BHP Billiton Management reviews

Excellent Job culture and workplace environment
Serviceman (Current Employee) –  Perth, WA5 December 2014
Management through to cleaners treated as equal within the living environment and excellent guidance and supervision offered.

Heathy and safe workplace

Where possible all opportunity taken to involve all employees as one team
Team
Bogger Operator (Current Employee) –  Leinster, WA26 November 2014
Management was ordinary at times. Too many Changes made on regular basis. Is to hard to work with and not many were workable. Good team of people to work with. Sift Supervisors were good down to earth people. The hardest part was management changing rules very often. The best part was week on week off. Is very good for family (Wife/Kids & Relationships) life. Food was not that good. Lots of workers with gastro regulary. Would help if they offered Health benefits as part of their salary package ie top cover with HBF added into wage package.
Pros
week on week off
Cons
rules changing monthly or so
Dream Job with great security
Plant Operator (Current Employee) –  Newman, WA30 October 2014
I work with a great bunch of people doing what we consider as the most challenging yet rewarding job on site. Challenging being, following plans and converting them into workable areas around site with limited time and machinery. Rewarding being, when we complete a job and it works well and it looks great. We then move onto the next job, our jobs are rarely static or boring. I have learnt a lot about taking pride in work and maintaining a great work ethic. Also how crippling an unsafe workplace and bad communication is. Unfortunately we are surrounded by ladder climbers and poor management. But the pay is great and the company does provide great security.
Pros
Operate state of the art machinery.
Cons
Putting up with all the politics used by bad management.
Varied and challenging
Yard Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Welshpool, WA6 October 2014
My job role as yard supervisor was varied and challenging. Most things went to plan but some of the time unexpected things just arises. This made that job great as you were always making decisions on the go. I learned that what you have planned in the week prior, there are always something unforeseen arising that you cannot plan for. The management were great in that they were very approachable and gave advice when needed, leaving you to run your section as you required. I had great direct reports who would go the extra mile to get things done. My co-workers were sometimes challenging, but everyone worked together to accomplish the required outcome. The hardest part of the job was working 12 hours then driving home in peak hour adding another hour to an hour and a half if raining, to get home. The most enjoyable part of this job was seeing the successful completion of planned work that all sections of the facility took part in as well as the camaraderie of all sections.
Pros
Camaraderie and money
Cons
The long drive home
Broad scope of electrical work
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Bunbury, ENG16 September 2014
-Communicate with previous team for handover.Then
-Anything that would break down electrically.Crushers ,feeders,conveyor systems,reclaimers ,ship loaders, stackers,power and lighting.
-Communication critical on down time of plant through management team.Engineer support.
The breakdown crew from Engineers to trades to TAs.It was always a team effort to fix things.
Hardest part -Finding that transducer,that isolator etc.Local knowledge very important
Most Enjoyable part-endless learning
Pros
Employee benefits
Cons
Harsh working conditions
Safety Manager BHP
Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Newman WA15 August 2014
 Implementation and sustainability strategies for CRM (Catastrophic Risk Management).
 Implement Management of Change and ensure compliance with procedures
 Implement and reinforce the requirements of the Fatal Risk Standards
 Developing processes and driving improvements around contractor safety
 Provide health and safety leadership and management capabilities
 Providing workplace inspections and audit programs and provide assistance with corrective actions and ensure the elimination/minimisation of substandard practices or conditions.
 Conduct inductions, toolbox talks, pre-starts and update records for trend analysis as well as auditing purposes.
Enjoyable work place
Process Technician (Former Employee) –  Newman, WA25 July 2014
Processing Iron Ore product
A lot of on job training everyday
Good Management
Excellent Co workers
A lot of walking up/down stairs at Screen house
Handing over to next shift
Pros
Good work mates
Excellent facilities
Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Driver, NT9 June 2014
Very long days with little time to relax.
Catering is quite good.
Good support from management.
Excellent pool and gym facilities.
Pros
Salary supplement for early flyin.
Cons
very long days
Great crew to work with
Developement/Dayworks (Former Employee) –  Area C Pilbara6 May 2014
A typical day at work involved getting out and about in the dirt making sure all the roads, dig areas and drill patterns were set up with traffic management and maintained to BHP standards.
I was given any training that was required to fore fill my position and learned a great deal about mining.
My co-workers were great to work with and we could always have a laugh while working as a team.
The hardest part of my job was during the summer working in 50 degree heat, the flies and dust.
I thoroughly enjoyed my job and was sad to leave the friends I had made and a job I was passionate about. It was time to find employment at home so I could be with my family a bit more.
Safety Security Officer
Mine Safety, Security & Emergency Response Officer (Former Employee) –  Moranbah Queensland13 April 2014
Mine access / egress control at Goonyella/Riverside Coal Mine.

Oversight of safety compliance on the minesite.

I learnt about mine safety compliance systems and procedures. I was involved in the Emergency Response team on the mine with enable me to participate and learn about Mine Rescue and Emergency response.

Management and I worked collaboratively to implement changes when the Security role was changed to incorporate Security and Emergency Response. I often provided support and advise to the Safety Superintendent whom often referred to my vast experiences and this assisted him to achieve his goals.

Coworkers often complained of the environment and conditions but I continued to maintain a positive ethos in order to achieve both personal and corporate goals.

The hardest part of the job at some times was the requirement to continually update and maintain skills, however I was able to achieve all required.

The most enjoyable part of the work I was working in a dynamic and challenging environment where I was able to continually learn new skills and contribute to corporate goals.
Pros
I worked a great roster and lived within a short distance.
Cons
There were often conflicting priorities amongst coworkers, I preferred a more collaborative workplace.
Challenging and rewarding work in WA Mining Industry
SAP Inventory - RLM Trainer - 1SAP Project (Former Employee) –  Perth, WA13 March 2014
BHP Billiton Iron Ore is one of several in the BHP Billiton group and is a diverse and challenging environment to work in. I enjoyed my work at the company as it provided opportunities for learning and career growth.

I learned much about mining operations for open cut iron ore mines and how we export our resources to China and other emerging economies. I learned much about the supply chain management processes and systems including Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES) which measure production processes from beginning to end.

I also spent several years working with their SAP implementation project globally. I held positions in Marketing and Group Functions Singapore, Stainless Steel Materials Nickel West, and Iron Ore Perth Australia. I now have extensive experience and background in SAP in the Materials Management (MM) area particularly Remote Logistics Management (RLM) and Procure to Pay (P2P).

The most enjoyable part of the job was having face to face contact with a diverse and wide range of people in Singapore and Perth and at mines in the Pilbara.. from Team Administrators right up to Managers, Vice Presidents and Executives I was able to add value across all areas of the business.

BHP Billiton West Australian Iron Ore (WAIO) have now implemented their portion of the global SAP project and are now embedding processes, stabilizing and optimizing their business after this 5 year business transformation to simplify, align and perform at best practice. The company has been a great place to work and I am grateful for the good relationships I have built and
  more... all the things I have learned. I think this company has a great future.  less
Pros
Diverse workforce, challenging work, ongoing opportunities, global workforce
Cons
Global mobility process's are too arduous and talent constrained, job preference is not necessarily given to project staff or contractors first
Return to BHP
Supervisor/All Round Operator (Former Employee) –  Yandi18 February 2014
A typical day is to finish the task you are given in the best time with the safest results. over the years I've learnt to operate machines in a productive and safe way, causing the least damage in the human, financial and environmental text. I understand management have a high stress level for production and I believe the vast majority still do there best to maintain a safe workplace. in all work places there will be people of different opinions and I recognise that, but, no matter what I will do what I can to help us all go home. For me the hardest part is not finishing my task even if its out of my control and the best bit is getting it done with no damage to anyone or anything
Pros
working
Cons
i hate being parked up with a passion
Awesome!
Master Data Cataloguer (Former Employee) –  Perth, WA18 February 2014
It was a great place to work. Learning from experienced management, earning amazing money, and getting to know really interesting people.
Enjoyed the balance of work and home life that a FIFO positions offers
Underground Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Leinster, WA2 February 2014
As an Underground Shift Supervisor with responsibility of 15 personnel and machinery was to ensure the safety of people and then to meet and exceed targets of production.
With 20 years of underground experience I have management to learn all aspects of mining and was always willing to learn from mentors to better myself.
I believe I was available to my co-workers for any needs they had and for setting achievable KPI's. Getting along with my co-workers was important to me as I was working with them continually.
The hardest part of this role was sometimes to keep personnel focused on the target ahead.
The most enjoyable part of my job was to ensure all of us were safe and to achieve the targets set.
production is a must but great working atmosphere
Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Newman, WA21 January 2014
great company to work for,good roster and good team enviroment which makes the day more pleasant as you are working long hours.The tonnes we aim to achive on a shift can be done without taking short cuts in a safe manner which gives you good job satisfaction.When you have management that is prepared work with and listen to experienced workers some ideas is always a win win and by far makes it a more enjoyable place to work.
Good company
Lead Integration Trainer (Former Employee) –  Australia16 November 2013
I learn about 1 SAP methodology and safety critical analysis for the plant maintenance work management. I work there only three weeks and I could not get access to the system during first two weeks.
Very productive and challenging assignment. Excellent team.
Senior mining cost engineer (Former Employee) –  Cannington9 November 2013
1. First thing in the morning was to prepare the past 24 hours production (location, stope description, drilling and stocks description, quality of ores at different ug locations, hauling and ore deliveries to the mill, major issues and problems related to mine production and planning), and roof support works by the contractor during the past 24 hours.
2. Attend the production meeting with the area mine managers, area supervisors, production engineers, geologists, planning engineers, safety officers and the general manager. Present the summary reports on production and quality and delivery statistics and ask questions to address issues in the next 24 hours. Advise adjustments and refinements required in the plans and production planning and drilling and blasting schedules for the next 24 hours.
3. Refine the production plans for the next 24 hours and for the week. Do refinements to meet monthly forecast/budget production meeting grade/quality delivery commitments to the Mill.
4. Collect all the cost data for the ore production and delivery to the mill.
5. Update the running KPIs to keep check and control on the forecast/budget mine and product schedules.
6. Coordinate with the Mill, roof support shotcreting contractor, planning engineers and the financial accountants to make comprehensive running reports for the management.
7. Liaise with the mine manager to do any needfuls.
8. Liaise with the mill manager to do any needfulls.

Enjoyed 12 hours shift with opportunity to have a longer weekends.
Pros
Very productive and contributive to the health of Cannington Mine, both operationally and cost wise. Satisfying.
Cons
Nothing much really.
Professionalism / Safety Culture / Team orientated / Flexibility
Port Operations - Shiploader (Former Employee) –  Groote Eylandt . NT.1 November 2013
A typical day was to facilitate the safe and efficient loading of various grades of Manganese ore onto Bulk Ore Ships for export . Tasks included Stockpile management/Stacking/Benching, Ore Sampling / Processing , Front End Loader operation , Port Security, Ships Lines Handling , Tug Operations/Linesman/Tug hand , Basic Maintenance .
Due to the irregular nature of Shipping schedules we learned to be flexible and worked when required to best serve the operation.
My co-workers and I very much worked as a team and prided ourselves on doing the best job possible whilst always practicing the highest safety standards .
Some of the hardest parts of the job for me were also some of the most enjoyable . Challenges frequently arose , however once they were conquered there was always a satisfying sense of achievement .Being flexible , working efficiently and safely within a close team environment and going home knowing that we had achieved the best we could was the best part of the job for me .
The Management were professional , safety focused and fair .
I would relish the chance to work for BHP again if given the opportunity .
Pros
Job security, Safety Culture, Training opportunities
Cons
Interaction with different faces in the working sites
Fork Lifting & store keeping (Current Employee) –  WA1 September 2013
The most enjoyable part of the job
Long hours services
Learning Experience.
Good Management.
The co-workers relations.
The hardest part of the job is wild environment&the dust for the site
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Project analyst to minimise locomotive delays due (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland, WA14 August 2013
Great place with good benefits, management was good and very supportive.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Working in remote areas

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BHP Billiton. Our community is ready to answer.