BHP Billiton Employee Reviews in Newman WA

A good team, perhaps leaning towards the corporation v Aboriginal cause - the nature of the business.
Community Development Officer (Former Employee) –  Newman WA21 October 2018
There are very skilled and dedicated people in the community section of BHP's workplace. There was good interaction and regular meetings - 500 km distance between team members in the two offices. Training, safety and a pleasant workplace were strong.
I came from a position where I worked closer to the communities we served, it took some time to see our role to be at a higher order of organisation. However, there were several NGOs contracted to bring services to people more directly. workplace, work times, opportunities were all at a high level. Corporate vision of Aboriginal wellbeing was strongly stated and tackled. Maybe a closer evaluation of impacts and follow-up when constraints stopped progress could have helped strengthen the effective impact of BHP's great resources and support in regard to the social effects among the Martu people.
Pros
training, regular communication, conditions broad programs approach
Cons
focal point for community development sometimes missed the individual people on the ground.
A healthy productive inter-shift rivalry.
Mining Technician (Former Employee) –  Mt Whaleback, Newman WA30 August 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my employment with BHP over the 30 years I was employed on Mt Whaleback. I still miss my workmates that I was privileged to know though. We had a great safety culture.
Pros
Comradeship, trust in your workmates, good work atmosphere.
Cons
Some unrealistic goals by management.
Great
cleaner doing full cleaning roles (Former Employee) –  Newman WA7 January 2018
I enjoyed working for this company and I guess it's everyone's dream to be working for this company.
Totally enjoyed being apart of this team and hope in the future to secure s full time role with in the company
Professional workplace with a fantastic safety culture
Travel coordinator (Former Employee) –  Newman WA26 September 2017
Varied environment working in Perth, Area C and Newman. Opportunity to move into different areas of the mining industry eg Exploration, NPI and Supply. Continually learning and being reminded of safety in the workplace/personal life.
Recommend
Site Administrator (Former Employee) –  Newman WA1 September 2017
Great place to work, very much a family environment with good benefits. Long term career opportunities and a true understanding for work life balance.
Pros
Great supplier benefits
Cons
Very lean operation; job security subject to market conditions
Good training and nothing appears to be a problem
Course Ore Stockpile operator (Current Employee) –  Newman WA30 August 2017
It is easy to communicate with the senior staff Whale Back. They are approachable and are willing to help at all times. I find working there a comfortable experience and have no problems working there.
Pros
Happy work groups
Cons
Dust and heat.
A good place to work with a good team atmosphere.
Fixed Plant Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Newman WA9 June 2017
Busy iron ore mine site.
Close knit, hard working teams.
Commitment to working safely.
Good cooperation and liaison between departments.
Great job experience.
Production recorder at mount Whaleback centre pit control
Production recorder and radio operator (Former Employee) –  Newman24 May 2017
Recording tonnages and all activity in the pit . Blast clearances and loading with all workers .. important job. In control room and dispatching relevant information
Team Work
Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Newman WA28 April 2017
Doing FIFO work for ten years you are always meeting new friends, I loved this part of the job meeting new people, management were always easy to talk to and quick to resolve matters that arised, family was very important and being away sometimes for 4 weeks at a time missing family events would have to be the hardest part. As far as driving I had a mobile office which the scenery was different every day, I enjoyed driving. I have made some wonderful friends and I enjoy their company on the R & Rs. Safety is a huge issue and so it should be I learned to never be complacent as each day I learned something new.
Pros
stable job
Cons
family times
Education, training and meeting amazing people
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Newman WA11 December 2016
As an apprentice at BHP Billiton I learnt a lot about my chosen field and myself.
I met people who encouraged and supported me to strive to do my best.
Pros
Good work-life balance
My job is productive and enjoyable
PLANT OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Newman WA5 September 2016
I have been working for BHP Billiton for 5 years and am enjoying it a lot. I work with a great team every day. I work shift work and I do 7 days and 7 nights.
Pros
great camp facilities and great machinery to operate
Cons
time away from family.
work life balance unbalanced
Mechanical Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Newman WA5 September 2016
long days at work with little downtime while onsite, the management style is dog eat dog, stress levels are off the scale
Ecellent employer
Dump truck operater (Former Employee) –  Newman, WA12 June 2015
A safe and secure company to work for recognising individuals talents to progrees within the industry. Long hours but both mentally and financially rewarding. Management took an interest in their teams and dealt with any concerns quickly, the hardest part of the job is being away from home. The most enjoyable part of the job was good pay and conditions and security of employment
Pros
Excellent conditions
Cons
necessitates working away from home
Good
Production Technician Trainee (Former Employee) –  Newman5 June 2015
A really good place to work. Working with a team is good although the position I held was a sole operator in a Haul Truck for 12 hours per day.
Pros
Safety is very important which is great
Good salary
- Production Technician Level 4 All Rounder (Former Employee) –  Eastern Ridge Newman8 March 2015
prefer new starters, dont listen to experience,full of problems no manager wants to fix,be part of a prestart or toolbox see for yourself
Pros
Lots of experience
Cons
All out of school management
Very professional Team environment
Dump truck operator (Former Employee) –  Newman, WA20 January 2015
Day/Night ops working along side large Haul Trucks in very busy production / open pit site/s. Professional Management / Support Staff there to assist as required. Harmonious working conditions & good camp FIFO lifestyle.
Self motivating professional and goal orientated
Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newman Australia6 January 2015
working at in a pre-dominately male working environment
working with diversity (Malaysia) and multi-lingual workplace
in both instances expectations were met.
Pros
social events
Cons
anti-social and unsafe working environment
Key leadership role in new organisational structure
Senior Planning Officer - Fixed Plant & Shutdowns (Former Employee) –  Newman, WA17 November 2014
Key leadership role on a site experiencing rapid growth, both infrastructure and production targets. Developing team of 10 maintenance planners, with old and new plant sections. Excellent opportunity for career advancement and learning development opportunties.
Pros
Strong growth and development, excellent remuneration.
Cons
Long hours, location.
Dream Job with great security
Plant Operator (Current Employee) –  Newman, WA30 October 2014
I work with a great bunch of people doing what we consider as the most challenging yet rewarding job on site. Challenging being, following plans and converting them into workable areas around site with limited time and machinery. Rewarding being, when we complete a job and it works well and it looks great. We then move onto the next job, our jobs are rarely static or boring. I have learnt a lot about taking pride in work and maintaining a great work ethic. Also how crippling an unsafe workplace and bad communication is. Unfortunately we are surrounded by ladder climbers and poor management. But the pay is great and the company does provide great security.
Pros
Operate state of the art machinery.
Cons
Putting up with all the politics used by bad management.
Safety Manager BHP
Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Newman WA15 August 2014
 Implementation and sustainability strategies for CRM (Catastrophic Risk Management).
 Implement Management of Change and ensure compliance with procedures
 Implement and reinforce the requirements of the Fatal Risk Standards
 Developing processes and driving improvements around contractor safety
 Provide health and safety leadership and management capabilities
 Providing workplace inspections and audit programs and provide assistance with corrective actions and ensure the elimination/minimisation of substandard practices or conditions.
 Conduct inductions, toolbox talks, pre-starts and update records for trend analysis as well as auditing purposes.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BHP Billiton. Our community is ready to answer.