did not suit me (midnight to 8.30am shifts).
poor culture. Executives no idea of what really goes on. People on ground nice but do not provide optimal care to patients. Some staff exceedingly lazy. HR do not assist to get rid of poor workers/ staff who make errors consistently.
Pros
Nil accountability. Can't get fired
Cons
Staff disinterested
Good people to work with but lack management credibility. Salary benefits are good but most employees were not paid by their experience or ability. Payroll system was outdated and full of work arounds.
I was an employee at Barwon Health for 11 years and was grateful for the opportunity. The opportunity to work ppt hours was a plus and the people I worked with on the whole were quite receptive
Pros
Salary packaging
Cons
Hard to find a free park