BHP Billiton Management reviews

Terminal Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Kembla NSW2 September 2018
Day to day management of 55 tonnes capacity oil terminal. Delivering fuels to all marine vessels by way of pipeline and road tankers.
Ensuring compliance to international and local regulations and standards.
Long hours and 7 day on call system.

Interaction with overseas professionals
Pros
Interesting and rewarding
Cons
Great working environment with open discussions with management
Purchasing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD 400016 August 2018
High volume work load across coal assets in Queensland and New South Wales with thorough processes in place. Supported by management who assist in training and development. High focus in workplace culture with great work life balance.
Great exposure to new technology
Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Perth WA3 July 2018
Great exposure to new technology with good funding and project management strategies and controls. Some wrong people in key role making bad decisions costing the organisation.
Pros
Great site opertunities
Cons
Political
Great team enviroment. Great pay.
Train Driver (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA4 October 2017
Typical day was driving trains from port the the mines.
Learned to drive trains and work as a team.
Management was hard at times but very understanding.
FIFO life was tough after so many years of doing it. but having a good break I would do it again.
Awesome pay, great people.
Pros
Pay, Job advancement great people.
Cons
long hours, FIFO life.
room to expand work skills and build values within the company
Crane Operator (Current Employee) –  MAC Pilbra WA21 September 2017
working within this company I have learned new skills to enhance my work and values of working in a very fast paced industry, how to cope with everyday pressures of work and home life , values of the company and how to adhere to them and incorporate them in to my work and home life, the value of commencing my daily duties in a safe and productive manner. I enjoy working within such a large cooperation.
Sometimes being a FIFO worker can have its toll on a person, and we are provided with a great support system that is a available 24/7,The team leaders and management are knowledgeable within their fields and supportive, which makes it an enjoyable environment to work in.
Pros
good renumeration and support systems
Cons
working a way from home
A good place to work with a good roster.
Manager /Operator Area C Mine Site (Former Employee) –  Area C24 August 2017
One of the best camps I've stayed in (Area C). Good training opportunities and excellent support from the management. Worked with a team that all worked well together.
Great Opportunities for career advancement and fantastic life/work balance
Supervisor Drilling Logistics - Exploration (Current Employee) –  McKinlay QLD9 July 2017
BHP offers Great Opportunities for career advancement and fantastic life/work balance for employees.
Management has experience in the fields it manages and the workplace culture fosters one of professionalism and safety yet mateship.
Head down to avoid the radar
Supply Officer (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA9 January 2017
Worked in supply on a fixed term contract was hesitant once I got this job as I had heard rumours about the culture at the Nelson point warehouse. Everything I was told all correct glad I pulled the plug early.

In hindsite if I had of come to work did nothing, bludged, bent the rules did the bare minimum I would've fit in.

Speaking up put a target on my back and out the door I went.

When management don't follow the "charter values" why bother.
Pros
Good salary, great camp, supervisor and my team were great.
Cons
Bullying, supervisor threating violence against staff, poor culture, bullying and harassment ignored by Superintendant, poor work practices
They take take take and push push push. I
All-rounder Operator (Current Employee) –  WAIO5 December 2016
Iv never worked for a company that spews out soooooo much propaganda and lies.
They love having flash web page and pretty positive posters and love to project themselves as this caring and warm family friendly business, it's all smoke n mirrors! Greedy lying full of greedy management and have the mentality that we own you .
Pros
It's a job
Cons
We're do I start
The enviroment at times was fun but in a split second it could be frustrating.
Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA25 October 2016
The guys were great but management needs a overhaul.
To watch my back.
The correct way to maintain a locomotive.
The hardest part of the job was being told you are doing incorrect work from management who of have never done the job before.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with friends and flying home.
Pros
Money
Cons
Ignorant management
Productive team environment
1SAP Specialist, IPRO (Current Employee) –  Perth WA10 October 2016
Change fatigue, years of head count culling, a sense of a lack of direction. No training or real proper career development.
Pros
One free can of coke a day
Cons
Lack of direction, integrity, honesty and development.
A great place to work as there were arorund 100 empoyees so we were like one big family
Manager (Former Employee) –  Kambalda WA30 September 2016
Day to day operations were full on and I learned a lot about contract management. We had a small management team for the size of the concentrator but always got the job done.Managers changed regularly so this was sometimes a distraction for employees. I enjoyed my time at Kambalda as there were always fresh challenges to undertake within the role.
Pros
Company strives to ensure that everybody goes home safe every day
Cons
Outdated procedures restrict safe & reliable production
Not great development or advancement
Business Partners (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC28 September 2016
Management is not very good, they are more concerned with looking after their friends than putting the right people in roles, which has led to a culture of fear and animosity.
Pros
Cons
Poor culture
Shotfirer (Former Employee) –  Mount Arthur NSW26 September 2016
Great place to work and with a great bunch of people. Just no job security. Great rosters available and well as pay packet. Management is for the boys.
Pros
Great work mates
Cons
Boys club in management
Fantastic place to work
System Infrastructure Co-Ordinator / FOH Manager (Current Employee) –  Perth Central Business District WA7 September 2016
Awesome group of people with a great outlook on both work ad social like, Fair management team and always willing to assist where possible to complete a project
Pros
Short Commute
Cons
Expensive parking
work life balance unbalanced
Mechanical Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Newman WA5 September 2016
long days at work with little downtime while onsite, the management style is dog eat dog, stress levels are off the scale
Great camp and facilities, solid SME fleet
Mine Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Perth WA13 August 2016
Management are ruthless particularly mining senior dept leaders. Since the down turn their attitude towards their people is there are plenty of operators out there willing to take your job. Upper leadership are hypocritical and untrustworthy, safety is just a word to them unfortunately. Its all about production at Yandi. Worst company I have ever worked for as far as their care for their people is concerned, everyone at that site are fearful for their jobs day in day out and senior leadership seem to revel in it.
Pros
Great camp and pay rates.
Cons
No chance of advancement/ weak leadership/ Culture terrible
was a great place to work friendly enjoyable
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Western Australia4 April 2016
Days were busy no stress, learnt to work as a team get on together management was keen to keep things moving without putting pressure on anyone in particular there was nothing hard unless you were pulling the snake around for the electric loader.The most enjoyable part was going home at the end of the shift.
Pros
were fed breakfast, smokoes, lunch and dinners.
Cons
sometimes extra long shifts
Good working conditions. Pleasant colleagues
Temporary Office Support (Former Employee) –  Melbourne Head Office3 April 2016
High standard of work expected. Emphasis on work safety. Work environment facilities excellent.
In most departments in which I worked, management style was good. One department was bad in that the head of department could be considered a bully.
I most enjoyed working in the science technology division where all staff members were pleasant individuals and the work interesting.
Pros
Good staff facilities.
Professional and Capable Workforce, a Workplace striving for excellence
BPDC – Supply Analysis & Improvement (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA3 March 2016
A Day at work would consist of constant review of end to end Supply process performance and compliance, monitoring of SAP System functionality and troubleshooting/support of Purchasing, Contracts, Warehouse and Inventory/Logistics teams. An excellent work group keen to learn and adhere to a newly implemented SAP systems, challenging at times was changing perceptions and have teams pulling together on the same direction, especially at times of uncertainty. Enjoyable and rewarding to see the results of a job well done, when regularly monitoring key performance indicators and pre-disposition of co-workers to perform their daily tasks.
Pros
Office Lay-outs and equipment
Cons
People management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BHP Billiton. Our community is ready to answer.