BHP Billiton Employee Reviews

Its good we can use the wifi
GENERAL SERVICCES MINER (Former Employee) –  Olympic Dam SA7 April 2019
Need to be more organised with tools, equipment, cars, and heavy machinery.
Need more crews on shift to finish jobs, and need people to be more safety aware.
Pros
1hr lunch breaks
Cons
Needs to look out for their workers
Good work place
Warehouse Operator (Former Employee) –  Newman WA18 January 2019
• Loading and unloading of trucks , containers , vans
• Order picking
• Packing loads for safe transport
• Stock binning
• Stock counting
• Investigations on goods returned to warehouse (RTW’S)
• Constant LMS Training courses
• Handling of dangerous goods and how to identify a DG HAZARD
BHP Olympic game do not make the mistake of working here!!
Road maintenance (Former Employee) –  Roxby Downs Olympic dam12 January 2019
BHP Olympic Dam. This place is absolute shambles!! I worked there for a year it was the worst time of my life!! It is run by juvenile delinquents bullet-proof men under 30 just do what they want! Management like supervises HR inspectors i’m morbidly obese middle age men which constantly flirt with young women coming in now( it’s like the Love boat) get their mates contracts with BHP constantly smoking down there you’re not allowed! I encountered workplace bullying sexual misconduct tormented by management victimised by other staff managements job for the Mate!! I had severe depression so they told me in an hour before my shift on my longer there no excuse!! I complained high up in BHP nothing got done!! And this just did not happen to me and happened to others Olympic Dam is a shocking place to work for BHP do not care!! Because it is careless on safety someone will die near the next 3 to 4 years unfortunately
Pros
Nothing good about Olympic Dam
Cons
Long hours average to good pay
fun workplace
Shutdown Fitter (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA6 January 2019
Carry out daily inspections of plant,reporting defects,keeping the plant running .Great place to work leadership and safety are a big focus with the company.
Pros
great work mates
Cons
swimming pool & hot shower,s& onsweet,s
electrical. fitter/machanic (Former Employee) –  Newcastle NSW3 January 2019
pulu bilatung and add on to bhp dutch bullay,s mine their ritch island in indoneisa speak circhill indo(little).served 4 year,s as electriccal/fitter machanic.good mob to work for.
Pros
good tucker.
Cons
sirfishant time @ on site.
Good place to work with benefits
Crew Development Officer - Rail Operations (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA2 January 2019
BHP looked after their staff very well when I first started work there but it slowly declined over the years with cuts to staff and a lot of the benefits abolished
Pros
Salary
Cons
Long Hours and hot climate
My employer had ethnic culture issues
Dump Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA27 December 2018
This company employed a gang of ethnic cultured staff who had no knowledge of safety nor was their english good , most could not communicate to advise them their were safety issues with their work practises.Croations.
Pros
2 Teams aussie and others
Cons
If my machine was required communication was difficult
Fun workplace but no job Secured
Business Improvement Analyst (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD18 November 2018
A typical work day has so many meetings, some productive but many non-productive to many of them. Management don't treat you as a person but just a robot. I wont go to BHP again
Pros
worklife balance
Cons
short break, no job security
Mt Keith was a great place to work
Mechanical Technician/ Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Perth WA15 November 2018
With a great work life balance and co-workers that were awesome to work with. I would recommend anyone to give BHP a try. Their level of training is extremely high
Great job
Underground Metalliferous Miner/Operator (Current Employee) –  Olympic Dam SA25 October 2018
Great job learnt alot of things working in this environment the company cares alot about its employees and very understanding i woild recommend this company for all looking to start a job in mining
Pros
Great people
Cons
Working away from family
A good team, perhaps leaning towards the corporation v Aboriginal cause - the nature of the business.
Community Development Officer (Former Employee) –  Newman WA21 October 2018
There are very skilled and dedicated people in the community section of BHP's workplace. There was good interaction and regular meetings - 500 km distance between team members in the two offices. Training, safety and a pleasant workplace were strong.
I came from a position where I worked closer to the communities we served, it took some time to see our role to be at a higher order of organisation. However, there were several NGOs contracted to bring services to people more directly. workplace, work times, opportunities were all at a high level. Corporate vision of Aboriginal wellbeing was strongly stated and tackled. Maybe a closer evaluation of impacts and follow-up when constraints stopped progress could have helped strengthen the effective impact of BHP's great resources and support in regard to the social effects among the Martu people.
Pros
training, regular communication, conditions broad programs approach
Cons
focal point for community development sometimes missed the individual people on the ground.
Good workplace organized facility
Laundry Worker (Former Employee) –  Olympic Dam SA18 October 2018
Its a good expirience to work in a mining company, the shift is a little bit tough about 5am in the morning until the work finish. Its a very hard job must be always on time and on point enable to wash all the clothings overalls. Co workers are friendly and enjoyable to work with. Its a remote place because its a mining located in the middle of the desert. My first time to work and it was very heavy for a first job. But get used to it as time goes by.
Cons
Bring your own lunch food
this is my review
work pac underground miner (Former Employee) –  Olympic Dam SA5 September 2018
typical day at work was very dark! ive learned a lot about working in the mining underground. the management was good if you needed anything they do there best to help.
Terminal Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Kembla NSW2 September 2018
Day to day management of 55 tonnes capacity oil terminal. Delivering fuels to all marine vessels by way of pipeline and road tankers.
Ensuring compliance to international and local regulations and standards.
Long hours and 7 day on call system.

Interaction with overseas professionals
Pros
Interesting and rewarding
Cons
A healthy productive inter-shift rivalry.
Mining Technician (Former Employee) –  Mt Whaleback, Newman WA30 August 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my employment with BHP over the 30 years I was employed on Mt Whaleback. I still miss my workmates that I was privileged to know though. We had a great safety culture.
Pros
Comradeship, trust in your workmates, good work atmosphere.
Cons
Some unrealistic goals by management.
Offshore work
Marine Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Perth WA24 August 2018
Excellent company great personnel offshore and onshore interesting work with lots of variety with a strong safety culture enabled me to spend quality time with young family
Great working environment with open discussions with management
Purchasing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD 400016 August 2018
High volume work load across coal assets in Queensland and New South Wales with thorough processes in place. Supported by management who assist in training and development. High focus in workplace culture with great work life balance.
Great exposure to new technology
Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Perth WA3 July 2018
Great exposure to new technology with good funding and project management strategies and controls. Some wrong people in key role making bad decisions costing the organisation.
Pros
Great site opertunities
Cons
Political
Good job stability and benefits
Administrative assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC25 June 2018
Conservative corporate environment, good job stability, well remunerated. Can be slow to adopt new ideas. Hierarchical organisation where tenure matters more than ability.
Great career
Truck Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Western Australia27 May 2018
BHP is a great company to have worked for the last 10yrs
High regards for family and safety .
Also the training on various types of equipment that gives everyone the chance for further advancement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BHP Billiton. Our community is ready to answer.