Betts Group Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Literally worst place to work
Part Time Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD12 March 2019
I worked at Betts for three years and can honestly say it was the worst company I have ever worked for.

The management is horrendous - I had seven managers in my time and they were all undertrained 19-24 year olds, with poor management skills and no idea how to foster good work culture.

Typical day at work was me or my other casual work colleague doing all the work the manager's were supposed to do but refused to and left it to their casual staff.

The pay was fairly average. Terrible if you were 18 years old and PT but better if you became casual. The worst part was that we were only assigned eight or so discount vouchers twice a year to purchase shoes with. More than half of the vouchers were 30% off vouchers which is a joke considering they always have sales on including, 25%, 30% and 40% off sales. The shoes are so cheap to make yet they can't afford to give staff a constant discount like other retail companies do.

The hardest part of the job was the lack of good management, the extremely high turn over rate and the lack of good work culture. There was zero recognition for what you do individually at work. Zero recognition to those who try to help the store succeed. Also calling in fake sick, saying you couldn't do shifts because you wanted to hang out with friends and leaving work three hours early on a six hour shift were very common behaviours within our store from new employees. Really unacceptable and difficult for those who always worked their hours and also really unfair as those who worked hard never got that recognition in rosters by being offered the
  more... better shifts. Most of the original girls quit after three years of employment due to this.

Do not work for this company. There are so many other better companies you can work for which have great work culture and better benefits.
Pros
loved some of my coworkers
Cons
work culture, management, pay
Great opportunities
Sales Assistant/2IC (Former Employee) –  Perth WA23 October 2018
Great opportunity to advance my carear and move intersate at the time. Making friendships that have lasted to this day. At the time was a family run busines with great management team.
Bad Manager
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW7 April 2018
The job would have been fine had it not been for the immature and inexperienced manager who had a habit of talking behind the backs of employees. This ruined the workplace culture and made workers dread coming to work. The power had gone to her head, it was clear that the company gave the manager role to anyone that had worked there for a while.
Pros
Big discounts on shoes
Cons
Bad manager, bad work environment
Terrible job
Part Time Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Australia12 February 2018
I found it to be such a terrible company, with such poor management. The management were fake, unhelpful and condescending and also were very unethical in their dealings with their workers. Felt like Management had no idea what it was like to work in a store and blamed staff for things that go wrong even if it's not the staff or the store manager's fault. They seem to have a belief in their head of how things are and don't understand when things don't match up. Higher management very intimidating to talk to or ask for help or voice a complaint to.

Also the staff discount was very poor in comparison with other retail companies which allow staff a constant discount instead of 8 vouchers over a six month period.

A very cheap company, we were almost always understaffed and working long hours alone. About six months into my employment there was a lot of wages budget cuts, which made it harder to deal with all the customers on a busy day especially when I was by myself but they also were increasing store budgets which were impossible to reach especially when working alone. Very high turn over rate with staff, I had multiple managers during my employment and had the same problems at the other Betts store I worked at just before I left.

One good side was annual leave and sick leave was relatively easy to take and also transferring between stores when I moved cities for university was also easy.

Would not recommend this company to anyone, don't seem to care about their staff at all and only seem to have one focus which is money.
Cons
Management, working alone
Lack of worker acknowledgment and possible advancement.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sydney9 February 2018
No room for job advancment. Minimal wage with no opportunity for bonuses or worker incentives.

Workers go unappreciated and only select managers are supportive/ enjoyable to work with.
Fun, vibrant workplace
Part-time Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Miranda NSW27 June 2017
At Betts I have been provided the opportunity to work with a variety of different people and have worked in a variety of roles. A typical day involves providing quality customer service, money handling, inventory management, analysing sales performance and performance maintenance duties for the store.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Lack of communication with management
Productive and fun team
Sales Assistant (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW26 April 2017
Loved the fast paced work!
Great team and management to work alongside of!
Great training provided as it was my first retail job.
Easy to get along with other team members from other stores and great interactive work inside our own store
Used to be fantastic now disappointing
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC21 December 2016
Was always fun, well supported with good product at great price points.
Now wages budget tight, all shifts reduced and a lot of working on own for long shifts without break coverage. Feel lack of care or consideration for staff.
Really sad as was always fantastic now just seem money hungry and uncaring.
Pros
Discount vouchers
Cons
Long shifts on own, limited regard for their staff
Fast Paced Positive Environment
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Geelong VIC9 June 2016
A typical day at work is very busy and productive. There is always tasks to complete and customers to attend to. Through working in customer service I have learnt to think on my feet and make proactive decisions to arrive at the best possible outcomes. Friendly and understanding managers and co-workers make this workplace enjoyable and relaxed which makes coming to work easy. The most difficult part of the job is coming across new situations and trying to handle them in the most appropriate way when under pressure, while still following protocol and understanding all aspects. The most enjoyable part of my work is being able to interact with people and creating a positive experience for customers, making sure they leave the store feeling as though they were cared for and assisted to the best of my ability.
Fun and Close workplace
Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Wa14 August 2015
been with the company a short time but feel as though I have learnt alot, all team members in store and at higher levels are lovely and understading
Friendly environment, with an amazing manger and team.
Sales Assistant - Part-time (Current Employee) –  Macarthur Square, Campbelltown27 April 2015
A typical day at work is to do daily tasks such as clean, stock, handle money, and help customers. Working at Betts has given me the ability to understand the different types of people, and how to handle them. With a manger who has an amazing gift to ensure the staff are happy and to just do well at her job in every aspect. With a friendly team who i have become extremely close friends with, work life has been fun with our friendly challenges. Working for betts can be difficult when its at its business, but this has also taught me how to deal with stress, and to go slower is to to get the job done faster. this way theres less mistake. The best thing, are those amazing happy customers who you help as much as possible and they give you the recognition for that. I have been hugged, offered a tip (but didn't take) and given flowers by people who love how i go to lengths to help them.
Even though i love working here, a job in the industry I am currently studying to be in would be ideal and amazing.
Pros
Discount on shoes
Cons
Dealing with Customer complaints