BHP Billiton Employee Reviews in Port Hedland WA

Good place to work with benefits
Crew Development Officer - Rail Operations (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA2 January 2019
BHP looked after their staff very well when I first started work there but it slowly declined over the years with cuts to staff and a lot of the benefits abolished
Pros
Salary
Cons
Long Hours and hot climate
My employer had ethnic culture issues
Dump Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA27 December 2018
This company employed a gang of ethnic cultured staff who had no knowledge of safety nor was their english good , most could not communicate to advise them their were safety issues with their work practises.Croations.
Pros
2 Teams aussie and others
Cons
If my machine was required communication was difficult
Great company with great benifits
Contracts Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA17 March 2018
BHPBilliton provided a great place to work with good pay and great benefits such as healthcare and loan finance subsidies.

The town of Port Hedland was a great lifestyle change from living in Perth city
Train Controller
Train Controller Port Hedland (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA14 March 2018
I learnt how to operate the rail activities from a computer room in Port Hedland Nelson Point.

I learnt how to use excel programming to connect wagons to trains, what line they will arrive on and what line they are to depart from.

I learnt that all wagons have to be connected particularly because all the brakes are on a particular side.

I learnt how to track the train, how to monitor the wheel bearing temperatures through heat seekers. How to direct the empty trains into pull off waiting bays to allow the full trains priority to pass.

This job , as an aboriginal ex national park ranger was exciting and enjoyable because I love machinery being a Farmers son. I have the greatest respect and the willingness to continue to learn
Pros
wanting to move to Train Driving with all my knowledge
Cons
doesn't pay well
Great to be able to be part of a team
Process Technician/Control Room Officer (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA11 October 2017
I worked with a great team to be able to start up a Green field site. This was from checking systems, writing all safety documents and passing the information throughout our team.
Also writing start up procedures.
Before startup, we had to walk through the site to check all the piping, Process machinery, safety systems. Any faults were reported and then corrected.
After learning the process, I was integral with passing this information to my peers.
Working in a start up site, there was only 50 personnel in the beginning of the startup. This brought the team together with the buddy system, as well as enjoying their company outside of work.
Pros
Team work, Learning the process, enjoying life outside of the site.
Cons
Anxious of start up. New process. Sometimes not getting enough information.
Great team enviroment. Great pay.
Train Driver (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA4 October 2017
Typical day was driving trains from port the the mines.
Learned to drive trains and work as a team.
Management was hard at times but very understanding.
FIFO life was tough after so many years of doing it. but having a good break I would do it again.
Awesome pay, great people.
Pros
Pay, Job advancement great people.
Cons
long hours, FIFO life.
not a bad bunch of guys to work with and friendly
FIXED PLANT BOILERMAKER (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA4 September 2017
long hours especially in summer when temps are high but a great team based crew and never not busy different experiences on night shift always better and went faster and always left satisfied
Pros
days off from shift
Cons
long hot summers
Very people oriented
Maintenance Resource Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA1 August 2017
BHP Billiton Iron Ore was one of the best jobs i had had in a long time. it gave me the opportunity to learn new skills and advance within my role. It was proactive in promoting a safe workplace and practices and was instrumental in providing me with the tools and confidence to proceed in my future endeavors.
Pros
Proactive with career advancement
Cons
My role was very intense with long hours and hefty deadlines to meet.
Head down to avoid the radar
Supply Officer (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA9 January 2017
Worked in supply on a fixed term contract was hesitant once I got this job as I had heard rumours about the culture at the Nelson point warehouse. Everything I was told all correct glad I pulled the plug early.

In hindsite if I had of come to work did nothing, bludged, bent the rules did the bare minimum I would've fit in.

Speaking up put a target on my back and out the door I went.

When management don't follow the "charter values" why bother.
Pros
Good salary, great camp, supervisor and my team were great.
Cons
Bullying, supervisor threating violence against staff, poor culture, bullying and harassment ignored by Superintendant, poor work practices
The enviroment at times was fun but in a split second it could be frustrating.
Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA25 October 2016
The guys were great but management needs a overhaul.
To watch my back.
The correct way to maintain a locomotive.
The hardest part of the job was being told you are doing incorrect work from management who of have never done the job before.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with friends and flying home.
Pros
Money
Cons
Ignorant management
good company to expand your knowledge
FIXED PLANT MECHANICAL FITTER (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA15 August 2016
great employment, many opportunities for professional and personal advancement.
coastal WA had many exciting destinations to explore during downtime.

overall a great employer
Family Friendly Roster
Acting Shift Supervisor / Senior Shift Technician (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA3 August 2016
Every day presented new challenges within the Port environment in relation to time constraints or a Breakdown but challenges that I felt equipped to deal with whilst gaining extensive Fixed Plant knowledge and experience over the duration of my employment .
The employees and contractors that I had been fortunate enough to work with had made the task generally a little easier to meet the time constraints or allocated deadlines and quiet often resulting in the plant to be handed back well before the the allocated deadline ..
Pros
Roster, People
Cons
Very hot conditions, Remote
Work lifestyle balance
Senior Production Technician (Current Employee) –  Port Hedland WA25 July 2016
Good relationships with common goals prioritized.
Challenges include meeting targets and maintaining crews focus on the 1 percenters.
Pros
Roster
It was a good place to learn how a large company functions
Examiner -Ore Cars (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA5 May 2016
A typical day involves shift work and being rested, alert and punctual to work with a good work ethic and team driven attitude.
Team Leader/ Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA6 March 2016
it is just a job that paid the bills and provided job security go to work do your job and go home to family and thats all you need
Storeman/Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA29 February 2016
Tough company to work for, most people working for BHP are driven by money. Nothing wrong with that I guess , Long shifts the killer
good work life balance
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland, WA26 October 2015
great company too work for, lots of career advancement and training available.
Always felt safe at work.
Made some good friends while working here (great for networking)
Pros
good salary and work balance
Cons
working away from family
Bureaucratic, slow and needlessly complicated
A&I Engineer (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland, WA1 July 2015
Worked in an engineering section based in Port Hedland and found the company culture slow, bureaucratic and very silo'd. Difficult to gain support on initiatives with poor and unhelpful management culture. Unhappy workforce who stay on only due to the excellent salary and benefits offered. There wasn't ever a process that couldn't have been made more complicated and bureaucratic! Unfortunately culture stifled workplace initiative and creativity
Pros
Excellent salary and remuneration
Cons
Poor management culture, lack of support, lack of career progress, overly complicated processes
Dynamic company that looks after their people.
Communications Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland, WA28 March 2015
Working with a large team in the Track and Signal section with interaction between multifaceted work groups spread over a large geographical area was challenging and rewarding. Collaboration and teamwork formed a major part of the role. The management team focused on three pillars for success, Safety, Volume and Cost.
The most difficult part of the role was managing remote teams while trying to meet the day to day challenges of working in a fast paced organisation.
My team of highly qualified and motivated technicians made my role enjoyable and the main reason for our success.
Pros
Excellent renumeration.
Cons
Remote area role
Typical FIFO - I went there to work and earn good money
TPO - Rail Protection Officer (Current Employee) –  Port Hedland29 November 2014
Typical FIFO - I went there to do a particular supervisors job and achieved what I wanted for the companies I worked for by setting high work and safety standards
Pros
Good accomadation and life style if that suits you
Cons
Long hours but that is what I expected and if I didnt like that then dont go to these jobs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BHP Billiton. Our community is ready to answer.