BHP Billiton Employee Reviews

Good job stability and benefits
Administrative assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC25 June 2018
Conservative corporate environment, good job stability, well remunerated. Can be slow to adopt new ideas. Hierarchical organisation where tenure matters more than ability.
Great career
Truck Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Western Australia27 May 2018
BHP is a great company to have worked for the last 10yrs
High regards for family and safety .
Also the training on various types of equipment that gives everyone the chance for further advancement.
fast paced environment
Haulpak Operator (Former Employee) –  mt keith operation25 May 2018
worked with good people and operated haultrucks watercarts good safety culture first time on a mine site got to operate heavy machinery great campsite
Good company !
Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Perth WA8 May 2018
A great company to work for, with many career options and a world wide group of long life, low cost assets.
Workplace culture is sound and focuses on honouring core values and code of conduct.
Most enjoyable part of working for BHP is that there is always someone who is willing to help you, or even provide an alternative idea to yours.
Pros
work life balance options
Cons
approvals can take long because of all the sign off levels.
Geologist (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC13 April 2018
I have reading on google , this campany is must .
I cherched a job for a financement of my doctor degree. I hope to get a job in this campany bhpbilliton
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Great company with great benifits
Contracts Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA17 March 2018
BHPBilliton provided a great place to work with good pay and great benefits such as healthcare and loan finance subsidies.

The town of Port Hedland was a great lifestyle change from living in Perth city
Train Controller
Train Controller Port Hedland (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA14 March 2018
I learnt how to operate the rail activities from a computer room in Port Hedland Nelson Point.

I learnt how to use excel programming to connect wagons to trains, what line they will arrive on and what line they are to depart from.

I learnt that all wagons have to be connected particularly because all the brakes are on a particular side.

I learnt how to track the train, how to monitor the wheel bearing temperatures through heat seekers. How to direct the empty trains into pull off waiting bays to allow the full trains priority to pass.

This job , as an aboriginal ex national park ranger was exciting and enjoyable because I love machinery being a Farmers son. I have the greatest respect and the willingness to continue to learn
Pros
wanting to move to Train Driving with all my knowledge
Cons
doesn't pay well
Hard work but great opportunities for those wanting to progress within the company
Various Full-time & Contract positions (Former Employee) –  Perth WA1 March 2018
Although I enjoyed working with BHP at the time, I am now looking for something with less responsibility/stress.

BHP demand a very high quality of workmanship from all employees to enable them to deliver the great results they have achieved and offer great opportunities to advance within the company for those wishing to better themselves.

Long hours were often part of the role and flexibility was a must.
Pros
Shares
hardest part of the job
Mechanical Plumber/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Olympic Dam SA19 February 2018
Working in tough conditions as it was a smelter shutdown. good accommodation & meals. Good health & safety policies. Good provider of PPE & equipment.
Pros
good salary
Cons
long hrs
Short term 3 month contract for shut at Olympic Dam
HSE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Olympic Dam SA8 February 2018
interesting work , a lot of challengers with many different trades and companies to manage safely.
Employed by BHP directly to manage the safety advisors from the various companies ensuring communication and incident investigation were maintained and continued interaction with the work crews , maintaining all safety KPIs
Great
cleaner doing full cleaning roles (Former Employee) –  Newman WA7 January 2018
I enjoyed working for this company and I guess it's everyone's dream to be working for this company.
Totally enjoyed being apart of this team and hope in the future to secure s full time role with in the company
Employee (Former Employee) –  Australia19 December 2017
The company is going through a positive transformation. Great time to be a part of the company - energetic and pragmatic leadership. The organisation is outcome-driven, provides flexible work hours and friendly culture.
Pros
Mentorship
Cons
Lack of clarity on career advancement
Workplace was busy and everyone worked as a team to achieve deliverables. It was a great team to work with.
Commissioning Handover Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pilbara WA29 November 2017
I enjoyed the challenge when working with BHP projects team and would not hesitate in working with the projects team again when they become busy again.
Pros
Great Team
Cons
Nil
Great to be able to be part of a team
Process Technician/Control Room Officer (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA11 October 2017
I worked with a great team to be able to start up a Green field site. This was from checking systems, writing all safety documents and passing the information throughout our team.
Also writing start up procedures.
Before startup, we had to walk through the site to check all the piping, Process machinery, safety systems. Any faults were reported and then corrected.
After learning the process, I was integral with passing this information to my peers.
Working in a start up site, there was only 50 personnel in the beginning of the startup. This brought the team together with the buddy system, as well as enjoying their company outside of work.
Pros
Team work, Learning the process, enjoying life outside of the site.
Cons
Anxious of start up. New process. Sometimes not getting enough information.
Great team enviroment. Great pay.
Train Driver (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA4 October 2017
Typical day was driving trains from port the the mines.
Learned to drive trains and work as a team.
Management was hard at times but very understanding.
FIFO life was tough after so many years of doing it. but having a good break I would do it again.
Awesome pay, great people.
Pros
Pay, Job advancement great people.
Cons
long hours, FIFO life.
Professional workplace with a fantastic safety culture
Travel coordinator (Former Employee) –  Newman WA26 September 2017
Varied environment working in Perth, Area C and Newman. Opportunity to move into different areas of the mining industry eg Exploration, NPI and Supply. Continually learning and being reminded of safety in the workplace/personal life.
Good Work Place
Cutter/Bender (Former Employee) –  Darwin NT25 September 2017
Bhp is a great place to work,has great opportunities,if you want to advance ,then keep ya head down and don`t forget after 12 months you get heeps of goodies ,and cheap shares.
Pros
Free goodies cheap shares
enjoyable
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Whyalla SA22 September 2017
I really liked working at BHP made heaps of friends in both the cleaning company and the work place. Work could be fast and hard at times but even though it was great.
Pros
It was a good time and work and pay was great
Cons
got dirty
room to expand work skills and build values within the company
Crane Operator (Current Employee) –  MAC Pilbra WA21 September 2017
working within this company I have learned new skills to enhance my work and values of working in a very fast paced industry, how to cope with everyday pressures of work and home life , values of the company and how to adhere to them and incorporate them in to my work and home life, the value of commencing my daily duties in a safe and productive manner. I enjoy working within such a large cooperation.
Sometimes being a FIFO worker can have its toll on a person, and we are provided with a great support system that is a available 24/7,The team leaders and management are knowledgeable within their fields and supportive, which makes it an enjoyable environment to work in.
Pros
good renumeration and support systems
Cons
working a way from home
Productive work place challenging times OK place if you don't mind FIFO
Process Technician (Current Employee) –  Australia Yandi6 September 2017
Productive work place challenging times OK place if you don't mind FIFO most of the people are great to get along with the area is not to bad a place to work it does get lonely being away from family for 2 weeks at a time but i don't mind it

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BHP Billiton. Our community is ready to answer.