BHP Billiton Employee Reviews

Fun workplace but no job Secured
Business Improvement Analyst (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD18 November 2018
A typical work day has so many meetings, some productive but many non-productive to many of them. Management don't treat you as a person but just a robot. I wont go to BHP again
Pros
worklife balance
Cons
short break, no job security
A good team, perhaps leaning towards the corporation v Aboriginal cause - the nature of the business.
Community Development Officer (Former Employee) –  Newman WA21 October 2018
There are very skilled and dedicated people in the community section of BHP's workplace. There was good interaction and regular meetings - 500 km distance between team members in the two offices. Training, safety and a pleasant workplace were strong.
I came from a position where I worked closer to the communities we served, it took some time to see our role to be at a higher order of organisation. However, there were several NGOs contracted to bring services to people more directly. workplace, work times, opportunities were all at a high level. Corporate vision of Aboriginal wellbeing was strongly stated and tackled. Maybe a closer evaluation of impacts and follow-up when constraints stopped progress could have helped strengthen the effective impact of BHP's great resources and support in regard to the social effects among the Martu people.
Pros
training, regular communication, conditions broad programs approach
Cons
focal point for community development sometimes missed the individual people on the ground.
Good workplace organized facility
Laundry Worker (Former Employee) –  Olympic Dam SA18 October 2018
Its a good expirience to work in a mining company, the shift is a little bit tough about 5am in the morning until the work finish. Its a very hard job must be always on time and on point enable to wash all the clothings overalls. Co workers are friendly and enjoyable to work with. Its a remote place because its a mining located in the middle of the desert. My first time to work and it was very heavy for a first job. But get used to it as time goes by.
Cons
Bring your own lunch food
this is my review
work pac underground miner (Former Employee) –  Olympic Dam SA5 September 2018
typical day at work was very dark! ive learned a lot about working in the mining underground. the management was good if you needed anything they do there best to help.
Terminal Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Kembla NSW2 September 2018
Day to day management of 55 tonnes capacity oil terminal. Delivering fuels to all marine vessels by way of pipeline and road tankers.
Ensuring compliance to international and local regulations and standards.
Long hours and 7 day on call system.

Interaction with overseas professionals
Pros
Interesting and rewarding
Offshore work
Marine Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Perth WA24 August 2018
Excellent company great personnel offshore and onshore interesting work with lots of variety with a strong safety culture enabled me to spend quality time with young family
Great working environment with open discussions with management
Purchasing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD 400016 August 2018
High volume work load across coal assets in Queensland and New South Wales with thorough processes in place. Supported by management who assist in training and development. High focus in workplace culture with great work life balance.
Great exposure to new technology
Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Perth WA3 July 2018
Great exposure to new technology with good funding and project management strategies and controls. Some wrong people in key role making bad decisions costing the organisation.
Pros
Great site opertunities
Cons
Political
Good job stability and benefits
Administrative assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC25 June 2018
Conservative corporate environment, good job stability, well remunerated. Can be slow to adopt new ideas. Hierarchical organisation where tenure matters more than ability.
Great career
Truck Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Western Australia27 May 2018
BHP is a great company to have worked for the last 10yrs
High regards for family and safety .
Also the training on various types of equipment that gives everyone the chance for further advancement.
fast paced environment
Haulpak Operator (Former Employee) –  mt keith operation25 May 2018
worked with good people and operated haultrucks watercarts good safety culture first time on a mine site got to operate heavy machinery great campsite
Good company !
Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Perth WA8 May 2018
A great company to work for, with many career options and a world wide group of long life, low cost assets.
Workplace culture is sound and focuses on honouring core values and code of conduct.
Most enjoyable part of working for BHP is that there is always someone who is willing to help you, or even provide an alternative idea to yours.
Pros
work life balance options
Cons
approvals can take long because of all the sign off levels.
Geologist (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC13 April 2018
I have reading on google , this campany is must .
I cherched a job for a financement of my doctor degree. I hope to get a job in this campany bhpbilliton
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Great company with great benifits
Contracts Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA17 March 2018
BHPBilliton provided a great place to work with good pay and great benefits such as healthcare and loan finance subsidies.

The town of Port Hedland was a great lifestyle change from living in Perth city
Train Controller
Train Controller Port Hedland (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA14 March 2018
I learnt how to operate the rail activities from a computer room in Port Hedland Nelson Point.

I learnt how to use excel programming to connect wagons to trains, what line they will arrive on and what line they are to depart from.

I learnt that all wagons have to be connected particularly because all the brakes are on a particular side.

I learnt how to track the train, how to monitor the wheel bearing temperatures through heat seekers. How to direct the empty trains into pull off waiting bays to allow the full trains priority to pass.

This job , as an aboriginal ex national park ranger was exciting and enjoyable because I love machinery being a Farmers son. I have the greatest respect and the willingness to continue to learn
Pros
wanting to move to Train Driving with all my knowledge
Cons
doesn't pay well
Hard work but great opportunities for those wanting to progress within the company
Various Full-time & Contract positions (Former Employee) –  Perth WA1 March 2018
Although I enjoyed working with BHP at the time, I am now looking for something with less responsibility/stress.

BHP demand a very high quality of workmanship from all employees to enable them to deliver the great results they have achieved and offer great opportunities to advance within the company for those wishing to better themselves.

Long hours were often part of the role and flexibility was a must.
Pros
Shares
hardest part of the job
Mechanical Plumber/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Olympic Dam SA19 February 2018
Working in tough conditions as it was a smelter shutdown. good accommodation & meals. Good health & safety policies. Good provider of PPE & equipment.
Pros
good salary
Cons
long hrs
Short term 3 month contract for shut at Olympic Dam
HSE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Olympic Dam SA8 February 2018
interesting work , a lot of challengers with many different trades and companies to manage safely.
Employed by BHP directly to manage the safety advisors from the various companies ensuring communication and incident investigation were maintained and continued interaction with the work crews , maintaining all safety KPIs
Great
cleaner doing full cleaning roles (Former Employee) –  Newman WA7 January 2018
I enjoyed working for this company and I guess it's everyone's dream to be working for this company.
Totally enjoyed being apart of this team and hope in the future to secure s full time role with in the company
Employee (Former Employee) –  Australia19 December 2017
The company is going through a positive transformation. Great time to be a part of the company - energetic and pragmatic leadership. The organisation is outcome-driven, provides flexible work hours and friendly culture.
Pros
Mentorship
Cons
Lack of clarity on career advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BHP Billiton. Our community is ready to answer.