Betts Group Employee Reviews

Literally worst place to work
Part Time Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD12 March 2019
I worked at Betts for three years and can honestly say it was the worst company I have ever worked for.

The management is horrendous - I had seven managers in my time and they were all undertrained 19-24 year olds, with poor management skills and no idea how to foster good work culture.

Typical day at work was me or my other casual work colleague doing all the work the manager's were supposed to do but refused to and left it to their casual staff.

The pay was fairly average. Terrible if you were 18 years old and PT but better if you became casual. The worst part was that we were only assigned eight or so discount vouchers twice a year to purchase shoes with. More than half of the vouchers were 30% off vouchers which is a joke considering they always have sales on including, 25%, 30% and 40% off sales. The shoes are so cheap to make yet they can't afford to give staff a constant discount like other retail companies do.

The hardest part of the job was the lack of good management, the extremely high turn over rate and the lack of good work culture. There was zero recognition for what you do individually at work. Zero recognition to those who try to help the store succeed. Also calling in fake sick, saying you couldn't do shifts because you wanted to hang out with friends and leaving work three hours early on a six hour shift were very common behaviours within our store from new employees. Really unacceptable and difficult for those who always worked their hours and also really unfair as those who worked hard never got that recognition in rosters by being offered the
  more... better shifts. Most of the original girls quit after three years of employment due to this.

Do not work for this company. There are so many other better companies you can work for which have great work culture and better benefits.
Pros
loved some of my coworkers
Cons
work culture, management, pay
Friendly employees
Store Person (Current Employee) –  Perth WA18 February 2019
Every day is different. Ive learned a lot about the company and how it operates. Always learning new things. The management are always helpful. Everyone gets on well with each other. No job I do is hard.
Horrible
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Australia16 November 2018
I worked at betts on and off for 4 years, and I can say with confidence that this is a horrible company. Disrespectful higher-ups, and condescending managers. The high expectations put on staff members, mixed with the sad wage made for an emotionally draining 4 years.
Pros
Cons
Horrible bosses, low staff discount, sad place to be all round.
Great opportunities
Sales Assistant/2IC (Former Employee) –  Perth WA23 October 2018
Great opportunity to advance my carear and move intersate at the time. Making friendships that have lasted to this day. At the time was a family run busines with great management team.
Awesome place to work.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Victor Harbour SA22 August 2018
I loved working with Betts. My store became a Williams store otherwise I would still be with Betts. As part of the Betts group we were looked after very well with family time looked upon favourably.
Potential employees beware
Retail (Current Employee) –  Canberra ACT20 August 2018
Fast turn over of staff including management for the simple reason this company does not care about their staff.
Lowest pay yet expect more then above and beyond.
No support. No work life balance. Not very good discounts.
Great teams
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gateway WA3 May 2018
The teams are great to work with, always really eager to learn more, a typical day consists of doing stock, serving customers, using the till, its all very known retail things.
Bad Manager
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW7 April 2018
The job would have been fine had it not been for the immature and inexperienced manager who had a habit of talking behind the backs of employees. This ruined the workplace culture and made workers dread coming to work. The power had gone to her head, it was clear that the company gave the manager role to anyone that had worked there for a while.
Pros
Big discounts on shoes
Cons
Bad manager, bad work environment
Terrible enviornment to work in
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC15 February 2018
Employees are treated very poorly. Management is terrible and unprofessional. Toxic workplace environment and dodgy. Company treats part-time and full-time employees like casual staff.
Pros
Cons
Toxic workplace enviornment, terrible management, no bonuses, terrible pay
Terrible job
Part Time Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Australia12 February 2018
I found it to be such a terrible company, with such poor management. The management were fake, unhelpful and condescending and also were very unethical in their dealings with their workers. Felt like Management had no idea what it was like to work in a store and blamed staff for things that go wrong even if it's not the staff or the store manager's fault. They seem to have a belief in their head of how things are and don't understand when things don't match up. Higher management very intimidating to talk to or ask for help or voice a complaint to.

Also the staff discount was very poor in comparison with other retail companies which allow staff a constant discount instead of 8 vouchers over a six month period.

A very cheap company, we were almost always understaffed and working long hours alone. About six months into my employment there was a lot of wages budget cuts, which made it harder to deal with all the customers on a busy day especially when I was by myself but they also were increasing store budgets which were impossible to reach especially when working alone. Very high turn over rate with staff, I had multiple managers during my employment and had the same problems at the other Betts store I worked at just before I left.

One good side was annual leave and sick leave was relatively easy to take and also transferring between stores when I moved cities for university was also easy.

Would not recommend this company to anyone, don't seem to care about their staff at all and only seem to have one focus which is money.
Cons
Management, working alone
Lack of worker acknowledgment and possible advancement.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sydney9 February 2018
No room for job advancment. Minimal wage with no opportunity for bonuses or worker incentives.

Workers go unappreciated and only select managers are supportive/ enjoyable to work with.
Disgusting higher management
Store manager (Former Employee) –  Wanneroo WA24 September 2017
The higher management within this company is a disgrace. Manipulating, condescending, and plain rude! Lost many staff because of poor poor management
Fun, vibrant workplace
Part-time Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Miranda NSW27 June 2017
At Betts I have been provided the opportunity to work with a variety of different people and have worked in a variety of roles. A typical day involves providing quality customer service, money handling, inventory management, analysing sales performance and performance maintenance duties for the store.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Lack of communication with management
Productive and fun team
Sales Assistant (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW26 April 2017
Loved the fast paced work!
Great team and management to work alongside of!
Great training provided as it was my first retail job.
Easy to get along with other team members from other stores and great interactive work inside our own store
Used to be fantastic now disappointing
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC21 December 2016
Was always fun, well supported with good product at great price points.
Now wages budget tight, all shifts reduced and a lot of working on own for long shifts without break coverage. Feel lack of care or consideration for staff.
Really sad as was always fantastic now just seem money hungry and uncaring.
Pros
Discount vouchers
Cons
Long shifts on own, limited regard for their staff
Absolutely no regard to staff and management
Store Manager - Full Time (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC15 November 2016
A typical day would be expecting high KIP'S in a store full of customers and just you working alone for most of the day. The hardest part of the job was losing highly performing staff members due to wage cuts. The most enjoyable part of the job would be meeting the customers.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Long hours and working alone in store hours on end
Fast Paced Positive Environment
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Geelong VIC9 June 2016
A typical day at work is very busy and productive. There is always tasks to complete and customers to attend to. Through working in customer service I have learnt to think on my feet and make proactive decisions to arrive at the best possible outcomes. Friendly and understanding managers and co-workers make this workplace enjoyable and relaxed which makes coming to work easy. The most difficult part of the job is coming across new situations and trying to handle them in the most appropriate way when under pressure, while still following protocol and understanding all aspects. The most enjoyable part of my work is being able to interact with people and creating a positive experience for customers, making sure they leave the store feeling as though they were cared for and assisted to the best of my ability.
great staff and good company to work for
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Kalgoorlie WA8 March 2016
Working at Betts gave me a lot of skills. They encourage development and growth in all fields and the opportunity to progress is great. Most management was great to work with and staff are vibrant and fantastic.
Pros
Breing able to grow and develop
Cons
pay
High fashion strong customer focus, good management
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Canberra, ACT16 November 2015
Great place to work if you love fashion and retail. Great opportunity for young employees to move up to higher management positions with higher pay. Great experience for people wanting to be involved in the fashion industry as a whole. High end training and company values.
Enjoyable job
Retail/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  South Morang VIC3 November 2015
After being in an office environment for many years, customer service role at Betts is a refreshing and enjoyable approach to having contact with the public and assisting them personally. Fun working within team environment. Management easy and approachable.
Pros
Having people contact daily
Cons
disgruntled customers at times