BHP Employee Reviews

MECHANICAL / MARINE CONSTRUCTION SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Various1 November 2019
Was only casual embedded contractor
very busy work days
good roster and paid flights
extremely good rates during the boom.
work was not steady, always chasing.
Not much direction in IT. Too many meetings and strict requirements requiring drug/alcohol testing and being on time and working late.
Storage Engineer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC30 October 2019
I worked in IT, so based in a city office, but had to go to the mine site occasionally, which is a nightmare. Daily 8AM meetings, which I think were just to make sure you were there by 8AM every day. Lack of co-ordination or direction from management.
It depends on the area and people you work for.
Execution Engineer (Former Employee) –  Olympic Dam SA13 October 2019
Very top end heavy on systems and procedures/safety.
Was very stressful with very high expectations just to get things done with little guidance or help. People that have been there for some time have work arounds that get them through rather than following specific systems or procedures. Emphasis seems to be just get if done to cover your tracks rather than deliver something where you consider and treat people well. the good talkers seem to progress well rather than the real doers. I think it depends a lot on the department and the management that you will be under as i did come across areas where people were treated as valuable and were supported well. I think i just had a bad experience in a department that was in turmoil.
Not good place to work as a contractor
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA21 September 2019
You get treated like a second class citizen if you are a contractor , not inclusive as they make out to be . Never got trained in anything the whole time i was there.
Pros
Leaving
Cons
Contracting
Hard yakka
All Rounder, trucks, grader, forklift. (Former Employee) –  Goonyella Riverside, Moranbah.18 September 2019
If you're single, fit, non smoker, social drinker, fit for shift work and have a goal then this is the job for you. In camp accommodation, air-conned, fully catered for almost resort style, bus to and from work, air flights or drive.
The job is demanding even stressful, 12 hr shifts, 7 on 7 off average, requires a strict routine but the pay off is awesome and certainly makes paying off a house a breeze.
Excellent Company and facilities to work in
(HAYS Contractor) / Brisbane CBD, QLD (Former Employee) –  Brisbane Central Business District QLD7 August 2019
Just worked for a short period of time as a contractor, but now it is my main goal to find a temporal job in this company. Facilities and wellbeing policies are amazing. Easy going and good infrastructure.
Hard to work for
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Newman WA1 August 2019
They always pay you on time, but that is where the positives stop.
I've worked for this company for 8 years. Its gradually gotten worse for middle aged men.
There is no progression pathways (contrary to what the tell you when you apply).
They constantly move the goal posts, camp has gotten worse and worse over the past 5 years, working conditions are sub standard and none of the middle management team seem to listen.
They have inexperienced people in supervisory roles and they are an equal outcome company.
Equal outcome is an extremely dangerous program and will ultimately kill someone.
I would not recommend working for BHP.
Worst job I have ever had!
Rail (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA23 July 2019
The place is beyond backwards. HR and General Managers in a purple circle who enable a savage and toxic culture to exist. You might get some extra cash but in return you will sell your soul, your family and precious moments in the process and it’s just not worth it. Don’t forget you’re just a number no matter how much you work your butt off, no matter what you sacrifice to be there.
very productive and flexible place of work focused on employees personal development and workplace fulfillment
PRINCIPAL TECHNOLOGY BUSINESS PARTNER (Current Employee) –  Perth Central Business District WA7 May 2019
A typical day at work involved core routine meetings .The culture of the organisation is focused on inclusion and diversity which makes this company great towork in
Its good we can use the wifi
GENERAL SERVICCES MINER (Former Employee) –  Olympic Dam SA7 April 2019
Need to be more organised with tools, equipment, cars, and heavy machinery.
Need more crews on shift to finish jobs, and need people to be more safety aware.
Pros
1hr lunch breaks
Cons
Needs to look out for their workers
Good work place
Warehouse Operator (Former Employee) –  Newman WA18 January 2019
• Loading and unloading of trucks , containers , vans
• Order picking
• Packing loads for safe transport
• Stock binning
• Stock counting
• Investigations on goods returned to warehouse (RTW’S)
• Constant LMS Training courses
• Handling of dangerous goods and how to identify a DG HAZARD
BHP Olympic game do not make the mistake of working here!!
Road maintenance (Former Employee) –  Roxby Downs Olympic dam12 January 2019
BHP Olympic Dam. This place is absolute shambles!! I worked there for a year it was the worst time of my life!! It is run by juvenile delinquents bullet-proof men under 30 just do what they want! Management like supervises HR inspectors i’m morbidly obese middle age men which constantly flirt with young women coming in now( it’s like the Love boat) get their mates contracts with BHP constantly smoking down there you’re not allowed! I encountered workplace bullying sexual misconduct tormented by management victimised by other staff managements job for the Mate!! I had severe depression so they told me in an hour before my shift on my longer there no excuse!! I complained high up in BHP nothing got done!! And this just did not happen to me and happened to others Olympic Dam is a shocking place to work for BHP do not care!! Because it is careless on safety someone will die near the next 3 to 4 years unfortunately
Pros
Nothing good about Olympic Dam
Cons
Long hours average to good pay
fun workplace
Shutdown Fitter (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA6 January 2019
Carry out daily inspections of plant,reporting defects,keeping the plant running .Great place to work leadership and safety are a big focus with the company.
Pros
great work mates
Cons
swimming pool & hot shower,s& onsweet,s
electrical. fitter/machanic (Former Employee) –  Newcastle NSW3 January 2019
pulu bilatung and add on to bhp dutch bullay,s mine their ritch island in indoneisa speak circhill indo(little).served 4 year,s as electriccal/fitter machanic.good mob to work for.
Pros
good tucker.
Cons
sirfishant time @ on site.
Good place to work with benefits
Crew Development Officer - Rail Operations (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA2 January 2019
BHP looked after their staff very well when I first started work there but it slowly declined over the years with cuts to staff and a lot of the benefits abolished
Pros
Salary
Cons
Long Hours and hot climate
My employer had ethnic culture issues
Dump Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA27 December 2018
This company employed a gang of ethnic cultured staff who had no knowledge of safety nor was their english good , most could not communicate to advise them their were safety issues with their work practises.Croations.
Pros
2 Teams aussie and others
Cons
If my machine was required communication was difficult
Fun workplace but no job Secured
Business Improvement Analyst (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD18 November 2018
A typical work day has so many meetings, some productive but many non-productive to many of them. Management don't treat you as a person but just a robot. I wont go to BHP again
Pros
worklife balance
Cons
short break, no job security
Mt Keith was a great place to work
Mechanical Technician/ Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Perth WA15 November 2018
With a great work life balance and co-workers that were awesome to work with. I would recommend anyone to give BHP a try. Their level of training is extremely high
Great job
Underground Metalliferous Miner/Operator (Current Employee) –  Olympic Dam SA25 October 2018
Great job learnt alot of things working in this environment the company cares alot about its employees and very understanding i woild recommend this company for all looking to start a job in mining
Pros
Great people
Cons
Working away from family
A good team, perhaps leaning towards the corporation v Aboriginal cause - the nature of the business.
Community Development Officer (Former Employee) –  Newman WA21 October 2018
There are very skilled and dedicated people in the community section of BHP's workplace. There was good interaction and regular meetings - 500 km distance between team members in the two offices. Training, safety and a pleasant workplace were strong.
I came from a position where I worked closer to the communities we served, it took some time to see our role to be at a higher order of organisation. However, there were several NGOs contracted to bring services to people more directly. workplace, work times, opportunities were all at a high level. Corporate vision of Aboriginal wellbeing was strongly stated and tackled. Maybe a closer evaluation of impacts and follow-up when constraints stopped progress could have helped strengthen the effective impact of BHP's great resources and support in regard to the social effects among the Martu people.
Pros
training, regular communication, conditions broad programs approach
Cons
focal point for community development sometimes missed the individual people on the ground.