Beacon Lighting
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Beacon Lighting Employee Reviews

Australia31 reviews
In a quick turn of events - was "offered" a role at a different store than I had interviewed but then when meeting the Manager also informed of "additional duties" normally assigned to Store/ Warehouse Men - a bit disappointed but I believe for the better. Probably think the company is trying to cut corners
All in all a positive experience working at Beacon Lighting. No 2 days are the same. Products are evolving and interesting. Quick pace environment every day.
Great Products, ok warranty service, no two days are the same, great design studio concept, fantastic in home consult offer,easy parking,very quite showroom as there is no music playing.
Beacon was a very stressful environment you would think staff were on commission hard to push sales when targets are so high and you also have to do all your tasks. If the store made budget but you didn’t no bonus! If you made your budget and the store didn’t no bonus! Managers were all friends so if you were being discriminated against none of them would care
An interesting place to work with my varied tasks involved in running a store, including all merchandising work which involves tools and painting etc. Great product and interesting design element. Strong family business.
Pros
Good team culture
Cons
Little chance of advancing, often being moved around, stress created by running stores on minimal staff
I made many great friends during my time at Beacon. The initial learning curve is very steep and it's easy to get overwhelmed, but there's always someone to help out.
The state manager was very unhelpful and caused a lot of issues during my time there, but the other store managers, my and other teams were always happy to assist.

The hardest part of the job was being stretched so thin but having the same expectations as better resourced stores.

If you're looking for progression above store management, Beacon won't be it for you as there is nothing readily available above Store Manager. However, if you're looking to get up to store management or just want something with a real technical challenge, you will do really well to pick Beacon for your next job. You will learn huge amounts and you really do get to change people's lives through lighting. It's quite inspirational.
I love the Business, I love what I do, I love the customers, I love my Team members! What else is there to say 👌The best Job I've ever had, the longest Job I've stayed at, I treat the Business as my own, hoping that I've left the customer with a lasting, memorable shopping experience 😁
Beacon has been a really good learning experience and I love my job. I have been taught so much and there's so many new things to learn everyday I'm when I'm at work. Everyday is a challenge which I love.
No day is the same, sometimes could be challenging. But the management is helpful and motivation. On a very difficult month achieve targets could be difficult but not impossible. Working with the helpful team is the best part of this job.
I really enjoy working at Beacon Lighting overall, it is a good working environment and has very friendly people who work there. The only downside to working there was there is management issues in the specific store I am working in and they cut my hours from 5 days a week to every second weekend because the store was incredibly quiet and couldn't afford to keep the casuals on.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, achievable sales targets and KPIs
Cons
Not enough hours, management issues
During my time at Beacon Lighting i was provided with in depth training and was given the chance to strengthen my sales abilities whilst building new relationships across a broad range of customers and companies.
Beacon is pretty much a perfect work place, aside from being committed to working every second Saturday and sunday. Management is good and the incentives make it easy to earn extra money.
Pros
Fun, relaxed, can make commision
Cons
Work weekends
Job is great . Helps to learn a lot of skills, since you come across clients and customer on daily basis. A fun place with a great team. The management is very supportive and motivates associates to tackle difficult situation with guidance.
Customer service is important and learned to deal with variety of characters that sometimes you feel like to scream. But smile is the best policy and most understood language.
There is no hard job, if you know and enjoy what you are doing and great atmosphere to work. Time flies.

Everyone seemed to be responsible in their own area without any problems. Lunch time is up to you as long as we don’t go all at the same time (negotiable who’s going first).

We had bad manager once ( only 6 months) but we all managed really well.
Pros
Great staff discount
Cons
No cons
nice people. nice environment good workplace culture, enjoyable when helping customers choose nice lights. some heavy lifting and some very late nights and long shifts.
Pros
nice environment
Cons
long hours and heavy lifting
Beacon management is unfair in some circumstances, however the culture that the company wants to create is amazing and is passed through all their online learning. In terms of career advancement it isnt easy because all higher up is mainly family. But I wouldn't want to anyway because from what I'm aware of the salary isn't worth it for the amount of issues the manager has to deal with, especially because some products aren't as quality as promised when they're released. Top management doesn't see this as a problem though.
Beacon have an online training package that you can log into during work hours. There was also on the job training to learn about individual products. A typical day would be to come and check emails and orders, get any deliveries sorted out and then clean and attend to the show room floor. Customer service is always the priority. The hardest part of the job was remembering 6 digit sky # for each product. The most enjoyable part was helping people to find a solution to their lighting needs.
Pros
learning about the lighting industry. Reward program ( Beacon $)
Cons
Not much help form management and inconsisten training.
No day was the same
I learnt different management techniques from the different store managers

Was a fun place to work

Most enjoyable part of the job was when customers would come back with photos of their homes once the lighting was complete.
working at beacon lighting was very rewarding. I loved helping customers with house plans to fit out the lights they needed and even down to side lamps to create the look they were looking for.
Although the employees and manager where both fantastic and helpful, the culture to sell as much as possible was a let down. Also as a new higher you are thrown in the deep end with little training as not enough staff are available to help you learn the ropes and teach you. This may just be because of the location of the store and the busyness of it instead of any ingrained culture or the like but it made it very difficult to properly train yourself to the same standards as everyone else
Pros
Friendly and helpful staff
Cons
Sink or swim culture.
Beacon are great to work for, however I took on the job as a permanent casual, but I would love to work for them Full time or permanent part time, as in the quieter months I do not really earn enough to contribute to the family budget.
They have great people, a clean friendly and safe workplace, and an awesome team culture where you are truly valued. Support and training are also excellent.
Pros
Awesome company to work for
Cons
Casual hours can be as little as 16 hours a fortnight