BHP Billiton Employee Reviews for Production Technician

Production Technician 9/89 - 9/2015
Production Execution Technician (Former Employee) –  Olympic Dam SA27 May 2017
Had many varying and different positions throughout the extent of my working career at Western Mining / BHPBilliton, learning and operating various different pieces of equipment, including molten metal handling, processing anode furnace and casting anodes, forklift driving, control room operator and acid plant technician.
Team Work
Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Newman WA28 April 2017
Doing FIFO work for ten years you are always meeting new friends, I loved this part of the job meeting new people, management were always easy to talk to and quick to resolve matters that arised, family was very important and being away sometimes for 4 weeks at a time missing family events would have to be the hardest part. As far as driving I had a mobile office which the scenery was different every day, I enjoyed driving. I have made some wonderful friends and I enjoy their company on the R & Rs. Safety is a huge issue and so it should be I learned to never be complacent as each day I learned something new.
Pros
stable job
Cons
family times
The enviroment at times was fun but in a split second it could be frustrating.
Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA25 October 2016
The guys were great but management needs a overhaul.
To watch my back.
The correct way to maintain a locomotive.
The hardest part of the job was being told you are doing incorrect work from management who of have never done the job before.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with friends and flying home.
Pros
Money
Cons
Ignorant management
great crew
Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Mt Keith16 May 2016
Mt Keith was enjoyable to work at, the crew was great upper management was wonderful. Everyone watched out for each other.
Pros
great friends made from crew
Cons
no cons
Good company to work for. Gave me a start in the industry (I was completely green) and provided opportunities for learning new skills.
Refinery Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Olympic Dam, SA9 May 2015
Worked on the 'Sportsman roster' (5/5, 4/4 5/4 rotating) but would have preferred 8/6 or 2/1. Employed me as a complete newbie, and having no experience in the industry, provided ample opportunities to learn new skills and advance into my role. Like all large organizations, there were probably too many middle management, which could sometimes hamper decision making, thus resulting in jobs and tasks perhaps taking longer than they really should have. Having said that, the safety culture was good and the lifestyle and salary not too bad.
Pros
Learning opportunities, quarterly bonuses.
Cons
Long bus ride to site (not fifo).
Good salary
- Production Technician Level 4 All Rounder (Former Employee) –  Eastern Ridge Newman8 March 2015
prefer new starters, dont listen to experience,full of problems no manager wants to fix,be part of a prestart or toolbox see for yourself
Pros
Lots of experience
Cons
All out of school management
production is a must but great working atmosphere
Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Newman, WA21 January 2014
great company to work for,good roster and good team enviroment which makes the day more pleasant as you are working long hours.The tonnes we aim to achive on a shift can be done without taking short cuts in a safe manner which gives you good job satisfaction.When you have management that is prepared work with and listen to experienced workers some ideas is always a win win and by far makes it a more enjoyable place to work.