BHP Billiton Management reviews

Business for the short term employment
Work Instruction Developer (Former Employee) –  Olympic Dam SA25 November 2015
As a mining organisation BHP Billiton thrives on success and positive outcomes. During my time at BHP Billiton there were various restructuring cycles and management changes. However this did not deter the business from doing what it did best, making ore to sell.

The management had an interesting style which included a blame culture, the team that I was working with was part of changing that culture and we had positive results.

A typical day for me was to create, amend and delete documentation for maintenance and safety procedures. This required communication from management, maintenance crews and WHS representatives.

I left the business as a result of the recent downsizing at the mine and as a casual employee I decided to leave on my own accord. With the changes that my team was involved in across site, I would happily recommend and even suggest that employment at Olympic Dam is a great career move.

They have a great learning culture and the new personnel that are working under the new Mine Manager understand that the business is just that and are now running it as such for a better future.
Pros
Good income
Cons
no weekends, remote location, no overtime
Challenging and rewarding
Graduate Project Engineer / Civil Study Leader (Current Employee) –  Brisbane Central Business District QLD31 October 2015
A typical day at work; Constant problem solving
What you learned; How to articulate business cases directly and efficiently
Management; Encouraging and supportive of development
Your co-workers; Willing to help
The Hardest part of the job; The everyday dynamic challenges
The most enjoyable part of the day. Overcoming issues and finding solutions
Dynamic, safety focused, team members dedicated
FIXED PLANT MAINTENANCE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Olympic Dam, SA13 September 2015
Position is rostered as a12hr period but due to the dynamics 13hrs was the average...rotating shift of 5/4-4/5.
Ability to work on an extensive range of automated equipment [from dewatering and crushing through to a train system].
Training met the requirements of the role.
The crew were highly motivated and clear in direction concerning safety, suggestions for improvement, quality of technical ability.
Developed leading various size teams of different skill sets in different situations -daily operational maintenance through to shutdown activities; developed planning and ability to handle breakdown management effectively
Pros
training and exposure to various systems
Cons
reactivity to act on suggestion for improvements
Good work environment
Underground miner (Former Employee) –  Perth W.A2 September 2015
The years i spent with the company was very enjoyable, Good team environment, Safety was the number one priority management were very supportive to all employees.
Pros
Good Camp
Cons
Long Hours
Bureaucratic, slow and needlessly complicated
A&I Engineer (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland, WA1 July 2015
Worked in an engineering section based in Port Hedland and found the company culture slow, bureaucratic and very silo'd. Difficult to gain support on initiatives with poor and unhelpful management culture. Unhappy workforce who stay on only due to the excellent salary and benefits offered. There wasn't ever a process that couldn't have been made more complicated and bureaucratic! Unfortunately culture stifled workplace initiative and creativity
Pros
Excellent salary and remuneration
Cons
Poor management culture, lack of support, lack of career progress, overly complicated processes
Boys club promotions and rampant bullying
Geologist (Former Employee) –  WA24 June 2015
Supervisors were mostly promoted during the last boom when they needed anyone to fill positions so they are not particularly good at supervising or working with their direct reports. People are so desperate to get ahead they step on anyone they can. Terrible work place, awful culture.

Most jobs are pretty limiting as well. As a professional you have a small set of tasks so there isn't much room for people who actually want to think in their role.
Pros
Money is ok, most rosters aren't too bad.
Cons
Management, culture.
Ecellent employer
Dump truck operater (Former Employee) –  Newman, WA12 June 2015
A safe and secure company to work for recognising individuals talents to progrees within the industry. Long hours but both mentally and financially rewarding. Management took an interest in their teams and dealt with any concerns quickly, the hardest part of the job is being away from home. The most enjoyable part of the job was good pay and conditions and security of employment
Pros
Excellent conditions
Cons
necessitates working away from home
State of the art facilities, stunning river views
Mine Controller (Current Employee) –  Perth14 May 2015
Conform with BHP Billiton Charter, the BHP Billiton Group Level Documents, Code of Conduct and relevant statutory obligations. Ensure all injuries, incidents near misses or hazards are reported in compliance with the WAIO incident reporting guidelines. Use established systems to recognise and and control at risk behaviours and situations. Implement new and amended mine work and liase with site supervision in the event of an emergency being called, and assist as required. Optimise the fleet management system to minimise disruption and maximise productivity, efficiency and safety.

BHP works out of the City Square tower in Perth and has amazing views of the river. The role is based on a Sportsman roster which is an even time roster incorporating day/night shifts. The state of the art facilities include virtual whiteboards and video conferencing facilities, 550 bicycle racks with ample lockers, showers and change room amenities and a large outdoor terrace with barbecues.
Good company to work for. Gave me a start in the industry (I was completely green) and provided opportunities for learning new skills.
Refinery Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Olympic Dam, SA9 May 2015
Worked on the 'Sportsman roster' (5/5, 4/4 5/4 rotating) but would have preferred 8/6 or 2/1. Employed me as a complete newbie, and having no experience in the industry, provided ample opportunities to learn new skills and advance into my role. Like all large organizations, there were probably too many middle management, which could sometimes hamper decision making, thus resulting in jobs and tasks perhaps taking longer than they really should have. Having said that, the safety culture was good and the lifestyle and salary not too bad.
Pros
Learning opportunities, quarterly bonuses.
Cons
Long bus ride to site (not fifo).
Dynamic company that looks after their people.
Communications Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland, WA28 March 2015
Working with a large team in the Track and Signal section with interaction between multifaceted work groups spread over a large geographical area was challenging and rewarding. Collaboration and teamwork formed a major part of the role. The management team focused on three pillars for success, Safety, Volume and Cost.
The most difficult part of the role was managing remote teams while trying to meet the day to day challenges of working in a fast paced organisation.
My team of highly qualified and motivated technicians made my role enjoyable and the main reason for our success.
Pros
Excellent renumeration.
Cons
Remote area role
I enjoyed my career at BHP Billiton
Executive Secretary (Former Employee) –  Collie WA11 March 2015
I gained a lot of experience working with executive management in a diverse culture within the mining industry. I worked well with co-workers and external stakeholders eg Dept of Mines and Joint Venturers. I enjoyed working with others, often it was hard to personnel to find someone to assist them with their daily needs, typing, travel and training requirements, maintenance issues, catering etc. I found communication often was a hurdle in such a large organisation but overall I loved my job and the people I worked with.
Pros
Incentives, private health care covered, Rdo
Cons
travel was 80 minutes per day
Interesting and chalenging place to work.
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Leinster9 March 2015
Broad range of underground mining experience and career chioces available. Developed good knowlege of underground mining in hard rock enviroment with sound safety and management practices.
Good salary
- Production Technician Level 4 All Rounder (Former Employee) –  Eastern Ridge Newman8 March 2015
prefer new starters, dont listen to experience,full of problems no manager wants to fix,be part of a prestart or toolbox see for yourself
Pros
Lots of experience
Cons
All out of school management
Chaotic management.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Yandi Mine, WA3 March 2015
Chaotic site management with continuous changes to everything what is as well managed poorly with many external advisors pushing the changes but not fully understanding the mine situation.
Bad
Plant Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Muswellbrook, NSW22 February 2015
Good workers there very bad management there in the maintenance department. There out to make the place the most unhappy workforce in the hunter valley, moral???? oh that's right there isn't any.
Pros
Money/ people
Cons
Management!!!
Very bad culture negative workplace
Plant Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Mount Arthur, NSW22 February 2015
During my time at mt Arthur BHP it started out to be quite a good place to work, a lot of management changes happened and so did the moral of the whole workplace. People don't go above what they have to do now as before nearly all the people I had dealings with were above and beyond what had to happen.
The maintenance department went from giving people the freedom of making decision to dictating what and when you could do something. Even going as far as timing toilet breaks. They try to intimidate you with job cuts and spreading rumours throughout the place to try and scare the workers. The biggest thing I did have a problem with at mt Arthur coal was the LIES!!! from management you can nearly say that anything that came from their mouths were LIES!!!
That's my Rant.
Pros
Good Money/Good work mates
Cons
Management!!!
Good place to work. Good people and equipment.
Operator Underground (Current Employee) –  Cannington Mine20 February 2015
Loader operations managing up to 6 cat trucks at a time. Good variety of work. Doing development most of the time but also feeding trucks from the stope or stope to the ore pass.
When I started at Cannington Mine I started at building bulkheads, to service work and then was asked to utilize my drilling experience to take on the raise drilling operations at the mine as all the operators they had a low amount or drilling experience and the Companies procedures were lacking the safety requirements and procedures to operate.While the raise boring was not required I did stope charging and started driving dump trucks. Soon I learnt to drive loaders and they threw me in the deep end and got me doing the development mucking straight away. Development mucking at Cannington Mine is about 50% through past fill and most of it is quite wet and green. Very challenging to do as it is very boggy and you have to deliver the heading on line, on grade and the working surface is safe for people to work on and the drainage is correct.
The management is great. If you want an example of how to manage a mine site or any company, go to Cannington Mine. The people have respect for each other and the place runs like clock work. When it does not, we got a plan to get it back on track. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people who work there and the equipment was top class.
Pros
Challanging
Cons
Paste mucking, nearly drove me mad trying to get it right.
Good place to work and great guys to work with.
Operator (Former Employee) –  Newcastle2 February 2015
Monitoring the operation of and running an Air Separation Plant to produce liquid and gaseous oxygen, nitrogen and argon to be used in steelmaking by the BHP and to provide liquid product for CIG and Linde Gas companies. I learned how to produce the products we supplied and how the process worked. Management was very good at providing feedback on our work performance. My co-workers were a great bunch of guys to work with. The hardest part of the job was trying to stay awake on nightshift which was a twelve hour shift. Most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction with my fellow workers as we did our work.
Very professional Team environment
Dump truck operator (Former Employee) –  Newman, WA20 January 2015
Day/Night ops working along side large Haul Trucks in very busy production / open pit site/s. Professional Management / Support Staff there to assist as required. Harmonious working conditions & good camp FIFO lifestyle.
Self motivating professional and goal orientated
Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newman Australia6 January 2015
working at in a pre-dominately male working environment
working with diversity (Malaysia) and multi-lingual workplace
in both instances expectations were met.
Pros
social events
Cons
anti-social and unsafe working environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BHP Billiton. Our community is ready to answer.