BHP Billiton Management reviews

BHP Olympic game do not make the mistake of working here!!
Road maintenance (Former Employee) –  Roxby Downs Olympic dam12 January 2019
BHP Olympic Dam. This place is absolute shambles!! I worked there for a year it was the worst time of my life!! It is run by juvenile delinquents bullet-proof men under 30 just do what they want! Management like supervises HR inspectors i’m morbidly obese middle age men which constantly flirt with young women coming in now( it’s like the Love boat) get their mates contracts with BHP constantly smoking down there you’re not allowed! I encountered workplace bullying sexual misconduct tormented by management victimised by other staff managements job for the Mate!! I had severe depression so they told me in an hour before my shift on my longer there no excuse!! I complained high up in BHP nothing got done!! And this just did not happen to me and happened to others Olympic Dam is a shocking place to work for BHP do not care!! Because it is careless on safety someone will die near the next 3 to 4 years unfortunately
Pros
Nothing good about Olympic Dam
Cons
Long hours average to good pay
Fun workplace but no job Secured
Business Improvement Analyst (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD18 November 2018
A typical work day has so many meetings, some productive but many non-productive to many of them. Management don't treat you as a person but just a robot. I wont go to BHP again
Pros
worklife balance
Cons
short break, no job security
Terminal Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Kembla NSW2 September 2018
Day to day management of 55 tonnes capacity oil terminal. Delivering fuels to all marine vessels by way of pipeline and road tankers.
Ensuring compliance to international and local regulations and standards.
Long hours and 7 day on call system.

Interaction with overseas professionals
Pros
Interesting and rewarding
Cons
A healthy productive inter-shift rivalry.
Mining Technician (Former Employee) –  Mt Whaleback, Newman WA30 August 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my employment with BHP over the 30 years I was employed on Mt Whaleback. I still miss my workmates that I was privileged to know though. We had a great safety culture.
Pros
Comradeship, trust in your workmates, good work atmosphere.
Cons
Some unrealistic goals by management.
Great working environment with open discussions with management
Purchasing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD 400016 August 2018
High volume work load across coal assets in Queensland and New South Wales with thorough processes in place. Supported by management who assist in training and development. High focus in workplace culture with great work life balance.
Great exposure to new technology
Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Perth WA3 July 2018
Great exposure to new technology with good funding and project management strategies and controls. Some wrong people in key role making bad decisions costing the organisation.
Pros
Great site opertunities
Cons
Political
Not a good place to work
Power Station Controller (Former Employee) –  Ravensthorpe WA3 November 2017
I worked there for 12 months getting the plant up and running and after that they shut the plant down and made us all redundant, management were ok and the job wasn't hard
Great team enviroment. Great pay.
Train Driver (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA4 October 2017
Typical day was driving trains from port the the mines.
Learned to drive trains and work as a team.
Management was hard at times but very understanding.
FIFO life was tough after so many years of doing it. but having a good break I would do it again.
Awesome pay, great people.
Pros
Pay, Job advancement great people.
Cons
long hours, FIFO life.
room to expand work skills and build values within the company
Crane Operator (Current Employee) –  MAC Pilbra WA21 September 2017
working within this company I have learned new skills to enhance my work and values of working in a very fast paced industry, how to cope with everyday pressures of work and home life , values of the company and how to adhere to them and incorporate them in to my work and home life, the value of commencing my daily duties in a safe and productive manner. I enjoy working within such a large cooperation.
Sometimes being a FIFO worker can have its toll on a person, and we are provided with a great support system that is a available 24/7,The team leaders and management are knowledgeable within their fields and supportive, which makes it an enjoyable environment to work in.
Pros
good renumeration and support systems
Cons
working a way from home
Great Opportunities for career advancement and fantastic life/work balance
Supervisor Drilling Logistics - Exploration (Current Employee) –  McKinlay QLD9 July 2017
BHP offers Great Opportunities for career advancement and fantastic life/work balance for employees.
Management has experience in the fields it manages and the workplace culture fosters one of professionalism and safety yet mateship.
Contract position for 6 weeks
Human Resource Officer (Former Employee) –  Bunbury WA29 June 2017
Excellent company to work for
Flexible and good benefits
Great culture and management
highly recommended as employer of choice
Learning and development opportunities
Lacks effective communication between management and remote operations
Inventory Controller (Former Employee) –  Bowen Basin QLD10 May 2017
Lacks effective communication between management and remote operations which negatively influences supply chain processes and other maintenance procedures.
Team Work
Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Newman WA28 April 2017
Doing FIFO work for ten years you are always meeting new friends, I loved this part of the job meeting new people, management were always easy to talk to and quick to resolve matters that arised, family was very important and being away sometimes for 4 weeks at a time missing family events would have to be the hardest part. As far as driving I had a mobile office which the scenery was different every day, I enjoyed driving. I have made some wonderful friends and I enjoy their company on the R & Rs. Safety is a huge issue and so it should be I learned to never be complacent as each day I learned something new.
Pros
stable job
Cons
family times
Head down to avoid the radar
Supply Officer (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA9 January 2017
Worked in supply on a fixed term contract was hesitant once I got this job as I had heard rumours about the culture at the Nelson point warehouse. Everything I was told all correct glad I pulled the plug early.

In hindsite if I had of come to work did nothing, bludged, bent the rules did the bare minimum I would've fit in.

Speaking up put a target on my back and out the door I went.

When management don't follow the "charter values" why bother.
Pros
Good salary, great camp, supervisor and my team were great.
Cons
Bullying, supervisor threating violence against staff, poor culture, bullying and harassment ignored by Superintendant, poor work practices
Relatively productive place to work
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Perth WA29 December 2016
A workplace where constant pressure to perform but interesting, however management always changing procedures/processes with a frequent focus on non-value adding tasks.

Co-workers are very good and solid team spirit where we help each other.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
They take take take and push push push. I
All-rounder Operator (Current Employee) –  WAIO5 December 2016
Iv never worked for a company that spews out soooooo much propaganda and lies.
They love having flash web page and pretty positive posters and love to project themselves as this caring and warm family friendly business, it's all smoke n mirrors! Greedy lying full of greedy management and have the mentality that we own you .
Pros
It's a job
Cons
We're do I start
The enviroment at times was fun but in a split second it could be frustrating.
Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA25 October 2016
The guys were great but management needs a overhaul.
To watch my back.
The correct way to maintain a locomotive.
The hardest part of the job was being told you are doing incorrect work from management who of have never done the job before.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with friends and flying home.
Pros
Money
Cons
Ignorant management
A great place to work with a great management team
Safety Systems Specialist (Former Employee) –  Central Queensland23 October 2016
A typical day at work with BMC at South Walker Creek Coal Mine included the review of High Risk Task procedures and training requirements, this also led to the need to develop audit tools for Workplace Inspections, Equipment Inspections, VOC training requirements and development of site wide Training Matrix' for individual employees and contracting companies.

In this role my greatest learning centred around the different requirements and documents required to perform tasks.

the management based at this mine site were very pro-active towards safety and implementing changes to reduce risk and improve efficiencies of high risk tasks.

The hardest part of this role was adjusting to the different requirements for performing basic (everyday) tasks as I had previously worked with some more regulated sites.

The most enjoyable part of my time at this site was leading revisions of site specific Policies and Procedures which allowed me to introduce some best practice methods to everyday (basic) tasks
Pros
Enjoyable workplace, Great management team
Cons
No real con's
Productive team environment
1SAP Specialist, IPRO (Current Employee) –  Perth WA10 October 2016
Change fatigue, years of head count culling, a sense of a lack of direction. No training or real proper career development.
Pros
One free can of coke a day
Cons
Lack of direction, integrity, honesty and development.
A great place to work as there were arorund 100 empoyees so we were like one big family
Manager (Former Employee) –  Kambalda WA30 September 2016
Day to day operations were full on and I learned a lot about contract management. We had a small management team for the size of the concentrator but always got the job done.Managers changed regularly so this was sometimes a distraction for employees. I enjoyed my time at Kambalda as there were always fresh challenges to undertake within the role.
Pros
Company strives to ensure that everybody goes home safe every day
Cons
Outdated procedures restrict safe & reliable production

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BHP Billiton. Our community is ready to answer.