Bendigo Bank
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Bendigo Bank Employee Reviews

Australia68 reviews
Limited career progression. Management is closed.
With changes in management and not being adept to promote from within, rather than explore external alternatives, its hard to further your career.
Pros
Cons
long hours. Management not inclusive
Difficult experience with no guidance and no support. Unrealistic expectations were set on me from the beginning with no intervention from management during the probationary period to check in on me to provide any help.
Pros
Freedom to work independently
Cons
Poor management
I was working in a country town branch through the Beacon CRC
I learnt a lot developed alot of skills and met alot of people the most enjoyable part was driving to our parent branch and associating with them
A typical day at work consisted of managing approximately 6-8 projects at a time all at different stages, so therefore always busy in completing project task. My week consisted of working from home, working from the head office and also travelling as many projects were either in Melbourne CBD, Regional Victoria or Sydney which required site visits/meetings. Overall my role gave me many enjoyable moments and i would love the end result of completing a retail branch fit out and also working with local communities. Most challenging part of my role was when a project had some complex matters which as a team you had to brain storm how we would overcome these challenges to ensure the project was delivered within the timeframe and budget.
Poor leadership no chance of self improvement, direction was scattered, tell yo to do one thing then change direction without advising.
Very clicky, no staff engagement or team building, work life balance not applied
Good community culture and genuine interest in customers. Great place to work and the staff are very knowledgable. Each franchise operates slightly different to each other with the corporate office providing the structure and direction.
This place has been run into the ground by the overpaid Executives who've suddenly realised that their Company Shares won't be worth much if they don't pull their fingers out.
So they've filled the place with HR staff trying to talk their way out of the hole that's been dug. These HR staff don't know anything about Banking and have no idea what the place even does! They're just pushing all the stress down the chain to the over-worked and inexperienced branch staff.
Loved working at Bendigo Bank until I moved to QLD where the culture was completely different . New manager in role that had no knowledge of the 'Bendigo Way', insisting that we change everything , stretching policy to suit her ambitions. Onboarding of staff bullying and encouraging other staff to do so. VERY stressful.
Such a shame to see. Senior management showed no concern and reporting of bullying was swept under the carpet.
Poor staff training and too many software systems required for simple transactional tasks for staff to easily meet customer needs. Poor search functions to access policy and procedures. Management jobs have been forced down the line to teller staff and Managers only focus on getting their quota of loans. Teller staff are abused, over worked and too much is expected from them with little recognition.
Head office staff and higher level call centre staff are rude, unfriendly and outright bullies
One of the most unprofessional companies that have ever worked with,highly political and racial esply the community banking side.Top mgt is biased and has no clue about how the branch operates.
Systems and process'es are ancient and not staff friendly .Staff expected to do cleaners job due to cost cutting.yes not joking.Work culture is constant infighting ,top mgt uses moles to get their information hence Chinese whispers. Suggest to thoroughly check everything before accepting any role esply community side.
Very busy and slightly understaffed but good environment learnt a lot throughout the years. Fun team to work with lots of variety in day never quite always something to do.
I worked for a community branch of Bendigo Bank. I really enjoyed the involvement within the community and the way in which Bendigo differs from the big 4 in regards to providing service to customers. However, branch management was severely corrupt. Intimidation and bullying was put in place constantly by those higher up, including the board, as anyone who wasn’t in a management position was looked down upon and was not considered good at their job. Myself and other staff were constantly undervalued, lied to, manipulated, underpaid, and pressured to do more than what our role consisted of. It was a common occurrence for staff members to be having anxiety and panic attacks in the back office, we were emotionally abused if we didn’t make work our number 1 priority, and were ignored when we asked for help from management, the board, and HR of Bendigo. Very negative working experience within this company.
I struggled with management during my time at Bendigo
I wouldn’t recommend working for a community owned branch, maybe a corporate branch would be better
Generally a positive place to work, with community outcomes a focus. Politics can get in the way of internal decision making, but would recommend working there.
Managers have no real skills, couldn't get a gig elsewhere of equal standing as they are usually retired, popular past sporting personalities with no business acumen whatsoever and are easily dominated by manipulative staff with process knowledge.
There is a strong bullying culture endemic throughout this business and they avoid prosecution for breaches of employees rights by having Customer service officer's under the employment of the community members and not working as employees of Bendigo Adelaide bank business. Wouldn't recommend it
Pros
Cons
Vicious bullying culture
Very Political organisation... Career advancement is limited, it is 'who you know & not what you know' culture... 'Very old school' used to be 'jobs for the boys' now it is 'jobs for the girls'. In order to progress your career you must have a sponsor. There is a lack of transparency. Management does not like to be questioned on decisions. People are placed in roles as a fill in, then the jobs are advertised & surprise, surprise the person who is in the' temporary role' get the position.
Pros
Flexibility in most roles
Cons
Very backward software, training, culture
While the bank needs to find a better way of stepping outside of emotions and history with some of its decision making, it still carries a connected regional/community feel and values system, which is a strong positive.

Great opportunity for growth and development for staff and as a company overall.
Pros
Desire to be a great company for staff and customers
Cons
Speed of development and lack of clear strategy
Bendigo and Adelaide Bank is an Australian financial institution, operating primarily in retail banking. The company was formed by the merger of Bendigo Bank and Adelaide Bank in November 2007.

The bank has branches Australia wide, with its National headquarters in the city of Bendigo, with a major offices in Adelaide, South Australia and regional offices in Docklands, Melbourne and Ipswich, Queensland.
Working at Bendigo Bank was a great opportunity to connect with local communities and make a different.
Most staff want to make a difference and this shine through.

Culture is great, and team work is encouraged.

Many branch staff lack the sales assertiveness needed and have a negative mindset to the fact that they are in sales now.

Great work life balance across network.
Pros
culture, work life balance
Cons
negative front line staff
Worst branch manager I had, basically don't know much including basic things. e.g Log on into the basic system, don't know how to use the basic system
Pros
not much sales pressure
Cons
but lots of pressure needs to look after everything
It was a productive time while I was in Bendigo bank learning about what they do in the everyday workplace of everyone in the IT area of Bendigo bank.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bendigo Bank. Our community is ready to answer.